Henjin_Quilones

Book III - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Just now, Henjin_Quilones said:

We would be greatly pleased to have you, even if your building skills are greener than the verdant Avalonian plains! 

To upload an avatar, click your member profile in the top right corner of the site, and then click on the picture icon on your account page. That should bring up a window that lets you upload a picture (100x100 pixels) to serve as your account avatar. 

Uploading pictures in general is best (or at least easiest) done, in my opinion, through Flickr. At the bottom right of a picture on Flickr there are several icons, one of which allows you to share the picture; it looks like an arrow. That opens a window that allows you to choose different formats for sharing. BBCode is the one you want, and you want to use the size that is closest to 600x800 (or 800x600) to have pictures large enough to be seen but not so large as to crash the server. Copy and paste the BBCode into your Eurobricks post, and like magic a picture will appear when you post it. Most people crop off the end part of the code, to make it look prettier, but it works either way. 

If that doesn't make sense, ask more questions! Here is a good place, or even better is usually the GoH New Member's Guide, so that everyone feels more free to answer. 

Welcome!

Thanks Henjin.  I have enjoyed the stories which have led me to formulate my own. What will be unique with my story is the need to introduce characters and scenes vaguely in order to participate in contests while the full story is worked on in a more linear fashion in the back ground. 

So participating in a contest now may result in a vague scene, no back story as the image is set in a scene where my character is going to end up but far from where he starts.  Or it may show acquaintances without backstory as these friends and comrades have not met yet.  Would this be too out of context to participate in the challenges? My goal would be to tie said scene I portray in a challenge to at least make it fit the current timeline that is unfolding.  It may just be achieving this by not fully immersing my story with the current events.  But parallel to those events.  Let me know if this kind of story telling and contest entries are acceptable before I go too far down that path.  It is the only way I can think of to create a story while participating in the current book 3 at the same time.

It sounds possible to tell you story that way, but if it’s easier on you, none of the challenge entries, unless otherwise specified, require you to have any of your characters in them. They can be very generic characters, or characters you make up for the sole purpose of the challenge, never to be used again. 

1 minute ago, LordBevis said:

Thanks Henjin.  I have enjoyed the stories which have led me to formulate my own. What will be unique with my story is the need to introduce characters and scenes vaguely in order to participate in contests while the full story is worked on in a more linear fashion in the back ground. 

So participating in a contest now may result in a vague scene, no back story as the image is set in a scene where my character is going to end up but far from where he starts.  Or it may show acquaintances without backstory as these friends and comrades have not met yet.  Would this be too out of context to participate in the challenges? My goal would be to tie said scene I portray in a challenge to at least make it fit the current timeline that is unfolding.  It may just be achieving this by not fully immersing my story with the current events.  But parallel to those events.  Let me know if this kind of story telling and contest entries are acceptable before I go too far down that path.  It is the only way I can think of to create a story while participating in the current book 3 at the same time.

In general, most builders have their own stories that they focus on most of the time, but many choose to build things that aren't related to their stories for challenges. Sometimes for freebuilds, too, actually. There is no requirement that you only build things happening directly to your character. Sometimes challenge builds overlap with builders' main stories, but not always, and it is certainly not necessary. There is no "right way" to tell stories in the Guilds, nor is there a "wrong way" (except when a story directly contradicts an established point of lore or infringes on the stories of others, or crosses out of the medieval-fantasy realm of Historica into something else, like science fiction or the modern world). Vague scenes, with generic events lacking any backstory, are oftentimes what we see for challenge entries, in fact. 

You can build stuff in whatever order you want; there is no requirement that you do X first, then Y, then Z, and so on (except for posting a sigfig and brief bio for Guild membership). So start building what interests you, and then keep going!

4 hours ago, MiloNelsiano said:

It sounds possible to tell you story that way, but if it’s easier on you, none of the challenge entries, unless otherwise specified, require you to have any of your characters in them. They can be very generic characters, or characters you make up for the sole purpose of the challenge, never to be used again. 

