28934042047_24935c71d4_z_d.jpg

42966289125_27f2860d3e_z_d.jpg

28934042687_0f128f8b43_z_d.jpg

42966290005_a4b5f5ea3b_z_d.jpg

28934043537_4b3dced5e9_z_d.jpg

42966290905_6716899d27_z_d.jpg

28934044317_e08c8b1e88_z_d.jpg

43152787184_e38f5875b8_z_d.jpg

I recently joined and this is my first build posted.  It was initially created as a backdrop for my character, then I started getting ideas.  Looking at some other builds I was inspired by some of the captioned stories put together by people like Pombe and De Gothia.  I decided to take it a step further and start a comic-style storyline for my build.  Is this an acceptable image format for challenges or contests?  Do I need to just use raw images with text captions if I want to include story?

P.S. comments and critique are most welcome.

I love the comic style and would be thrilled to see Arun and Grep's adventures continue in that format! One thing of mention is that I think the grassy section would look a bit more natural if you layered it similarly to how you layered the path. Overall awesome job and love the use of the Skiff Guard Torso and Legs.

10 hours ago, Mythical said:

I love the comic style and would be thrilled to see Arun and Grep's adventures continue in that format! One thing of mention is that I think the grassy section would look a bit more natural if you layered it similarly to how you layered the path. Overall awesome job and love the use of the Skiff Guard Torso and Legs.

Thanks for the tip on the grass. I went with that torso because it reminded me of a quilted armor. 

Nice introduction in a lovely format!
I think you should continue to present your builds and stories in this minifig-centered/comic book style way :classic: I very much like when the focus of the picture is on a specific element (usually a fig or a few figs) and the rest of the build is out of focus, it is a great way to empasize what the viewer should look at.
This comic book format should probably be ok also for many of the challenges, except if the rules explicitly state something like that the only editing allowed is to remove the background (which sometimes is the case).

Having most of the story in this format is great in my opinion, but including some describing text including the keywords of the context in the post can also be a good idea since text in the pictures will not be searchable.

It could be a good idea to include a final shot with the whole build in the frame and in focus, it can be hidden in "spoiler tags" (see below) if it's more of a behind the scenes shot. At least for challenges that is probably required.

[spoiler]
Hidden text and pictures...
[/spoiler]

gives:

Hidden text and pictures...

Great introduction, good format keep them coming.  :wink:

A great way to introduce your character ! I like this comic aspect.

And the story is quite good. Funny and not some heavy quest beginning.

It reminds me a fun french comic recently published when a poor goat keeper is forced to take arms against mages after the destruction of his sheeps except one he is speaking to. that's very close to this kind of story and fun.

overall, great job !

Keep up the good job and welcome to the Guilds !

Edited by Faladrin

Yeah, this is an awesome presentation with really solid comedic writing too. Having the goat's translations be ornate and verbose is inspired. Also liking your fig combos here. Great intro!

I am personally not a huge fan of the comic style, though I have nothing against it per se. If you like it, go for it! I do like the story, and the goat's contributions to the conversation are the best. I really like the way you have mixed the two bleys in the rockwork, and the various SNOT portions look good, too! I look forward to seeing the next chapter soon. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

The comic style story is fine, if you like that format :thumbup: As Gideon mentioned, you could easily include a couple overview type shots free of any text/editing to meet challenge requirements if needed.

Brilliant dialogue between Arun and Grep :roflmao: Can't wait to see more of their banter in the future!
Neat landscape with the path leading up through the rocks. The 1x4 tile, 1x4 plate, and 2x2 plate in green look a little blocky over the large bright green plates. If you have some other small green plates or tiles, grouping a few more in an organic pattern would look more natural I think. Or just leaving those few green plates/tiles off completely would work fine here :classic:

Nice job! Good intro! A fun story start and I am exited to see where this goes! As for the build, it has a good amount of business, and the rocks are nice as well. I wish the grassy areas had a little more slope and texturing to them, but a minor thing. Welcome to the guilds! I just joined as well. ;)

I really enjoyed the intro, as a big comic-book fan it is nice to see the use of that format for storytelling. I think the minifigs are where nicely put together.

Looking forward to the next chapter. :excited:

A very nice way of introducing your character and storyline, please keep these comics coming!

Also, I think Grep must be my new all-round favoured character in the guilds :laugh: :rofl: