- 1 PF lights
- 2 light bricks
- 1 Buwizz 2.0
- 2 battery boxes 8881
- 1 train battery box 88000
- 3 IR recievers
- 1 pole reverser

Manual functions:
- Openable hood (V6 line engine + propeller;))
- Openable doors
- Full cabin detalization for 2 persons
- Openable engine compartment (inside the cabin)
- Openable side compartment (access to train bb)
- Openable hatch under the arrow (access to Buwizz)
- Full crane cabin detalization
- Openable tower engine compartment (access to BBs)

MOC done in the scale of ~ 1:11.

Parts counting around 7k. Tbh I lost the count somewhere around 4k when it was body only.

Weight - 7 kg.
Dimensions: 0,86m long (0,98m with arrow) x 0,3m width x 0,32m height.

Note that: From the very beginning, it was not the purpose to make a full scale 1 to smth copy of a specific crane, but rather make a functional crane with the features of a real one.

If you did not follow the topic when it was only WIP - sad to say that I had to make hard front axle because it was getting really heavy. The 2nd and 3rd axles are made as pendulum suspension with 6.5 hard shock absorbers to support.

Of course with the weight all of the offroad utility was shaved down quite a lot.

Drastic contrast from the original 3axle cranes is the body length and outriggers design I guess. All other mechanisms are here.

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

1280x720.jpg

More photos at:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/gate/ural-4320-trial-truck/leibherr-ltm1060-3.1-mobile-crane

WIP videos:

To conclude this MOC:

This was a really hard one, cannot even count the times I staggered in thinking of what and how to do next. But I always had general idea which helped me finish the MOC.

As well as people who gave me some ideas in this topic specifically. So special thanks to @suffocation, @Erik Leppen, @BrickbyBrickTechnic! Also thanks to 42055 and 42082 for that they exist:wink:.

This was a huge experience to me and the first mobile crane I've built myself.

The general notes I took for myself were:

- always plan outriggers before or at the early stages of the chassis;

- suspension is not the best idea for a 7 kg crane;

- if your model is really huge and heavy - drive it as the stages of building go:classic:, with extra weight it starts acting completely different.

- think twice before naming your MOC:wink:

Edited by gate

Interesting project:thumbup:, but I think it would outcome very huge...?

18 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Interesting, are you sure those outriggers work with weight?

The deployed state is really stable, tried staggering the whole construction by placing a 5l bottle on top and it did fine. It does not lift the crane into the air, but does its function.

Although the headpeices of the outriggers might change.

17 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Interesting project:thumbup:, but I think it would outcome very huge...?

Thought so as well, but after looking on proportions now - I like how it goes:cry_happy:

Tractor tyres on a mobile crane? What is this, Spintires? :laugh: That poor Technic figure is in for a bumpy ride...

Seriously though, this looks mighty cool and highly complex. I like the use of the Volvo engine blocks. :thumbup:

10 hours ago, AFOLegofan66 said:

Really big project!! Interested to see how it all works out!

Thanks!

9 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Tractor tyres on a mobile crane? What is this, Spintires? :laugh: That poor Technic figure is in for a bumpy ride...

Seriously though, this looks mighty cool and highly complex. I like the use of the Volvo engine blocks. :thumbup:

Great game indeed. I try to work out every detail. 2 x 42055s were diassembled for the purpose:cry_happy:

As for the tractor tyres - wanted to make it massive. Plus the dissapointment from 42070 came in and poked me in the back:classic:

10 minutes ago, gate said:

As for the tractor tyres - wanted to make it massive. Plus the dissapointment from 42070 came in and poked me in the back:classic:

Yeah, it'll do that. :wink:

This is massive! Looking forward to seeing more.

As for the suspension, I'm afraid you'll have the same problem on the rear axles once you put the superstructure on. One solution is to add more springs; another - which could also be applied to the front axle - is to use a long-travel pendular suspension system. You still need shock absorbers but can easily get away with four 6.5 yellow ones per axle, since their only purpose would be to prevent the model from tilting sideways.

7 hours ago, suffocation said:

As for the suspension, I'm afraid you'll have the same problem on the rear axles once you put the superstructure on. One solution is to add more springs; another - which could also be applied to the front axle - is to use a long-travel pendular suspension system. You still need shock absorbers but can easily get away with four 6.5 yellow ones per axle, since their only purpose would be to prevent the model from tilting sideways.

Think I am going to leave front axle hard. I tested it a little bit on my standard obstacles and it show itself great. Since I have a cabin the crane structure will be using it as a support in the lower position.

Thanks for advice though! Will defenitely have to see about the rear axle.

Great build so long.

But : please Change the title of the Video : The name is  LIEBHERR  not Leibherr !

@M_longer

To be honest many cranes look the same. But indeed it has something from that picture.

19 minutes ago, Wolf_Zipp said:

But : please Change the title of the Video : The name is  LIEBHERR  not Leibherr !

Wow, you are absolutely right! Changed everything. Thanks for noticing:cry_happy:

With the massive ground clearance, this almost looks like a Foremost Commander carrier. That isn't a bad thing, it looks really nice. If I may suggest some things, I think your outriggers look a little bit wimpy, and kind of narrow. It looks as if you have enough room in the chassis to include some actual extending outriggers, which would look a lot better. Also, you should add a slew bearing using some of the hubless gears from 42055. What you have right now would not be adequate for any kind of superstructure.

Also, I dig the fact that you have actual transparent parts for the windshield. I don't think I've ever seen that on a Technic model.

I'm not so sure to be honest. It looks too big for its own good. I'm afraid that by choosing such a large scale, you set up a pretty tough challenge for yourself. There looks to be a lot of empty space, and it's mostly panels and beams. I would guess that things would be more manageable in a smaller-scale model - you'd need less parts and less room, and you'd get less of a weight problem.

I sometimes say: small MOCs, small challenges (but I'm sure @Appie will disagree :P); big MOCs, big challenges. The fact that you had to give up suspension on the front axle, is a hint of things to come. Especially the boom will be a serious head scratcher. On a mobile crane this size, the boom (with extending section) will be several kg at least, and a hundred yellow panels. 42082 will look like a kid's toy next to it. Any idea how you're going to raise that? A series of LAs probably won't do. (But I've been surprised before.) Pneumatics also only get you so far. So this is probably going to require a worm-based or string-based custom cylinder, or another string-based solution.

Also, that turntable looks puny. But by the looks of it, you own the 42055 BWE, which comes with those yellow 11x11 quarter ring gear rack things, which can be put to perfect use as a slewing ring.

I understand the above may sound a bit too critical, so please let me say I'm really impressed by the performance so far, in your video! It's quite an achievement to let a model this size run so well (and with very good speed), and even take a pretty steep hill with seemingly no trouble at all! That's quite a thing. And if driving performance is what you're after, then you're very well on your way. Also, the chassis seems more rigid than I'd expect from such a large model. I think you made good use of all the frame parts, and some diagonal beams to reinforce things.

That all said, I'm sure this will be a tremendous learning experience, and a very fun project for anyone who's into big cranes. Looking forward to how you'll be tackling the superstructure! :)

14 hours ago, M_longer said:

It looks more like LTL 1160 with missing axle:

True :wink:, but his model is 1060 3.1 which means 3 axle

Edited by I_Igor
Had to recharge battery...

Thank you, everyone! Constructive critics is what we are here for with our MOCs I guess:classic:

11 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

If I may suggest some things, I think your outriggers look a little bit wimpy, and kind of narrow. It looks as if you have enough room in the chassis to include some actual extending outriggers, which would look a lot better. Also, you should add a slew bearing using some of the hubless gears from 42055. What you have right now would not be adequate for any kind of superstructure.

Also, I dig the fact that you have actual transparent parts for the windshield. I don't think I've ever seen that on a Technic model.

Currently experimenting on putting extending outriggers as well as the big yellow turn ring.