Thanks for the feedback. My building time is limited so if I can begin working on my town/city diorama as well as content for my characters story whether that content reflects past present or future ideas it becomes the ideal situation.  So when I see a challenge I instantly think, how can I progress or provide content for my story/town/landscape while also meeting the challenge needs. That also really helps to focus my thoughts on what I want to showcase and how.

Just introducing my sig fig. No title at this point just a commoner/farmer.  His story will be told in time as it takes place during book II and book III.

Name: Niall O'Connall.

Age. 17 (this is the age where his story begins. He would be closer to 20 by this point in book 3)

Hails from: Remote Avalonian farm in western Avalonia. South of Burrium and NE of Helenia although its exact location is not well known as the local farms and small hamlets have long been left off any well known maps.

46736737772_31d03b5826_c.jpgIMG_20190117_234912950 by Matt Beavis, on Flickr

Edited by LordBevis

An official welcome to Avalonia, @LordBevis! Your fig looks good, and hopefully we'll see more of his story soon! (Looks like you have a rather significant build there already, so I'm guessing we'll get a chance to see it in the near future...)

I'll get you added to the first post as an official member shortly.

55 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

An official welcome to Avalonia, @LordBevis! Your fig looks good, and hopefully we'll see more of his story soon! (Looks like you have a rather significant build there already, so I'm guessing we'll get a chance to see it in the near future...)

I'll get you added to the first post as an official member shortly.

Thank you.  I am going to attempt to get one of the smaller challenges done before the end of January hits.  Then I hope to do the intro to my story next month and finish the build that I used as the back drop.

@LordBevis Welcome to GoH, and in particular to the best Guild! You chose wisely :wink: I've been reading your posts and must say: in what you wrote, I see a lot of myself when I started here on GoH. I also gave a lot of importance to things like chronological order, make your story fit into the bigger picture, organisation in general and so on. So, while it's definitely a good thing that you do think about all this, my advice is that you don't worry too much. With time you'll find a way to make everything fit. After all, the only thing everyone expects from you here, is that you enjoy what you do :sweet: So HQ's words are wise: just start building what you're interested in, the rest will come.

Sooo ---> nice to see your sigfig - hope to see some builds from you soon. Long live the Avalonian Dragons!

My first MoC posting. Starting with challenge 2. Takes place in present day for my character. Will jump to the back story slowly over the book. 

Comments and advice welcome.  Let me know if the links and images show up correctly as I am not sure how to post the Flickr images from a mobile device. 

Alright I hope I am doing this right!

46202051934_1d35761f8d_b.jpgRobert Sigurd by jesse van den Oetelaar, on Flickr

I Robert Sigurd  pledge my allegiance to Avalonia!

"Robert Sigurd comes from a noble family nearby Albion. His father, Wilfred Sigurd has a small piece of land there.

Robert is at an age of 28, He is a skilled swordsman and he knows how to handle a spear.

He is respected by his men and they will follow him into the flames if needed.

He doesn’t wants to know anything about politics, it just doesn’t suits him.

His father however, keeps saying that the sword is not always the right solution.

Sometimes you have to listen for the greater good.

Their family house, or better say, their stronghold is impressive for it’s size. It’s nothing fancy But it will hold against any intruders.

The land they posses are rich of small little farms. Dense forests and outposts where his men keep guard over the land."

I'm not a really great story teller nor is english my native language, so forgive me if something is wrong :).

Edited by Servertijd

Welcome @Servertijd! Nice looking fig and interesting intro.

Perfect English is not a requirement for posting and telling stories, but I am sure your story telling and English will both improve as you go along!

Hail to You, Lords and Ladies of Avalonia - and also to all brave Knights and Sergeants, Servants and Yeomen, Farmers and Craftsmen, Monks and Rogues, and to all of You I have left out!

img_69681qkup.jpg

May I introduce myself: my name is Ulfric, Ulfric of Argeste, surnamed „the donkey from Argeste“ (because of my stoical temper“). I’m a merchantman, and while foods and supplies are always needed in these dark times, I buy and sell whatever can be bought or sold. So no matter what you need, be it beer or whine, old manuscripts or new building materials, clothing, weapons or armour – just ask for it, and we will find a way to fit your needs.

I am aged 52 years right now, so I left my youth quite behind, and my eyes have seen more tragedies and more happy festivities than most people of Avalonia have just heared of. Just offer my a fine goblet and perhaps I am willing to share some remembrances with You?! I was born in the small village of Argeste, somerwhere west of Osgard, and while my parents where farmers and free men, aged 13 I was sent to Albion to a friend of my father, to learn all about trading fabrics and clothes. Those have been hard years, but I was eager to learn, and as a companion I left Albion to make a fortune – and I did well.

img_6967eijzv.jpg

Today I am a well known merchantman, honoured and – mostly – straightforward. You can meet me somewhere on the roads of Avalonia, traveling together with Mopsy, my beloved draught horse, and with Alfred, my not so much beloved servant (and nephew, to  be exact). Or You can visit me at home, back in Argeste, where I managed to build a fine house I can call my own.

So, Lords and Ladies and all of You people from Avalonia, if a simple merchant can aid Your causes, then take me please – I’m Yours!

42 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

@derEselausErgste, welcome to Avalonia! Great backstory and I look forward to seeing your builds. 

Thats good news Mylord, indeed. My deeply felt thanks will allways be Yours!

Honestly said, the Donkey is no builder at all, but just a simple merchantman. The only building so far I can offer is the just started Stronghold myself is pleased to deliver materials to. The ongoing of that stronghold can be seen here - but be warned: it will take months to complete this fortification.
In the meantime I would like to offer my services, beginning with task No.1:

Travelling in Avalonia is dangerous – the more if you carry valuable goods with you. I am no noble man nor a fighter, and no army will follow my call when the time has come. But thats no reason to travel alone.

img_1153tvjv3.jpg

First of all: my nephew Alfred. May I speak openly? Alfred is a menace and no help at all, and he is not worth the food he tooks from me. But he is the only child of my oldest sister, and when she and her husband died, falling prey to the black death that was devastating Avalonia some years ago, I swore to her beside her deathbed to take care of her son. I am not married, and I have no children on my own, so thats what i did, thats what i do and thats what i will do for  the years to come. Alfred is not a bad guy in general, but he can not keep his hands off alcohol, women and dice, and thats a non promising combination. At least I have someone to talk to – if he is not drunk…

img_11550qkuj.jpg

For Gods sake Alfred is not my only companionship. There are people i can call friends, who are willing to help my aid whenever needed:

Gwendolyn Roundeyes – lovely as a rose and harsh as a brothels Madam, she can do things impossible for a man…and sometimes a little bit more…

Allistor – a former city guard and a man of all purposes. He found me one night at a tavern beside the street to Albion, mumbling something about the wife of the guards captain, and I understood he was in trouble and in need of a job…

Justin the Blackhearded – the archetype of a hired sword, expensive but efficient. He does not talk much, but when he grabs for his weapon you better run…

Norn the Dwarf – my best friend for decades, you won’t find a better one between the isles and the grasslands. He is a great warrior…ok, he would be a great warrior, if his legs would be a little bit longer…

img_1156lxjpi.jpg

Thats just a tiny party You say? You are right. But if needed, I can also bank on the help of Sir Henry Ironclad (he still owns his both hands, but what he holds he will never yield back). He is a knight, and notwithstanding his age (similar to mine), he still is not the worst of all knights you may encounter in Avalonia. We know each others for decades, helping when help is needed. He’s a friend, if ever  a common and a nobleman can be united in friendship. And of course it‘s good advise to know a nobleman that is indebted to you (Sir Henry is always in need of coines, and I am a wealthy man). Sir Henry holds his fief from the Marcher Lord oft he north-eastern territories, and although his assets are small, he can field a lance of trained soldiers whenever I ask for his assistance – at least as long as his Lord does not claim for his services. In times of war, he can call for his manor guards and his fyrd also.

