41985902620_80833e7fbf_z.jpg

The De Fiori's are experienced sword-makers and the masters of that trade in Varlyrio.  At least once within inches of ruling the guild - about six inches of a cold steel from it - the De Fiori's still hold their place among the top three, and might just be glancing surreptitiously once again at the throne...  The current head of the family is Alesio De Fiori, grand-nephew of Dialto De Fiori.

Born aboard a ship on a trading voyage to Mitgardia, Bjarke De Fiori is the son of the nephew of Alesio, who had married a young Mitgardian lady of noble lineage - and, as he was neither too important to his own family, nor she too great an heiress in hers, nobody put up much of a fuss.  Young Bjarke has his family's knack for sword-making, but he also inherited the Varlyrian love for adventure, excitement, and conquest of the waves, and the boldness and daring characteristic of his Mitgardian ancestors.

43794638961_e44093528c_z.jpg

Just a little build to introduce my new sigfig!  Credit goes to Forlorn Empire for the glass window idea.  Thanks for viewing, C&C are welcome! :classic:

Really nice interior build, like I said on Flickr I love the rafters!  The quarter circles look great too and the artistic shot is lovely!

Those rafters rule and I like the look of this fig a lot. The hair and expression work well together and I like that he's got an axe instead of the usual sword.

Great fig and excellent presentation! Can’t wait to see what adventures this new character will have in Book III :classic:

On 8/2/2018 at 9:05 PM, Kai NRG said:

Really nice interior build, like I said on Flickr I love the rafters!  The quarter circles look great too and the artistic shot is lovely!

Thanks Kai!  Came across those parts as I was wondering what to do for the roof, and as soon as I found out they fit so well I knew I'd have to get them in there! :classic:  And gotta use all those lovely quarter circles! :grin:

On 8/3/2018 at 4:25 AM, mccoyed said:

Those rafters rule and I like the look of this fig a lot. The hair and expression work well together and I like that he's got an axe instead of the usual sword.

Thanks man!  The axe is slightly ironic since I said his family is in the sword-making business, but as a matter of fact, I actually don't have a single sword with me at the moment... :laugh:  So axe it is! 

On 8/3/2018 at 11:57 PM, Andrew Spader said:

Sick roof design, and great fig! 

Thanks mate!

On 8/4/2018 at 10:31 AM, Gideon said:

Great fig and excellent presentation! Can’t wait to see what adventures this new character will have in Book III :classic:

Thanks Gideon, I'm definitely looking forward to building them!  Can't wait to see what you come up with in Kali either! (Though it is too bad we couldn't quite sway you into coming on over to Varlyrio with us! :grin:)

On 8/4/2018 at 12:58 PM, TheLordOfBricks said:

Nice! Looking forward to what you pull put of the hat for Book III! :)

Thanks man! :classic:

1 hour ago, Garmadon said:

Thanks Gideon, I'm definitely looking forward to building them!  Can't wait to see what you come up with in Kali either! (Though it is too bad we couldn't quite sway you into coming on over to Varlyrio with us! :grin:)

If everyone would join Varlyrio wouldn't we have a "Book III: Guilds of Varlyrio"? :wink: 

Gideon will however himself visit the Western Isle in the spirit of prosperous trade between Barqa and Illaryian!

Great fig and intro! Love the rounded beams (is that the right word?) in the roof!!

Hey if he's an axe guy from a family of sword makers, maybe he's just rebelling! :P

The combination of macaroni tiles on the wall, the dinosaur tails curved beam, and curved slopes topping the walls give a very unique and ornate style :thumbup:
I also like how you used a wedge plate and 1x1 quarter circle tile to give a rounded front corner to the base. Though I do think a little more color implemented besides reddish brown would make the scene pop more.
For instance, the books on the bookshelf are a neat detail that almost gets lost because it is brown on brown. Or maybe some brighter transparent colors as stained glass in the windows?

As SK said, everything being brown makes the detail of the background get lost. However, that does allow all of the attention to be on the fig and avoids distractions from any extraneous details. I like the rafters and the use of the quarter circle tiles on the back wall, though my favorite detail is probably the cheese windows. 

Small, but nice. I really like the many rounded elements, not something we see very often in the Lego universe. Aside from that, I really like the windows! :thumbup: 

A small remark: for being a sig-fig introduction, I'm kind of missing the guild colours?

On 8/6/2018 at 10:50 AM, Gideon said:

If everyone would join Varlyrio wouldn't we have a "Book III: Guilds of Varlyrio"? :wink: 

Gideon will however himself visit the Western Isle in the spirit of prosperous trade between Barqa and Illaryian!

Haha!  Looking forward to it! :classic:

On 8/6/2018 at 1:08 PM, de Gothia said:

Great fig and intro! Love the rounded beams (is that the right word?) in the roof!!

Thanks mate!  I think I'd call them rafters - but rounded beams works fine! :laugh: :thumbup:

On 8/6/2018 at 4:28 PM, mccoyed said:

Hey if he's an axe guy from a family of sword makers, maybe he's just rebelling! :P

That's a possibility... :grin: 

On 8/8/2018 at 6:49 AM, soccerkid6 said:

The combination of macaroni tiles on the wall, the dinosaur tails curved beam, and curved slopes topping the walls give a very unique and ornate style :thumbup:
I also like how you used a wedge plate and 1x1 quarter circle tile to give a rounded front corner to the base. Though I do think a little more color implemented besides reddish brown would make the scene pop more.
For instance, the books on the bookshelf are a neat detail that almost gets lost because it is brown on brown. Or maybe some brighter transparent colors as stained glass in the windows?

Thanks SK! - had to get some use out of all these nice curved parts I have on hand!  Yep, some details definitely get lost in all the brown, but as HQ mentioned, I kind of was trying to go for a background that would make the minifig really stand out.  A little more color probably would have been a good idea, though!

On 8/9/2018 at 2:57 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

As SK said, everything being brown makes the detail of the background get lost. However, that does allow all of the attention to be on the fig and avoids distractions from any extraneous details. I like the rafters and the use of the quarter circle tiles on the back wall, though my favorite detail is probably the cheese windows. 

Thanks HQ!  The window idea came from Forlorn Empire's build, and I knew I'd have to make a note of it!

On 8/14/2018 at 5:16 AM, TitusV said:

Small, but nice. I really like the many rounded elements, not something we see very often in the Lego universe. Aside from that, I really like the windows! :thumbup: 

A small remark: for being a sig-fig introduction, I'm kind of missing the guild colours?

Thanks, my man!  Hmm, good question... on... the helmet? :grin: :laugh:  Honestly, though, even if the official flag colors are white and black, I kind of picture the 'Varlyrian colors' to be black, dark red, brown, and gold.  I can't exactly say why, but they do kind of go with the Venice vibe...