Kai NRG

Book III - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

On 6/21/2021 at 7:34 PM, Kai NRG said:

Red!

Well, I don't really think there's an official order, but that's kind of what's always felt right to me.

Blue! Just to make it confusing.  I think Blue is always on top for me or on the left if hanging. 

On 5/30/2021 at 1:19 AM, Si-MOCs said:

Rook Sand,

Reporting for duty.

Great build! Great to see you back!

21 hours ago, SkaForHire said:

Blue! Just to make it confusing.  I think Blue is always on top for me or on the left if hanging. 

Also wrong!!:tongue: When looking at Dextrus' banner it should be on the right side:

6327341651_e332b5d8e7.jpg

I think you should start a civil war about which color should go on top:devil:

3 hours ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Also wrong!!:tongue: When looking at Dextrus' banner it should be on the right side:

6327341651_e332b5d8e7.jpg

but... but... if you look at him from behind it is the other way!!!! :P  Hmmm civil war... wonder what First Centurion is up to these days. 

3 hours ago, Ecclesiastes said:

Kaliphlin has been at peace too long.  The Desert King has been minding his own business.

Extra pedantic question: should left flags (4495a) 4495a.t1.png only be used on the left and right (4495b) 4495b.t1.png on the right? \s

23 hours ago, jtooker said:

Extra pedantic question: should left flags (4495a) 4495a.t1.png only be used on the left and right (4495b) 4495b.t1.png on the right? \s

The unwritten rules on right vs. left flags?  *huh*

My life cannot handle this level of complication... :grin:

On 6/25/2021 at 5:47 PM, jtooker said:

It’s actually the opposite: left flags on the right, and right flags on the left. Otherwise you get kicked out of the guild and sent to Avalonia, where your penance will be to hug every tree in the Enchanted Forest. 

On 6/24/2021 at 10:17 PM, SkaForHire said:

Great build! Great to see you back!

Great to see you back too! :pir-sweet:

Ok, I have a question was going to paint a horse cart purple for a gift, but dont know what proportion of red and blue to use?:innocent2:
Which color is to be used more, I mean more important? :innocent:

Blue is more important. :dsad2:  No really, it actually is the more important Kali color (IMHO) because we share red with Nocty.

Also I think if you really were trying to make purple you probably should put more blue in than red. :laugh:

Ok, blue it is.  :thumbup:
I think sharing a color with Nocturnus is part of their plan to start the color civil war, once Kaliphlin is weaken they can reclaim their status as open Guild.
Evil and genius at the same time. The perfect plan. No one could see it coming. :laugh::poke::devil:

On 6/25/2021 at 4:47 PM, jtooker said:

Kaliphlin has been at peace too long.  The Desert King has been minding his own business.

I am ashamed to say, I didn't even know that there were two molds. 

4 hours ago, Gideon said:

Great to see you back too! :pir-sweet:

Well, I have been here in spirit and lurked a bit.   Waiting for the day I can build my shack in the backyard and finally unpack my lego collection because we don't have any room in the interior of our house.  But shacks are expensive, at least ones with insulation, windows, and AC to keep out the Texas heat.  :)   I have a lot of ideas I want to build that have been stacking up for some time. 

Those of you with towns/cities, did you make a post for the city itself and if so, do you keep it up to date (other than the HSS)?

I'm planning to do this with my town, Batuhan.  I've got a draft on my blog: https://lego.jtooker.com/batuhan/ and I'll keep this one up to date and was just curious if I should make a post here (otherwise I'll probably just put it as a reply to this thread).  Also, feel free to read through the draft and let me know if you have any critiques or corrections.

Just the HSS for me--but I was never too into the city-building thing, so even my HSS only has like two MOCs. :laugh:

There is a GoH wiki which probably has some of the cities like Barqa but I'm going to guess that it's not up-to-date!

15 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

There is a GoH wiki which probably has some of the cities like Barqa but I'm going to guess that it's not up-to-date!

You are correct - but I plan to add my town there too.  MOCs for the town are not coming too quickly (I noticed I started the map over a year ago).

