PaulC

Religious Discussions

I have a question, if a kindly Mod is willing to answer:

I recently posted on Brendan Powell-Smith's Brick Testament topic (in the Other Themes section) and we started to get into a bit of a religious discussion. On reflection I think we should keep this stuff out if the "Lego" part of the board, and only discuss the MOCs themselves there.

Is there any part of Eurobricks that we can continue our religious discussion in, or should this be kept outside of Eurobricks alltogether?

Thanks!

I have a question, if a kindly Mod is willing to answer:

I recently posted on Brendan Powell-Smith's Brick Testament topic (in the Other Themes section) and we started to get into a bit of a religious discussion. On reflection I think we should keep this stuff out if the "Lego" part of the board, and only discuss the MOCs themselves there.

Is there any part of Eurobricks that we can continue our religious discussion in, or should this be kept outside of Eurobricks alltogether?

Thanks!

IMO i think that we shouldnt really disscuss religion here, it's definately to personel for some whether they agree or dissagree. And beleive me, you do not want me to get started on religion

There is no place for religious discussion on EB. The same usually goes for politics. For one, the simple fact is that people have opinions, and in most cases they wont change. Thus you usually end up with people insulting other peoples opinions... and this never goes down well. But ultimately this is a Lego fan site, and religion and politics are off topic anyway.

Incidently, I just checked your post and IMHO you didn't go too far. Thanks. *sweet*

My personal view and therefore in no way EB's policy:

Pretty much every forum I go on has an "off topic" section. I see no harm in instigating conversation about anything here. Politics, religion, f***ball, sexuality, whatever.

That said, these are always controversial issues and whereas I'm all for polite, adult, rationale debate, not everyone is. People can get easily offended around these issues.

If someone starts a debate on religion, that shouldn't automatically be stopped just because it's a debate on religion. That's tantamount to censorship. Although it'll inherantly need close moderating.

Again, just the view from the Tau.

well i wouldn't be in favour of having this type of dicussions on eb

1) i'd rather limit the site to lego topics as much as possible

2) topics like these need some serious and direct management from staff members and i think they're already having their hands full

3) there are sites better suited for subjects like these

4) why don't we just agree to disagree about religion and politics for that matter and leave it as it is...

5) they're timebombs... they may go well for a few pages but they only need one pissed off member to spin out of control, creating some serious scars in the EB-community in the process

4) why don't we just agree to disagree about religion and politics for that matter and leave it as it is...

On a personal level, I never "agree to disagree". That's just an over-polite way of disagreeing. I may disagree. That doesn't mean I can't respectfully, maturly disagree and accept your perspecive, but "agreeing to disagree" is just rubbish, IMHO.

well i wouldn't be in favour of having this type of dicussions on eb

1) i'd rather limit the site to lego topics as much as possible

2) topics like these need some serious and direct management from staff members and i think they're already having their hands full

3) there are sites better suited for subjects like these

5) they're timebombs... they may go well for a few pages but they only need one pissed off member to spin out of control, creating some serious scars in the EB-community in the process

Point 2> I'm grateful for all the hard work the mods put in around here, and I wouldn't want to make any more work for you.

Point 5> You're right, I've seen this happen on other boards where people's strongly held beliefs have been discussed. I've even seen it happen in a discussion about 6-wide versus 8-wide Lego trains!

Incidently, I just checked your post and IMHO you didn't go too far. Thanks. *sweet*
I was a little concerned we'd said too much, so thanks for the reassurance!

Thanks all for your sound advice. On reflection I agree with the general consensus here and I'll certainly stay away from discussing Religion or Politics in Eurobricks.

I'd love to have a place where we could, as Tau pointed out, respectfully debate politics and religion in a polite, adult and rational way. I'm always up for such discussions. And it is after all, only by doing it in such a way that we possibly might even learn from each other. I'm far more inclined to listen to another who treats me with respect and explains his point of view in a rational way and is in turn open to counter-arguments. And I believe the same goes for everybody else who finds himself in a debate.

I've noticed the people on EB come from many different backgrounds and countries and thus have many different perspectives on life. After all, I can see that the admins don't want people to fight, but we can hardly learn from one another if we bury such topics alltogether, can we?

What if the admins "restrict" access to that particular forum only to those they know will not violate the rules? That might be one way of preventing a loudmouth "youtuber" kind of guy to come in and ruin things for everybody else.

Anyway, that's just my two cents and that being said I'm not gonna participate in a topic on such a matter unless it's oke for the staff. *y*

I'd love to have a place where we could, as Tau pointed out, respectfully debate politics and religion in a polite, adult and rational way.

Well, this has been discussed before, and the decision was no.

Well, this has been discussed before, and the decision was no.

Well I never expected it to actually come through anyway. Didn't even intend it like that, just wanted to make a small point, no more.

I'd love to have a place where we could, as Tau pointed out, respectfully debate politics and religion in a polite, adult and rational way.

Maybe Brendan could start such a forum on his site. There are plenty of free forums available, and it would be a great opportunity for him to discuss his works and their inspiration with interested visitors.

I also believe that religon and politics should be excluded from a forum like eurobricks. Here things concerning LEGO should be discussed. And if we had a forum on politics and religon, it would easily get out of control. There are some things about religion and politics that make me furious when they're uttered. I won't give any examples. If I did, I would probably open a discussion which could develop into an avalanche. Since there are some other Austrians here in this forum, I don't want to imagine what a discussion among us about our political parties might look like. Defending this party, criticising the other; an endless discussion.

In short, no debates on religion and politics on eurobricks, please.

Perhaps...

Classic-Castle.com is not your pulpit.

Do not preach your personal sentiments, be it religious or political. Keep your personal beliefs personal.

Do not preach that you've been offended, be it by religious or political sentiment. Keep your being personally offended personal.

If you have a problem with a member, contact a C-C Team member, either by email or PM. If you need to let out your frustrations, contact a C-C Team member, either by email or PM.

Maybe Brendan could start such a forum on his site. There are plenty of free forums available, and it would be a great opportunity for him to discuss his works and their inspiration with interested visitors.

But that would be inherently Christian...

I'm not sure why you're quoting Classic-Castle there, SlyOwl. *wacko*

My feeling is the same as the rest of the staff who have posted here. I don't see it as denying anyone's freedom of speech to keep political and religious discussions personal. We jsut encourage people to have the discussions elsewhere or in private to avoid heated debates and bad feelings. There are too many people here from too many backgrounds to truly have a civil discussion and I'm speaking from experience. And sne makes a great point, we already have our hands full enough to moderate such a topic or forum. My advice is to come here to escape the debatable topics like politics and religion. Just have fun talking about your favorite toy. If you want to discuss someone's belief system, reach out and start a friendship and have the coversation between yourselves.

I'm not sure why you're quoting Classic-Castle there, SlyOwl. *wacko*

It is their policy on religion and politics; I just thought it might be helpful :-$

I don't see it as denying anyone's freedom of speech to keep political and religious discussions personal. We jsut encourage people to have the discussions elsewhere or in private to avoid heated debates and bad feelings... My advice is to come here to escape the debatable topics like politics and religion.

But then where do you stop?

We ban discussions on religion and politics.

Then someone takes offence in a conversation about (say) music. So we ban discussions on music.

Then discussions on sports teams.

etc.

It shouldn't be the subject matter, but the content that is banned.

Then someone takes offence in a conversation about (say) music. So we ban discussions on music.

etc.

Er...no. That won't happen.

I think that because this is a Lego themed site, and that should be the most discussed part, I don't see any reason for Religon, especially in the Lego topics. Also, I feel that it is provocative subject, and if not handled by the staff can get messy. It oftain fuals arguments that should not happen. Politics is another topic which does the same thing. It takes a lot of work to moniter these topics carefully, and to make cirtain that the rest of the site is spam free. If the staff has the time and energy to personally Mod those, it would be okay though, but it's the staff's overall dicision.

etc.

Umm, those topics you listed are things that once and a while people argue about. Religon is something that is so personal and importent to people (well, a lot of people) that it is hard to not get in arguements. I don't see any good reason to have religon on a Lego board, but I am not saying to ban it, just we would need to figure out some way to control it. One idea is to have people tell a staff member about any provocative subject before they post, and get it aproved. Also, if someone disobays, it should be a warning.

Well I'll agree with the majority here, in saying that political/religious discussions aren't much needed. However I'd also say that any mention of religion or politics shouldn't be banned. I'm happy to admit I'm a Christian person, I go to a small church most Sundays, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I don't think there's anything wrong with admitting that on a public forum if you wish. Same goes for making a George Bush joke or something, nothing serious. Its the actual centered discussions and debates I don't want to see, not because they aren't important, but because they don't really belong here. PM are for that I think *sweet*

To the Batbrick Cave! >:-)

Umm, those topics you listed are things that once and a while people argue about. Religon is something that is so personal and importent to people (well, a lot of people) that it is hard to not get in arguements.

There are many people out there that feel stronger about subjects other than religion.

IMO there is no place for such discussions here. It can only end badly. Personally, I am an atheist, but I respect other people's views, opinions and beliefs, and it's unlikely I'd be able to alter anyone's views, and vice versa, I accept that. However from experience (NOT here I hasten to add) there are those who cannot accept that other people have their own views and that's when things go wrong...

This is a LEGO site, let's all discuss the one belief we share - belief in the brick.

Dr. S.

Edited by Doctor Sinister

I have to wonder about the appropriateness of someone named "sinner" posting in thread about relgious discussion :-D