Henjin_Quilones

Book III - Avalonia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

Welcome to all new members, you made a great choise! ( @Full Plate I hope to see some forests from your hand soon :excited: )

I know I've been not been fulfilling my duties for the Avalonian heartland as well as I should, but university kicked in and so... Anyway, it seems like you can all do very well without me, keep up the good work guys :thumbup: ( @Henjin_Quilones nice description of the other guilds you've got over there!)

Lastly @LittleJohn seems like I missed even more, that looks very promising. I'll have to check it out somehow!

Edit: where did I get my new member title? :look: 

Edited by TitusV

5 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

A new build from me is up: 

*snip*

And @TitusV, what, are you at university to study or to build LEGO? Get your priorities straight! 

Hahahaha, okay, I've never looked at it that way Henjin :laugh: 

Luckiliy I've got you guys to remind me of what's really important :grin: 

Avalonia Task 2: Lady Gwenllian of Prenmôr

Although Lady Gwenllian and her household were already introduced in Book II, I thought it would be nice to update her pic and that of her household, along with a more lengthy description, and to complete Task 2 for Avalonia.

F1tubDa.png

When Lady Gwenllian fled her homeland of Albers, she brought with her only her closest and most trusted servants.  From left to right:

Myellan: An elf originally from Avalonia, Myellan is an expert archer, tracker, and woodsman.  He serves as an ambassador to the elves around Prenmôr and helps to log the forests in a sustainable and environmentally conscious manner (lest they offend the elves).  His keen eyes were of great value when sailing across the sea to Avalonia, and he continues to help keep watch at night.

Sven: A human from Mitgardia, Sven grew up learning to fight with an axe and shield.  In the cold north, he learned how to blacksmith from a dwarven smith, and then learned to sail on the icy waters of the sea.  Years ago, he sailed off from Mitgardia in search of adventure and found Albers across the sea, finding work as a smith for Lady Gwenllian’s mother.  After Lady Gwenllian’s family was killed in the civil war in Albers, Sven swore his fealty to Lady Gwenllian.  After captaining the Cedar Serpent over the sea to Avalonia, Sven now serves as Lady Gwenllian’s blacksmith and armorer, and is the oldest of the household.

Alis: Alis is the human daughter of Lady Seren, from Albers.  She is only 12, but is quite precocious and is a daring child.  She helps with the chores around the household, including feeding the chickens, sweeping, and collecting twigs for kindling.  Her main interest, however, lies in learning to smith, and she spends much of her day apprenticed to Sven at the forge.

Lady Seren: Lady Gwenllian’s most trusted servant, Lady Seren (human) serves as Lady Gwenllian’s woman-at-arms.  Raised in a military family in Albers, Lady Seren was trained with a longsword and shield from an early age and is a dangerous opponent on the battlefield.  She studied with some of Albers’ best generals before the war and is well-versed in battlefield tactics and fortifications.  She played a critical role in developing plans for the current castle and choosing the most defensible ground.  She has one daughter, Alis, whose father deserted them years ago in Albers.

Lady Gwenllian: Lady Gwenllian herself hails from Albers, from a long line of minor but loyal nobles who made themselves well off with ocean trade of their brewed beers.  She had a wide variety of interests growing up, and was trained in the sword and jousting by her mother, trained by the house wizard in a small amount of magic, and by a local ranger in the ways of the woods, where she spent much of her time as a child.  Her household remains loyal to her because of her and her family’s kind nature, and she seeks to protect those in her charge.  The horrible civil war of Albers taught her many hard lessons, having lost the rest of her family.  Fortunately, she was able to escape the siege that held her family’s small keep with her household (pictured here), along with her family’s small fortune in gold.  She plans to use this wealth to build a fortress, raise a number of warriors, and eventually sail back to Albers to retake the land from the evil emporer.

Cedors: Cedors is Lady Gwenllian’s trusty steed, and the only horse from Albers to make the journey (it was quite a feat sneaking him out of the Sally port during the siege).  A 21 hand tall heavy draft horse, his gait is sure but slow.  He is, however, loyal to Lady Gwenllian and is a nearly unstoppable force once he reaches a full gallop.

Chwyd: Another human from Albers, Chwyd is usually gruff and somewhat coarse in language, but he more than makes up for these shortcomings in strength, loyalty to Lady Gwenllian, and gentleness with children.  He is quite proficient with the spear, but otherwise has few skills of measureable worth.  Despite this, he happily takes up mundane tasks suited to his brute strength, including hauling equipment and supplies, cleaning out the latrine, and digging ditches.

