Rogue Angel

Book III - Varlyrio: Guild sign-up and Discussion

On 8/1/2018 at 10:45 PM, Rogue Angel said:

Today, there are 11 trade ministers (Finance, War, Arms, Art, Domestic Goods, Agriculture, Herds and Stocks, Plantations, Commerce, Seas, and the Prime Minister of Trade) as well as the ministers of Dwarven and Goblin Affairs. The family that earns the most contracts in all trade is granted the position of Minister of Trade, and serve as the Rego for the Guild.  The Minister of Trade, and the two next highest earning ministers are called the Artori.  These three ministers rule the Guild, with the Rego having the strongest vote.

The De Fiori's are experienced sword-makers and the masters of that trade in Varlyrio

The Khoar armors are found all over Historica and their legends

Prime Minister of Trade: Rogue Angel

Minister of Arms: Garmadon

Minster of Ward: Narbilu

@Basiliscus - you would likely be vying for Minister of Agriculture or Plantations. 

11 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

The reason I ask is that it's a bit limiting only being able to build wine related builds, I've already built a vineyard (Conzaga Manor) and tavern (Murder at the Golden Flag Inn) so there's limited things left. Most of the intrigue does not necessarily need to be related to wine, but instead is related to power and politics.

Once you have established an example of your key business areas, you can expand to anything else relating to the other aspects of your trade.  This may be related to your primary business (storage or transfer warehouses, wine merchants, glass blowers, or other things like what @Muakhah mentioned above) or alternately other trade goods under your Ministry (such as grains or vegetables for Agriculture) or other interactions that relate more to securing contracts, political intrigue or power struggles.

If someone else wants to challenge you, they would try to do a better job of portraying their business under the same Ministry.  Maybe they have giant pumpkin farms, and do pumpkin pie and festivals and decorations, etc.  But it all comes down to how well you are showing the extent of your power throughout Varlyrio.

11 hours ago, x105Black said:

The West has been a force for both good and evil, depending on which particular events you look at.  And while I absolutely appreciate that the West has merits, I also value the merits and ideals of other cultures that have populated this Earth.  This is why I enjoy more nuanced characters (Game of Thrones doing a much better job than Tolkien in this regard) rather than blanket statements about Fantasy races.  For every 'Evil' race in a setting, I always imagine a 'Good' character.  And vice-versa.

I can appreciate some darkness, myself.  I'm looking forward to seeing how your story develops.

mccoyed can tell you I went too far in our private conversation, but I'll say that for the record I do 100% agree GoT is a wayyy more realistic portrayal of life and politics, even if Tolkien is far more to my taste in fantasy. 

5 hours ago, Rogue Angel said:

If you don't have a sigfig posted yet (@Andrew Spader) AND at least a free build or Challenge entry ( @W Navarre) you will NOT be eligible to have your family ranked.  (Andrew - you may have posted your sigfig, but I don't remember it)

I thought I did but I can't find it here, so I'll make a platform and get a picture to here as soon as I can

Edited by Andrew Spader
For some reason my computer italicized part of my response

That moment when you intend to change your signature and you change your display name by mistake...........

1 hour ago, Judge of the Wastelands said:

mccoyed can tell you I went too far in our private conversation, but I'll say that for the record I do 100% agree GoT is a wayyy more realistic portrayal of life and politics, even if Tolkien is far more to my taste in fantasy. 

I thought I did but I can't find it here, so I'll make a platform and get a picture to here as soon as I can

Hey, you explained your views fairly well. Don't be hard on yourself. If you like Tolkien, I strongly recommend The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany and The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Both have a similar approach to fantasy, namely a romanticism in both language and approach to ideas and events. Elfland in particular reads in a peculiar way, almost like a supernatural dream.

4 hours ago, Judge of the Wastelands said:

That moment when you intend to change your signature and you change your display name by mistake...........

:laugh:  Quite a title you got there now!

At last, I join Varlyrio! This is my character, Ásgeir Di Cioto:

45702625035_02ac7b0d56_z.jpg

The photo links to the topic (and it actually does now) which has five free builds (more details later). And this is only the beginning.  Glad to join you all!  It has been coming a long time :wink: .

Edited by W Navarre

@Judge of the Wastelands: given this is the guild of intrigue, I'm reading deeper into your name change. I think it's a cold and calculated ploy to be given this title for real!! :grin:

Welcome to Varlyrio @W Navarre! It's only taken me about 3 months to persuade you, so glad it finally paid off.

