I saw some of this on Instagram this morning. Very interesting and slightly annoying as I’d invested in an sbrick not too long ago and it looks like this will do the same. Very happy to see there will be adapted cables for the current PF system stuff. I assume we’ll see the H2 sets soon too now that this is out

The lineup of various batterybox/hub elements seems rather bloated to me. Do we really need all these different types?

Edited by skppo

I took a closer look at the photos and tried to create quick mock-ups to compare the dimensions. I have to correct myself, the L motor seems to be longer as well. The PU variant seems to be 3x3x9 studs compared to the PF version's 3x3x7 studs:

PU_PF_L_motor_compared_2_fb_ret-1024x512

The PU XL seems to be 5x5x8 studs compared to the PF XL's 5x5x6 studs:

PU_PF_XL_motor_compared_LDCAD_fb_ret.jpg

I posted an article about it, it has some more photos and thoughts if your are interested.

PU_motors.jpg

Isn't the motor to the left of the train motor a servo?  The green motors, although for Education sets, could be used as servo's also. 

And, I am wondering if the LED's can be programmed to blink/strobe?

@kbalage 3x3x8 maybe for the L motor? Seems similar length, or 1 stud shorter than XL in the diagram, but XL seems similar in length to the prime ones (9 studs?)

I'm waiting (and waiting and waiting...) for more info about Land Rover 

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Anyone else see that coming?

Hardly surprising lol, the A model's also a crane

2 hours ago, dimaks13 said:

42097's B is compact tower crane. 42098's is truck with show cars.

So like tower crane with 4 deployable stabilizers? This set can turn out to resemble 42042. The undercarriage is the same for both models.

How is "truck with show cars" different from the A model though? 

A search for compact tower crane results in these

mini-tower-crane-for-construction-sites-

CON2031.jpg

Hình ảnh có liên quan

The first thing that came to my mind when I read truck with show car is this.

Disney-Pixar-Cars-Toys-No-95-Lightning-M

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

23 hours ago, kbalage said:

@JonathanM I compared it to this photo, this seems to be 9 studs for me.

e1ce713c-ea6b-45b3-b28a-2436088fe878.jpg

I did some relative measurements on that picture, indicating a length of 8 studs.

26 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

I did some relative measurements on that picture, indicating a length of 8 studs.

It's gotta be 9 studs, it's primarily a Technic piece.

Untitled.png

4 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

It's gotta be 9 studs, it's primarily a Technic piece.

Thanks for shining a beam on that matter, Barty.

I'll, er, show myself out. :look:

But not before talking about 42097 some more! So it continues the semi-trend of cranes having tower-based B-models, following in the footsteps of 8288, 8270 and 42042. Will it be a whole alternate build, or the ol' rearrange-the-boom routine?

Updated my article based on some recent visuals, the L motor really seems to be 3x3x8 studs. My estimation for the Control+ hub is 5x9x9.

PU_PF_cover_2_EB_ret.jpg

Klemmbausteinlyrik posted an interview with the PU team and there are some interesting updates in it:

- Both the new L and XL motors have position encoding, so in theory they can act as a servo. We’ll see if that means we don’t get a new dedicated servo at all.
- PF-PU adapter is still an open question, the team needs to clarify what it should do and how they can ensure to avoid false expectations, e.g. to be expected to work with PF IR or WeDo sensors
- Lack of rechargeable battery - also an open question, as they say the possibility is there with the removable battery holder in both hubs (although it does not add in-hub charging)

I hope there is a way to stack outputs, but it doesn't look like this is the case.  Most of my mocs use two drive motors, and I've always stacked the plugs on one IR port.  Now, it looks like I'll have to use two ports on the hub, and I presume there is a way to link outputs together in the app.   Adding lights and such can use up ports pretty fast too!  What I used to do with one BB and 4 IR Receivers may now require three bulky hubs!   I really want to see some way to stack port outputs!  The new PU system really seems to take up a lot of space, and I'm not a fan of having to have a whole new set of batteries for every four outputs.

So far I don't have a good impression about the new motors. I mean it is nice to see an evolution, also the shapes can be better integrated, but they could have add some nice surface / design on the moulds. These motors look just cheap to me: plane surfaces, hard - but not very sophisticated -edges. It will be not that much pleasure to take in hand them, as the previous ones - especially the old L motor (which is a design masterpiece in my opinion!), but the old XL had the beefy bull feel as well.

I believe the branding got hurt with these design language, and set the power functions into a lower class product zone.

Edited by agrof