Rogue Angel

Book III - Varlyrio: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Can you guys give me some suggestions on what buildings an eastern varlyrian street might have. I’ve built a wine seller so far but I’m running low on ideas.

Edited by ZlatanXVIGustaf

16 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

What about @Andrew Spader and @MaasEffekt, do you guys have plans to enter?

Probably, if time allows. College starting back up will eat away alot of my time, but I think I can get one entry in

Think of a busy Mediterranean or European City. If you are building in Illaryan, it could be virtually anything you would find in a large aging City, like Waterdeep, Paris, London, etc. Alongside the merchants, tradesfolk and service providers you would find anywhere, Varlyrio is known for it's wine merchants, fish markets/cafes, antique vendors, bookbinders and scribes (book translations, reproductions and counterfeiting are highly sought after), fine clothiers and contract brokers of all sorts. It is amazing what kind of "contracts" can be secured in Illaryan.

1 hour ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Can you guys give me some suggestions on what buildings an eastern varlyrian street might have. I’ve built a wine seller so far but I’m running low on ideas.

7 hours ago, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

I hope the wine seller sells the fine Conzaga vintage, a classic that massages the palette, or so I've heard! :grin:

I think given that Varlyrio is based on Mediterranean cultures such as medieval Italy, you can say that they are likely to have a larger middle class with income than other guilds, therefore shops which sell goods for coin are more prominent. So shops such as apocetharies, wine sellers, bookshops, leather sellers, tailors, swordsmiths, cafes, inns, etc will be available. Hope that helps!

5 hours ago, Andrew Spader said:

Probably, if time allows. College starting back up will eat away alot of my time, but I think I can get one entry in

Great! What are you studying at college?

I've been playing Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I think we should take more inspiration, probably in smaller towns and cities or "old towns", from it. The amount of detail in the settlements in that game is intense and I think the landscape and flora are close to what Varlyrio should be like.

27 minutes ago, MaasEffekt said:

Don't know it yet. If i can come up with a good idea, i might. Thinking...

With the Challenges, the key is more to meet the spirit of the Challenge than to be particularly innovative or unique. We try to set them up so you can represent what would be going on with your characters and regions.

14 hours ago, Andrew Spader said:

One entry is just fine. Don't feel obligated to meet every category, just build what works for you.

With less active participants in Varlyrio, it is more important that we represent on each Challenge. I will try to get something posted myself as well.

9 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Great! What are you studying at college?

History, believe it or not. 

And, the last of my family intro builds (for now :laugh:  At least, I don't have any more planned until half of these peeps are gone :grin: :tongue:).  Now to get started on entries for the new challenge!

45793513024_dd86224418_z.jpg

(Picture linked to topic)

Finished my 1D a day before I left, just now got the story written out. Now for that Challenge II build.....

Remember to get any last free builds up tonight!

I just posted one:

Should have another small one up yet this evening.

Happy New Years!

Happy New Year to you all!

Hope Varlyrio can reign supreme in 2019!

Was great to see so many freebuilds just before the deadline, hopefully that will help us! It'd be good to do something like what Kaliphlin did (Kaliphlin at work) for the next freebuild window. In the mean time, challenge entries!

Edited by Basiliscus

Right, so I haven't made as much progress as I'd like to have recently, my daughter has finally succumbed to the chicken pox so that's been a bit of a setback.

I've been thinking about Mychel's storyline and how I can fit it in to the Challenge II categories. I'm hoping to post my Challenge C entry this weekend, which shows Staffen (Conzaga family head) taking a bribe from the queen to distribute wine for free to keep the populace subdued and distracted.

You may remember that Mychel left the Eastern lands after an attempt on his brother's life. I primarily created this story so Mychel could travel across Varlyrio and I could build a bunch of things to satisfy the Guild Challenge. I also hoped to include some other people's characters on these builds too, to foster cooperation.

So with that in mind could folks give me an idea of whether they'd be happy for me to include their sigfigs (or family members) in my builds and if so can you please give me a brief idea of where they are currently and whether they'd be friendly or hostile to Mychel? Thanks!

@Basiliscus

My Challenge builds often don't include sigfigs or important characters from my story builds because they are off doing things and it doesn't make sense. That said, Stena, Kass, Abelia, etc are all part of my Varlyrio family and can stand-in for builds where it doesn't make sense to include Fel. As for the others...

