Rogue Angel

Book III - Varlyrio: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Thanks Bas. I Challenge 2 hasn't been announced yet, though. I would be that the deadline won't be til well into spring either. Seems like things are slowing down again after the initial surge when Book 3 launched. Hope I'm wrong.

EDIT: Saw that build on Flickr, Bas. It's awesome. Great 2d scene.

Edited by mccoyed

4 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Thanks Bas. I Challenge 2 hasn't been announced yet, though. I would be that the deadline won't be til well into spring either. Seems like things are slowing down again after the initial surge when Book 3 launched. Hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, my understanding is Challenge II starts 15th December and ends 31st January, I think @Rogue Angel mentioned that in another thread.

I think there's been a lack of activity in the run up to Xmas, hopefully things will pick up again next year.

Thanks for the comments on the build - just gonna get dinner and upload the other two MOCs.

4 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Oh ye of little faith...

Yeah, yeah. :P I got cynical during the last year. Hopefully my optimism is rekindled! I didn't really think about it being Xmas so probably you guys are right and this is a brief seasonal slump.

9 hours ago, mccoyed said:

Yeah, yeah. :P I got cynical during the last year. Hopefully my optimism is rekindled! I didn't really think about it being Xmas so probably you guys are right and this is a brief seasonal slump.

I've noticed that there's usually a slowdown around this time due to both holidays and everyone feverishly building for the CCC.

I have a question as I was thinking of ideas for future builds. The other guilds have an animal associated with them, Dragon, Bear, Lion, Serpent. And the queen is associated with the Unicorn.

Does Varlyrio have an animal associated with it?

We could use this, if we want an animal. Some kind of bird. It is two sided like a coin. Like Varlyrio. Beautiful, but got a dark side too.

3846p46.png

1 hour ago, MaasEffekt said:

We could use this, if we want an animal. Some kind of bird. It is two sided like a coin. Like Varlyrio. Beautiful, but got a dark side too.

3846p46.png

It’s a cool symbol. I am not sure if the falcon has already been used by any factions. Reminds me of the Maltese Falcon a bit.

I'm not sure if we have or need a specific animal. Medieval heraldry was full of very similar designs, so no one animal was used exclusively by one family. I'd say pick whatever shields make sense for you!

9 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

I'm not sure if we have or need a specific animal. Medieval heraldry was full of very similar designs, so no one animal was used exclusively by one family. I'd say pick whatever shields make sense for you!

It was more to refer to them in a poem or story symbolically. So if it read the Dragon placed the Unicorn on the throne then people would know it actually refers to Avalonia and the current Queen. As Varlyrio doesn’t have one yet I guess I’ll pick based on whether the in character story teller has a positive or negative view of Varlyrio.

Varlyrio can be referred to as the Seahorse, Viper, Kraken, Fish, Horse, Hydra... 

Finally got that family vig posted - another and larger one to come in a few days here! :classic:

46367462392_9a3accf013_z.jpg

(Picture linked to topic)

Nice work @Garmadon! Another great addition to your family.

So who's planning to build for Challenge II? I've built about 30% of a Category C entry and I've got ideas for the other two categories. All going well I'd like to enter them all.

Would be good to hear who plans to enter because we will need as many points as possible!

Thanks Bas!  I'm planning on at least a Cat. C - I may get to enter one of the other two as well (Cat. B sounds like it could be quite neat), but I've got such a quantity of things to build for such a quantity of different things that I'm not entirely sure I'll have time for more than one :grin:  I do hope to finish up my family vigs pretty soon though!

16 minutes ago, Basiliscus said:

I've built about 30% of a Category C entry and I've got ideas for the other two categories. All going well I'd like to enter them all.

Nice, looking forward to it! :excited:  Not letting the grass grow under your feet, I see! :thumbup: :grin:

3 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

Nice work @Garmadon! Another great addition to your family.

So who's planning to build for Challenge II? I've built about 30% of a Category C entry and I've got ideas for the other two categories. All going well I'd like to enter them all.

Would be good to hear who plans to enter because we will need as many points as possible!

I’m going to enter category B, not sure about the other ones though.

Apologies for my inactivity! I’m back to building now though.

Another build from me!  And check out the new family members and their descriptions here.

46421669752_ce0bc76d60_z.jpg

(Picture linked to topic)

I'm working on something for Category B but I don't want to spoil it (I will say it's another big, ambitious build by my standards). Just hoping no one has the same idea. I should be done pretty early too and may do something for Cat A or C as well.

Edited by mccoyed

I had this idea for Challenge 1 that was just... way too much with the stuff I had going at the time. I wanted to do a new university in Cedrica with colleges for each Guild (and appropriate architecture) as a kind of modular build. Then I realize I would never get that done in the window I had so I thought maybe a monument and then I was just out of time haha.

The one I'm working on now is 20% or so done. I work fast so it just needs a couple more sit-downs and it'll be ready to maybe show a WIP.