Graupensuppe

[MOC] Vostok 1 - The first manned spaceflight

I'm a big fan of the Saturn V and the other NASA spacecraft, but I've been wanting to build one of the Soviet rockets with their distinctive shape for a long time as well. This is a 429-piece, 38 cm model of the famous Vostok rocket in which Yuri Gagarin made the first human spaceflight:

5659366-Wostok.lxf4ErsatzSticker-thumbna

5659371-Wostok.lxf5Ersatz-thumbnail-full

5659376-Wostok.lxf6Ersatz-thumbnail-full

5659381-Wostok.lxf7Ersatz-thumbnail-full

Since space-related projects seem to be popular these days I also submitted this on Ideas!

By the way, after building this I realized the scale of the model is pretty close to that of the Saturn V - somewhere between 1:100 and 1:106.

Hey @Graupensuppe

This is easily the best looking Soyuz/R7 lego depiction I've seen to date. Obviously, some of my favorite other Soyuz MOCs: 

KEI ABE: Minifig-Scale Soyuz-1-2
KEI ABE: Micro-scale Soyuz R7
Luis Peña: Apollo-Soyuz Test Project
Sunder_59: Soyuz 7K-T
Tyler/Legohaulic: Soyuz                     (which I actually managed to re-create on my own quite successfully)
Brickmania: Vostok 1                         (ludicrously priced for what you actually get in my opinion)

Just from looking at the pictures, I seem to have most of the elements required for this build. (though many colors my differ) 

If you're willing to share some more information with me, I would love to put one together myself to help determine the viability of some of the techniques and connections. If you prefer to keep parts lists and files close to the chest, I also understand that as well.

Amazing work. Supported!

@ curtquarquesso: If you PM me an email address I can send you the LDD file. (I have to admit though, as yet I have no idea how stable this model would be in real life!)

Edited by Graupensuppe

51 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

@ curtquarquesso: If you PM me an email address I can send you the LDD file. (I have to admit though, as yet I have no idea how stable this model would be in real life!)

For whatever reason, eurobricks says that I can send "0 private messages per day". My email is simply curtquarquesso@gmail.com  :)

I've made some improvements to the model. The four booster stages are now removable, and I reduced the diameter of the core stage where the boosters are attached. Nevertheless the entire model should be more stable. Furthermore, I've designed an alternate stand that holds the model horizontally.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/0630bb23-59e5-4eb4-8ba0-a1c88c5e8602/updates

us0cxpp.png

YcjcdxF.png

BGhRTSN.png

s8EdJfX.png

Edited by Graupensuppe

Wow, that is amazing!  I didn't think it was possible to get such accurate shaping on the four side boosters, but you've really nailed it!!

Supporter #2710 :grin:

Hi @Graupensuppe!! My name is Sasha, i´m a big fan of spacecrafts and rockets, specialy Saturn V, I have it and its probably my favorite Lego piece, but I think that Soviet rocketry should be more represented in the LEGO IDEAS series. I saw your model and some of the Soyuz ones uploaded by other people and i supported them all, unfortunately none of them had been succesfull.

Since my mother is Russian and was born the 10th of april 1961 she have always had a connection with it all and probably thats why i am interested on it as well. Anyway, now I´m really trying to push one of the projects of the Soyuz that currently have some months left, i started moving it arround and managed to contact and show it to Sergei Krikaliov, former astronaut (its a long story but he came to my town in the 90s to a presentation in the science museum and my mother was his translator,) and he LOVED it, so Roscosmos posted it on their facebook and twitter and some Russian journalists have contacted me as well, if its okay with you i will tell them about your Vostok project too, I thought that maybe you would like to post it again since now it would have more publicity. :pir-grin:

I absolutely loved your Vostok, it´s easily the best depiction out there, i fell in love with it as soon as i saw it, I would love to make it as a present for my mothers 60th anniversary but my skill level is not good enough to sort it out by myself yet. :pir-cry_sad:

P.S.: here is the Soyuz model i was talking about, im really excited because i really think this one have a shot on becoming a real Lego set. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8069be55-7d88-4010-a8da-a79b676d49c0

Thank you for even reading till this point and keep up the good work!!!:thumbup:

Hi @Graupensuppe,

I've been looking for a Vostok 1 model to go with my Saturn V rocket for ages, and yours is amazing and I would love to build it!

Is there any chance you could send me the LDD file to my email address: r_rattray@hotmail.com

Many thanks!

I just found this thread and i gotta say thank you. I've been looking for some Ariane MOCs for some time.

You just made my day :)