43757528711_44ba932445_b.jpg

REVIEW - 42079 - HEAVY DUTY FORKLIFT

29603187498_3d0a2cb6d4_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION
With 592 parts the smallest of the 2H 2018 sets. Of course, less parts doesn't mean a lesser model. It looks interesting enough and it has a promising B-model. The previous forklift (not counting the mini 8290) was the 8416 Fork-Lift from 2005, the year I got out of my dark ages. Needless to say this is a while ago. Like cranes, lots of people tend to like forklifts. Probably like those people, I am hoping that TLG will some day release a big forklift flagship, full RC, so you can fully control it like the 8043 - Motorized Excavator. But I digress. Let's see what this Heavy Duty Forklift has to offer.

42802598742_34ab81e0c5_o.png

If you see this icon, you can click the image on the left or right side of the image, to cycle through alternative images.

PICTURES
Pictures can be clicked to view hi-res versions. More pictures can be found in my Flickr album.

DISCLAIMER
This set has been provided by the CEE Team of TLG. It's not my goal to promote this set. It's my goal to give you an honest opinion about it. Therefore, the opinion in this review is my own and is in no way linked to TLG.

SET INFORMATION
Number: 42079
Title: Forklift Truck
Theme: Technic
Released: 2018
Part Count: 592
Box Weight: 1,24 kg
Box Dimensions: 37,7 cm x 25,7 cm x 9,0 cm
Set Price (MSRP): £  / $ 69,99 / € 49,99
Price per Part: £  / $ 0.118 / €
Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX
Apparently the size isn't important, or impressive, enough to mention on the front of the box. It only shows the Forklift transporting a drum with dangerous content. The picture in the top right indicates that the carriage can go up and down. That's great, being a forklift and all.

42733970494_b24af51870_b.jpg

BACKSIDE
At first glance, this doesn't seem to be a very special set, but the backside reveals a very good looking B-model. This alternate model could almost have appeared on the front of the box. Other than that, it has an interesting color scheme, some nice dark blue panels. Color me interested! 

29579270198_8e7a73b4b9_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX
This set contains:

• 2x Instruction booklet
  • 1x Sticker sheet
  • 4x Tire
  • 6x Unnumbered bag

INSTRUCTION BOOKLETS
We have seen this before, but I was still pleased with getting the second booklet out of the box.

29579269848_1720a94f52.jpg 42733969584_6331578b79.jpg

STICKER SHEET
Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a couple of stickers to provide some details for the bodywork, and of course the DANGER sign for the drum.

42733969904_45d2f270a4.jpg

TIRES
Probably some of the most commonly owned tires by AFOLs, but we haven't seen these last year (2017). Last set to use these tires is the 42049 - Mine Loader from 2016.

29579269548_0986de8b79_b.jpg

BAGS
The set contains six numbered bags.

42733969254_c44633b9fa_t.jpg 29579269108_79ef38b269_t.jpg 42545331135_1c916f389b_t.jpg 29579269318_76d83e65bc_t.jpg 42545331005_140a140dca_t.jpg 42545330565_a2f95e6b91_t.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS
Unfortunately, this set doesn't contain any of the new parts. Or any interesting parts for that matter. I have highlighted the following parts as the most interesting of this set.

GEAR RACK AND HOUSING
This Gear Rack Housing and Gear Rack can be found in six other Technic sets. The light bluish grey housing is only available in two sets though.

43451115571_f6fe3f1c17_b.jpg

DARK BLUE PANELS
If you want these dark blue panels you are limited to just a couple of sets. And I probably don't need to tell you that two of these sets are pretty expensive.

42735270644_08cf569d56_b.jpg

PART LIST
Here's the complete part list showing you 592 parts.

29579269718_3e9144354e_b.jpg

THE BUILD
Early in the build, the chassis already contains a lot of the functional parts. The front wheels with differential, connected to the axle and gears for the fake engine.

29580813678_0aaa542494_b.jpg

Two universal joints (U-joints) are used to connect the axle in the mast. In the picture on the right you can see the steering mechanism. Forklifts usually steer with the rear wheels, which is also the case for this vehicle.

28565015687_7329ffb309.jpg 29580813408_6a42e691fc.jpg

This profile view shows part of the cabin taking shape, and the 2-cylinder fake engine has been placed.

42567549395_2784b2935d_b.jpg

Behind the driver's seat is an axle going down in the chassis. It's connected to the axle leading to the mast of the forklift.

43424048372_06219c3d51_b.jpg

BODYWORK
The bodywork gives the forklift a finished look. I like the shape and color scheme of it. The light on the top of the vehicle is not the Hand of God steering. In this case, it's the Hand of God lifting hehe.

