Hinckley

Power Functions Train Update

New update from TLC:

Dear all,

As promised in the second communication from the 6th of December last year, we will give you the latest information and decisions regarding the development of the new train system based on LEGO Power Functions.

We are still working on the final details and doing a lot of testing of the new Power Functions elements; however, we are again able to give you some more details.

First - we will not change the gauge of the rails so there is no need to be afraid that the L gauge will disappear.

On the rechargeable battery box we have been working to get the best compromise between size and power. It has been decided that we will use a powerful Lithium Polymer battery and the size of the box will be 4 studs wide, 8 studs long and 4 studs high - this should fit in most of the trains.

The already existing standard LEGO transformer will be used to recharge and as the power supply.

The existing Power Functions RC Receiver already has integrated speed control. To enable the use of this we will make a newly designed RC handset with speed control capability.

All the above new Train related Power Functions items as well as the current battery train motor (with cross axles and wheels) will be available separately through LEGO Shop@Home before the Summer of 2009.

As you know we arranged a train workshop in November 2007 where ten AFOLs from around the world: Denmark, USA, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany, and United Kingdom participated, built with the prototype elements and also looked into ideas and possibilities for new train designs using the Power Function elements. Based on the outcome of this workshop and all the other fantastic input we got from the AFOL community over the last 6 months, our designers worked on the first train set using the new Power Functions system. This set will be truly aimed at the AFOL community to acknowledge the importance of the adult LEGO hobbyists in the LEGO train world.

This communication will be the last one regarding the transition from the 9V train system into the new Power Functions train system. Due to all the very valuable AFOL feedback we are far down the road with the development of the new elements and also the new train set. We appreciate all your efforts through this transition which we expect to be fully executed in 2009.

Stay tuned for the new LEGO train system coming in 2009.

Tormod Askildsen, Head of LEGO Community Development

Every now and then I see a Save the 9V Train campaign advocates. As I have 9V trains I understand their wish to bring back the trains. Doesn't look good though with this communique. I guess with different regions of the world using different mains power and with batteries being cheaper for the manufacturer, batteries are here to stay. Pity TLC cant go green and use solar power though. If anything it would generate huge publicity although the trains wouldn't go too fast where I live :)

This sound's good, as this new battery box may make it easier to modify older trains. *sweet* Still feel sad about losing 9 Volt though. :'-(

The battery box seems to be of similar size to the old battery boxes from '89 which held 9V-batteries, and which saw extensive use in different Town vehicles and every single monorail. Plus it sounds like the battery box is seperate this time around (which I hope, because that would benefit the entire PF-system), which should facilitate more flexibility in regards to locomotive designs and/or tenders, minus the necessity to have a receiver, but at least it's compact and flexible enough itself. The recharger will also be interesting, because I have no idea to which "current transformer used" LEGO is referring to.

Big plus: New hobby train set. Yay! X-D And this time we're likely to have LEDs instead of light-bulbs!

The recharger will also be interesting, because I have no idea to which "current transformer used" LEGO is referring to.

The only current transformer I can think of is speed regulator 4548, but I have no idea how this should work. I'll believe that 4548 is used as a recharger when I see it with my own eyes.

The new battery box is 8 studs long and 4 studs broad and high. I have no clue how I should integrate that thing in diesel engine 4563 and some other small engines I have. It can be integrated in the Super Chief 10020 when you put out those bricks which depict the motor. So a nice detail will have to be removed. :-( I'll mainly stick to 9V forever. But it's good the gauge remains the same so that I can buy some new waggons and locomotives.

The thing that bothers me most is that sooner or later it will be terribly difficult (=expensive) to get a new 9V motor. >:-( :-( Does someone have an idea how to keep a 9V motor in good condition? How can I open it without damaging it? How can I clean its interior parts?

I've been as big a critic of this whole 9V transition as anyone, but I have to say, I'm impressed with how TLC is handling this. They're making the best of a bad situation. They didn't have to communicate anything to the consumers. They could have just made the change, dumped the sets on us, and said "here you go, chumps" (like they did with the bley color change).

Perhaps they learned a lesson that early and frequent communication will go a long ways. Sure, people are still going to be upset, but this way, we understand what they're doing, why they're doing it, and we're given fair warning. I still hate the decision, but I applaud TLC's communication efforts.

Perhaps they learned a lesson that early and frequent communication will go a long ways. Sure, people are still going to be upset, but this way, we understand what they're doing, why they're doing it, and we're given fair warning. I still hate the decision, but I applaud TLC's communication efforts.

I think it really has to do with the fact that TLC is finally learning to listen to all their customers and really wants to try to do what is best for the company as a whole. Sure, many of us may disagree, but you have to look at things from a global aspect as well as local.

Of course, we can really be glad that TLC is talking to us at all. Back years ago, during the "dark ages", TLC kept trying to cash in on all sorts of quick money making possibilities (sports liscenses, Galidor, etc) instead of actually listening to their customers and working with the worldwide community. I think they've learned from their mistakes now in that area, and I too am happy that TLC wants to explain to us what they are doing. ;-)

I was a little afraid by this modification, but it seems that TLC has made a not so bad job...

I will waiting for seeing the final result to have a final jugement...

2009 seems so far...

I need to point something out here, 9v trains arn't dying TOTALY, in an angry E-mail I sent to LEGO regarding the death of 9volt, they told me that the 9v system will still exist in a Factory setting, in other words, they arn't going to produce new SETS, but the components will probably still be available through LEGO Factory. This new system, like the other battery trains, will give us LEGO-designed trains that run on batteries, but there's really no indication that 9v components are just going to be dropped, especially with the popularity of LEGO Factory. ;-)

I need to point something out here, 9v trains arn't dying TOTALY, in an angry E-mail I sent to LEGO regarding the death of 9volt, they told me that the 9v system will still exist in a Factory setting, in other words, they arn't going to produce new SETS, but the components will probably still be available through LEGO Factory. This new system, like the other battery trains, will give us LEGO-designed trains that run on batteries, but there's really no indication that 9v components are just going to be dropped, especially with the popularity of LEGO Factory. ;-)

Since the gauge remains the same things like wheels and buffers won't be changed, I assume. However, Jan Beyer of TLC announced that the production of 9V stuff like the motor 10153 and railway tracks has ended. The motor and straight rails are already sold out in Europe. It's just a matter of time till the other things like curved rails aren't available any more. Then you can buy motors and rails only on bricklink or eBay. A 9V motor sooner or later stops working. My oldest one is 16 years old and still working, but I doubt it'll continue workingfor another 16 years. When I need a new one, it'll definitely be very expensive since they're out of production.

If the battery box and IR sensor are separate and the power to motor can be carried via a wire I'd be curious to know if you could hide the battery box in some of the rolling stock and then connect the power to the motor via wire.

Since the gauge remains the same things like wheels and buffers won't be changed, I assume. However, Jan Beyer of TLC announced that the production of 9V stuff like the motor 10153 and railway tracks has ended. The motor and straight rails are already sold out in Europe. It's just a matter of time till the other things like curved rails aren't available any more. Then you can buy motors and rails only on bricklink or eBay. A 9V motor sooner or later stops working. My oldest one is 16 years old and still working, but I doubt it'll continue workingfor another 16 years. When I need a new one, it'll definitely be very expensive since they're out of production.

ALREADY out of production!?! Whoa, yeah I E-mailed them a WHILE back, that's really too bad, but they should still have a few thousand left in stock so I can get some more! In the U.S. all the components are still available, especially through pick-A-brick. This is REALLY a bummer, LEGO had the BEST Train system on EARTH, so what do they do, get rid of it... >:-(

I'm a firm believer that model trains (LEGO, Märklin and others) should draw power from the rails, so I'm not thrilled with this direction.

unless...

LEGO makes it possible to purchase 9V tracks and makes this little brick available as well:

2878c01.png

Modified with a 9V+PF contact connected to the wheels.

With such a brick (sold for much less than a 9V engine), we could use Power Function powered from a 9V power supply!