I've finally got enough MOCs together to 'officially' put the town of Batuhan on the map.  Here is a link to its HSS post and I'll add it to the wiki sometime soon.  The town is located north of Barqa and east of Eastgate south of the Wither Woods.

Batuhan

Batuhan is a growing settlement south of the Wither Woods in northern Kaliphlin along the crossroads of major trade routes.

Batuhan Batuhan

History

While farmers south of the Wither Woods have always scraped by, recent improvements to the climate accompanied by an increase in trade through this region have given rise to a proper town at the crossroads of the Woodbrow Road and the Wester Road. This town is called Batuhan. It is located 40 miles west of Eastgate and 50 miles north of Barqa.

Ahesh Ahesh

Ahesh, who fought in the Battle of the Wither Woods, lead the town to prosperity after the battle claimed many of its citizens’ lives.

Aarash the Ardent Aarash the Ardent

Over the years after the battle, the influence and protection of Eastgate diminished. Batuhan was left to defend itself and the trade route itself. Ahesh took on this challenge and created the Guard of Batuhan. A dragon was chosen to adorned the shields in honor of the dragon that changed Ahesh’s fortune. Aarash grew into a young man and a capable captain before taking over as the Emir of Batuhan for his late father.

Geography

Rough, but plowable terrain surrounds Batuhan with many farms to the immediate south and a few to the north. Principally, the Woodbrow Road cuts through the smoother parts of the terrain.

Map of the Wither Woods (click to enlarge) Map of the Wither Woods (click to enlarge)

The Wither Woods to the North border the town and the main trade road. They are quite unhospitable to civilized folk.

The Barlas river feeds into a small lake with the same name. This creates a natural eastern barrier to the town, along with the rising terrain from which the river flows.

Further away, the port city of Eastgate lies to the west. The Westersands exist past the farmland, further to south and east. Even further south is the city of Barqa.

Military

Ignored by the Desert King in Petraea, Batuhan has had to form its own guard to protect its citizens and merchants passing through. Since the Battle of Historica, the only constant threat has been from bandits and other evil creatures in the Wither Woods.

Great Wall of Batuhan Great Wall of Batuhan

The Great Wall of Batuhan was raised to aid in this defense using the newly created Buğra Quarry. This guard and military wall have not escaped notice from Petraea, but in this time of peace, the Desert King has been content with Batuhan’s guard. It directly increases the trade that is so valuable to Kaliphlin and the wall would serve as a convenient defense against Avalonia, should the need ever arise.

Economy

Trade has been largely responsible for the grown of this settlement. It has attracted immigrants, which are the primary source of population growth. With the protection Batuhan provides to merchants, a tax is received.

Stables near Batuhan Stables near Batuhan

Farms to the south, also under the protection of the Batuhan Guard, provide food and textiles for the town’s inhabitants.

Buğra Quarry northeast of Batuhan Buğra Quarry northeast of Batuhan

The wall and many of the fortified buildings are only possible due to the Buğra Quarry located through the Wither Woods along the Wester Road.

The fortune of prosperity has given rise to Batuhan, but the wise know this is only fleeting. Merchants will not be so willing to hand over their gold if they become threatened on the road as they were before. Townsfolk may become rebellious if the farms fail to produce enough food. Farmers may be less tolerant of the new cultures if their livelihood is threatened. And those in power will find well-supported competition should any trouble arise.

Inhabitants

The inhabitants of Batuhan are mainly immigrants. The time of peace and trade has brought many peoples to settle down here. Being so close to the sea and on a major trade route to Avalonia, many people have come from Varlyrio.

Dwarves have come from as far as Nocturnus to work in the quarry and craft stone in town.

Many of the Kaliphlinian farmers have accepted the cultural shifts, or at least tolerate them in town in exchange for their business.

Lizardfolk and other outlaws occupy the Wither Woods and are a constant threat to peace.

21 hours ago, jtooker said:

I've finally got enough MOCs together to 'officially' put the town of Batuhan on the map.

Awesome, looking forward to seeing more of the town!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90467840@N08/52312843672/in/dateposted-public/

Introducing Trevidor of Kaliphlin, keeper of the forge and seeker of the runes!

