43757528711_44ba932445_b.jpg

REVIEW - 42081 - VOLVO CONCEPT WHEEL LOADER ZEUX

43549478251_bfcb30dbc0_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION
Cranes, forklifts, cars....can we please get something different for crying out loud?! Well....here it is, something different. Of course, one can argue that this is yet another a front loader, and technically they might be right. But it is a unique in a way. Volvo and TLG make the most of their ongoing collaboration and present us the ZEUX, an Autonomous Concept Wheel Loader. An autonomous car (also known as a driverless car, self-driving car, and robotic car) is a vehicle that is capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input (source wikipedia). This boils down to the front loader being capable of navigating without human input, therefore lacking the cabin. In order to perfectly sense the environment, it uses a drone sidekick!

Some people think this thing is as ugly as....an autonomous concept wheel loader, but I will tell you straight away I absolutely love it. I love the concept, I love the looks and I love the fact that TLG and Volvo actually made a Technic set for this vehicle. And that's that for an objective review. Of course, I will try to be objective in my review, but I won't hide the fact that I am very enthusiastic about this model. Let's deploy the drone and....grab a beer, since this thing will be driving itself.

42802598742_34ab81e0c5_o.png

If you see this icon, you can click the image on the left or right side of the image, to cycle through alternative images.

PICTURES
Pictures can be clicked to view hi-res versions. More pictures can be found in my Flickr album.

DISCLAIMER
This set has been provided by the CEE Team of TLG. It's not my goal to promote this set. It's my goal to give you an honest opinion about it. Therefore, the opinion in this review is my own and is in no way linked to TLG.

SET INFORMATION
Number: 42081
Title: Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX
Theme: Technic
Released: 2018
Part Count: 1.167
Box Weight: 2,33 kg
Box Dimensions:  57,5 cm x  37,0 cm x 11,1 cm
Set Price (MSRP): £ 109.99  / $ 139.99 / € 119,99
Price per Part: £ 0.09 / $ 0.12 / € 0,10
Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX
The front shows the model with its flying sidekick. The background shows a pile of sand and behind that a skyline with scryscrapers. Apparently, this vehicle is not only meant to be used in remote mining facilities, but also in urban areas. The bottom right tells us the vehicle measures 59 cm in length. If you don't own the 42030 - Volvo L350F Wheel Loader, but you do want the big bucket, now's your chance. You will get four nice big Claas tires with it, in case you missed those. So, this set might be interesting enough for the unique parts alone.

43477093912_4ff192e9dc_b.jpg

BACKSIDE
The back is divided in two sections, a top section for the main model and a bottom section for the B-model, another Volvo Concept, called the PEGAX. Needles to say, I am more enthusiastic about this alternate model, than the one for the Rough Terrain Crane. I actually quite like this one, but more on that later.

42807479114_fd285fb5b8_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX
This box contains:

• 1x Sealed pack with booklet and sticker sheet
  • 4x Tires
  • 1x Big bucket
  • 1x Bag with rims, actuators and gear rack housing
  • 9x Unnumbered bag

41715839230_aa7db68d14_b.jpg

42807479304_11aa752efc.jpg 42807478794_b34e9d0fe7.jpg

BUCKET AND TIRES
I didn't think to see another set with the big bucket, but here it is. And four Claas tires, which are turning into a common presence in my collection. I absolutely love these bad boys and I sure hope TLG will some day release a smaller version as well.

43477093922_9256e4ba2b.jpg 41715839770_d1492548bf.jpg

RIMS AND ACTUATORS
A bag containing four rims, two linear actuators and a gear rack housing.

43477093612_0cb524b3cb.jpg

BAGS
A total of nine numbered bags.

41715839700_0cb524b3cb_t.jpg 41715839020_7a8d80ea29_t.jpg 43477093442_c22bf372b9_t.jpg 41715839540_a51036c29b_t.jpg 43477093202_d855e5303e_t.jpg 41715839430_9624d33572_t.jpg 43477093042_4fce3042f3_t.jpg 41715839380_bc0c85d259_t.jpg 42807479454_4ff1db65a4_t.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS
I was about to show the pictures of the bucket and rim again here, but that's rather useless, since I already posted them in the content section. Other than those parts, there aren't any new or interesting parts. I can hightlight the propellors, but that's about it.

7 BLADE PROPELLOR
This propellor in flat silver isn't very rare, but you don't see it every day either. Comes in seven other sets.

28661908777_69f7e42497.jpg

PART LIST
Two pages showing the 1.167 parts.

41715839140_7f54c1800e.jpg 41715838860_0aa8d81d92.jpg

THE BUILD
We start by building the front of the chassis. An interesting technique is used near the gear rack. The white part behind the 12T Gear is not a 1L connector. It's actually a 2L Liftarm with Pin and Axle. It rotates between two 5L thin liftarms. I could be mistaken, but it's probably just for proper alignment of the front and rear wheels.

28661909467_22957df51e_b.jpg

Here's a better view of the 2L Liftarm. I should have taken a better picture.

41741253820_3c6557f6b2_b.jpg

REAR
The rear wheels are connected to this assembly.

28661909317_d5058fa548_b.jpg

Both the front and rear wheels don't implement shock absorbers or any other form of suspension. When you operate the final model, you are inclined to push it down to test the suspension. Unfortunately, to no avail. I reckon autonomous vehicles don't need suspension :wink:

41741253600_de4531f731_b.jpg

BOOM
This is the boom which will connect to the bucket. Operated manually via a Linear Actuator. Usually manual operation and LA's don't combine very well, because it makes operating the functions very cumbersome. I wonder if this is the case for this vehicle as well.

