Sign in to follow this  
Lamborghini Waffle Sauce

[MOC] The Hungarian Parliament in 1:650 Scale

For the Architecture Faves contest on LEGO Rebrick, I have built the Hungarian Parliament building in Budapest. It is a building I have built many times at a smaller scale, but this time I decided to build it in 1:650 scale to focus on the many details that this building offers.

43739677301_ae6431d6f4_c.jpg

Constructed in 1896 and finished in 1904, the Parliament building is Budapest's most visited landmark, and Hungary's most iconic building. The architecture is an indicator of Hungary's numerous artistic and aesthetic influences from all corners of Europe. The majority of the building utilizes gothic revival style influenced by the cathedrals of Western Europe, which is shown in the arches, columns, and spires. The iconic red dome and the rooftops are influenced by renaissance revival style, which is a staple of architecture in Southern Europe, which has had a large influence on Hungary's history.

42835173265_d403e3993f_c.jpg

The building sits on the Eastern embankment of the the Danube river (or the Pest side) and can be viewed from the other side and the many hills that are on the Buda side, which make up almost half the city. Being the tallest building in the city (along with St. Stephen's cathedral, both at 96 meters tall), the red dome of the Parliament can be seen from very far away. The side of the Parliament facing away from the river is Kossúth Lajos square, with a plaza, fields with trees and flowers, and two monuments.

Being in 1:650 scale, the model (with the base) is 59 studs wide, 55 studs long, and 23 studs or 20 stacked bricks tall. That's 47cm wide, 44cm long, and 19cm tall. Being a medium-sized model, it still consists of over 5000 bricks. My goal is to build Budapest's other landmarks in this scale, and also connect them by building parts of central Budapest.

42835177765_8080d929a4_c.jpg

More pictures in the flickr album, as well as a cross-section of the building technique used to build the dome.

Edited by Lamborghini Waffle Sauce

On 7/31/2018 at 12:59 PM, Lego-fire said:

Wow, that’s amazing! Love the spires.

On 7/31/2018 at 1:04 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

This is beautiful! Such detail at such a small scale! *oh2* You really captured the splendor of the real building quite nicely! :thumbup:

On 7/31/2018 at 8:46 PM, J and J LEGO Creations said:

Absolutely stunning! 

On 8/3/2018 at 2:43 PM, cubo said:

Very impressive (just like the real one :wink:)!!!

Thanks for the praise guys, I just saw a few days ago that I won runner-up on this Rebrick contest, I'm so excited!

28 minutes ago, Lamborghini Waffle Sauce said:

Thanks for the praise guys, I just saw a few days ago that I won runner-up on this Rebrick contest, I'm so excited!

Congrats man! You earned it! :excited:

On 7/31/2018 at 7:57 PM, Lamborghini Waffle Sauce said:

My goal is to build Budapest's other landmarks in this scale, and also connect them by building parts of central Budapest.

That will be a huge scene. But so far the Parliament looks fantastic.

Congrats! I've been in Budapest recently and I must admit this is an magnificent building. And your MOC more than captures it!