1 hour ago, rm8 said:

42110 could be a hidden code. Model should be 110 inch wheelbase, that means 5 door version 

https://www.motor1.com/news/301323/2020-land-rover-defender-spied/

Good spot! 

I know a while back I said they should do a defender, and now that they are, I feel a little ungrateful for not jumping for joy! But we really don't know much about TLGs execution of the idea. Will it be based on the boxey old iconic classic defender, used by the SAS with steel box section for bumpers, tackling mountains with pure mechanical might that could be repaired in the desert with nothing but basic tools and a welder with its live axles and beefy leaf springs, or will it be based on this new non iconic plastic electronic gizmo with its lower ground clearance and boring independent suspension that looks better suited for the local farm?! Or will there be a choice with the A model being the new and the B model being the icon? Will TLGs version be authentic with both main and transfer gearboxes, or will its authenticity be only skin deep? 

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I’d be surprised if the next Defender comes in multiple wheelbases, at least to start with.

Do you mean the real one or the Lego one? I think the real one will come in 90, 110 and pickup version, with other versions on top of that from elemental to luxury. Yup. A luxury, plastic bumper sporting, independent suspension and infotainment center having defender! It's not like they already have the range rover or discovery :innocent:.  I wish them well but, with the classic defender being the thing JLR hangs it's rugged off road reputation on, turning it into a bloated namby pamby electronic gizmo probably isn't so great....

...and on that bombshell....

55 minutes ago, allanp said:

...will there be a choice with the A model being the new and the B model being the icon?...

If there will be a B model at all..as it's not so clear nowadays...

Another thoughts: we saw different LEGO models presented simultaneously with real models: BMW 1200gs, Mack Anthem, Porsche GT3 RS. So it looks like a good tradition and marketing step to release new Defender LEGO set together with real model, not old classic def, not Range Rover... the next important note: since LR present  DEF as the #best4x4xFar, off-road  functions as 4x4 and suspension should be important points of model together with iconic design. If it will be powered with motors, it will be 4x4 remote driven to underline accent on 4x4 off-road capabilities. Ok, according to price, it can be mid scale model with 62 mm wheels. Safest way to make it driven: L motor (powered up of course) on each axle with differentials + Servo steered. I believe they can release some unique parts for these set, for example new remote control, wheel or even tire. But the most interesting question here: how can they build independent suspensions (yes Defender   is with independent suspension on both axles, as based on Discovery). It should use some new driveshaft parts, as they can also be used at new crawler set 42099. 

Or may be it’s just big mechanical model as 42096 wit a lot of holes and compromises....?!

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Good spot! 

I know a while back I said they should do a defender, and now that they are, I feel a little ungrateful for not jumping for joy! But we really don't know much about TLGs execution of the idea. Will it be based on the boxey old iconic classic defender, used by the SAS with steel box section for bumpers, tackling mountains with pure mechanical might that could be repaired in the desert with nothing but basic tools and a welder with its live axles and beefy leaf springs, or will it be based on this new non iconic plastic electronic gizmo with its lower ground clearance and boring independent suspension that looks better suited for the local farm?! Or will there be a choice with the A model being the new and the B model being the icon? Will TLGs version be authentic with both main and transfer gearboxes, or will its authenticity be only skin deep? 

Do you mean the real one or the Lego one? I think the real one will come in 90, 110 and pickup version, with other versions on top of that from elemental to luxury. Yup. A luxury, plastic bumper sporting, independent suspension and infotainment center having defender! It's not like they already have the range rover or discovery :innocent:.  I wish them well but, with the classic defender being the thing JLR hangs it's rugged off road reputation on, turning it into a bloated namby pamby electronic gizmo probably isn't so great....

...and on that bombshell....

I can’t imagine any utility version of new def with independent suspension and without ladder frame. I think they just closed the door to utility and heavy-duty off-roader market. This should be just fashion stylish retro-look off-roader, SUV. 

As great as it would be to have RC defender, it does seem highly unlikely, as the most basic RC models usually cost $100 US with only around 300 pieces. So I think if this set was to be RC it would have to be very small and lacking almost all functions, if the price we are hearing is accurate. 

2 hours ago, allanp said:

Yeah, RC at this price point I fear would make it very basic. 

But on the other hand, if it's not RC then does the high price mean a high part count? So then it must either be very big or have many functions? I can't imagine many functions besides the obvious (engine, suspension, steering) nor can I justify a big scale vehicle. There is a daunting third possibility: that the license has driven up the price.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

Yeah, RC at this price point I fear would make it very basic. 

I can’t agree. Almost 200 euro is enough for set with 1000-1200 parts, 3 motors and remote control (remember 9398, 41999). That Crawlers was huge and less detailed comparing to models with smaller wheel and body size and the same part count.

check my Toyota trucks at my YouTube, or Madoka’s models -

they are 1000-1200 pcs with 2 or 3 motors and rc.

Usually, moc BL cost is two time more than LEGO set with same part count and inventory structure, so my mid scale off-roaders with RC and 62 mm wheels cost about 350-450 euro. This mean that this moc as official set should cost about 200 euro. 

One thing I am 100% sure: this Land Rover will not be another 42093 Chevrolet Corvette?

All Info is my speculation.

