Hi all,

Here is my next project.

First i would like to say that this is shot as a really early design stage. This is the first rush on that project.

I do command from TLG the new orange selector for gearboxes. I do not received them actually. My first impression when seeing them for first time was that they were designed and intended to fit into a bike gearbox. That it was their reason of existing. And, as you always have better following your very first inspiration I do began the work on this project.

Pictures!

First, the main frame. As it do exist multiple sorts of frame I choose one who is the less conventional in a sense for a Lego model:

8w7ZFo.jpg

This frame offer many advantages on a scale model, the main one is to free a maximum of space for the mechanics.

Other view:

NmBFMh.jpg

The challenges are quiet hard on this project. As for many small MOCs the smaller they are, the most compact mechanics has to be and hardest is the designer's job. I am not a designer and even not engineer so i'll try do do my best to reach my goals with the best result I can.

Here are my (hopefully) goals:

- Superbike inspired

- 4 speeds gearbox, with, if possible but I do not figure out on how, a neutral point correctly positioned between first and second speed.

- Shifter commands like the real machines

On design point of view, those bike are often fully careened . I do not think this will be the best choice for a technic model, as it would be great to have a full look at mecha inside.

Here are the very first rushes on design:

yh5fM4.jpg

PeDAzK.jpg

As you can see on the pictures below, there are still so much work to do....

For those who follow my workflow, you will understand my working method. I  will now rebuild a second model independently of this one. I think I must begin by the engine part included gearbox setting and stepper commands.

If you have any opinion idea or experience on this subject, feel free to post your stuffs and inspiration.

Good sunny day all !

Edited by steph77

Looks good, but I would try to somehow rebuild the frame, because those 11L beams on sides don't look good (for me)

21 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Looks good, but I would try to somehow rebuild the frame, because those 11L beams on sides don't look good (for me)

Sure :classic:.

This was the early fixation for engine and rear suspension.

This will all completely be rebuilt once i would have done the engine and gearbox module.

And you're right, it actually looks :sick:

56 minutes ago, Jurss said:

because those 11L beams on sides don't look good (for me)

I think he is talking about the lower beams that are connected to the swingarm. I like the single sided swingarm, and the frame is just like they use in MotoGP championship and most of the other superbikes. So I don't think it needs mayor shape changing. The one thing I can't wrap my mind about it is how in hell are you going to put the 4-speed gearbox with stepper inside? 

4 hours ago, steph77 said:

This was the early fixation for engine and rear suspension.

OK, that's reasonable :)

5 hours ago, pagicence said:

I think he is talking about the lower beams that are connected to the swingarm. I like the single sided swingarm, and the frame is just like they use in MotoGP championship and most of the other superbikes. So I don't think it needs mayor shape changing. The one thing I can't wrap my mind about it is how in hell are you going to put the 4-speed gearbox with stepper inside? 

take 02

Maybe this compact stepper will help?

Ps: credits to lego technic mastery for basic design, even if I improve it to reach high load use and rehabilitee standards.

qCwS3i.jpg

View near to the frame. the center verticals paddles are meant to fit in the center of the bike's frame. This lets enough place for a compact gearbox. Real problem is the linkage between elements. I only could check the setup once I get my parts from TLG.

Other pictures to fit the scale:

X8SIwc.jpg

and last one: detail of the build:

3j1y4j.jpg

the mechanism has already a stop-point so the gearbox will pass the gear from 1 to 4 and never makes 4 to 1.

Steph

Edited by steph77

take 03 - proof of spacing concept - not functional yet

VKtKMk.jpg

As some of you guys are asking themsemlf how in hell this all could get inside a bike....I do place the all things inside.

So this question now is closed :wink: - the one only insignificant thing remaining is that it doesn't work actually.

I still do not received the new orange elements and the pieces I ordered so it's difficult for me to go further on this project. So and instead of let it apart for a while I kept working on it.

I concentrate my efforts on the sequential stepper's integration, and this part works properly actually. it's correctly placed, linked and connected to the gearbox.

I now have the gearbox to solve.

Second problem to solve : the back single arm for rear wheel. It is difficult to integrate it properly and his stability is just méh.

I think i'll be back at regular double wishbone arm or mono-bloc arm - still to see.

I finaly began to rebuild the gearbox's support frame introducting technic 5X7 frame in the structure to stabilize it.

some pictures: This begin to look like a real hell machine no?

hnj3X6.jpg

EfFpIy.jpg

Steph.

Edited by steph77

Is there a way to mount the engine underneath the frame (like the original idea) instead of mounting it that high? Also the front brakes are a bit too small.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:14 PM, pagicence said:

Is there a way to mount the engine underneath the frame (like the original idea) instead of mounting it that high? Also the front brakes are a bit too small.

Sure, even if this gives me a stunning headache, need of some JB, and more.

Take 04.

Sometimes there are project that just do not want to go. Sometimes those project you got for years, haunt your nights until the day you decide time arrived.

