7 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

[...] price-per-piece count on licensed sets vs. non-licensed?

I guess it depends on the license but the first comparison that comes to mind is this, even though the former set has some 300 more parts as well as li'l bit of electronics:

https://brickset.com/sets/42055-1/Bucket-Wheel-Excavator

https://brickset.com/sets/42083-1/Bugatti-Chiron

The Volvo (as will be the Liebherr) is a different kettle of fish. The price per part is high but the set comes with four motors, two IR receivers and two IR controllers. My guess is that luxury car licenses are much more expensive than heavy machinery ones. Or maybe TLG have figured out that they can speculate much more on luxury car models so they gouge worse than a griffin on 'roids.

Edited by suffocation

17 hours ago, andythenorth said:

Always the same crap about licensed sets cost more.  It's *not* Star Wars.

Anyone sensible got the price-per-piece count on licensed sets vs. non-licensed?

lego_opt.jpg.d07f692bdab465c7c8ab0003685490e1.jpg

Just one example:

Just what I needed, another reason not to buy the 6x6 All Terrain Tow Truck. Wait that has always been my reason. 

The 'license fee' thing is mega lolz.   

The 'license fee' Lego 'pay' to Mercedes or Volvo will look like this:

• Mercedes or Volvo license, for free, Lego to use their intellectual property in designs and trademarks
  • Lego commit that Mercedes and Volvo will have a sign-off right on multiple design phases, to check the set is close enough to Mercedes or Volvo brand values
  • Mercedes or Volvo commit to provide Lego with €xxxx worth of media spending and marketing events

I co-founded an ad company that works with licensed IP from entertainment franchises like Star Wars and Transformers and with vehicle manufacturers like Audi and Mercedes. 

They're pretty different arrangements.  The licensed entertainment IP costs a crapload for the license (we don't pay that, our clients do), and everything is signed-off right up the wazoo by the licensor.  We've had site inspections and all kinds of stuff by people from Hollywood. 

Meanwhile the car companies just want a good news story, and they'll spend to get it.

Get me, I am the big I am eh?  What a tool I must look like.

Anyway the table shows that there's no specific trend where licensed Technic costs more than, it's just a jumble of price-per-piece. 

Lego probably just price Technic at what they think people will pay.  PPP is weird anyway, cos some pieces are like 0.5g or something, and others are 30g or whatever.

Edited by andythenorth

I suspect price per kilogram gives a more constant figure than price per piece, but I'm too lazy to run the number. Though 'complex' pieces like electronics, pneumetics, LAs, etc are obviously extra.

I see that in the last days TLG is releasing images of many summer sets (city, star wars, ninjago, Harry potter...).

So can we expect something also for Technic??

15 minutes ago, mpj said:

I see that in the last days TLG is releasing images of many summer sets (city, star wars, ninjago, Harry potter...).

Time will tell.

8 hours ago, mpj said:

The ones shown are all June releases. Technic is not.

Looking at the offroader, I think it uses 8 of the red shock absorbers, two per each arm. Each of those shock absorbers can support about 500 grams before it starts to retract.

That means we can support a total weight of 4kg at one stud suspension travel.

if the model weighs around 1 kilogram, we can calculate that we can expect around 4 studs of suspension travel from each wheel.

I hope that the planetary gear drive uses rounded planetary gears which can also act like a CV joint receptacle, allowing for a pivot point near or inside the wheel.

Edited by Zerobricks

53 minutes ago, Zerobricks said:

Looking at the offroader ...

Do you mean 42099?? Are there pictures of this set floating around in the wild???

As a fan of Technic who was already a member of EB before getting abducted to Billund, it's just natural that he still hangs around here.

23 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

What does he know that we don't...? :look:

Lots.

What can't he share with us? Also lots.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

As a fan of Technic who was already a member of EB before getting abducted to Billund, it's just natural that he still hangs around here.

Lots.

What can't he share with us? Also lots.

True true. It's great to he him browsing the site :thumbup:

4 hours ago, allanp said:

True true. It's great to he him browsing the site :thumbup:

He probably got himself some pocorn and is enjoying the show :laugh:

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Wonder if he designed anything from the H2 wave?

Probably he was busy with something from H2 because (if I know correctly) he did not have anything from H1

On 4/25/2019 at 10:31 AM, andythenorth said:

Anyway the table shows that there's no specific trend where licensed Technic costs more than, it's just a jumble of price-per-piece. 

Lego probably just price Technic at what they think people will pay.  PPP is weird anyway, cos some pieces are like 0.5g or something, and others are 30g or whatever.

I have tried to point this out to others like a billion times.  It does not stick.  I think I even made a post on it years ago.  Weight in box (although that certainly comes with error as well, manual, etc) has a much stronger relationship with price than does number of pieces in the set.  I ran an analysis on it years ago with like 200 sets, spanning like a decade worth of Lego, so the data is pretty robust.  Still, folks don't really want to listen.  Also, the relationship is not linear.  The larger the set, the more redundancy there is in it.  On average, the larger the set the lower the PPP (or in my case, price per gram) (again, not linear).  in the analyses I did years ago, it recommended groups set in approx. 0-1000, 1001-2500, then 2501 and up should be compared against eachother for PPP (or PPG - price per gram).  Compared these groups against eachother was like comparing apples to oranges.

On 4/25/2019 at 12:29 PM, pleegwat said:

I suspect price per kilogram gives a more constant figure than price per piece, but I'm too lazy to run the number. Though 'complex' pieces like electronics, pneumetics, LAs, etc are obviously extra.

Sorry - I did not see this until now.  You are correct.  I have posted on this before.  The relationship between Price Per Gram is quite a bit stronger than PPP. 

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Some online stores now list 42097 as Compact Crawler Crane instead of Spider Crane.

Makes sense considering that's what a spider crane essentially, and most commonly, is.

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Makes sense considering that's what a spider crane essentially, and most commonly, is.

Plus, those blurry enough images still were clear to talk about the caterpillar or crawler gears, not wheels.

I am sure this has been dealt with - but this is the problem with threads that are 79 pages long and literally hundreds of comments:

But shouldn't we be getting some updates soon in terms of the summer sets?  Pictures, releases? 4th of May there usually is something big released.  Any news?  Summer is right around the corner

45 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

But shouldn't we be getting some updates soon in terms of the summer sets?  Pictures, releases? 4th of May there usually is something big released.  Any news?  Summer is right around the corner

All the pictures have been for  June waves of sets. 

Technic usually gets new sets for August , as has been the case for many years now.

So far  (German price in Euro)

42097 Spider Crane - 920 parts €89,99

42098 Car Transporter - 2493 parts €149,99 

42099 4×4 Extreme All-Terrain Vehicle - 958 parts €229,99 

42100 Liebherr R9800  - 4108 parts €449,99

Source https://www.bouwsteentjes.info/nieuws-lego-technic-42100-liebherr-r9800-onthuld/ (Dutch)

Edited by TeriXeri

How damn "Extreme" is this bloody off roader? Near enough the same amount of parts as 42097, but it's nearly thrice the price! Does it run on tritium or something? *huh*