Here they are:

42082 Rough Terrain Crane

42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX

42080 Forest Machine

42079 Heavy Duty Forklift

Edited by Sariel

Nice reviews, I'm mostly surprised that the outridges on 42082 can lift it, albeit with stress and bending.

Thank you for the review of the cran

I have 1 question:

If you leave the superstructure in a rotate position with the master in neutral position, does the rotation is locked?

Edited by fred-eric
modifs

Great reviews - thanks!  I like all the models, though some more than others, and if I had to choose one it'd be 42079.  The price of the Forest Machine is ridiculous - I could have bought 42043 for about the same price not long after it was released (it was around £130 on Amazon UK for some time).

11 minutes ago, fred-eric said:

If you leave the superstructure in a rotate position with the master in neutral position, does the rotation is locked?

Yes, it is locked then.

42082 is easily the least impressive so far. 42081 is still my (marginal) front runner, though I've softened a bit towards 42080, if only for the new parts and innovation far beyond '82.

Looking forward to 42079 - it may be the decider. :look:

im rather surprised by the relatively negative view on 82, i was expecting more from the set, but given things like how the outriggers turned out and the huuuuge partcount for nothing groundbreaking, i totally understand it. I also think the chassis flexing when on the outriggers is worrysome, that shot was even without any load on the crane.

The Zeux is an intruiging set, it is indeed very visually striking, but on the tech side of things it feels like a thorough let down, feature/complexity wise it just doesnt stack up to the pricetag IMO, but the futuristic look is very cool, so i can definitely see the appeal.

the forest machine, im really surprised to see it rated so well, it has the best star-rating out of these three, but i just dont see the appeal. It is expensive as a parts pack, and then you get a whole bunch of weird colours, surely just buying the pneumatic parts on bricklink makes more sense?

I was considering getting some of these, but watching your reviews makes me think none of them really seem worth getting (any time soon anyway). I already have 42043, 42030 and 42055 so I more or less have all the important special parts. It's definitely a better lineup than last year when looking at set variety, but for quality vs. price it yet again feels hit and miss (although less so than last year).

42080 just straight up doesn't seem worth the cost - the PF is so unnecessary, especially considering that 42053 introduced a brand new hand pump.

42081, although looking awesome, leaves me feeling disappointed that TLC a) didn't give it PF, and b) chose the most boring of the prototype vehicles to sell. Seriously, some of those excavators look absolutely insane. The colours are also also all over the shop.

42082 also looks cool, but the longer I look the more I realise it's just 4000 parts for the sake of 4000 parts. It's so pointless, and like 42081 there's so much mess on top of the superstructure, particularly the two random panels. There's also no excuse for the boom not to go flat, regardless of what people have been saying.

I'm pretty negative but I think I'm justified. A lot of the sets this year have just been beams and wheels (so many god damn wheels). I'm bored of that and definitely think TLC can afford to do SO MUCH better. I want ball joint linkages, more suspension, more torque tubes, more pneumatics (especially in the smaller sets!). Instead we just get even more beams, gears and wheels.

Nice reviews anyway though, I always really enjoy watching them :D Looking forward to your 42079 video!

Edited by Bartybum

I think the review of 42082 is a bit harsh. The colour combo and lines look great and all the little details really stand out without resorting to a million system bricks. The average builder will have a blast with the set, and when they start selling it at 30% off it'll be a great parts pack.

2 minutes ago, suffocation said:

I think the review of 42082 is a bit harsh. The colour combo and lines look great and all the little details really stand out without resorting to a million system bricks. The average builder will have a blast with the set, and when they start selling it at 30% off it'll be a great parts pack.

I totally agree with the review. Even when I saw the prelim image I thought it looked boring. Cohesive but boring. And just too big for what it is.

Great reviews as always, waiting to have your view on 42079. I agree with @suffocation, interesting to see that you don't like the color combination of 42082 but you're a fan of 42080's appearance. I guess it can be a personal preference for everyone but I think 42082 has a more unified look than 42080 with the different shades of green and other colors popping up here and there.

It surely is a personal preference, to me the 42082 is just too riddled with pin holes while 42080 looks pretty smooth.

I have no idea why so many of you people are complaining about the 42082 RTC. I like it, and I like it more than any other custom RTC I have seen here on EB. It has good functions, performs nice, the color is cool; makes it stand out, and it has a very interesting and accurate shape. It's very good for TLG release. I would recommend it. Although my personal favorite out of this 4 is 42081 Zeux.

Excellent reviews, Sariel.

Aaaaand the 42079, named Heavy Duty Forklift for reasons unknown (it's a regular forklift), also added to the first post:

Thank you Sariel, I was wrong, the 42080 is the best of the year, you have a little mistake the 8416 is from 2005, I know you know it well.

Thanks for the forklift review sariel!

I dont quite agree with calling it a regular forklift though, those tend to have a much shorter wheelbase and can be used indoors, this, while not really a heavy duty model, at least qualifies as "medium duty" in my book :P

Complete all the views! They are perfect as always Thanks, Sariel!

Excellent reviews as always, @Sariel!

Even though the 42080 appears to not have a working saw blade in your review, Austrian Lego Fan managed to cut the log with his blade like this:

3 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

That forklift must be mine!! As it said at the end of the video, I am “desperate for rare dark blue pieces” :tongue:

They are quite a draw. :sweet: