Henjin_Quilones

Book III - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

1 hour ago, CedricWoodgard said:

My mistake Henjin, could I border west of Osgard near the inlet of that river?

Yes, that should work. If someone else tries to claim it, well, it is whoever gets a settlement established in the HSS first that gets their settlement on the map. 

I edited up the map with some really ugly bright colors with a few arrows pointing to various locations.  The red is where Prenmôr (my settlement) will be once I get all the HSS requirements finished.  The blue arrow is the northwest corner of the mainland, although there are large isles (the Mysic Isles) west of that, the large island that houses the Enchanted forest west of that, and the (as of yet reserved and unplayable) Devine Isle at the western extreme.  That's not to say that there aren't regions that are uncharted on there or islands that are not on the map, so it's pretty flexible.  If, however, you meant the northeastern side, then yes, Osgard is there as HQ notes, and it's actually one of the few cities that's on the map already.  I marked this location, too, for clarity to see what you wanted to do.  Varlyria, one of the regions of Historica is (ostensibly at this point) off the western edge of the map, so it's feasible that Direhold does a lot of trade with them, and you could even decide to place the city on the western coast down near Kaliphlin and a couple of the other cities down that way.  Really up to you how you want to tell the story.  Looking forward to seeing your builds!

dB1OsVJ.jpg

Welcome to our new members of our mighty guild!

I´ve been away for some time now. Mostly because of work but I´ve also moved all my lego from a small attic to a bit larger basement! Love the new place for me! I´ve ha huge castle ready but I have to take some pics of it. I also have some mocs ready but they have to be edited first. 

Take care!

I was thinking, if possible, to be between the green and blue arrow to place Direhold at the inlet of that river if that works, working on the microscale build for the castle ATM. I have edited the map with a proposed location for Direhold.

48110893172_177e9c4507_b.jpg

Edited by CedricWoodgard

3 hours ago, CedricWoodgard said:

I was thinking, if possible, to be between the green and blue arrow to place Direhold at the inlet of that river if that works, working on the micro scale build for the castle ATM. I have edited the map with a proposed location for Direhold, let me know if that works, I am unable to post the image as it says the size is too large.  it is on my Flickr page if that helps.

Use the BBCode option from Flickr to share the pictures (using the curving arrow at the bottom right of the picture). Just copy and paste the link from the box into your post here, and voila! it appears. 

Alright thanks, looks like it is up now.  My proposed location for Direhold is marked with the yellow diamond.

Edited by CedricWoodgard

18 hours ago, Zilmrud said:

Doctorate of Historica sounds awesome. Is it still active? I would love to do some of that.

As far as I know it is, although few people have gone after it for a while.  I was planning on starting a post for myself on there once I get enough builds for HSS.

Hi everyone,

Do any of you have advice on naming characters? I have constructed several, and I'm trying to figure out names for them. I know there are a lot of name generators online, but I was wondering if any of you use those or instead come up with them off the tops of your heads. If if you do use them, which ones? If you come up with them on the spot, what techniques do you use?

Edited by socalbricks

I just make them up and try to make the name sound like the race, so dwarves names with more consonants, elven  names with more vowels, etc.  human names are all over the place.  The only thing is if you want a specific meaning you have to do some research.  Elven is a real language Tolkien made up and a society called the Grey Company maintains an online dictionary, so if you want an elf named “southern star” or something, you can actually look up those words.  That only really works for elvish though.

Edited by Grover

33 minutes ago, Grover said:

I just make them up and try to make the name sound like the race, so dwarves names with more consonants, woven names with more vowels, etc.  human names are all over the place.  The only thing is if you want a specific meaning you have to do some research.  Elven is a real language Tolkien made up and a society called the Grey Company maintains an online dictionary, so if you want an elf named “southern star” or something, you can actually look up those words.  That only really works for elvish though.

Got it! Thanks!

Edited by socalbricks

I’ve noticed some of you feature Legends of Chima minifigure parts in some of your builds...are these a specific race in the lore of GoH and if so what is it? Thanks!

17 minutes ago, CedricWoodgard said:

I’ve noticed some of you feature Legends of Chima minifigure parts in some of your builds...are these a specific race in the lore of GoH and if so what is it? Thanks!

It depends. The cat races generally get lumped under "lionell" or generically "catfolk", though different builders have coined different terms as needed (I used "aelfcats" for one build). There are pockets of catfolk all over, but I would say that the largest concentration tends to be in Kaliphlin (the natural habitat for lions and other big cats, I suppose), though there seems to be a healthy population in Varlyrio, too. The ravens have been used before, too, but mostly in Nocturnus. Crocs get used here and there, often as Nocturnian lizard folk, and eagles appear every now and then. Lord Raavage, an uber-bad guy of the past, used some Chima parts, too. There are no hard and fast rules, though. So if you want to use them, do so! If you want to imply that they are part of a larger race, do so! There is room for as many cat folk species, and lizard folk species, and bird folk species, and whatnot, in Historica as the builders want to include. 

I'm currently writing backstories for characters (one of whom is a centaur). Does anyone know if there are any ares of Historica where centaurs can be found? I checked the Wiki, which listed Kaliphlin as a notable area. Are they located anywhere else throughout Historica? Just curious.

1 hour ago, socalbricks said:

I'm currently writing backstories for characters (one of whom is a centaur). Does anyone know if there are any ares of Historica where centaurs can be found? I checked the Wiki, which listed Kaliphlin as a notable area. Are they located anywhere else throughout Historica? Just curious.

I am certain there are centaurs in the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia. I imagine there are bands of centaurs roaming all of the guilds, honestly, though perhaps they have established the peak of their civilization in Kaliphlin or Avalonia. I used some in my story for Mwamba, a large equatorial island far to the west of Historica, though that is not Historica proper. 