If your builds include "society" functions, Abelia is the D'Gatto to include. She isn't openly hostile to anyone because the D'Gattos are a "weak" family (for now). Pardo can show up as well because he's apolitical and though a bit of a recluse, would probably show up for any artistic events. Stena is the least likely to appear in non-military or ceremonial builds. An event that includes Varlyrian Knighthoods might include her as an emissary from the Sana Argenta. Kass, on the other hand, could show up just about anywhere and likely would if only to make a nuisance of himself.

Hope that helps!

On 1/5/2019 at 4:31 AM, Basiliscus said:

So with that in mind could folks give me an idea of whether they'd be happy for me to include their sigfigs (or family members) in my builds and if so can you please give me a brief idea of where they are currently and whether they'd be friendly or hostile to Mychel? Thanks!

Orsen Waythe is something of a nomad, so it would be reasonable to run into him anywhere in the vicinity of the Wastelands. That said, you may be better served using the Mayor of Gromm (the town that is 'the crystal in the rocks of the wasteland' according to Waythe) or Raven Fernwood, the wealthy businessman, politician, and partner in the Black Lodge Trading Company (frankly you could put him wherever you want in Varlyrio, he travels alot). Feel free to use Fernwood or the Mayor (if you're building in the area) in anything you do. 

On 12/28/2018 at 10:50 AM, Rogue Angel said:

One entry is just fine. Don't feel obligated to meet every category, just build what works for you.

Given how fast I finished my first, I think I can get one more in before the deadline. But we shall see. 

Speaking of which.....

My entry to Cat. C

On 1/5/2019 at 6:31 AM, Basiliscus said:

You may remember that Mychel left the Eastern lands after an attempt on his brother's life. I primarily created this story so Mychel could travel across Varlyrio and I could build a bunch of things to satisfy the Guild Challenge. I also hoped to include some other people's characters on these builds too, to foster cooperation.

Sure, feel free to include any of my figs if you'd like!  Some are less sociable than others, and some more friendly than others, but none of them should currently be hostile to the Conzagas :thumbup:  For the most part they live in or around Tergiversa, in the bay below the capital of Varlyrio.  Illaryian is the dot with the circle around it on the map here, and Tergiversa would be the other larger dot below it in the Bay of Ilar. 

varlyrio_map.jpg

And by the way, as far as I know none of the dots on the map are named yet or have much real significance except for three cities in the Bay (Illaryian, Tergiversa, and Kashgar), so if anybody would like to name and place their family's headquarters in one of the others or establish a city somewhere else, feel free to do so!  We don't have a land-claiming system like Avalonia did in the first couple of books, but everyone is welcome to build up their own city in Varlyrio if they'd like, or settle in the capital or another established location.

2 hours ago, Andrew Spader said:

Orsen Waythe is something of a nomad, so it would be reasonable to run into him anywhere in the vicinity of the Wastelands. That said, you may be better served using the Mayor of Gromm (the town that is 'the crystal in the rocks of the wasteland' according to Waythe) or Raven Fernwood, the wealthy businessman, politician, and partner in the Black Lodge Trading Company (frankly you could put him wherever you want in Varlyrio, he travels alot). Feel free to use Fernwood or the Mayor (if you're building in the area) in anything you do. 

Thanks! One small issue I have is that I am using yellow minifigs for my builds, whereas you are using flesh, if I did include one of your characters would you object if I found a close yellow equivalent?

I think I will try and include the marauders and/or your Black Lodge Trading Company in one of my builds.

42 minutes ago, Garmadon said:

Sure, feel free to include any of my figs if you'd like!  Some are less sociable than others, and some more friendly than others, but none of them should currently be hostile to the Conzagas :thumbup:  For the most part they live in or around Tergiversa, on the coast north of the capital of Varlyrio.  Illaryian is the dot with the circle around it on the map here, and Tergiversa would be the other larger dot below it in the Bay of Ilar (unless that is Kashgar, in which case my city can be pushed over a little to the other side of the river :laugh:

varlyrio_map.jpg

And by the way, as far as I know none of the dots on the map are named yet or have much real significance except for three cities in the Bay (Illaryian, Tergiversa, and Kashgar), so if anybody would like to name and place their family's headquarters in one of the others or establish a city somewhere else, feel free to do so!  We don't have a land-claiming system like Avalonia did in the first couple of books, but everyone is welcome to build up their own city in Varlyrio if they'd like, or settle in the capital or another established location.