11 minutes ago, rm8 said:

I can’t agree. Almost 200 euro is enough for set with 1000-1200 parts, 3 motors and remote control (remember 9398, 41999). That Crawlers was huge and less detailed comparing to models with smaller wheel and body size and the same part count.

Usually, moc BL cost is two time more than LEGO set with same part count and inventory structure, so my mid scale off-roaders with RC and 62 mm wheels cost about 350-450 euro. This mean that this moc as official set should cost about 200 euro. 

One thing I am 100% sure: this Land Rover will not be another 42093 Chevrolet Corvette?

I would sure like the set to be like this and I hope you are right. I just feel like for 180 euro it would be more like 1 motor, 1 servo and around 700 pieces, time will tell. I am greatly looking forward to finding out for sure. 

And yes Corvette was ghastly, just tore mine down for parts, which actually were not to bad. 

Edited by Johnny1360

Isn't 42110 the next in line to 42056 and 42083? I'm certain, unlike we hope for, it won't get RC but would rather get high part count and complex functions. Besides, the brand royalty. B model is also not probable. 

Will it include the tough spring which is now a rare expensive part?

95292c01.jpg

Edited by Samer
Additional thoughts

2 hours ago, Samer said:

Isn't 42110 the next in line to 42056 and 42083? I'm certain, unlike we hope for, it won't get RC but would rather get high part count and complex functions. Besides, the brand royalty. B model is also not probable. 

Will it include the tough spring which is now a rare expensive part?

spring type is determined by vehicle weight, so if it will be heavy as Unimog U400 you can expect it (I have the same in my Unimog U400)

14 hours ago, rm8 said:

However, we have non-licensed 42099 with less than 1000 pcs that costs 230€.

I still think this will be a 1HY 2020 set similar to the 42069 Extreme Adventure in part count and size. No PF as per all recent 1HY flagships.

Edited by valenciaeric

My take is that they will time it with actual car debut (Oct-ish of 2019) and for this price we will get 3rd in line after Porsche and Bugatti

btw love the topic diversions (electricity behind the iron curtain, age, beans)  Being 40 I feel like my profile avatar :)

Edited by Gzynek2323

As I said earlier the main car show towards the end of the year for launches is Frankfurt in September. So if we are getting a new licenced car I'd look to launches then.

My comment about the Defender replacement is based around all the spy shots so far have been of a single variant in terms of wheelbase and body style. When you have multiple bodystyles of a single vehicle you often stagger their releases so it makes it a lot easier for ironing out the errors in initial production build, trust me I know a bit on this topic :)

I'll be looking forward to whatever it is

2 hours ago, Gzynek2323 said:

My take is that they will time it with actual car debut (Oct-ish of 2019) and for this price we will get 3rd in line after Porsche and Bugatti

At the current rate, the successor to the 42083 Bugatti Chiron will not be out until next year. My guess is that the price tag will climb north of the €400 mark.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:01 AM, Seasider said:

As I said earlier the main car show towards the end of the year for launches is Frankfurt in September. So if we are getting a new licenced car I'd look to launches then.

My comment about the Defender replacement is based around all the spy shots so far have been of a single variant in terms of wheelbase and body style. When you have multiple bodystyles of a single vehicle you often stagger their releases so it makes it a lot easier for ironing out the errors in initial production build, trust me I know a bit on this topic :)

I'll be looking forward to whatever it is

Off Topic sorry, but I wont be looking forward to any new so called Defender. I have two 110s myself. 

I am looking forward to the new parts in several of the new sets, especially the excavator and if the rumours are correct new hubs in the crawler, I will delay building my AC300 axles until I have these parts.

Think the set I'm most interested in is the spider crane. Arocs gear racks in yellow? Still excited. :thumbup: Plus, who doesn't want to make 42061 into a JCB? :laugh:

4 hours ago, Ivan_M said:

So bauma is getting closer and aparently there will be some Lego models on Liebherr booth:

40396869103_41bfbfc04e_c.jpg#Bauma2019 #Töbydesign #Lego #Liebherr by Tobias, on Flickr

sooo maybe there will be 42100 displayed as well? Anyone going to Bauma?

Maybe I will...but it's not sure yet. But if I go, I will surely make pictures!?

7 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Think the set I'm most interested in is the spider crane. Arocs gear racks in yellow? Still excited. :thumbup: Plus, who doesn't want to make 42061 into a JCB? :laugh:

We're not sure they are yellow though are we? Or will be in the final version.

8 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Plus, who doesn't want to make 42061 into a JCB? :laugh:

It could be done with black also...

516-40-jcb-telehandler-500x500.jpg

I won't be spoil sport, but have feeling that gear rack housing is light bluish gray (because we already have it since 2017...)

On 3/10/2019 at 10:54 AM, Seasider said:

I’d be surprised if the next Defender comes in multiple wheelbases, at least to start with.

I have found an article about new defender with 5 images (only it is in German...)

https://www.motorsport-total.com/auto/news/land-rover-defender-2020-was-wir-ueber-die-neuauflage-wissen-19031304

...it is about short wheelbase (model 90) and long (model 110). Defender is based on discovery platform and will have inline 4 cylinder gasoline, diesel engines and hybrid...off course they write that model will have same off-road capability as classic which was produced until 2016

Edited by I_Igor
Added additional information