I always built bikes, and bikes with gearbox too. just look at this : http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=429878 we were in 1997.

21 years. Time's off.

So back to the question @pagicence: the engine has been compacted a lot considering it now has a full drivetrain and gearbox linkages included. Design is also much cleaner than previously.

zt2iyp.jpg

This time the full transmission chain is done and work properly.

I just hope my new parts arrive soon so I actually really need them to valid the gearbox concept.

The whole setup of sequential stepper and linkage are also ok.

As I explain previously I always work on several models together. The previous one has been evaluate in order to fix the mount points of the bodywork and for testing a new rear suspension arm.

I still try to get back to mono-arm for the rear, but the pictures below will show you some scale markers to give you all a good idea of the direction of this project.

ZMZ6li.jpg

WDDmsm.jpg

Final view for today: no more engine in the upper part of the frame

DwfQdl.jpg

Steph.

Edited by steph77

Now that's proper. Very nice. I like the swing arm on the wrong side. It's not so ordinary, very original. Rock on.

This is looking better after the second drafts. I build the same way, one model to keep the mounting points and body work, and a second to perfect the internals. I hope the transmission works with the new parts.

Sometime projects take a turn without you really realize it.

During the work, as my main model was kept mounted and while I was working at MK17 on a second model this thing as born

Take 05

CAHWdp.jpg

This bike has a furious look. It has exactly the same dimensions as official TLG BMW 1200rs...and a sequential controlled 4 speeds gearbox.

I had to change the colour scheme for a funny reason. My son just didn't accepted I took parts out off his Lamborghini and so I just came a little short in this lime colour. 

But Ok, back to this model. No particular mark or model for inspiration, but with it's 45 degrees V4 engine, this coul be a Honda Transalp, or some sort of KTM also.

Other pictures:

AgouCI.jpg

You can see here the work on the back fork. This articulation area include both sequential selector, gearbox commands shaft, fork articulation and driving chain.

The bike has two exhausts, a confortable saddle and generous mudguards protections.

UlVMJM.jpg

Viewed from the driver's POV, this bike could be credibly comfortable. It is equipped with a large handlebar, and large travel suspension in the front and the rear

7RliIK.jpg

Laterally, the profile is correspondent to this category bikes. The bike is equipped with a retractable crutch

Vw3c8u.jpg

Underside view. It gives a good idea of the mechanical aspects. I am happy having be able to keep a width contained for this bike.

VkcCCh.jpg

And complete top view

9KOXk0.jpg

New orange selector. Still two days and I would not have one hair on my head anymore.

hgxNdP.jpg

detail of the exhausts realized out of Ninjago barels

gUStmo.jpg

And at last, detail of the stepper

95xhLT.jpg

and a last general view

Hm1CSK.jpg

So whats the "hic" out there.

This bike has suspensions, 4 speeds, 4 seeds commanded by foot stepper,4 seeds commanded by foot stepper and placed in the right order (MK 78452) So what's wrong?

I just got two speeds in drive mode and...two reverses!

Ok, I still have some work.:wink:

Steph.

Edited by steph77

I'm not an expert on bikes but this one looks great and I'm very impressed that you managed to fit the 4 speed transmission in it. Keep up the good work! 

Wow! Motorcycle with working transmission?? Great! Where's the driver's legs supposed to be put on?  Find it! Driver can even switch speeds with his sock!

Edited by Aleh

Very nice; great proportions! :thumbup:

After trying many times to add a working gearbox to my own superbike, I am still baffled by it. Not enough room and not enough brain power I guess. I'll have to try it with the orange selector gear sometime.

Well this took a turn. I was looking forward to a street bike, but this turned out great.

I was a little concerned the transmission was going to be too wide, or would not work well, so I'm happy with how this turned out. I love how the changeover is connected to the foot pedals. Again, great work.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:13 PM, pagicence said:

Is it possible for us to see a video?

Sure! see below.

12 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Well this took a turn. I was looking forward to a street bike, but this turned out great.

I was a little concerned the transmission was going to be too wide, or would not work well, so I'm happy with how this turned out. I love how the changeover is connected to the foot pedals. Again, great work.

I do not give up with the street bike. I just found this one was the most effective for a first bike with real sequential transmission.Thanks

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, Aleh said:

Btw U R going to create a building instructions?

I am unfortunately not able to produce them. I can eventually produce ldd file.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 8:15 AM, Aleh said:

Wow! Motorcycle with working transmission?? Great! Where's the driver's legs supposed to be put on?  Find it! Driver can even switch speeds with his sock!

Yes, even if I do even not imagine ridding my H2 in socks, crazy guy!

And thanks all for kind comments.

Take 06

Time has come to finish the exterior design of this bike. @pagicence, Look at this:

Edited by steph77

Now I see why you mentioned me. It works exceptionally well. I am amazed. I like the detailing with the mirrors, front fender, dials and the exhaust. With the stickered orange pieces reminds me of the KTM's from Dakar rally.

Edited by pagicence