Thanks! Tergiversa is a long way from Mychel's story arc, but glad to know I can use your characters if need be.

I'm a bit confused to where Tergiversa is though - you say it's on the coast north of the capital, but then that it's the dot below it?

Also I've never understood what the large S-shaped line is going north to south through the middle of Varlyrio is? Can you elaborate?

The Conzagas, being wine merchants, don't really own a city as such, they have predominantly agricultural holdings (and a few inns here and there), so I've no city claims.

However, I did have an idea to run past you all. I was thinking that since the wastelands are being pacified against the marauders, that it could be a frontier of sorts. I was thinking it could be a little like a crusade - rich families send their sons to serve and also buy adventure hunts of orcs and so on. As part of Meiyo/Mychel's story I was hoping to have him fall in with soldiers raiding an orc village, presumably internal conflict within Varlyrio is fine as long as it's not out of hand?

The S line is a marker of the supposed line where the islands met back in the earthquakes of Chiaro's reign, if I understand it rightly.  Although, I think the line was nearer to the mountains as that would have formed them, but then cartographers don't always get things right, you know :wink: . 

Edited by W Navarre

3 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

I'm a bit confused to where Tergiversa is though - you say it's on the coast north of the capital, but then that it's the dot below it?

Right.  I'd changed the location in my head half-way through the post and forgot to go back and fix it :laugh:  South it is!

Navarre is right about the line being a rift that resulted from the collision of Varlyrio's (formerly) two islands.  He's also right that the map is a rough approximation and not 100% correct :grin:

However, I did have an idea to run past you all. I was thinking that since the wastelands are being pacified against the marauders, that it could be a frontier of sorts. I was thinking it could be a little like a crusade - rich families send their sons to serve and also buy adventure hunts of orcs and so on. As part of Meiyo/Mychel's story I was hoping to have him fall in with soldiers raiding an orc village, presumably internal conflict within Varlyrio is fine as long as it's not out of hand?

Yep, I think that should be fine - internal conflict is pretty much the name of the game in Varlyrio!  Bandittti and suchlike abound in the western wastelands past the mountains, and it's pretty much wild and lawless out there, with maybe the exception of a couple of cities on the far western coast, which almost reach the level of the cities on the east.

I like @Basiliscus's idea about the Western Frontier. I think we would also have isolated strongholds in the wastes that aren't as lawless but are basically city-states since being cut-off from any larger power in the region.

I think we should try to give reasons for the raiding and savage life of the wastes that aren't "because evil". For example, with resources being sparse and the wastes producing generations of fairly hardy folk (be they orc, minotaur, lionell, whatever), raiding culture is just a norm. Attacking settlements and caravans is a kind of sport/way of life for these guys. In practical terms, it gives them access to wealth and resources that are difficult to acquire or impossible to find in the west.

Just some thoughts. I personally dislike "evil races" and things like that, so I try to look at historical (or at least reasonable) rationales for banditry or larger-scale attacks/tension with "civilization".

Edited by mccoyed

8 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Thanks! One small issue I have is that I am using yellow minifigs for my builds, whereas you are using flesh, if I did include one of your characters would you object if I found a close yellow equivalent?

I think I will try and include the marauders and/or your Black Lodge Trading Company in one of my builds.

The Marauders are basically extinct now, so there's that. And a yellow equivalent is more than fine, the only thing that triggers me is flesh tone and yellow tone in the same build. 

11 hours ago, W Navarre said:

The S line is a marker of the supposed line where the islands met back in the earthquakes of Chiaro's reign, if I understand it rightly.  Although, I think the line was nearer to the mountains as that would have formed them, but then cartographers don't always get things right, you know :wink: . 

10 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Navarre is right about the line being a rift that resulted from the collision of Varlyrio's (formerly) two islands.  He's also right that the map is a rough approximation and not 100% correct :grin:

Thanks for clarifying gents! What does this rift look like then? Is it a bottomless chasm, a step change in the landscape, or is it just marked for convenience and the mountain range is the only physical manifestation?