28587425357_abcbc8852b_b.jpg

CARRIAGE
The carriage is lifted using a Short Worm Screw Gear. The lifting height of the forklift is 16 studs. Thanks to M_Longer for measuring it. I forgot to do that and I currently have the B-model assembled. Always build the B-model first if you are writing a review and you will be covering both models. In case you are wondering how this is measured, here's the exact quote:

"I have put a 16L link under and it fit perfectly ;)"

29603187498_3d0a2cb6d4_b.jpg

LEFTOVER PARTS
The usual selection of small parts.

28587426237_dd852a8477.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL
The completed model has an exhaust which provides Hand of God steering. I do like the position of the steering mechanism, but I don't like the fact it is connected directly to the gear rack. This not only results in inverted steering, but also in rather direct steering. I would have liked to see some gear reduction and reversal of direction. I can understand there is little place for an intricate system, but I still think it was feasible.

This being a minor gripe, I do like this model a lot. I love its looks and its simplicity (in a good way). I had this model standing on the table and my five year old nephew immediately started playing with it. I only had to explain the tilting mechanism, which is located at both sides of the cabin, but besides that, he quickly started turning the knobs.

28587426167_e9b1668bc7_b.jpg

LIFTING MECHANISM
Click on the image below to show the lifting mechanism.

42802598742_34ab81e0c5_o.png

REAR
The rear of the vehicle does show some unused space. This gives me reason to believe a better steering mechanism could have been concocted. I do like the looks of the rear though. The solution with the two small panels is nicely done.

28587425927_d9b1589347_b.jpg

From a slightly different angle the forklift does look those big boys driving around in harbor areas.

28587425777_17f50fcd67_b.jpg

Another picture from the rear. I can only conclude that it's a good looking model.

28587425697_6aa4f6166d_b.jpg

B-MODEL
Since the instructions for the B-model are included in the set, it's only logical to include it in the review. Lucky for me, my lovely partner @Kitty was willing to spend some time building this alternate model. She is not really into Technic, but she is willing to help me out every now and then. Usually, she is taking sets apart, but occasionally she assists building them, like now.

Unlike the forklift, the fake engine is placed at the front of the chassis. So is the steering mechanism.

42641674625_8fc69258c6_b.jpg

Here's a side view with the crane attached. There is no mechanism to extend the boom. You simply need to operate it by hand.

43547023711_946a9356f2_b.jpg

The finished model is actually very good looking. And it has the basic functions you would expect from a tow truck, steering, working fake engine and a crane/boom. Granted, a mechanism to operate the boom is absent, but this being the B-model, I can live with it.

42641674535_9bf1d8ffe5_b.jpg

Shooting pictures for models with some sort of hook is always a challenge. The hook never hangs as you would like and it takes a couple of minutes for the hook to completely hang still . After putting the model on the table you wait...or go about some other business.

43499592752_a8fed86881_b.jpg

And a picture from the rear.

43547023511_df1f7c9278_b.jpg

This is one of those sets which is actually 2-in-1, having a proper alternate model AND instructions to build it out of the box. Below is a picture of the left over parts.

42642238335_05e6639d37_b.jpg

SUMMARY
For a Heavy Lift Forklift it feels a bit too compact. Like I said in the introduction of this review, it would be cool to have a Heavy Lift Forlift, which is actually massive, like the real machine. Of course, this has nothing to do with the quality of this model.

Lifting the forks/carriage is done via the beacon light on the top of the model. Tilting the mast is done via the levers on both sides of the cabin. Both functions work properly. Steering is done via the exhaust at the rear of the model. Steering is very direct and above all, it's inverted. This could have been done differently. 

At this price point, getting basically two proper models is great value. All in all I really do like this set. Nothing extraordinary, but if will definitely make for a nice gift. Downside for AFOLs is that most of us will be able to make this with our own inventory, since it doesn't contain any new parts.

PROS

• It's affordable.
  • Two very nice models.
  • Functions work properly (steering can be improved though).

CONS

• No new parts have been used.
  • Steering is inversed (minor gripe).

SCORE
How do I rate this set?

8 DESIGN
16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg
Two very good looking models, especially for a set this size.

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE
15624316853_d44ef20b33_m.jpg 
Nothing really special, as expected. But still fun to build.

8 FEATURES
Properly working manual features.

8 PLAYABILITY
Lots of playability. 

7 PARTS
15624316853_d44ef20b33_m.jpg 
No new parts were used. Other than that is an okay selection with some nice dark blue pieces.

9 VALUE FOR MONEY
16218294336_cc3a1c982b_m.jpg 
The cool B-model adds a lot of value to this, already great, set.

7,8 FOR LIFTING AND TOWING

FINAL WORDS
@M_Longer has created an LXF file which he has share in this topic. And @JunkstyleGio has created two wonderful renders.

42617842985_e7cec13bd2_c.jpg

43522800251_7979f2c173_c.jpg

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

I saw this set two days ago and it is really affordable nice set. Thanks for review which convinced me to buy this set; I really like images and description, but did not know that you went Spiritually (it's the Hand of God lifting :wink:

The only complain IMHO is that LEGO could use opportunity to include one 20 tooth double bevel gear with clutch in blue (from Chiron)

Excellent review s always @Jim, just one little correction, in 'Contents of the box' you state 6 unnumbered bags, then in 'Bags' you state 6 Numbered bags, one to put away for the grandkids at Christmas.

Looks like a nice set.  The B-model is a refreshing step up from some of the dodgy offerings over the years.

Edited by Boulderer
typo corrected

Lol us Aussies got it good. Minus goods tax it’s equivalent $45USD here :excited:

US and Canada get screwed over for it

44 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

US and Canada get screwed over for it.

Its the best set 2H anyway. I'll pay whatever for it.

Here is 52 Euro (in Croatia), so variety in pricing all over the Europe and other market's have their price "oscillation", but it is very good set, one of the best small 2H sets lately (if we ignore last year)

Nice review - thanks!

Price-wise it's the most attractive of the new Technic sets by far, currently equivalent to around 45 euro in the UK on Amazon at £39.96.  That works out at 6.75p per part, which is very good for a small Technic set.

I bought this set out of nostalgia for the forklift model 8835 which I enjoyed building as a teenager. When I opened the box and found instructions for the B-model, I built it first. It is a very nice build, not too much repetition, good use of parts and the tow-hook lift mechanism is very smooth.

11 hours ago, thekitchenscientist said:

I bought this set out of nostalgia for the forklift model 8835 which I enjoyed building as a teenager. When I opened the box and found instructions for the B-model, I built it first. It is a very nice build, not too much repetition, good use of parts and the tow-hook lift mechanism is very smooth.

This set reminds me of 8248 from 1998, which, funnily enough, I built when I was a kid. :laugh: 42079 even has the same models: a forklift and a tow truck. Granted, 8248 is a bit more futuristic, though.

Somehow the tow truck reminds me of the B-model of set 8853 (A model is a front loader), the Technic set I remember as my first (probably not actually my first Technic set, but my first large-ish Technic set). A set I have always liked a lot.

24 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Somehow the tow truck reminds me of the B-model of set 8853 (A model is a front loader), the Technic set I remember as my first (probably not actually my first Technic set, but my first large-ish Technic set). A set I have always liked a lot.

I know 8248 was my first proper Technic set. I struggled with it a bit back then, but now I'd probably knock it out. :laugh:

Nice review once more, Jim!

First I thought: Why a forklift? Not a device of my favourites in general. :look: But then again it's 'just' 50€ - cheaper than expected! 
'16L beam' is the lifting height? I would have loved to see a photo of this. :wink: Or is the last phot of the A-model at maximum height of the fork?

I used to like this set until the LEGO catalog reached me last night and I took a look at the price- $90. $90?!!! $90 got me a 42029 at full price back in the day, which has twice the pieces and more expensive parts in the inventory. Seriously?!

47 minutes ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

I used to like this set until the LEGO catalog reached me last night and I took a look at the price- $90. $90?!!! $90 got me a 42029 at full price back in the day, which has twice the pieces and more expensive parts in the inventory. Seriously?!

It's 60-70 here. Looks like we got a bad deal.

Beautifll review Jim! :thumbup:

I couldn't miss to grab this set for 35 EUR during my holiday, and must say, I am in love - the perfect Technic set at this size range! :wub: 

Surprisingly the reversed steering doesn't bother me much - it works for me some reason, but the lifting height is just terrible. Here You can find instructions for my EASY! modification: 

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/163477-42079-heavy-duty-forklift-mods-and-improvements/&do=findComment&comment=3004309

Edited by agrof

39 minutes ago, agrof said:

Surprisingly the reversed steering doesn't bother me much - it works for me some reason...

Yeah, it's only a minor issue, if considered an issue at all. It kinda feels logical in some way, like inverted Y-axis in games. I would have loved to see some gear reduction though. But that's also a minor gripe.

The reverse steering makes perfect sense to me. There’s nothing unintuitive about it since it’s quite literally the same as driving a car in reverse.

Edited by Bartybum

I also think that it drives how a vehicle with rear axle steering should drive. Even my 2 year old gets along with it.

We finished the build and we like the forklift quite a lot. It is actually quite a bit larger than I have expected which is a nice thing. I also like the looks of the final model.

I think the tilting mechanism works nice but the transmission of the lifting mechanism is a bit too long. It also doesn't feel perfectly smooth, at least in our model.

2 hours ago, Bartybum said:

The reverse steering makes perfect sense to me. There’s nothing unintuitive about it since it’s quite literally the same as driving a car in reverse.

+1

57 minutes ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

+1

And furthermore if anyone disagrees with me, please know that you’re wrong hehe

41 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

And furthermore if anyone disagrees with me, please know that you’re wrong hehe

I agree with you as well. Nothing wrong with the steering. I don't even think the lift height is a problem, since heavy duty forklifts are built to move cargo around rather than stacking it.