Trevidor was raised on an island off the coast of the Kaliphlin mainland, a settlement of far-eastern cultures derived from the likes of Japan and Thailand. He resides in the manor of a wealthy bureaucrat and friend of his parents, and while his mother still lives, his father disappeared after discovering the Arch Rune of Fire and pursuing more knowledge beyond the shore. Trevidor currently splits his time between the forges of the estate and the libraries of the manor, searching for knowledge of the runes and any evidence that may explain the disappearance of his father.

Welcome to the greatest guild!  Looking forward to seeing your adventures unfold.

PS. You can embed your photos into your post by using the BBCode which you can find under the "Share Photo" option on Flickr.  The code should look like this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nGGZSy][img=https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52312843672_c8f83b4787.jpg][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2nGGZSy]Trevidor of Kaliphlin[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/90467840@N08/]Dragondiamond[/url], on Flickr

On 8/27/2022 at 12:01 AM, Trevidor said:

52312843672_2eef20bfd5_k.jpg

Introducing Trevidor of Kaliphlin, keeper of the forge and seeker of the runes!

Trevidor was raised on an island off the coast of the Kaliphlin mainland, a settlement of far-eastern cultures derived from the likes of Japan and Thailand. He resides in the manor of a wealthy bureaucrat and friend of his parents, and while his mother still lives, his father disappeared after discovering the Arch Rune of Fire and pursuing more knowledge beyond the shore. Trevidor currently splits his time between the forges of the estate and the libraries of the manor, searching for knowledge of the runes and any evidence that may explain the disappearance of his father.

Welcome!  Great story, nice fig, and I'm interested to see some of your builds and where Trevidor's story goes!

Kalim Bloodhoof is a Bounty Hunter from the Siccus wasteland, as a young colt made a name for himself as a dominant hunter within his herd and eventually made his way to Petraea where he became a formidable bounty hunter and eventual mercenary.

Hi guys i'm very new to the world of online forums but really big into lego. This looked like a great opportunity to explore some cool avenues of building.

thumbnail.jpg

As many other people I've spent some time playing with AI tools the past year, and recently I tried Midjourney.
The limitations is starting to become more on the human side (inspiration and especially my still meager skills in prompt crafting), but Kaliphlin concepts are always at the back of my head so I've dabbled a bit with those concepts now :classic:
So here are some of the GoH related inspiration photos I've generated in recent days. Maybe it can inspire some of you too, for sure it's given me tons of inspiration!
This probably borders on off-topic, but it's at least supposed to be inspiration for new Kaliphlin builds! And this thread needs some more life :classic:

A generic Kaliphlin fortress, layers upon layers of history with new fortifications built on top of the ruins of old fortifications:
(Similar thoughts as I had behind Sultans Gate: Main Gate)

Jonas_W_city_walls_of_a_medieval_middle-

Some generic Kaliphlin city scenes (could be a wider shot of Streets of Barqa?)

Jonas_W_a_medieval_middle-eastern_walled

Jonas_W_medieval_middle_eastern_walled_c

Jonas_W_medieval_middle_eastern_walled_c

Typical Arkbri landscape, with ancient irrigation canals distributing some of the mighty Arkbri river's water to feed the agriculture of one of Kaliphlin's most important bread baskets (Arkbri Irrigation):

Jonas_W_medieval_agriculture_in_the_Nile

Jonas_W_medieval_farming_in_the_Nile_del

Barqa is famous in all of Historica for it's high quality glassware (Glass Workshop in Barqa)

Jonas_W_medieval_Persian_glass_workshop_

Jonas_W_medieval_Persian_glassware_in_workshop_ultra_details_ph_b2086ed3-d401-4a7d-870c-c16da59dba8a.png

A scene from the Kaliphlin civil war? (similar to Kaliphlin Desert Cavalry in Action ?)

Jonas_W_cavalry_charge_against_a_large_g

And last but not least...there seems to be huge potential to generate your own insignia etc (if one learns how to wrestle with the AI to produce the desired result)
Jonas_W_red_and_dark_blue_per_pale_shiel

(Sorry for the spam, I can remove these or move it to a separate post if this is too off topic or too large images for these threads)