Floro: A faun from Albers, Floro descended from ancestors in Avalonia.  He is quite the prankster, and along with Castwyr, keeps the others in good spirits.  He prefers less lethal weaponry, including a whip and net, but will defend himself and his companions when necessary.  He is one of the ambassadors to the nearby elven, satyr, and dwarven communities, as they all enjoy his company.  He loves music and will sing and dance with any bard who comes through town.

Castwyr: A human bard who originally grew up in Nocturnus, Castwyr is one of the more interesting characters in Lady Gwenllian’s household.  She is a musician by trade, but has many more skills of a nefarious nature, and is an excellent lockpick and pickpocket.  She keeps morale up with Floro, and collects rumors and information from the locals.

Edit: Don't know what happened to Lady Gwenllian's original picture on here, so it's copied below so you can see her more easily.

irceHMM.jpg

For pieces:

Head: Classic smiley (I hope everyone has at least one of these!)

Hair: Dark red with ponytail (Any dark red will do in a pinch)

Torso & Legs: from CMF 15 knight (hands can be swapped for yellow, or stay gloved)

Armor: Dragon insignia plate

Shield: Long oval dragon shield

Helmet: Dark green

Visor: Dark metallic

Feather: Dark green triple

Sword: Greatsword in pearl dark grey (hand and a half bastard sword)

Alternate: Dark brown scabbard (for when not in full armor)

She's free for others to use in their stories so long as she doesn't get killed, married off, kidnapped, or other story-changing events.  I suspect it would be unusual to see her in her full battle regalia, so she can be put in other gear although she won't be seen in a dress or skirt, preferring more practical garments, and usually wears her normal chainmail (the CMF torso and legs), as she likes to be prepared, and she is never without her sword.  The main things for the figure are the classic smiley and the dark red hair.

Edited by Grover
Added picture and parts list

hey @Grover, nice to see your introduction again, it's intriguing enough! hope to also see some builds from you soon! :sweet:

So, guys, I've been wondering - which kind of government do we currently have in Avalonia? For as far as I can dig in the big recap, we had two high lords before the civil war. Has anything changed since then? Or have I missed something? 

@Grover, a nice looking crew you have there! Thanks for posting them. 

@en_zoo, your question is a complicated one! Yes, things have changed, but how is unclear. I've had a related Avalonian minichallenge brewing in my mind for some time now, but waiting for BL orders for an intro build as well as planning around official all-Guild Challenges (the next one comes the 15th of this month) has delayed its implementation a bit. In Book I, Avalonia had a king, but he vanished in Book II and was replaced by two High Lords who ruled as stewards; that system failed during the civil war period - one of them all but vanished - resulting in a lack of any sort of centralized leadership during the Raavage crisis. I think we have something more like an interim council of lords for the time being (like what met in the Challenge I prelude), but we will get further clarity sometime in the next few months, once I get the minichallenge up and running, probably towards the middle or end of January, once Challenge II is winding down or finished. 

13 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I've had a related Avalonian minichallenge brewing in my mind for some time now, but waiting for BL orders for an intro build as well as planning around official all-Guild Challenges (the next one comes the 15th of this month) has delayed its implementation a bit. In Book I, Avalonia had a king, but he vanished in Book II and was replaced by two High Lords who ruled as stewards; that system failed during the civil war period - one of them all but vanished - resulting in a lack of any sort of centralized leadership during the Raavage crisis. I think we have something more like an interim council of lords for the time being (like what met in the Challenge I prelude), but we will get further clarity sometime in the next few months, once I get the minichallenge up and running, probably towards the middle or end of January, once Challenge II is winding down or finished. 

Sounds exciting! Looking forward to what the next challenge may hold...