Windshields are from Lego Friends;) The first time I saw it in my little sisters' models - knew I would use them somewhere.

10 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I'm not so sure to be honest. It looks too big for its own good. I'm afraid that by choosing such a large scale, you set up a pretty tough challenge for yourself. There looks to be a lot of empty space, and it's mostly panels and beams. I would guess that things would be more manageable in a smaller-scale model - you'd need less parts and less room, and you'd get less of a weight problem.

I sometimes say: small MOCs, small challenges (but I'm sure @Appie will disagree :P); big MOCs, big challenges. The fact that you had to give up suspension on the front axle, is a hint of things to come. Especially the boom will be a serious head scratcher. On a mobile crane this size, the boom (with extending section) will be several kg at least, and a hundred yellow panels. 42082 will look like a kid's toy next to it. Any idea how you're going to raise that? A series of LAs probably won't do. (But I've been surprised before.) Pneumatics also only get you so far. So this is probably going to require a worm-based or string-based custom cylinder, or another string-based solution.

Also, that turntable looks puny. But by the looks of it, you own the 42055 BWE, which comes with those yellow 11x11 quarter ring gear rack things, which can be put to perfect use as a slewing ring.

I understand the above may sound a bit too critical, so please let me say I'm really impressed by the performance so far, in your video! It's quite an achievement to let a model this size run so well (and with very good speed), and even take a pretty steep hill with seemingly no trouble at all! That's quite a thing. And if driving performance is what you're after, then you're very well on your way. Also, the chassis seems more rigid than I'd expect from such a large model. I think you made good use of all the frame parts, and some diagonal beams to reinforce things.

That all said, I'm sure this will be a tremendous learning experience, and a very fun project for anyone who's into big cranes. Looking forward to how you'll be tackling the superstructure! :)

I want the crane to be able to overcome at least average obstacles - this is the reason for chassis performance.

42055s yellow turn ring is a lifesaver here, true. And I will probably have to reinforce connection of the rear axles and the platform above because of the weight.

As for the boom I really like the idea of using string, seems to be very elegant solution. Will see how it goes.

It is already a huge experience for me, really enjoying the process:classic:.

Edited by gate

Not to derail this topic about a great looking start of a crane into something else, but:

14 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

I sometimes say: small MOCs, small challenges (but I'm sure @Appie will disagree :P); big MOCs, big challenges.

Actually, no argument here, totally agree. Big MOC's have alot more things that come into play than little ones (and you already mentioned quite a few).

I would start creating another model if I were in your shoes. The current prototype does have too many issues as it was written above.

17 hours ago, Yevhen said:

I would start creating another model if I were in your shoes. The current prototype does have too many issues as it was written above.

At this point is no longer possible, I would finish it anyway.

All of the "problems" are mentioned beacuse it's a WIP topic now and are pretty much solvable one way or another. I could have just skipped the detailing and you probably wouldn't even know about them.

MOCs are all about finding an idea and following it, is it not?

29 studs wide mobile crane. Wow. I am curious how it will perform.
I have made similar 3 axle mobile crane, 24 studs wide, and encountered most of the problems guys noted here, and had to make cca 10 rebuilds of every major section. So, looking forward to see this finished.

Anyway, when you finish it, just post it here, and change the title, so people know it is finished.

As we continue,

the prototype superstructure looks like this:

800x450.jpg

Don't rush saying that it is very unreliable. I want to try making the rotation without the BWE's yellow turn ring as it seems an easy solution, check later if I am wrong:excited:.

The 3 studs height wheels really help stabilize the construction, may be I will add more. Going to reinforce it as well.

The first stage of the boom looks like this:

800x450.jpg

Really like 5x7 frames, what can I say.

Stay tuned, more info to come.

1 hour ago, gate said:

Really like 5x7 frames, what can I say.

Stay tuned, more info to come.

We'll be tuned, no worries.

Now imagine how cool are black 5 X 7 frames for vehicles with black chassis (which is visible like tractors / trucks)