Kai NRG

Book III - Kaliphlin: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Thanks @jtooker ! Hmm, well as his last Post is 4 years old I don't think He is still active there, If the Leadership ist okay with it I'd "Take" the city.

Edited by Legonaut

I'm happy to present you Oronér, his name is made out of two words from the old Elven tongue Tolkien created - Quenya. Oron means Mountain and Nér means Man, so his translated name is Montainman. This is not a coincidance but a hint to his origin. In fact he is one of the old Elves from the Rakath Mountains, they had a small city in a hidden valley but the darkness of Nocturnus spread in the mountain range even to the valley. It weakened the elves, so they abandoned it and spread into all edges of historica.

More to read in the Entry thread, happy to join!

49992125146_b992c7342d_z.jpg

GoH Entry - Through the Desert by Lego Naut

Welcome!  Look forward to the first story about Oronér!  Nice little vignette that you have there!  I like the muted color scheme with a splash of color from the flowers!

Welcome to Kaliphlin @Legonaut!  I like the way you've sandwiched those square stones into the sand!

As for Ras-el-Akhen, I believe that is specifically @Kayne's city, so if you'd like to "take it over" you would have to ask him (and it's possible he won't respond, it's been a while since he's last been active).  But, as with all Kaliphlin cities, you are welcome to build in it occasionally.  You are also more than welcome to plant your own city anywhere in the guild.  I don't believe our cartographer gives the map overhauls very frequently but you might make it on there eventually... or maybe, when an update is long long overdue, I'll see if I can get a hold of the files! :look:

Thank you two!

Well propably I'm gonna start a village in the Rakath Mountains but the delta in the region of Ras-El-Akhen is interesting too. For the Rakath Mountains, where exactly are there the boarders to the other Guilds? I don't want to build deep in the Mountain Range but it would be good to know where Kalis realm ends.

Yeah, I've been inactive too long!  But you are welcome to the city.  Hopefully at some point I'll return to Kaliphlin, but life is too busy lately!

2 hours ago, Legonaut said:

Thank you two!

Well propably I'm gonna start a village in the Rakath Mountains but the delta in the region of Ras-El-Akhen is interesting too. For the Rakath Mountains, where exactly are there the boarders to the other Guilds? I don't want to build deep in the Mountain Range but it would be good to know where Kalis realm ends.

The borders are poorly defined, and if you look at the old Book I and Book II maps, the borders shift due to inaccuracies in drawing of the maps, so I don't think you'll have much trouble.  The guilds are pretty fast and loose with things, leaving a lot up to the players, which I appreciate. 

1 hour ago, Grover said:

The borders are poorly defined, and if you look at the old Book I and Book II maps, the borders shift due to inaccuracies in drawing of the maps, so I don't think you'll have much trouble.  The guilds are pretty fast and loose with things, leaving a lot up to the players, which I appreciate. 

Exactly... stake out some extra border territory for Kaliphlin if you like! :tongue:  I think though, if you were to take Sultan's Gate and draw a line at about 33 degrees toward the right (so a little below that volcano) you'd be striking the border between Kali and Nocty fairly well.

Welcome dude, glad I could lure you in :laugh:

11 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Exactly... stake out some extra border territory for Kaliphlin if you like!

Like all old maps, there is a great deal of ambiguity about borders. No official survey teams have been sent out to precisely mark the limits of territory, and quite frankly, with all the unrest in Nocty, they’re vulnerable for a stronger southern or northern lord to scoop up some lands on the sly. You know, plow a few extra acres each year, or extend the wall a bit further than is justified by the land grant, or whatever. Heck, maybe Mitgardia and Kaliphlin should just conspire together to take over Nocty and split it 50-50. 

Hey! New to Eurobricks and returning to LEGO, having fun so far. Only have limited access to the collection right now, but did a little piece that I feel works nicely. My character is named Keira of Old Noct, a Nocturnan born monster hunter who has grown fond of Kaliphlin and its people in her travel. The strife in Nocturnus has seen many refugees leave to Kaliphlin, a major group travelling to the Wither Woods to find safety and Keira has accompanied them. Picture of her will be posted later! :) 

12 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Exactly... stake out some extra border territory for Kaliphlin if you like!

I have more plans for the Wither Woods area - mostly the southern end, but I'll be reaching north a bit.  I'll be posting in the HSS thread later this month when I get another MOC or two done.  I created a new map of the area that I will share too.

@BadgersinMeadows, welcome!  I'm just getting started (along with @Legonaut).  As I said above, I've been planning a community south of the Wither Woods partially populated by immigrants since the Battle of Historica (end of book II).  We could develop this area together if you'd like.

Just now, BadgersinMeadows said:

@jtooker Would you also want to collaborate on the Summer Joust a day in the life category?

Yes I would.

4 hours ago, BadgersinMeadows said:

Hey! New to Eurobricks and returning to LEGO, having fun so far.