img_1157p1jll.jpg

img_1158fkjwr.jpg

Just at the moment, Sir Henry - easy to identify by the green crest - and me met on our way to the site of his Lords new Stronghold, where he will take control on the works, and I will help him managing the  various crafts – and delivering material of course. Thats a win-win-situation for both of us, as Sir Henry is not the born organiser.  

img_115936jbb.jpg

So, thats the Donkey of Argestes warband. Impressive – as long as the foe is not impressive by himself.

Most welcome to our new members! you have choosed the right guild for your adventures! Can´t wait to see where your stories will lead!

Avalonia, long time no see I fear! I have just made my entry for the challenge and have some more mocs in the loop! Currently working on the final scene on what happened to Lena when she was captured! 

Hope to be more active now!

When and how do the freebuild periods work.  When is the next one.  Are they just for fun or are they scored and count for points within the guild or for the guild?

If they are scored can they be used towards guild tasks as well as freebuild scoring or is it one or the other.  If there is a forum or place to read up on this I think I have missed the details.

Thanks

48 minutes ago, LordBevis said:

When and how do the freebuild periods work.  When is the next one.  Are they just for fun or are they scored and count for points within the guild or for the guild?

If they are scored can they be used towards guild tasks as well as freebuild scoring or is it one or the other.  If there is a forum or place to read up on this I think I have missed the details.

Thanks

Freebuild periods are roughly a few months in length; the third period is currently open, having begun January 1st. It will probably end a month before the deadline of the next challenge (which has not been announced, but will probably be in three months or so). Freebuilds are scored and earn points for the guild in the overall Gold Standings between the Guilds. Nothing really rides on the Gold Standings except guild pride and bragging rights, but that's part of the fun. So I would say that freebuilds are both for fun and for points. 

As for guild tasks and freebuilds, a freebuild is defined as any build that is not an entry into one of the official Inter-Guild Challenges (like Challenge II, which had its deadline today). So entries to complete the tasks, if they are put into their own threads and added to the freebuild registration thread as well, definitely count as freebuilds. 

I'm not sure if there is a thread to read up on all the details that you might have missed, but the New Member Guide can be helpful for some things, and asking questions as they come up, either on that thread or in this one here, is always welcome. 

Hope that helps!

Welcome to all the new members!  Some very nice intro builds there!  I have been seeing some of Servertijd's builds on the other forums here recently and they are spectacular!  We are excited to have all of you joining the best of the guilds.  Look forward to seeing more of your builds around!

@derEselausErgste welcome to the best Guild! :classic: nice sigfig and nice intro, can't wait for more :thumbup:

@Servertijd Jesse! It's so nice to see you around here! Starting off with a cool sigfig, a nice build and everything.. And you even picked the right Guild! I'm glad ^^

@en_zoo Thanks mate! I'm glad I joined Avalonia! (the other guilds are awesome too, to be honest), but Avalonia appealed the most to me :).

Edited by Servertijd

Thanks to all of You for the warm welcome!

Sir Henry and me just arrived at the strongholds site. What should I say? Catastrophic! What should be a nearly completed border fortress at present is not more than a lonely tower, a ridiculous small pallas building and a just begun guards house. It will take months until this joke of a castle will be able to ward off goblins, snarks or other monstrosities. 
At least there is ONE positive news: the Marcher Lord offered me a free building site, if I pledge allegiance to him and stay to speed up the works. Guess what I did? Of course. Just some months of hard work, and afterworks the donkey will be able to settle down in this brand new border fortification. Can't wait to sit down and outline the plans for my new home...