On 12/4/2018 at 10:26 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

@en_zoo, your question is a complicated one! Yes, things have changed, but how is unclear. I've had a related Avalonian minichallenge brewing in my mind for some time now, but waiting for BL orders for an intro build as well as planning around official all-Guild Challenges (the next one comes the 15th of this month) has delayed its implementation a bit. In Book I, Avalonia had a king, but he vanished in Book II and was replaced by two High Lords who ruled as stewards; that system failed during the civil war period - one of them all but vanished - resulting in a lack of any sort of centralized leadership during the Raavage crisis. I think we have something more like an interim council of lords for the time being (like what met in the Challenge I prelude), but we will get further clarity sometime in the next few months, once I get the minichallenge up and running, probably towards the middle or end of January, once Challenge II is winding down or finished.

whoa a mini-challenge even! awesome! I wouldn't mind trying again and participate in the challenges this time (I've never managed to meet a deadline, as you might remember :hmpf_bad:), yet I really want 2 more builds/episodes to get my story to a decent point. Plus, I'll be at my parents for 2 weeks over xmas, which means no bricks.. Fingers crossed for January! :grin: Lovely initiative though, whatever the case :thumbup:

A former mercenary and the second son of a Varlyrian nobleman, Brandir was awarded the lordship of a port city called Arcadia on the west coast of Avalonia for services to the realm. Though he had the choice to settle down, Brandir instead remained in Albion, the capital city, acquiring enough power and influence over the years to become one of the most powerful men in the city. Brandir has been a veteran of the many wars that have befallen Historica in the past few years, having again served with distinction to Avalonia before finally retiring. However, with Historica continuing to rebuild, and the political climate of Albion changed, Brandir seeks his reentry into politics, and to reclaim his former power and influence. 

45813641244_c5bffa202c.jpgBrandir by Brandon Stark, on Flickr

Aside from a few short visits here and there, I haven't been on this site for over a year and a half, and honestly, it feels really good to be back. Life is kind of a mess for me right now and it isn't at the same place as it once was when I was last actively on this site over a year and a half ago. I've wanted to rejoin, but life, studies, and the constant moving I've done in the past few months has kept me busy, and I lost track of time. Well I wanted to get in my introduction right before the end of the year so I'm back now, and I've decided to use my old character if that's possible, although I slightly changed the name, and my character won't be running the same lands as he did in Book II. Anyways, again it's good to be back and I'm excited to see what I can build for Book III. 

14 hours ago, TitusV said:

Wishing you all the very best for the new year!

this! :classic:

On 12/31/2018 at 5:04 PM, TitusV said:

Wishing you all the very best for the new year!

Right back at ya! Let's keep Avalonia the best guild in 2019!

Edited by TheLordOfBricks

My latest Freebuild also my only CCC entry. Using it for my HSS stable and for my task 6

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/169362-helenia-warhorses/

Also lots of Freebuild coming as soon as I get my challenge entries finished. A lot of builds we're started for CCC but didn't get them finished in time.

Edited by mlongworth

@Henjin_Quilones quick question: as I understand it from your builds (maybe you also mentioned it somewhere?), the Queen's royal house now in Cedrica has the unicorn as heraldry, which is also the symbol of Historica itself. Does it also have a couple of colours in the banner or so, similar to those of each guilds?

Edited by en_zoo

On 1/3/2019 at 6:13 AM, en_zoo said:

@Henjin_Quilones quick question: as I understand it from your builds (maybe you also mentioned it somewhere?), the Queen's royal house now in Cedrica has the unicorn as heraldry, which is also the symbol of Historica itself. Does it also have a couple of colours in the banner or so, similar to those of each guilds?

I used the unicorn for the Queen because it is the symbol for the Guilds, and she is the queen of the whole thing. The royal house of Cedrica has dark red as its primary heraldic color, but the Queen has added white and black (see the banner in the back of the hall behind the throne here). I want to say there is dark green in there somewhere as well (since the minifig shield with the unicorn has dark green on it), but I don't want the Queen to be seen as biased towards Avalonia, either, so I have left that out, except on the shields. 

On 1/9/2019 at 4:58 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I used the unicorn for the Queen because it is the symbol for the Guilds, and she is the queen of the whole thing. The royal house of Cedrica has dark red as its primary heraldic color, but the Queen has added white and black (see the banner in the back of the hall behind the throne here). I want to say there is dark green in there somewhere as well (since the minifig shield with the unicorn has dark green on it), but I don't want the Queen to be seen as biased towards Avalonia, either, so I have left that out, except on the shields. 

Thanks for specifying, HQ. I'm afraid I don't have much dark red to use (flags etc..), so I'll make do with black and white for now :classic:

Hi, I'm not joining Avalonia :grin:. I am however "hijacking" an Avalonian citizen :devil:. I am going to use the character for the 2nd Challenge (Aid from Avalonia to Bluevale in Mitgardia) and in further adventures in probably. Just wanted to know if you think this is an appropriate character from Avalonia and if the story does not clash with anything going on in Avalonia.