Welcome to Eurobricks and Kaliphlin!  It's great to see all these new faces! 

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

Welcome to Eurobricks and Kaliphlin!  It's great to see all these new faces! 

Maybe Kali can climb Up on the Gold ladder with more and more builders!

I also want to Note that the First chapter of my Characters Story will Take some more time as I'm working on a large scale Story with numerous Characters. At the moment I'm making a big Mindmap with their Relations etc. without having started to write. I also want to Note that altough Covid-19 is still a Thing it is Summer and till September I Most likely won't build a lot but we'll See.

Edited by Legonaut

These are my thoughts/plans for the Wither Woods area.

'My' city/settlement will be called Batuhan.  I've started a settlement post. It is located on the southern edge of the Wither Woods at the crossroads of the main N/S road (I've called "Wester Road") linking Avalonia to Barqa and the road going east from Eastgate (I've called Woodbrow Road).  @SkaForHire, I know you referenced the "Oil Road" around Eastgate.  I wasn't sure if the oil road turned north at Barqa or not.  If any of the roads in the map below are the Oil Road, let me know and I'll update the labels.  2021-07-29 Update: According to this wiki page, the Oil Road stops at Barqa; I've named the road going north through the Wither Woods "Wester Road" and it also goes south from Batuhan to Barqa.

BookIII_WitherWoods_360px.png (zoom in)

The Batuhan settlement has grown recently with the post-war prosperity and recent improvement to the climate; the woods are slowly taking back some of what the desert taken.  Many immigrants have arrived to work the land, be lumberjacks or work in the Buğra quarry.  Aarash (not Rhalyf, my sigfig) is in charge of the settlement and has erected a defensive wall to keep Batuhan and the Woodbrow Road safe from bandits and outlaws the live in the treacherous Wither Woods.  The Desert King has neglected this region since capturing Eastgate and not providing safety for this end of Kaliphlin nor has Queen Ylspeth provided any assistance, leaving a power vacuum.  In ensuring residents' travelers' safely, Aarash has become quite popular and residents are happy to pay taxes and donate their sons for this protection.

The culture in Batuhan is well mixed.  While traditionally a balance between Kaliphlinian and Avalonian, many immigrants have arrived from Varlyrio and some from Nocturnus making this a fast growing and diverse area.

Comments and recommendations are appreciated.  @BadgersinMeadows, does this sort of lore fit into your ideas for Keira?  I'm fine with anyone building (both MOCs and lore) for the area in and around Batuhan.  While I'd prefer to keep somewhat close to the themes I outlined above, I'm flexible and open to discussion.  That defensive wall will be part of a large, ongoing MOC of mine, so that is the only part I do not want to change.

Edited by jtooker
Updated information on Batuhan

Sounds to me like a great place for your city.  Looking forward to seeing it come to life!

m4aiEU4m.jpg

Keira of Old Day, monster hunter Kaliphlin. A figure well travelled, her garb is strange for Kaliphlin and seems more suited for a Mitgardian, but Keira is a strange figure.  Old folks gossiping to one another have said they saw her when they were children and that she has not aged a day. Even more strangely, obscure archives mention a figure wandering the Badlands with brown hair and an angry scar on her cheek and the same sword carried by the monster hunter. These claims notwithstanding, Keira's abilities in swordsmanship are formidable indeed, supplemented by the seemingly ordinary sword's sharpness that can pierce thick hides and plate armour with ease, and those who use her services to remove troublesome monsters or worse find themselves having made a good choice. In the smaller villages and tribes of Kaliphlin, she is known as one who protects the innocents for no cost and has earned her cognomen as she is one of the rare figures of the world that follows ancient values of honour and kindness. Kindness in a world as troubled as Historica is nothing without strength to consolidate it, and Keira of Old Day is far from lacking in that aspect. 

In recent times, fate has had her aiding refugees fleeing Nocturnus and guiding them across the Rakath mountains and the Badlands, doing all she can to protect a large group of them to the Wither Woods, and maybe even freedom. 

@jtooker Sounds good. I had seen the Nocturnan party as wanting to be near a river, so the positioning is fine. 

Edited by BadgersinMeadows

On 6/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, jtooker said:

These are my thoughts/plans for the Wither Woods area.  Once I get some MOCs, I'll make a settlement post which will have some of this information and the MOCs themselves will provide details.

'My' city/settlement will be called Batuhan.   It is located on the southern edge of the Wither Woods at the crossroads of the main N/S road (I've called "Wester Road") linking Avalonia to Barqa and the road going east from Eastgate (I've called Woodbrow Road).  @SkaForHire, I know you referenced the "Oil Road" around Eastgate.  I wasn't sure if the oil road turned north at Barqa or not.  If any of the roads in the map below are the Oil Road, let me know and I'll update the labels.

BookIII_WitherWoods_360px.png (zoo

It turns out that in medieval times, roads often had many names :)  I think this was the Oil Road, but I am sure travelers have different names for it!