I can't seem to get Stud.io running on UbuntuĀ 18.04 (also tried 16.04). I can start Stud.io, but the images of the bricks don't show on the palette. Importing a project (.lxf) also doesn't work. It displays an explorer for a fraction of a second and then nothing...

Anybody have this up and running with either Wine of PlayOnLinux? Maybe some specific settings and tweaks?

Meanwhile LDD runs smooth btw...

Thanks!!

13 hours ago, bramant said:

I can start Stud.io, but the images of the bricks don't show on the palette.

I don't know if it applies to Linux, but I used to have the same problem with the Windows version, it seems to be related to whether your graphics has OpenGL support, I only managed to get it working when I got a new graphics card.

23 hours ago, bramant said:

I can't seem to get Stud.io running on UbuntuĀ 18.04 (also tried 16.04). I can start Stud.io, but the images of the bricks don't show on the palette. Importing a project (.lxf) also doesn't work. It displays an explorer for a fraction of a second and then nothing...

Switching to older version of Wine (something before 3.0) seems to have fixed the problem for me.

See this bug report:Ā https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44019

It seems adding the option -force-d3d9 should help.

EDIT: Confirmed on Wine 3.0.2.Ā  No need to keepĀ an old Wine version now.Ā  AndĀ it seems a simila bug was fixed in Wine 3.3.

Ā 

By the way, anyone knows if the GPUĀ rendering works with Wine?Ā  (I canā€™t test, I donā€™t own a recentĀ Nvidia :grin:)

Edited by SylvainLS

On 8/9/2018 at 12:38 AM, SylvainLS said:

Where do you actually place this option? My command for application link available within main menubar is the following:

env WINEPREFIX="/home/*username_here*/.wine" wine C:\\windows\\command\\start.exe /Unix /home/*username_here*/.wine/dosdevices/c:/users/Public/Start\ Menu/Programs/Stud.io.lnk

Just place it at the end.

Beware.Ā  Iā€™m not sure how the other environments work but for KDE, you need to edit the original entry (in the Wine menus), not the one in your favorites, which is just a copy and immediately reverts to the orginal (been there, done that, teared my hair a bitĀ :grin:).Ā  After editing the original, remove from favorites and then re-favorite.

On 8/8/2018 at 11:38 PM, SylvainLS said:

See this bug report:Ā https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=44019

EDIT: Confirmed on Wine 3.0.2.Ā  No need to keepĀ an old Wine version now.Ā  AndĀ it seems a simila bug was fixed in Wine 3.3.

Ā 

By the way, anyone knows if the GPUĀ rendering works with Wine?Ā  (I canā€™t test, I donā€™t own a recentĀ Nvidia :grin:)

That worked like a charm, thanks a bunch!!

Fixed my issue and suddenly not only the bricks appeared, but the lag has gone also. Great!

In my case existing item in menu has been misbehaving (not really picking up any changes). So I had recreated it manually from scratch and Stud.io is now running fine now.

Sorry for bumping an old topic, but I couldn't find anything more recent and relevant.

I'm trying to get Studio 2.0 running over PlayOnLinux on Linux Mint 19.1.

As well as the missing brick previews, I was also finding that the instruction Page Design area had empty pages.

I have added the "-force-d3d9" to the command arguments, which helped somewhat. The brick previews are now there, and I have the bricks in my instructions pages, but the step numbers and parts to be added each step are invisible, and the BOM at the front shows only the element in the top left corner of each page.

Is anyone else experiencing this, or have an idea how to fix it? I'm really hoping I don't have to go back to LPub3D for instructions generation!

Owen.

You need a more recent version of Wine.Ā  After 3.16, -force-d3d9 isnā€™t even neededĀ anymore.

Note though that some versions have problems with the installer or with the renderer (EyeSight).Ā  But that looks likeĀ usual Windows hit and miss: works on a machine but not on another with the same versions.Ā  On one machine, I had to install with an older version of Wine before switching to the newer version to get rid of -force-d3d9 and have EyeSight work.

HereĀ are instructions to add Wineā€™s own repository to get a newer version for Ubuntu/Mint.Ā  Youā€™ll need wine-devel.

How much more recent? I've tried it using version 3.20 that I downloaded through the POL configuration menu, and indeed the -force-d3d9 wasn't necessary to see the brick previews, but I still see incomplete instructions.

Incidentally, rendering seems to work fine, so long as I use CPU rather than GPU to do the computation.

