Henjin_Quilones

Book III - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Just now, Henjin_Quilones said:

The bracket with the live contenders on it: 

46335796205_f4e7d188da_c.jpg

For this round, we can decide between:

@Faladrin (Lady Walaheria of Falahuas) vs. @derEselausErgste (Sir Alan FitzAlan, Earl, Baron, etc...)

@Henjin_Quilones (Lord Cinnatus) vs. @dalle (Lady Majastina)

@Grover (Lady Penelope Brightleaf) vs. @TheLordOfBricks (Lord Halgreld of Eldford)

@en_zoo (Half-elf King and Queen) vs. @kahir88  (Sir Ardo Ungar)

Waiting to know their competition:

@The Last of Nergoue (Sir Sarrath)

@de Gothia (Lord de Gothia)

@Servertijd (Lord Wilfred Sigurd of Oxenfurt)

If I missed one, let me know.

We had some nice entries here! To determine the winner, reply in this thread with your votes in each match-up. This is for Avalonians only, so let's not see any Varlyrian hackers trying to influence anything here! All Avalonians, not just those who built something, can and should vote. Everyone in Avalonia's voice matters here. The voting is public, so that there is no secrecy and anyone can tally up the votes to see who won. If your entry loses, don't feel bad: you contributed to the kingdom nobly and will have a place among the new monarch's Council of Advisers.

Please record your vote by Friday, March 8th. You can choose the winning entries for any reason: build quality, build presentation, the accompanying story, the name of the candidate, how good looking the candidate is, anything. And you can vote for your entry if you entered. 

Questions? Comments? Concerns? Post them here, too, and I will address them as I am able. 

Get over to the Game of Thrones mini-challenge post and cast your votes! This is for ALL Avalonians, not just those who built. 

On 3/5/2019 at 11:03 PM, Grover said:

The mini challenge entries count as free builds still, right?

Yes, they do. So make sure everyone gets those posted, so we can get the guild some points!

Thanks HQ for the contest! Lovely idea but a bit sad with so few entries and so few who voted thruoghout the contest. I hope to see some more activity here in the forums, but with summer coming up I fear the opposite. 

Looking forward to a new chapter in GoH! I have four or five mocs ready, just have to edit the photos! :)

5 hours ago, de Gothia said:

Thanks HQ for the contest! Lovely idea but a bit sad with so few entries and so few who voted thruoghout the contest. I hope to see some more activity here in the forums, but with summer coming up I fear the opposite. 

You are welcome! It seems, from my almost three years here, that there are really only five or so members truly active at any one time; who those five are will change, but most of the people on the Guild member list are either already gone from the guilds, are busy with other building, or just check back in every once in a while due to the busyness of life (*cough cough* @TitusV). Sad but true! At least Avalonia has been more active of late than the other guilds, I guess, if that is a positive. 

The next challenge should help. And summer probably will bring out some more builds, as people gear up with the Summer Joust and find ways to incorporate them into the guilds, or spend time back home from school, back with their collection of bricks. But who knows? 

I look forward to seeing those MOCs!

I would say thanks to you as well, HQ.  You are doing a great job keeping things moving here despite the low turnout for most activities.  My life has moved back into its normal pace, so I'm left with about 1 hour a month to build; I've been lucky so far this year.  I can still hop on the forums here because I have access on my phone, but getting actual access to my bricks is another thing entirely.  Oh well.  I'll keep on as best I can.

Congrats @de Gothia and a big thanks to @Henjin_Quilones for organising. Also well done to all those who participated!

The sun finally shines here and Berlin turns green again, which is why I tend to go out, forgetting my bricks.. I can't blame myself, really :laugh: I'll be off my bricks for the whole of June and then again at some point in the summer, but curious to see the next challenge.

Keep it on, Avalonians! May the dragon long fly!

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

You are welcome! It seems, from my almost three years here, that there are really only five or so members truly active at any one time; who those five are will change, but most of the people on the Guild member list are either already gone from the guilds, are busy with other building, or just check back in every once in a while due to the busyness of life (*cough cough* @TitusV). Sad but true! At least Avalonia has been more active of late than the other guilds, I guess, if that is a positive. 

The next challenge should help. And summer probably will bring out some more builds, as people gear up with the Summer Joust and find ways to incorporate them into the guilds, or spend time back home from school, back with their collection of bricks. But who knows? 

I look forward to seeing those MOCs!

Why do I get the feeling someone is looking at me here? :grin: 

I try to do the be active more or less frequently (which I am not, I know), but as you say, when summer (joust) is here things should get better!

----

Even without a lot of activity, I can still congratulate our new King. Long live the dragon! :dsweet:I'm sure he'll make for a great ruler, especially with HQ's behind-the-scenes-powers to support him. Thanks for organising the contest!

@Grover, @en_zoo, and @TitusV, I'm just happy to see all of you here when you can show up! This is a supportive place, regardless of your level of activity. LEGO is a recreational hobby for most of us, after all, and it is what we do just for fun. And sometimes there are other, more important things to do, even just for fun. So go take a walk among real trees, not ABS ones (or whatever plastic the leaf parts are made of; I'm pretty sure it is not ABS, in fact)! Study for classes! Read books, or write them, watch movies, go to work, spend time with the kids. Travel to exotic lands. And don't feel guilty about it. 

Hello, i dont really Understand how to become a member ...Do i Just have to start Posting...?

Hello @Odoaker, and welcome! The first thing to do is to pick a guild (which, by you posting in the Avalonia thread, I assume you have done). The second thing to do is to post a picture (like the one in your profile picture) and the briefest of biographies for your significant figure (or sigfig), which is the minifigure that will serve as your avatar in the role-building forum of the Guilds of Historica. The biography should include the name of your sigfig, and probably something about where he/she is from, and what he/she does for a living, but it does not need to be elaborate (though it can be, if that's what you want). Posting the sigfig makes you an official member of the guild, and after that, just keep posting! Make comments on other builders' posts, post your own builds, join in conversations, or whatever suits your fancy. 

As @Henjin_Quilones has said, welcome @Odoaker!  I hope that you enjoy yourself here.  Once you post a sigfig, there are a lot of things to help give you some ideas if you would like.  First, there is the Historican Settlements, which not only gives you some ideas for builds, but once you complete the minimum requirements, puts your settlement on the map.  There's also the Avalonian tasks (the first post of this thread).  Then there's the global challenges, which should be starting again in May (look for prelude builds soon).  Then there's the doctorate of Historica, which is hosted by Kaliphilin but open to all.

Of course, as HQ says, you can do what you'd like too: freebuilds are always welcome.  Build a joust, a keep, several scenes with minimal scenery and just minis and dialogue.. whatever you want.  The guilds are a lot less structured in that sense than some of the other games on the forums here.

Congratulations @de Gothia, King of Avalonia.

I have been away for some time now. From Challange I to March I have been away from Lego and focusing on work, family and being on parental leave. But we have also moved to a bigger place, so now I have my very first Lego room! This is making it very easier to get my megablocks out and create. 

This last month I have been building for our Community builds in Swebrick ("Ruins of San Victoria" and "FabuWars"). But now after our annual show I'm very eager to start to build for GoH and Avalonia. As all of the other members of #Swedishlegomaffia :grin:

Here is a pic of some of us (#swedishlegomaffia) this last weekend:

Swedish Lego Maffia in Barqa, Historica

On 5/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, Gideon said:

Swedish builders displaying Guilds of Historica builds at Swebrick’s 10 year anniversary exhibition in Borlänge, Sweden May 4-5 2019.

#swedishlegomafia

46983656284_faa2d1aa34_c.jpg

From left @Wineyard, @dalle, @Gideon, @adde51, @Drawd, @Zilmrud & @Peter S

Photocred: @Ozp (with @Wineyard’s camera :classic:)

My GoH builds displayed at the event:

47720470902_c899b2ec30_z.jpg

47720470942_7c0e6cb1e7_z_d.jpg

Edited by Zilmrud

Hello,

My name is Cedric Woodgard and I would like to join the Guild of Avalonia.  I have created my SigFig and I have a basic idea of what I want to build.  I will feature the Realm of Wytheria, which is a kingdom in the North Western portion of Avalonia.  My capital city and home will be known as Direhold. If possible I would also like to create an Island off the coast of Wytheria known as Elgeria.  Elegeria will be the home for my Elven builds and such.  My builds will feature the common themes of good against evil, and also illustrating the relations between the different races and other kingdoms of Avalonia. Let me know if this is a possibility.  Thank you!

@CedricWoodgard, welcome to the Guild of Avalonia! All that you have listed there is possible. Your next step is to post the sigfig here with a bit of backstory (a sentence or two is enough, or several paragraphs if you so desire). As long as the island is not large it should not be a problem, though it likely will not appear on the map. I look forward to seeing your builds!

Hello Everyone,

This is my SigFig, Cedric Woodgard. I am the rightful king of the Realm of Wytheria. I rose to power nearly 6 years ago after the banishment of my father, Rhonnel Physcere after his crimes against the realm and the Guild of Avalonia. My kingdom is in the North Western region of Avalonia, bordering the sea and the northern guild of Mitgardia. I live in Wytheria’s capital city of Direhold. Direhold is a large and wealthy city, as it should be since it is the capital of Wytheria. Direhold has one of the largest sea ports in all of Avalonia, hundreds of merchants and traders sail in and out of the harbor each day. Not far from the shore of Wytheria lies the Elven Island of Elgeria, home of the Elgerian Elves. Long ago the Wytherians and the Elves conflicted amongst each other but since the founding of Avalonia they are one another’s strongest allies. Although Wytheria is an independent kingdom, it has sworn loyalty to the throne of Avalonia...if the King should ever need their help, the Wytherians will fight for Avalonia!

Feel free to add me on Flickr, if you type in my name my photos should pop up :)

C086A091-AB12-45CB-88EE-3256156079EE.jpeg

Edited by CedricWoodgard

Welcome to Avalonia!  Very interesting backstory with lots of tantalizing hints... (What were his father's crimes?  What products are Direhold known for with all this trade?)  You have a lot to work on with a large port city!  I'm looking forward to seeing your builds!

I don't know if you've seen some of these yet, but if you want some sparks for ideas, there's the Historican Settlement Thread, in which you can get Direhold on the official map after you've completed the build requirements, the avalonian tasks are set forth on the first page of this thread, and there's also a doctorate of Historica to try and achieve in various building techniques.  And if you've got your story in mind already, you can jump right in with freebuilds, which are always fun to see!

2 hours ago, Grover said:

Welcome to Avalonia!  Very interesting backstory with lots of tantalizing hints... (What were his father's crimes?  What products are Direhold known for with all this trade?)  You have a lot to work on with a large port city!  I'm looking forward to seeing your builds!

I don't know if you've seen some of these yet, but if you want some sparks for ideas, there's the Historican Settlement Thread, in which you can get Direhold on the official map after you've completed the build requirements, the avalonian tasks are set forth on the first page of this thread, and there's also a doctorate of Historica to try and achieve in various building techniques.  And if you've got your story in mind already, you can jump right in with freebuilds, which are always fun to see!

Doctorate of Historica sounds awesome. Is it still active? I would love to do some of that.

My first build will feature the banishment of the former king, Rhonnel Physcere, his crimes include that of adultery, treason, conspiracy, and the practice of dark magic.  As for Direhold's product of trade, those include, many different species of fish (as Direhold is by the sea), Iron ore from the Alcan Mountains in Northern Wytheria, and some of the finest fruits and vegetables in Avalonia...Wytheria is also known for producing some of the finest horses in Avalonia.

Edited by CedricWoodgard

11 hours ago, CedricWoodgard said:

My kingdom is in the North Western region of Avalonia, bordering the sea and the northern guild of Mitgardia.

The border with Mitgardia is the north eastern region, not western. There is already a bustling center of trade there near the Mitgardian border on the sea, called Osgard (check the map in the first post). You could prospectively site your city one or two river mouths over, or you could in fact be towards the north west and be near @Grover's settlement. There is room for you regardless, and I can't wait to see your first creations! I will get you added to the member list soon.