His name is Davos, the youngest of 5 sons and from a 2nd marriage of an Avalonian Nobleman with extensive holds on the border with Mitgardia's southern Demon's Ridge where Bluevale is nestled. He knows his standing in the family will not allow for anything more than a secondary role in its affairs. Quick of mind and fit of body he has, however, neither the patience for a scholarly profession or the discipline for military duties. He decides he has to find his own way in life. Recent developments in Bluevale might present him with an opportunity to do just that.

46007686614_26a5609406.jpg

So what do you think?

18 hours ago, Bracari said:

Hi, I'm not joining Avalonia :grin:. I am however "hijacking" an Avalonian citizen :devil:. I am going to use the character for the 2nd Challenge (Aid from Avalonia to Bluevale in Mitgardia) and in further adventures in probably. Just wanted to know if you think this is an appropriate character from Avalonia and if the story does not clash with anything going on in Avalonia.

Go right ahead! You can create characters from any guild, any time you want, as long as you are not claiming them to be part of someone else's family (without consulting them first, that is). A generic son of an anonymous nobleman from a general region of Avalonia is perfectly acceptable! Make up a whole horde of them, if you like! The more Avalonians out there, the better!

So my quick apologies for not getting to this sooner. I meant to join Avalonia towards the end of book 2.  Life got in the way, young kids and lengthy home renovations forced the lego into storage.  Renovations are now close to completion and with it comes the addition of the full sized lego room allowing me to begin my journey into building.  I would say I am a collector first and a beginner builder second, but the dream has always been to collect enough to build large scale. Anyone else have those ideas books in the 90's of castles and realize they never had enough cool pieces to build any castles the same size?

Anyways, hopefully tonight if not this week I will introduce my sig fig.  I likely will not be able to get too into the challenges until later in the year or winter. My sig fig's story will focus likely on a story that I hope does not clash with lore from book 1 or 2. So feedback on that when it happens is welcome.  I am also extremely green with eurobricks forums and flickr so you may look for many questions about posting, where to post, where to find correct challenges and building tasks so I can make past, present and future building plans.  My room is being setup to accommodate a large scale town/city diorama which has been the plan since before I found Historica.  I will be using Historica to focus my ideas and to gain ideas and feedback and to challenge my green abilities. 

Look forward to posting soon. Question 1. How do you upload an avatar or photo on here the easiest?

54 minutes ago, LordBevis said:

So my quick apologies for not getting to this sooner. I meant to join Avalonia towards the end of book 2.  Life got in the way, young kids and lengthy home renovations forced the lego into storage.  Renovations are now close to completion and with it comes the addition of the full sized lego room allowing me to begin my journey into building.  I would say I am a collector first and a beginner builder second, but the dream has always been to collect enough to build large scale. Anyone else have those ideas books in the 90's of castles and realize they never had enough cool pieces to build any castles the same size?

Anyways, hopefully tonight if not this week I will introduce my sig fig.  I likely will not be able to get too into the challenges until later in the year or winter. My sig fig's story will focus likely on a story that I hope does not clash with lore from book 1 or 2. So feedback on that when it happens is welcome.  I am also extremely green with eurobricks forums and flickr so you may look for many questions about posting, where to post, where to find correct challenges and building tasks so I can make past, present and future building plans.  My room is being setup to accommodate a large scale town/city diorama which has been the plan since before I found Historica.  I will be using Historica to focus my ideas and to gain ideas and feedback and to challenge my green abilities. 

Look forward to posting soon. Question 1. How do you upload an avatar or photo on here the easiest?

We would be greatly pleased to have you, even if your building skills are greener than the verdant Avalonian plains! 

To upload an avatar, click your member profile in the top right corner of the site, and then click on the picture icon on your account page. That should bring up a window that lets you upload a picture (100x100 pixels) to serve as your account avatar. 

Uploading pictures in general is best (or at least easiest) done, in my opinion, through Flickr. At the bottom right of a picture on Flickr there are several icons, one of which allows you to share the picture; it looks like an arrow. That opens a window that allows you to choose different formats for sharing. BBCode is the one you want, and you want to use the size that is closest to 600x800 (or 800x600) to have pictures large enough to be seen but not so large as to crash the server. Copy and paste the BBCode into your Eurobricks post, and like magic a picture will appear when you post it. Most people crop off the end part of the code, to make it look prettier, but it works either way. 

If that doesn't make sense, ask more questions! Here is a good place, or even better is usually the GoH New Member's Guide, so that everyone feels more free to answer. 

Welcome!