Your character introduction is suitably mysterious, but the builds are gorgeous. Look forward to murdering off our characters together! :laugh:

Edited by Basiliscus
typos

5 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Welcome to Varlyrio @W Navarre! It's only taken me about 3 months to persuade you, so glad it finally paid off.

Hey, I thought I was the one who actually invited you to join :tongue: . But boy, that was August! You beat me by more than just a couple months, haha! Thanks again for dragging me along, keep it up I may need it :wink: . 

9 hours ago, W Navarre said:

(or maybe not... haha, how do you do that?)

Double click on the picture in the editor and then follow your nose...

15 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Hey, you explained your views fairly well. Don't be hard on yourself. If you like Tolkien, I strongly recommend The King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany and The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Both have a similar approach to fantasy, namely a romanticism in both language and approach to ideas and events. Elfland in particular reads in a peculiar way, almost like a supernatural dream.

It's funny, I do like that approach to fantasy, but my story conforms far more to the crime fiction I read than Tolkien. 

7 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

@Judge of the Wastelands: given this is the guild of intrigue, I'm reading deeper into your name change. I think it's a cold and calculated ploy to be given this title for real!! :grin:

Perhaps.............

6 hours ago, W Navarre said:

Hey, I thought I was the one who actually invited you to join :tongue: . But boy, that was August! You beat me by more than just a couple months, haha! Thanks again for dragging me along, keep it up I may need it :wink: . 

Well I guess whomever led whomever we're here now! Just like the Conzagas will be saying to the de Ciotos soon - you're trapped now and there's no escape! :laugh:

In the western wastelands it is not uncommon to find a fighting pit like this one in Ilesole:

45976269074_6e2f607ee3_c.jpg

Here is an entry into category B of challenge II, and the first chapter to my saga, hope you like it! Photo links to the topic. And how are everyone else's entries going? Let's try to win this challenge for Varlyrio! 

My 'family' (From left)

Raven Fernwood, Businessman, Politician, Merchant, and second-largest shareholder in the Black Lodge Trading Company. 

Mayor Edwards, Mayor of Gromm, Provisional Governor of the Wastelands, Head of one of the Trading conglomerates in Varlyrio

(Raxus) Orsen Waythe, Majority shareholder, Black Lodge Trading Company, Judge of Wastelands, enforcer/militia leader for the private army employed by Black Lodge

Rugen Yesterling, Businessman, Goblin representative in Gromm, occasional spy for interests outside his constituency, shareholder in Black Lodge

39750768483_9a641e1a66_c.jpgIMG_2006

6 hours ago, W Navarre said:

And how are everyone else's entries going? Let's try to win this challenge for Varlyrio! 

I’m working on a cat B entry. It’s quite big so don’t expect it until the end of the month. I have no plans for the other categories though.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:12 PM, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

I’m working on a cat B entry. It’s quite big so don’t expect it until the end of the month. I have no plans for the other categories though.

Same. Might be done within the week, but it's a big 'un so might not.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:26 PM, W Navarre said:

45976269074_6e2f607ee3_c.jpg

Excellent build and representation of the wastelands

Great effort folks, I've just noticed we have four out of four entries so far, much better showing than challenge I! I am hoping to enter two entries too, I'm a little behind but fingers crossed get them in for the end of January.

Hey guys! Here is my entry to the guild challenge (cat 1d).  It is a build I already showed a small part of in my intro.  It's also chapter two of my saga.  The picture takes to the topic! 

32803269358_ac76512000_c.jpg

Edited by W Navarre

There's my Challenge 2B build. Big one, mostly in terms of needing A LOT of minifigs.

A great showing in Challenge II from Varlyrio, proud of you all. Here's a freebuild from me so that when I post my category A entry tomorrow the story makes sense:

23 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Did my 'family photo' I posted here a little while ago satisfy the requirements you needed?

5 hours ago, Judge of the Wastelands said:

Did my 'family photo' I posted here a little while ago satisfy the requirements you needed?

Yep, it sure did! The bad news is that the Category B entry I wanted to create with your sigfig in it didn't get completed before the deadline. I'll be continuing Mychel and Meiyo's journey in the wastelands through freebuilds anyway, so it will get used.

I did manage to get a Category A entry finished though:

It seems as though we might be running out of time for more entries but I thought that Varlyrio did a stellar job across all three categories in this challenge! Well done gentlemen and I'm sure this will be reflected in the scores.