Henjin_Quilones

Book III - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Just now, dalle said:

Thanks!

The torso is King Theoden (973pb1181c01).

Oh wow, that's such a classical one, why couldn't I recognise it? :wink: Thanks!

Great to have zilmrud and dalle here! most welcome to our mighty guild! 

Great moc titus in your sigfig presentation! :)

3 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Great to have zilmrud and dalle here! most welcome to our mighty guild! 

Thanks de Gothia! I humbly bow to you my fellow Avalonian

Welcome Zilmrud and Dalle!! You have chosen wisely. Avalonia for the Win!!

Julian Arfelan, count of Arfelan, is a 30 year old noble that has lived interesting times in Avalonia, although Arfelan territory is mostly composed of plains, it also has some mountain fortress south of Benoic and an access to the forests on the West through the elven pass. Its capital is Alantie, center of everything that occurs on the plains. Arfelan has recovered from the late conflicts and aims to be a power to be reckoned on the region, they have good relations with  mostly all their Avalonian neighbors and trades agreements with Kaliphlin, Nocturnus and Varlyrio, yet Mitgardians are not that well received due to past mischief. Their cavalry is second to none, and their Integrum serve as magistrates bringing justice to the people.

julian__arfelan_resized.jpg
Count Julian Arfelan.

img_9067.jpg
Alantie, capital of Arfelan.

Working already on tasks 1-4 and very excited for this book. :excited:

Great to see you back, Niku! That's a pretty impressive capital gate :thumbup: 

Welcome everyone, great figs all round. Nice build there niku, loving the horses. 

I'd best get cracking on the first challenge. 

1 hour ago, Gideon said:

@dalle Welcome to the Guilds! Great to see you back building medieval Lego again :classic:

Yes! It will be nice to use all my LBG again! :tongue:

Auron of Osgard formally pledges his allegience to Avalonia.  His backstory (including the story of what happend to Osric) will come soon.

30244022568_e5058e1da9.jpg

Also, I was working on a few figs, and wanted to ask if anyone found this particular helmet (posted in the spoiler) convincing as a medieval helmet.  I think it roughly resembles a helmet that I thought was called the Hounskull Bascinet, but after having looked up pictures of that helmet, I think it must be called something else.  Anyone, let me know what you guys think.  Thanks!

Spoiler

44063213652_1a582f76de.jpg

I think it looks like a good medieval helmet. Of course, I'm using aviator's helmets as spangenhelms, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Welcome back Milo!

Really cool face on your sigfig (even with it being fleshie)!

I'm not completely sold on the helmet, to be honest. It could work, but I think its not ideal.

Hi guys!

Here's a newbie question:

I'm building up my story about my city/castle before I start building. Is the border to Mitgardia occupied with cities/villages/towns/castles? I googled maps of Avalonia and found a bunch of them. Is there space for my city/castle at the mountain foots?

This is a map from book II I found:

https://goo.gl/images/2pTyYY

Edited by Zilmrud

@MiloNelsiano, nice looking fig and welcome back into the guild you never left! I like the helmet, actually, especially if you have a bunch of them and outfit a squad or two with them. There is really no reason why particular helmets should be outlawed here, unless they are too obviously sci-fi in styling. But in a fantasy setting like ours, a helmet in all black without any buttons or levers or hoses is fine by me. 

@Zilmrud That is a good question, not a newbie question. At one point, the time period of the map you showed, we Avalonians claimed a chunk of land delineated by strict outlines. In those days, the whole stretch of land along the border with Mitgardia was claimed, and you would not be able to place a settlement there without the permission of one of those builders. Those days are gone. Most of those builders are also probably gone. The only map you need to concern yourself with is the one in the first post of this very thread, which is up-to-date with the only officially claimed settlements, as built for Task 4 (also in the first post). Thus, with the exception of the coast near Mitgardia, where Osgard, the capital of Oros, is situated, the whole thing is able to be settled. Pick a spot and start building, and once you meet the minimum requirement for a hamlet, you can claim a particular location to be your personal settlement. In the new system, there is plenty of room all over the map to fit just about anything someone could want, because your city could be close to another person's city without there being any issues (especially near the border with Mitgardia, where there are valleys and mountainous ridges left and right separating everything). I hope that helps. 

@Niku, great to have you back!

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

11 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

@Zilmrud That is a good question, not a newbie question. At one point.....

Thanks for the fast answer. Now to question nr 2:

Can I build a castle/Town in micro scale when I introduce it and then do the  tasks builds to get it officially claimed efter that? I think that will take a while to build (have 2 kids at home ;) )

3 minutes ago, Zilmrud said:

Thanks for the fast answer. Now to question nr 2:

Can I build a castle/Town in micro scale when I introduce it and then do the  tasks builds to get it officially claimed efter that? I think that will take a while to build (have 2 kids at home ;) )

My own plan is to build my entire settlement in a single microscale build, and then build the different sections in minifig scale to meet the requirements of Task 4. It seems like that is your plan, too, so it sounds good to me! As far as it being officially claimed, you do need to meet the minimum requirements of a hamlet first (in minifig scale), but once you have done that (it is five particular builds, like agriculture, military, and three others) your settlement will be on the map wherever you want it to be, and you can add the rest to level it up to a city (if you want to) as slowly as you please. 

I also have two kids at home, with a third on the way, so I understand the slow pace!

1 minute ago, Ailhbe said:

@Zilmrud That's a really cool idea. Can I steal/borrow it? 

Of course you can! I encourage everyone to build the settlement in microscale first (or last, either way) to give an overall sense of scale and placement. You could also re-build it later if you make significant additions like a new castle, or something, since micro takes fewer pieces. My own is just about finished, actually. 

@Henjin_Quilones Great! I've got the base for the build ready and the story in a draft in Swedish (have to rewrite it in english). 

@Ailhbe why not. But don't take my spot ;)

I'll like the idea that you can show the city/castle and the idea of it without building for months. And build scenes from the inside in minifig scale

8 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Of course you can! I encourage everyone to build the settlement in microscale first (or last, either way) to give an overall sense of scale and placement. You could also re-build it later if you make significant additions like a new castle, or something, since micro takes fewer pieces. My own is just about finished, actually. 

Seeing forward to see it!

Great fig milo, ignore Titus fleshies are the best. I think the helmet would work better for nocturnus but that's my own opinion. Shame most medieval helmets are so expensive now. 

1 hour ago, cablefoxley said:

Great fig milo, ignore Titus fleshies are the best. I think the helmet would work better for nocturnus but that's my own opinion. Shame most medieval helmets are so expensive now. 

Thanks! I know fleshier are the best. You’ll  have to excuse Titus, he’s been a little confused—going as far as saying he would almost like to join Mitgardia! I didn’t mean for the helmet to be Avalonian—I was actually designing an antagonist, maybe he is from Nocturnus, not sure yet. 

The helmet looks medieval enough to me - in fact, i think it's pretty cool!  Where's it from?

It’s a Star Wars helmet, although I can’t be any more specific than that. I think i probably got it in the 2017 Star Wars Advent calendar, although I really don’t remember for certain anymore. 

Edit: Yes, I was right. It’s from this guy here:

https://brickset.com/minifigs/name-Imperial-Ground-Crew

Edited by MiloNelsiano