Imagine trains with lights you could turn on/off, lights changing to the direction of the train and all the other advantages of 9V, but without the disadvantage of batteries!

This can all be reality with this little modified train wheel. You get the best of both worlds for an insignificant premium.

And we will never, ever see it.

I've been as big a critic of this whole 9V transition as anyone, but I have to say, I'm impressed with how TLC is handling this. They're making the best of a bad situation. They didn't have to communicate anything to the consumers. They could have just made the change, dumped the sets on us, and said "here you go, chumps" (like they did with the bley color change).

of course it doesn't cost much money or time to send an email to the fans and then make the change anyway, as for the bley colour it still doesn't look right with exo-force robots and 'Racers' cars (making the robots and cars look as if they're made of light/dark grey clay rather than light/dark grey glossy plastic)

I'm a firm believer that model trains (LEGO, Märklin and others) should draw power from the rails, so I'm not thrilled with this direction.

unless...

LEGO makes it possible to purchase 9V tracks and makes this little brick available as well:

2878c01.png

Modified with a 9V+PF contact connected to the wheels.

With such a brick (sold for much less than a 9V engine), we could use Power Function powered from a 9V power supply!

Imagine trains with lights you could turn on/off, lights changing to the direction of the train and all the other advantages of 9V, but without the disadvantage of batteries!

This can all be reality with this little modified train wheel. You get the best of both worlds for an insignificant premium.

And we will never, ever see it.

That is a BRILLIANT idea!!! But since it is so cool, it probably won't happen, it seems to work out that way... :-/

As Lasse D I also find that electricity for the trains should come from the rails. Apart from keeping the production costs of rails low I don't understand why LEGO had to move away from 9V rails. My brother's Roco trains get their power from the rails and they can be steered independently from each other. The only thing you have to do is adding a lil' electronic chip to the engine's motor. It would've been great if LEGO had released a 9V motor 10153 with a little opening for such a chip. *wub*

I must admit that my brother needs some other electronic stuff to keep his engines going. He had to buy a different speed regulator but the power still comes from the metallic rails.

Well this is good news! The lack of a rechargeable battery is the reason I didn't buy the current RC trains. I really can't wait for the new train box! I hope they would reveal which model it contains. The news about the battery box and the new track shapes are a very good reason to eagerly await this new system.

2009 Is indeed a very long way of

I am also anxious to see the new system and especially the new battery box. Is it going to be like a big brick or are there going to be all kinds of curves, roundings or sticking out bulbs on it? I am glad it is a separate part, not something that is included in a train base like the current system with which you can only build long trains...

I am a big fan of lights so I hope some system emerges to put lights into carriages as well... We'll see.

Sorry, something went wrong causing my post to multiply....

Edited by simonwillems

I'm excited but a little skeptical about this development. The rechargeable battery is a good idea, and it looks like it is about the size of the old 9V box. I'm really hoping they use 9 volts with the standard 9V connectors because not only will that allow for integration into older trains, but use of the battery box in all the old 9V L&S models. The bigger concern is the receiver for RC. I hope it is integrated into the motor unit, so that old trains won't need too much modification. And while I grew up on 9V and Lionel, I welcome the shift from power through the rails. Two-rail has the problems of crossing rails and such that three trail or battery power don't have. Also, Lego never included a means of insulating connections so you could make track layouts that normally would short circuit. I am looking forward to new layout designs and running multiple trains independently on the same track system.

I don´t care much about the change from 9V to power functions. :-D

I just hope it won´t be only two big sets like with the RC trains. >:-(

I would *wub* it if they would do something like MOT(=My Own Train),so that we could buy the waggons and the locomotives in the colour we like. ;-)

Thank you Hinckley for this update. I am definitly interested to see what TLC comes up with after reading this letter. My reaction at first was "yuck" when I heard TLC was making the new system battery. But reading this letter, I am very curious what the battery system will actually look like. Especially reading that TLC is going to use the same transformer that was used for the electric system. VERY INTERESTING!!

Model On!!