Rogue Angel

Book III - Varlyrio: Guild sign-up and Discussion

2 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Valyrio is an interesting place, and as a trading hub, it would bring together all the latest technologies. I have seen this discussion many times before, but it could go differently in this guild. 

Would it be correct to have some soldiers from Valyrio armed with primitive forms of muskets? Not an entire army, but just a regiment or so? Whats your opinion on this matter?

Hmmm, difficult question for sure... In my opinion (which nowhere near any form of authority, I'm not even Varlyrian myself so...), I feel like they shouldn't. I've always felt like the 'GoH-era' stops just before muskets start being used, so before full regiments would be equipped with them. On the other hand, VaRlyrio is a strange place, as you have said yourself. Hence, I feel like especially the western gnomes could, say, be experimenting with some form(s) of gunpowder (but without it spreading outdside their enclaves. The richest of trading families could maybe hire, if they're lucky, one or two gnomish sharp-shooters, equipped with a musket-like thing?

Last time this came up it was decisively "no". GoH is/was a generally low-magic and low-tech fantasy setting. There's a general notion that the beginning of the gunpowder age in Europe is basically the end of the "middle ages". This isn't strictly (nor historically) speaking true but it still presents a useful line for world-building in fiction. Another thing to consider is the need to distinguish GoH from BoBS. Gunpowder weapons would be a step toward blurring that line.

That said, the staff might have a different position on this for Book 3. I'd be interested to see. I feel ambivalent about it, personally. 

Edited by mccoyed

Black Powder or "Gnome's Bane" as Varlyrians of non-Gnome descent refer to it, has been used by Gnomes for generations in experimentation and construction.  The gnomes consider black powder a 1st level element, and as such it often is used in inventions and exploration quite frequently by younger, more short-lived gnomes.  Older, wiser gnomes rely more on steam power (a 4th level element) due to it's reliability and less sudden nature, but sadly young gnomes often view it as a shortcut to quick fame and fortune.

Gnome's Bane is called this because it is one of the most well-documented cause of death for Gnomes, due to it's obvious forensic qualities.

Dwarves detest black powder given the fragile subterranean environments they operate in, and the widespread tunnel and cavern collapse and structure destruction that often accompany it's use.

44 minutes ago, Rogue Angel said:

Black Powder or "Gnome's Bane" as Varlyrians of non-Gnome descent refer to it, has been used by Gnomes for generations in experimentation and construction.  The gnomes consider black powder a 1st level element, and as such it often is used in inventions and exploration quite frequently by younger, more short-lived gnomes.  Older, wiser gnomes rely more on steam power (a 4th level element) due to it's reliability and less sudden nature, but sadly young gnomes often view it as a shortcut to quick fame and fortune.

Gnome's Bane is called this because it is one of the most well-documented cause of death for Gnomes, due to it's obvious forensic qualities.

Dwarves detest black powder given the fragile subterranean environments they operate in, and the widespread tunnel and cavern collapse and structure destruction that often accompany it's use.

This is cool lore. So "gunpowder" essentially exists but no one has really weaponized it yet. Does that mean fireworks are possible in Historica?

Gnomish fireworks are popular in Varlyrio, yet unreliable.  Usually gnome "pyromancers" are hired to light off fireworks, and most people avoid the larger varieties, unless viewed from a great distance.

Good day!

Trying to find the best guild for me there's a few questions that popped in my head. I wanted to know, cause I'm not sure to understand, if Valyrio Guild is restricted only to old members? Also is it replacing Nocturnus?

Thank you for replying :)

12 minutes ago, TheBrickAlchemist said:

Good day!

Trying to find the best guild for me there's a few questions that popped in my head. I wanted to know, cause I'm not sure to understand, if Valyrio Guild is restricted only to old members? Also is it replacing Nocturnus?

Absolutely not, I think. Varlyrio would love to have new members.

And yes, from what I have heard Nocturnus has been replaced by Varlyrio. However you can still build in Nocturnus, your character just has to be based in another guild.

1 hour ago, TheBrickAlchemist said:

Good day!

Varlyrio is open to all who wish to build there, and anyone may join, whether they have been involved with the Guilds from the very first day of Book I or just stumbled upon the Guilds today. 

Nocturnus is closed to any new members for Book III; those already there may continue to build there, but new people should pick somewhere else in the incredible diversity of Historica to live and build their stories. 

17 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Varlyrio is open to all who wish to build there, and anyone may join, whether they have been involved with the Guilds from the very first day of Book I or just stumbled upon the Guilds today. 

Nocturnus is closed to any new members for Book III; those already there may continue to build there, but new people should pick somewhere else in the incredible diversity of Historica to live and build their stories. 

18 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Absolutely not, I think. Varlyrio would love to have new members.

And yes, from what I have heard Nocturnus has been replaced by Varlyrio. However you can still build in Nocturnus, your character just has to be based in another guild.

Ok thank you guys. I'm still hesitating between Avalonia and Varlyrio though....

Edited by TheBrickAlchemist

16 minutes ago, TheBrickAlchemist said:

Ok thank you guys. I'm still hesitating between Avalonia and Varlyrio though....

That's easy...pick Avalonia!

19 minutes ago, TheBrickAlchemist said:

Easy choice, Varlyrio is way better. Trust me, I’ve been there:wink:

Welcome to GoH regardless of which guild you choose.

Just now, Henjin_Quilones said:

That's easy...pick Avalonia!

Just now, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Easy choice, Varlyrio is way better. Trust me, I’ve been there:wink:

Welcome to GoH regardless of which guild you choose.

Sorry Henjin, Varlyrio it will be!

19 minutes ago, TheBrickAlchemist said:

Oh. Oh-oh... :look:

Nono, welcome to the guilds, no matter which one you have chosen!

50 minutes ago, TheBrickAlchemist said:

I'll try to pull the knife out of my back...I guess you truly are a Varlyrian!

16 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

You don't know where that knife came from! This is all speculation! 

11 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Than he was planning on joining Avalonia first, and must have been bribed to join them!

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:53 PM, ranghaal said:

Thanks for the info!
I would have liked to give the painter some credit when adopting his work to Lego.

Seems to be from Cadwallon RPG-book.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?732422-best-art-(drawings-paintings)-and-layout-in-rpg/page2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadwallon_(role-playing_game)

My entry to the Varlyrian Guild Challenge 1A and start to 1B - check out the De Fiori family in this thread:classic:  (I plan to continue editing and posting in it as I complete Challenge 1B).

43372976924_5f77ae1f97_z.jpg

Just wanting to say that I'm a huge fan of the Varlyrian family scheming mechanics, it almost adds a next dimension to the guild :thumbup:

39 minutes ago, TitusV said:

Just wanting to say that I'm a huge fan of the Varlyrian family scheming mechanics, it almost adds a next dimension to the guild :thumbup:

Why Titus, maybe thats why we are the best guild? You Avalonians are so civil, Political turmoil is where its at!