Rogue Angel

Book III - Varlyrio: Guild sign-up and Discussion

@Wiltar: nice introduction and fig, love the idea of a mercenary company (I'm assuming by the name Sforza you've taken a large dose of inspiration from the Italian city states of the 14th - 16th centuries and theirĀ condottieri) in Varlyrio, seems like a perfect fit. Look forward to seeing more of your character's story.

5 hours ago, Wiltar said:

I'm buildingĀ her family villa right now and plan to have the company battle its current occupants to regain control. It will count towards a few builds and help tell their story. I challenged myself to try a few new techniques and I think it will pay off nicely.

I wouldn't put it past a family (like the Amancios) to produce an heir to Isabella's family (long list sister "Oxabella?") It is not uncommon for leading families to fabricate smaller families with which to influence affairs or carry out less than savory goals.

On 10/27/2018 at 5:55 AM, Basiliscus said:

@Wiltar: nice introduction and fig, love the idea of a mercenary company (I'm assuming by the name Sforza you've taken a large dose of inspiration from the Italian city states of the 14th - 16th centuries and theirĀ condottieri) in Varlyrio, seems like a perfect fit. Look forward to seeing more of your character's story.

That's exactly who I had in mind ;) Caterina Sforza is kind of an inspiration for the Isabella character as a strong female who held her own against all comers in a world run by men. Such a fascinating character. And the idea of the condotierri and their use to establish a power base or as a negotiation tactic with other duchies and families. I hope to use that to help tell our stories.

Ā 

Maybe after reclaiming her home, Isabella and her condotierri, led by Bayl, will be hored by various houses or even other Guilds across Historica. At least that's my goal :)

Ā 

Congratulations to the Challenge 1 winner for Varlyrio:Ā @BasiliscusĀ -Ā Conzaga Manor
Ā 

@narbiluĀ also had one of my favorite entries.

Here Are the Challenge 1 entryĀ  scoring results:

Avalonia - 79 gold
Kaliphlin - 47 gold
Mitgardia - 29 gold
Varlyrio - 22 gold

And here are the gold earnings for the first free build period.
Avalonia - 134 gold
Varlyrio - 110 gold
Mitgardia - 94 gold
Kaliphlin -Ā  62 gold

Giving the current standings of the guilds:
Avalonia - 213 gold
Varlyrio - 132 gold
Mitgardia - 123 goldļ»æ
Kaliphlin -Ā  109 gold

Ā 

We are in 2nd place right now, but we can overtake Avalonia. You guys did a great job with free builds this period, but we will need more entries during Challenge 2 if we want to catch up.

Keep up the good work!

The Challenge deadline crept up and I didn't realize it was coming to an end.

Great entries all around, though!

Nice costumes @mccoyed, cosplay isn't really my bag but you and the wife have clearly put in the effort! Shame you didn't dress up as a lionel, missed a trick there!Ā :laugh:

Great to see we aren't lagging too far behind despite only having two challenge I entries! I presume the character introduction vignettes we all did were why we ended up with so many freebuild points, can you confirm that @Rogue Angel?

I'm working on a set of freebuilds to advance the Conzaga family storyline, then hoping I can enter something from Varlyrio into the CCC when the categories are announced tomorrow.

Ā 

Edited by Basiliscus
typo

On 10/30/2018 at 7:33 PM, Rogue Angel said:

@narbiluĀ also had one of my favorite entries.

Thanks for your compliment.

Good work all... I hope to finish the MOC of Kashgar soon. However time is a little scarse the next few weeks.
My son Moos was born three weeks ago and my wife needs a little extra attention :)

Go Varlyrio!!!

1 minute ago, narbilu said:

Good work all... I hope to finish the MOC of Kashgar soon. However time is a little scarse the next few weeks.
My son Moosļ»æ was born three weeks ago and my wife needs a little extra attention :)

Go Varlyrio!!!

Congratulations to you!

Congratulations @narbilu, hope parenthood treats you well! My daughter is 3.5 years old now so this is me really just getting over the hard bit and getting a bit more time for my own hobbies!