I canā€™t say exactly.Ā  I know Wine 4.0 introduced new stuff (Direct3D 12, Vulkanā€¦) and improvedĀ D3D 10 & 11, amongĀ other things.Ā  And all is working okay here.

But Windows applications are weird.Ā  For instance, the first versions of Studio workedĀ here without the need for -force-d3d9, then it started needing it, without any update to Wine, orĀ to graphics libraries I could trace.Ā  I thought it was Studioā€™s fault so I went back to itsĀ previous versionĀ (I useĀ git on my .wine directory to avoid clutter and keep stable points), but it didnā€™t work anymore withoutĀ -force-d3d9.Ā Ā I also have two computers with the same versions of Wine and the OS: each one has problems / behaviours the other doesnā€™t have, even when I use the same .wine directoryĀ *huh*Ā 

Thatā€™s the sort of things that made me quit using Windows more than twenty years agoĀ :wink:

Ā 

As for GPU rendering, I didnā€™t lookĀ into it further because I donā€™t have a recent NVidia card but it should be possible to use one through Wine, you ā€œjustā€ need to use the proprietary NVidia drivers (package nvidia-modprobe).

Ok, I'll keep playing around. But just to confirm, you're using 4.0+ and seeing complete instruction pages?

Nope, same deal on Wine 4.4 - interestingly, though, I can get the per-step parts lists to appear if I turn the step numbering off!

Edited by Captainowie

8 hours ago, Captainowie said:

But just to confirm, you're using 4.0+ and seeing complete instruction pages?

Yes.

Ā 

8 hours ago, Captainowie said:

Nope, same deal on Wine 4.4 -Ā interestingly, though, I can get the per-step parts lists to appear if I turn the step numbering off!

ā€œInterestingā€ isnā€™t the word I would have used.Ā  ā€œA fine messā€ is what it is.

17 hours ago, SylvainLS said:

ā€œInterestingā€ isnā€™t the word I would have used.Ā  ā€œA fine messā€ is what it is.

Aye, it is that.

Oh well, thanks for your help.

I'm running stud.io on Ubuntu 20.04 and it works out of the box so far.

I have just issues with it freezing after a while of not using it.

And my middle mouse wheel for zoom is not working, which is annoying.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:08 PM, 5N00P1 said:

I'm running stud.io on Ubuntu 20.04 and it works out of the box so far.

I just checked the website, and the only options for download are Mac and Windows 32/64 bit. What exactly do you mean when you say it works "out of the box"? Are you using the Windows version over some kind of emulation (like Wine)? or something else?

@CaptainowieĀ you are right it only offers win & mac. I've downloaded the win version & started it with wine. So far it's running, but my keys are not working and the mouse wheel, which is a bummer.

I've also realized I have issues with creating instructions. So it's not as good as I thought at the start.

1 hour ago, 5N00P1 said:

but my keys are not working and the mouse wheel, which is a bummer.

Itā€™s a known problem of focus.Ā  You need to either use a virtual desktop or prevent yourĀ window managerĀ to manage Wineā€™s windows (both options are in winecfg).

cool, thank you @SylvainLSĀ when it's a known issue, is there anywhere to read about it? And maybe others?

Which option is the recommended one? What are the pros & cons of each?

Edited by 5N00P1

It was reported on the Studio forum.Ā  You need to search or read everything because itā€™s not really well organized.Ā Ā I think itā€™s also in the Wine reportĀ for Studio (there are several reports / several Studio versions).

As for the pros and cons:

• Virtual desktop: the Wine window(s) are contained in a bigger window, looking like Windows windows (style/decors).Ā  Even whenĀ both the Wine desktop and StudioĀ are maximised, you still have two window titles, one Windows-like for Studio and one from your Linux WM, so you lose a bit of vertical space.Ā  Also, the Wine desktop has a fixed size: you must change its size in winecfg otherwise its contentĀ doesnā€™t follow.
  • Windows not managed by the WM: the application appears in a window of its own (like with the default option) but itā€™s not managed by the WM, so it wonā€™t iconify or appear in aĀ taskbar as ā€œnormalā€ window.Ā Ā If you use desktops to arrange your windows, the Wine windows will appear in every one.Ā  That can be annoying.

Ā 

Thank you, yeah I use multiple desktops so I don't want this!

Used the virtual desktop and it works flawless and finally as expected.

Still have issues with the instruction, any idea?