soccerkid6

Book III - Mitgardia: Guild sign-up and Discussion

1 hour ago, Drawd said:

@Henjin_Quilones  So what are the right guild for a dwarf living in a small mountain realm?

Remember: banter.

I'm getting the feeling maybe you guys should go easier on the new folks! :laugh:

On 10/7/2018 at 2:48 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Welcome @Drawd!

Don't mind @Henjin_Quilones, he must be getting lonely in Avalonia :tongue:
Dward looks like a perfect fit for Mitgardia :thumbup:

Thanks Mate!

Can't help that the rich ore that were find on the Mitgardian side of the border. :grin:

Edited by Drawd

How's everyone's Challenge 1 builds coming? I'm finishing up mine and hope to have pictures up by Thur.

2 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

How's everyone's Challenge 1 builds coming? I'm finishing up mine and hope to have pictures up by Thur.

Thanks for reminding me... I almost forgot the deadline is in less then a week... Whoopsie. Still enough time to actually build something though.

I built a house that's being rebuilt, if that makes sense. Built it exterior a while back, just been struggling with the roof a lot but I'm sure I'll be able to come up with something soon

Oh but first I'll have reintroduce myself here :D

On 10/10/2018 at 4:19 AM, MKJoshA said:

I’m finishing up mine hopefully this afternoon. I got stuck for a while but it’s looking good now (I hope!)

It's not super fancy, but it's all I had time for after SHIPtember.

Edited by MKJoshA

My entry to the challenge. Bit rushed, as I forgot the challenge for the most part :grin: O well better next time

Finally got around to posting this :grin:

overview.jpg

Anyone else working on a Mitgardian build?
I finished two more small ones recently, and am hoping to finish several more during the Colossal Castle Contest :dsweet:

Also a general reminder for everyone, don't forget to post your freebuilds in the registration topic. That ensures we get all our hard earned points :classic:

@Basiliscus:

We take all of the free builds for the period, and give them credit based on their size. Some builds from each Guild also get additional points for quality of build (we take into account story and photography to a lesser degree). This way we can account for both the quantity and quality of the builds from each Guild.

Note: Every Guild will have the  same number of free builds scored for quality each period, unless a Guild has an especially low number of free builds during that free build period.

Results are up for Challenge I and the first free build period!

Here's the summary of the current gold standings for each guild:
Avalonia - 213 gold
Varlyrio - 132 gold
Mitgardia - 123 gold
Kaliphlin -  109 gold

Time for Mitgardia to pump out some crazy epic free builds and make some gold :dsweet:
Can't let those tree huggers have such an easy lead ...

We thought you Mitgardians might enjoy the sight of something other than snow, so we decided to give you a flurry of sand instead!

31764770148_0f3ccf9006_z.jpg

On 10/26/2018 at 12:55 AM, soccerkid6 said:

Anyone else working on a Mitgardian build?

After a short pause, I am back working hard on a large water mill, hoping to have it finished in the next fortnight!

Just wondering, is there a dedicated WIP thread where we can post WIP shots and seek feedback? Or is here the appropriate place for that?

5 hours ago, Ayrlego said:

After a short pause, I am back working hard on a large water mill, hoping to have it finished in the next fortnight!

Just wondering, is there a dedicated WIP thread where we can post WIP shots and seek feedback? Or is here the appropriate place for that?

Sounds great! There is no dedicated WIP thread, and members usually just post their in progress pictures in their guild threads.
Which works well as then there fellow guild members easily see it and can offer feedback.

So yep, post your WIP photos here :dsweet:

Cool thanks! I really enjoy looking at other people's WIP shots as I think you can learn a lot from them. It's something I've always wanted to do more of and as I've slowed down my building and am trying to concentrate on improving the quality of my builds, I thought now would be a good opportunity to try it!

Anyway here it is...

45679388581_5cc65b439e.jpg

45679393291_a99aed95bd.jpg

and the source image I'm basing the design on (building on the left)

med-comparison12.jpg

Any recommendations/tips for anyone are more than welcome!

Some comments: I've been indecisive about the roofing. On one hand, I want to use the MDF/dark tan tile combo as featured in many of @soccerkid6's builds to tie in what I identify as classic 'Mitagardian' style, but the source material I'm basing the build on has timber roofs (or thatch - it's hard to tell). I think that a mixture of reddish brown and dark brown roofing will; however, be too much brown. The brown plates on top are only to get an idea of what the rest of the roof will be, the pitch will be slightly shallower but I am waiting on a BL order with some more old school hinge plates to fix them in place.

The part I am really stuck (and this is the same for 90 percent of my builds!) is the landscape. I always seem to build the buildings first. Then attempt to add the landscape - which I mostly suck at! I've noticed that many of the builders I admire often seem to start on the landscape, but this is something I've never really been able to do... Anyway for this I was planning an irregular base, although the tricky thing will be that it will need to be at least two bricks higher than the the base of the mill to accommodate the full water wheel. Any suggestions on how you guys think this should be done would be very helpful! Thanks all!

@Ayrlego Goodness that is already looking incredible :wub_drool: I think those roof colors work fine as thatch, and agree that more brown on the roof would be a bit overpowering.
As for base style, if you need a fair bit of depth and want an irregular edge, than this design works well:
Overview-low.jpg

My build log gives a look at that base style in progress.

And here a few other irregular base options by other buildiers:
8294288308_99f1c1b78c_c.jpg

30705583513_dbb7be2153_z.jpg

31194706283_6ae38f78fb_c.jpg

Really excited to see you finish it, and I'll try and share some WIPs of my own soon :classic:

I've been working on a good size landscape:

IMG_6512.jpg
Some plants and olive grass will be added to the olive green plates. I would like to have a small tree or two as well, but don't think I'll have space when the dwarven ballistas are added.