Sign in to follow this  
Freezingvettes99

Union Pacific SD60

For all of you american railroad enthusiasts out there the EMD SD60 has to be one of the most iconic locomotives besides maybe the SD40-2. Brick Train Depot's next offering will be this very model in a variety of railroads. Here it is in Union Pacific Livery, we are working on finalizing the instructions and should have them on the site very soon. The radiator section and cab structure on this locomotive are very unique and should be an interesting and challenging build for anyone who purchases our instructions. Any feedback or comments are always welcome. 

42921162865_9a11b23235_c.jpg2018-08-03_10-18-16 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

42016152500_a90cc70af9_c.jpg2018-08-03_10-18-28 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

29954994058_cf815a6b01_c.jpg2018-08-03_10-18-39 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

42016161070_5a6a04b8f5_c.jpg2018-08-03_10-18-53 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

43776569452_5b4f661729_c.jpg2018-08-03_10-19-12 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

43824769011_7d351dc566_c.jpg2018-08-03_10-19-21 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

Edited by Freezingvettes99

This looks awesome!! Seems to be... 6-wide? Based on just looking at the trucks, it looks to be hand and "Brum" powered. Are there any considerations for PF, PU, 9v, or any other power system?

Looks great! Will definitely have to pick up those instructions when they’re available. 

I’ve got something different than Armour Yellow in mind, however.

5dPeT09.jpg

Looks nice.  Could those open magnet couplers be a product liability risk? 

Freezingvettes99,

Another fantastic rendition to your growing fleet of designs. Though I am curious as to what designs you chose this time. Obviously Union Pacific Railroad is on the table. You have done other Burlington Northern Railroad units before so that would be a given. Hum ... Norfolk Southern Railway? Or Maybe CSX Transportation in the old stealth scheme. Or, wait, I am sensing some vibes here: CONRAIL? (These are all original owners and none of the second or plus owners.)

Fastlane250,

The first thing that came to mind when I saw your picture was this: SOOOO!!!!!!....

3D LEGO

I dunno, what's the point of a non powered engine? Make room for a battery, receiver and motor and then I'd be interested.

10 hours ago, sed6 said:

I dunno, what's the point of a non powered engine? Make room for a battery, receiver and motor and then I'd be interested.

You can always put the motor in a freight car, or two for that matter behind the locos. Or just have a Geep in the consist! It doesn't take much to keep a Lego train rolling.

22973338493_608173a3af_c.jpgBNSF GP60M by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

3 hours ago, Freezingvettes99 said:

Did someone mention Soo Line? You can use our instructions and adapt them to any railroad of your choosing, see how easy it is!

29010516697_e7b16b3fe2_c.jpgSoo Line SD60 Render by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

Wow, looks amazing! You even added the winterization hatch. I figured the instructions would be easy to modify, I was planning on building the Soo version in LDD and exporting that as a BL wanted file with LDD Explorer. 

1 hour ago, fastlane250 said:

Wow, looks amazing! You even added the winterization hatch. I figured the instructions would be easy to modify, I was planning on building the Soo version in LDD and exporting that as a BL wanted file with LDD Explorer. 

This design won't work in LDD because of how the elements line up in the cab and the radiator section. Believe me, I tried and gave up and just moved on to MLCad. We can design decals for you and a parts list to upload to bricklink as well so you don't have to do any work except make a few mouse clicks.

Excellent job with modeling this big ol' mainline freight locomotive.  I'm actually planning on trying to make one of the EMD 4-axle locomotives (Specifically a GP-60 variant) in the near future & was actually thinking about using some of the exact same build techniques you used on your model.  Of course part of the reason I'm wanting to do the 4-axle ones versus the 6-axle is because I can use one of my spare 24-stud long train bases & a standard PF/PU motor for the front and/or rear bogies. ;)

Also nice to see you did some versions with the Comfort Cab as well as the standard cab... Since the one I'm planning on making soon is going to be in Federal Republic of America Army Logistics Command colors (Blue with white accents), I'll probably be doing the Canadian cab version, since it's going to be in my setting that's 100 years in the future.  I'll probably also be doing one of the versions with the wide rear radiator as well, for a bit of a unique look.