The Wiki is hopelessly out of date, I am afraid. I am not sure it has been updated hardly at all for at least three or four years. 

2 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I am certain there are centaurs in the Enchanted Forest of Avalonia. I imagine there are bands of centaurs roaming all of the guilds, honestly, though perhaps they have established the peak of their civilization in Kaliphlin or Avalonia. I used some in my story for Mwamba, a large equatorial island far to the west of Historica, though that is not Historica proper. 

The Wiki is hopelessly out of date, I am afraid. I am not sure it has been updated hardly at all for at least three or four years. 

Thanks for the info! Great work on Mwamba, by the way! Also, are there any known regions of Avalonia that can harbor vineyards? I assume they would be further south within the more temperate regions of the guild.

Edited by socalbricks

30 minutes ago, socalbricks said:

Thanks for the info! Great work on Mwamba, by the way! Also, are there any known regions of Avalonia that can harbor vineyards? I assume they would be further south within the more temperate regions of the guild.

There will be some vineyards if you make them!  The GoH are pretty fast and loose, so make it up!

Just now, Grover said:

There will be some vineyards if you make them!  The GoH are pretty fast and loose, so make it up!

Thanks! Will do!

One of the great aspects of the guilds in my opinion, is that we are so flexible.  Some of the games on here are strict with regard to geography or rules.  We have a few rules, but they’re usually not structurally organized (stuff like the DeVine isle being reserved for future use and thus off limits to build in, much as Varlyrio once was).  Otherwise, if you want a cherry tree high in the snowy mountains of Mitgardia, then go for it and use your story and build to show why it should be there.

As for centaurs, they are traditionally found in temperate forests according to legend, so The forests of Avalonia make sense.  Not to say the pine forests of Mitgardia or the strange trees in Nocturnus couldn’t house centaurs, maybe even a different subrace.  Varlyrio could hold some as well.  Maybe Kaliphlin has some that are more like camels?  Who knows.  People here are very creative and I think you’ll find that people are receptive to new ideas and creativity.  We have a good group of builders here and get a lot of great feedback.

1 hour ago, Grover said:

One of the great aspects of the guilds in my opinion, is that we are so flexible.  Some of the games on here are strict with regard to geography or rules.  We have a few rules, but they’re usually not structurally organized (stuff like the DeVine isle being reserved for future use and thus off limits to build in, much as Varlyrio once was).  Otherwise, if you want a cherry tree high in the snowy mountains of Mitgardia, then go for it and use your story and build to show why it should be there.

As for centaurs, they are traditionally found in temperate forests according to legend, so The forests of Avalonia make sense.  Not to say the pine forests of Mitgardia or the strange trees in Nocturnus couldn’t house centaurs, maybe even a different subrace.  Varlyrio could hold some as well.  Maybe Kaliphlin has some that are more like camels?  Who knows.  People here are very creative and I think you’ll find that people are receptive to new ideas and creativity.  We have a good group of builders here and get a lot of great feedback.

Thank you! I appreciate the aforementioned freedom of this system!

21 hours ago, Grover said:

Maybe Kaliphlin has some that are more like camels?

Okay, that definitely needs to be a thing :laugh: The humpback centaurs of Kaliphlin...

3 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Okay, that definitely needs to be a thing :laugh: The humpback centaurs of Kaliphlin...

Do I smell a Kaliphlin mini challenge? Lol

On 6/22/2019 at 4:28 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

There is already a bustling center of trade there near the Mitgardian border on the sea, called Osgard (check the map in the first post).

This is appreciated, thanks!

My fellow Avalonians and Historicans, just wanted to give a quick update since I haven’t been around in a few months.  I’ve been working on a larger build for quite a while now, but every time I sit down to build, I first have to deal with this. (hopefully that link works, I’m on my iPad and bbc code didn’t seem to want to work for me). Basically, my son is trying more and more to build with my stuff. I love seeing his creativity, and I really don’t want to be a Lord Business kind of dad, but that does make it harder to actively build here, since anytime I want to do something I need to clear away his stuff first. Sometime soon I think I will clear everything up and abandon  the idea of a larger build like this, and stick to smaller things I can put away on shelves. However, we’re expecting our next son at the end of the month, so I really have no idea when I will have time to do this. Anyway, just wanted to say I haven’t disappeared completely!

Good to hear from you again, and congratulations on the upcoming new family member!  I think you’re doing the right thing to foster your sons creativity.  And hey, why would you not want the peasants to be able to play basketball!

Lord Valan of Greenwood Deep:

48348581851_6e8b860c25_b.jpg

Hailing from one of the many shadowy swamp villages in Nocturnus, he left his home after it was devastated by the civil war. He took refuge in a small human mining town near the Rakath Range, and found himself fighting for it's defense when the Civil War finally found it, though it was all for not. Ravage's forces killed most of the population and claimed the mines for the war effort. With nothing left to fight for, and seeing that war in the east may never end, he took his talents west, working as a mercenary in the deserts of Kaliphlin. Eventually he found himself in Avalonia, as he ended up rescuing a high ranking Lord's daughter from a group of errant knights. 

Pleased with his service, the Lord rewarded him with a small fortune and a claim of land in the fringes of the southwestern forests of Avalonia. From this he established a small castle, Greenwood Deep and soon the small village of Greenwood took hold nearby. After seeing so much loss and devastation due to the ambitions of less than honorable folk, he simply wishes to live the rest of his days in peace. However if need be, he has no hesitation or reservations about donning his heavy chain mail and shield, and wielding his short war hammer in battle once again for the defense of those who need it.