10 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Right.  I'd changed the location in my head half-way through the post and forgot to go back and fix it :laugh:  South it is!

Yep, I think that should be fine - internal conflict is pretty much the name of the game in Varlyrio!  Bandittti and suchlike abound in the western wastelands past the mountains, and it's pretty much wild and lawless out there, with maybe the exception of a couple of cities on the far western coast, which almost reach the level of the cities on the east.

South works for me! Eventually hopefully we can have a more detailed map as I am terrible at remembering this stuff.

That's more or less how I imagined it - maybe one or two predominantly human-centric city in the wastelands (e.g. @Andrew Spader's town of Gromm) but otherwise just scattered orc, minotaur and Scarlet Marauder encampments.

8 hours ago, mccoyed said:

I like @Basiliscus's idea about the Western Frontier. I think we would also have isolated strongholds in the wastes that aren't as lawless but are basically city-states since being cut-off from any larger power in the region.

I think we should try to give reasons for the raiding and savage life of the wastes that aren't "because evil". For example, with resources being sparse and the wastes producing generations of fairly hardy folk (be they orc, minotaur, lionell, whatever), raiding culture is just a norm. Attacking settlements and caravans is a kind of sport/way of life for these guys. In practical terms, it gives them access to wealth and resources that are difficult to acquire or impossible to find in the west.

Just some thoughts. I personally dislike "evil races" and things like that, so I try to look at historical (or at least reasonable) rationales for banditry or larger-scale attacks/tension with "civilization".

To be fair, I really just leveraged @Andrew Spader's storyline and expanded it a bit for my own needs. Totally agreed on the race equals character thing. That's basically why I despise Tolkien (controversial I know) because he characterises entire races and to me this is childish and inhibits good storytelling. I think that, albeit fantasy, races such as orcs and minotaurs would have their own reasons for doing good and evil. I was planning on having humans who want to destroy all the non-human and marauder settlements a la the crusades, but are limited by a lack of manpower and support from the wealthy eastern families, orcs/minotaurs who collaborate with the humans because they want other enemy tribes defeated, humans who live amongst the orcs/minotaurs and want to trade with them, etc. A mixture of the crusades and the American old west is probably about right.

4 hours ago, Andrew Spader said:

The Marauders are basically extinct now, so there's that. And a yellow equivalent is more than fine, the only thing that triggers me is flesh tone and yellow tone in the same build. 

Thanks for that! Yes, I can't stand the mix of yellow and flesh either, so hence why I was asking. I'll have a look through my figs later and see what I can do.

2 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Thanks for clarifying gents! What does this rift look like then? Is it a bottomless chasm, a step change in the landscape, or is it just marked for convenience and the mountain range is the only physical manifestation?

I think you can make that as you wish, I just imagine the mountains would be the only result of such a crash, but huge gorges and chasms here and there along the line makes sense and sounds awesome to me! 

To be fair, I really just leveraged @Andrew Spader's storyline and expanded it a bit for my own needs. Totally agreed on the race equals character thing. That's basically why I despise Tolkien (controversial I know) because he characterises entire races and to me this is childish and inhibits good storytelling. I think that, albeit fantasy, races such as orcs and minotaurs would have their own reasons for doing good and evil. I was planning on having humans who want to destroy all the non-human and marauder settlements a la the crusades, but are limited by a lack of manpower and support from the wealthy eastern families, orcs/minotaurs who collaborate with the humans because they want other enemy tribes defeated, humans who live amongst the orcs/minotaurs and want to trade with them, etc. A mixture of the crusades and the American old west is probably about right.

I think this is a misread of Tolkien personally. Orcs weren't their own race, they were the bizarro elves (and elves being 'angels' orcs would be fallen angels) and thus I find the charges of racism leveled at Tolkien ridiculous.

13 hours ago, mccoyed said:

In fairness, the Marauders were more of a plot device than an actual addition to the lore of Varlyrio. I'm not a fan of 'orange man bad' character explanations ether, rest assured of that. The device was more to explain why the Head of a Trading Company was a warrior, and why trading companies had (or contracted with) private armies. Orsen Waythe's dream (and it's close to becoming reality) is to plant his flag so trading can actually go peacefully without everyone's stuff getting stolen. 

On a more personal note, very glad to hear my story is interesting enough to be adapted into yours!