8 hours ago, narbilu said:

My son Moos was born three weeks ago and my wife needs a little extra attention :)

Go Varlyrio!!!

Congratulations! I have a 5-year old and a 3-year old, so I can appreciate your time limitations. Enjoy your son's limited mobility while it lasts.

15 minutes ago, Rogue Angel said:

Congratulations! I have a 5-year old and a 3-year old, so I can appreciate your time limitations. Enjoy your son's limited mobility while it lasts.

I have a 3 year old, a 1 year old, and another on the way; a locked LEGO room (or in my case, basement) is essential. Congrats, @narbilu!

So, with Kaliphlin overturning their free build deficit quite aggressively, how are the Varlyrio members getting on with free builds? I'm planning on advancing the Conzaga family storyline with three scenes (three separate builds), and I've got a number of things I can use here and also for the CCC.

It'd be great to hear how others are getting on!

19 hours ago, Basiliscus said:

So, with Kaliphlin overturning their free build deficit quite aggressively, how are the Varlyrio members getting on with free builds? I'm planning on advancing the Conzaga family storyline with three scenes (three separate builds), and I've got a number of things I can use here and also for the CCC.

It'd be great to hear how others are getting on!

I'm in the process of updating my armies (across the castle/Historica spectrum), and will be posting some better Varlyrio army/Soldier/Guards pictures shortly.Ā 

I finished all of my Halloween stuff just in time to fall sick. I'll get back to my bricks as soon as I can for some expansions of the D'Gatto family. Then back to Fel's story.

Oh yeah - @mccoyed - loved the costumes that you made for Halloween!Ā  As my kids get older, we will start getting into Halloween big-time, but not to the extent you have.Ā  Maybe my kids will get some interest in GenCon down the road, and then all bets are off!

On 11/4/2018 at 4:28 AM, Basiliscus said:

...How are the Varlyrio members getting on with free builds?

I've got a family vig ready for pics and another one on the way... but I'm afraid it got transformed from a vig to a much larger scene by CCC, so it might take me a whileĀ :grin:Ā  Looking forward to what all the rest of you've got in the works!Ā :thumbup:

I just got the pieces I needed to finish the roof of my villa tonight, but I need to furnish it and build the surrounding terrain. I may hold off on the interior since the action of the scene will be taking place outside. I also realized that I didn't include a fireplace and chimney. Again, I may hold off on that and just refurbish the villa after Isabella and her soldiers reclaim it and develop the surrounding estate.

Depending on whether you are more south or north Varlyrio, you may not need a chimney, but instead a smoke hole or vents. Southern Varlyrio is practically tropical, just without the rainfall on the east side. (The southwest coast is downright lush!)

Captain Mesabi of Illaryian swears feilty to Varlyrio!

30876899577_bd58d09611_z.jpgCaptain Mesabi by North White, on Flickr

Biography:Ā Captain Mesabi was born in Illaryian, to a family of nobles known for shady underworld connections. When Mesabi was 9, his sister Ansa was kidnapped by theĀ Kolgari, who took her to the sunken city for unknown purposes. The Captain swore revenge, and spent the next 20Ā years leveraging his family's fortune to build a small trading company, to gain resources for finding her. He married Agnes Zumbro, and the two work to smuggle illegal goods to Historica, while searching for Ansa.Ā 

Thoughts? I intend to get my first build up tonight.Ā 

Welcome Mesabi!Ā  I look forward to seeing your character's story and builds play out.

As a sidenote, the Kolgari only get involved in the deceit and intrigues of Varlyria as Mercenaries for East Valryrian families.Ā  The Kolgari in the subterranean caverns to the west are completely separate (although your character could easily have been led to believe that they are involved, and is quite likely that other East Varlyrians make the assumption that all Kolgari are like the ones they deal with in the Eastern Cities.)

Ā 

Well, somebody looks a bit familiarĀ :laugh:Ā  Welcome to Varlyrio, Mesabi - you've picked the right place for the havoc-wreaking count, I think - be sure to check out the Intrigue thread if you haven't yet!Ā  Don't expect to survive the visit, though...Ā :devil:Ā :grin: