With due respect, may I recommend to you gentlemen that the intended reason and purpose of this discussion assembly may not cover the unsubstantiated prospect of upcoming automobile replicas? /in British middle class accent and Victorian era conversational style/

I think Lego should make a “Back to the Future car”.

Then  we would not have to speculate !

7 minutes ago, Doug72 said:

I think Lego should make a “Back to the Future car”.

Then  we would not have to speculate !

Wow! It sounds too good to be true!

With all these car coming in December (I know it is speculation/rumors) there better be a F1 style of car whether it be the “supercar” (42093) or the “GT Car” (42096). It’s been 5-6 years since they released this type of car and they could introduce some really good pieces with it, especially in the A-Arms. 

3 hours ago, Jack Bloomer said:

With all these car coming in December (I know it is speculation/rumors) there better be a F1 style of car whether it be the “supercar” (42093) or the “GT Car” (42096). It’s been 5-6 years since they released this type of car and they could introduce some really good pieces with it, especially in the A-Arms. 

Neither name suggests anything f1 like, so dont get your hopes up

I dunno if I’d consider the possibility of an F1 or an open wheel racer. If it was I really feel like they’d go with a name like “Formula Racer” or “Grand Prix Racer” (42000 was actually called that!), not “GT Supercar”. There’s quite a distinct difference there. If it was an F1 racer they’d want to market it as close to an F1 racer as possible.

On 8/12/2018 at 1:42 AM, Hogwartus said:

I hope they will still use PF instead of PU, as those systems are not compatible and i don't want to throw away all my pf parts to buy pu components...

Also sorry but why on Earth would you throw out perfectly good PF elements? It’s not like they’ve suddenly stopped working. You’re still free to build with them.

3 hours ago, Bartybum said:

I dunno if I’d consider the possibility of an F1 or an open wheel racer. If it was I really feel like they’d go with a name like “Formula Racer” or “Grand Prix Racer” (42000 was actually called that!), not “GT Supercar”. There’s quite a distinct difference there. If it was an F1 racer they’d want to market it as close to an F1 racer as possible.

Pretty much, Lego tend to name their vehicles close enough to leave no doubt as to what they are supposed to be, but far away enough to sidestep any licensing issues ("grand prix racer", "24 hour race car")

Supercar probably refers to something which you might find in the speed champions lineup, but not race related, and going by the set size i would gamble no license, so a generic supercar. The "GT car" would probably be something GT3 racer-like, licensed could be an option here, as $150 would leave room to do justice to a proper licensed car ($50 imho does not, and i dont see why a car manufacturer would agree to that), but there is still the porsche GT3 RS which would dwarf a $150 set, and again im not sure if any brand would like playing second fiddle that badly.

I would absolutely throw my wallet at TLC though, if it turns out the GT car is a Ferrari 488 GT3/GTE, imho we are loooong overdue for a technic/racers style ferrari

1 minute ago, dimaks13 said:

If something was licensed in the wave, it would have "conf" or "confidential" in the name.

Thanks for pointing that out, someone else suggested there was intel on the two cars being licensed, i was speculating of off that

Personally i prefer non licensed, a licensed gt car would probably have cut some corners while an original design has less cost overhead, so more features

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

a licensed gt car would probably have cut some corners while an original design has less cost overhead, so more features

Good point, licences sets have potential for future speculations and are only display models as members pointed out in their mods and improvements topics, but non-licensed sets have greater level of playability and functionality :thumbup:

But now we have to wail for leaked images or new info...if only some higher force could help us with leaked images ?

Edited by I_Igor

2 hours ago, vectormatic said:

an original design has less cost overhead, so more features

You say that, but 42077 happened

1 hour ago, dimaks13 said:

42088 exists. Supposedly 10€ set.

What could it be? I suppose we already have 2 pullbacks...?

6 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

What could it be? I suppose we already have 2 pullbacks...?

I think it's like in 2016. There are two small sets before the pullbacks: 42044, and 42045. In 2019 these small sets will be 42088 and 42089.

16 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think it's like in 2016. There are two small sets before the pullbacks: 42044, and 42045. In 2019 these small sets will be 42088 and 42089.

That makes sense, but I do not know what I'll be; dozer? Cherry picker? ...

4 hours ago, Bartybum said:

You say that, but 42077 happened

With say, the porsche license, it would have cost 120 or 130 for tge same part count and features

I wonder what the licensing costs. 

It's not going to be known, because it will be contractually confidential.  :classic:

But.

I doubt TLG pay anything at all for Volvo, Mercedes, Porsche, Bugatti licensing. 

This isn't Star Wars or Iron Man.  Movie franchise licensing is very different to trucks.

I spent an earlier part of my life in brand marketing.

Getting TLG to make a Lego set featuring the product is the kind of thing a brand like Volvo or Mercedes would kill for.

There is probably no money transferred, but a contractual agreement about contributions in kind.

TLG will commit something like:

• "we are the world's #1 toy brand, with undisputed quality, and unprecedented access to current and future consumers with an interest in your product"
  • we will commit our designers' time to a (reasonably) faithful replication of your product
  • we will commit to feature your brand prominently in promotion and box art
  • we will take care of all your intellectual property
  • we will make €x worth of videos and other marketing material, and do one or more international launch events
  • we will achieve €x worth of PR coverage

The brand will commit similarly to:

• access to intellectual property
  • a defined review and sign-off process
  • €x worth of marketing and PR coverage

This will increase the cost TLG overhead, vs. an original model.

But you're not paying extra sticker price specifically for the license fee.

The extra cost is the extra time spent by TLG.

I could be wrong.

We'll never know.

But that's my guess. :wink:

That could be (win - win situation for both TLG and Manufacturers) and Unimog, Arocs and Volvo models are great IMHO :thumbup:

26 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

But you're not paying extra sticker price specifically for the license fee.

The extra cost is the extra time spent by TLG.

I'm guessing that a lot of the cost of the 42056 GT3 RS for example, is due to the design of the extra packaging as well as the extra time needed to assemble the product and get it ready for shipping out of the factory.

That's pretty much what I've been suspecting at least for the Volvo and similar. I doubt a Volvo-branded excavator is going to get TLG significantly more box sales than an unbranded excavator at the same price point, but it's an interesting marketing proposition for Volvo.

I'm unsure if it works out the same for the supercars though.

For supercars?

Via TLG collaboration, Bugatti get extra coverage from people like Tim Schmee (Schmee150). 

We used to work with Audi and Mercedes.  Getting coverage from people like Schmee was a key goal of the video work we did (along with entertaining people, a lot). 

I doubt TLG pay a license fee.  :classic:

Edited by andythenorth

9 minutes ago, Magical Duck said:

And the Mack :wink:

I meant under Volvo whole group :thumbup:

17 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

I meant under Volvo whole group :thumbup:

Well, you could have written Mercedes and Volvo then. ;)