doug72

3D printed 7996 Double crossover track

Has anyone had experience on using 3D printed versions of the Lego 7996 Double Crossover ?

How reliable are they ?
I need one for a GBC train module I am building.

Found two firms selling them one in the US the other in Poland.
3D printed from £50 to £60.

Genuine 7996 selling on Amazone for up to £480.

I've no idea about 3D printed ones, but the real ones are on BrickLink for between £80-100, if you can spend a bit more. Amazon is about the worst place for second hand and discontinued Lego. :) 

Edited by Mr Hobbles

Thanks, the 3D printed double x-over has four independant switches unlike the Lego one, which has two ganged switches requiring a MOD to use with the GBC module.

I don't know about the R40 3D printed double crossovers but I have an R104 Double crossover from BrickTracks/Shapeways:

https://www.shapeways.com/product/UK4BHY826/r104-double-crossover-base-for-lego-reg-trains?optionId=63279204

img_20170201_190958.jpg

Had it for a few years now and it works fine in our club layouts.  I will say the clutch power to the other tracks is weaker than when I first got it, but since we have it ballasted, the track is not moving anywhere.  I guess the takeaway is make sure clutch power is not a critical component of your build, or don't disassemble that part of the build.

Edited by pirzyk

I made my own with help from a guy who flipped  the throw switch to the other side for me. it cost what I paid for the "flipped throw"on Bricklink and 2 sets of Lego switches plus glue. I saved a lot of money and it works very well. Cost was between $40- 50 and it's the same size as Lego and comes apart just like Lego one. This 'doc' explains and shows a little of what I did.

https://bricksafe.com/files/1963maniac/A Double Crossover Switch.docx

Edited by 1963maniac

As a person who has the double crossover from the Polish retailer you mention, it isn't bad. Since it is 3D printed and not injection moulded like LEGO, it is rougher when trains go over it. The sound is easy to discern. The fit is good with LEGO track, but not the best. I haven't tried to install it on other LEGO plates/bases yet, so I can't say about that. If you want a good substitute without the scalper's prices, it works.

I lucked out and got a LEGO crossover for 20 bucks on eBay, it was sold as missing parts which was 2 yellow switches.  Bought that as fast as I could.   I recently bought a 3D printer as well and never thought about trying my own track parts.  Might give it a shot 

Check out 4DBrix - $60

Good quality and run very well. I have several. They are modular, not one piece which is great, making the reusable in other configurations.

Ed

I,ve ordered a basic double crossover from Trixbrix.eu in Poland,  £36 cost & shipping. Will be suitable for the GBC train module.

Edited by Doug72