28661907217_50cdcf559f_b.jpg

And the boom connected to the chassis.

28661908927_e2f3a672e8_b.jpg

This is actually turning into some sort of vehicle. Feels more like an excavator than a front loader, but that will probably change in a bit.

41741253450_bdfa7f8029_b.jpg

Next we are going to build the.....the.....uhmmm......what is it that we are building here?! It does seem to be sliding out.

41741253130_17ecaf4436_b.jpg

Ahhh here it is, the....uhmm.....the.....counterweight I presume. This entire big block can slide out to compensate for the weight of a filled bucket. T = F x L comes to mind. Looking at the left image, you see three (six, if you count the other side as well) panels with stickers, red and green lights and "chromed" grills. A couple of steps further down the road you will cover them with other panels (image on the right) and you will never see those decorated elements again. Is this a way to sneak in some parts for the B-model, which uses these panels in a more prominent way. Either way, I was hoping to be able to see these panels in the A-model as well.

41741253020_d3b7556648.jpg 28661908707_1781591c86.jpg

Ohh wait, you actually can see the panels inside this big paper weight :wink:

43549477661_47a62e84fd_b.jpg

At the rear you can see the 12T Gear, which is not the Hand of God steering, but it is used to move the weight back and forth.

28661908557_bf86d84199_b.jpg

The rear is almost done now.

41741252700_bf47843743_b.jpg

We only need to add the antenna and the drone.

43549478971_a68a43a542.jpg 28661908297_1076474227.jpg

I am not sure why the drone is positioned like it is, because it is not able to fly off by itself. The antenna is blocking one of the four propellors. I'd say, move it a couple of studs to the front.

43549477491_fe25fc2296_b.jpg

After adding some panels, the wheels and the bucket to the boom, the Zeux is finished. I enjoyed building this vehicle. It's not that different from a regular Front Loader, but it does have some unique elements.

43549478671_d6592cc6e6_b.jpg

The usual leftover parts.

28661908377_8892f73eef.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL
Of course, it is a matter of personal taste, but in my opinion this vehicle looks awesome! I love the Tech-look with the black and yellow color scheme. I also love the orange accents to highlight important and/or moving parts, like railings, footsteps, etc. And I also love that TLG (and Volvo) went all out and said....let's do this! This collaboration is proving to be very fruitful.

28661908007_c441ff3bc3_b.jpg

Here is video with some background information on how this project started. A cool fact is that kids actually helped shape this model and made some design decisions.

The boom has been properly finished with panels at the right place. Feels solid. Operating the functions manually works better than expected. They are actually quite responsive. Here's the list of implemented functions:

• Four wheel steering
  • Raising/lowering the bucket
  • Raising/lowering the boom
  • Raising/lowering the chassis
  • Extending/retracting the counter weight

The three raising/lowering functions are operated by turning the 12T gears, all located near the front wheel.

43549478561_9b23dde7dc_b.jpg

An interesting fact is that the antenna at the back is actually an eye. You would think it is used to look at the environment, but it's primary function is to interact with people walking near the vehicle. By looking at the eye you can see that the vehicle has seen you. The following video gives you some insights:

The back looks even more "Techy" than the front, with the drone and the antenna. Click on the image to raise and lower the chassis.

42802598742_34ab81e0c5_o.png

Granted, the looks of this vehicle are relying heavily on the applied stickers. It will probably still look cool without them, but you would lose lot of the details.

43549478251_bfcb30dbc0_b.jpg

The front loader in attack mode. Ready to strike :laugh:

28661907037_fcde6f308b_b.jpg

There has been some debate about the reason to raise and lower the chassis. At first I agreed that ground clearance was a logical reason, but the axles are still near the ground, so that doesn't make sense. Therefore, I think it has to do with transporting the vehicle. If you put this on a truck it will be quite high. Lowering the chassis will solve this issue. And it can be used to change the angle of the boom without moving it. Not sure if this is an actual purpose, but maybe it doesn't cost as much power, since the arm is longer. Just guessing here.

28661907557_bbd43cd1d0_b.jpg

And a final image from the left rear of the vehicle.

43549478001_49dd6a98be_b.jpg

B-MODEL
I haven't been able to build the B-model, so I have no idea how the build is. However, by looking at the picture I have a pretty good idea. It is an odd looking vehicle, but at least we get to see the six grey panels :wink:

Again, one can discuss the looks. It's not the best looking vehicle I have ever seen, but for an autonomous vehicle, it does what it does, haul a payload. I am not entire sure why this vehicle needs to adjust its ride height. Maybe to prevent from the load falling out of the bed. Anyway, I will most likely get a second copy of this set and build this PEGAX hauler. For me, it's two thumbs up for this alternate model.

41927519310_3c058dcbae_b.jpg

SUMMARY
At the beginning of the review I mentioned that I was very fond of this model. Well, that didn't change upon completing the build. I like everything about it. And I find it particularly interesting, and audacious, that TLG and Volvo actually went ahead with this project. This proves that two major brands working together can accomplish great things. I do understand that not everybody will like this model, but if you are remotely interested in robotics and autonomous vehicles, this should appeal to you.

Then there is the discussion about manually operating the functions on an autonomous vehicle. Some claim that it should have been full RC. But if you think about it a big longer....an autonomous vehicle being remotely controlled?! That doesn't make sense either. The perfect solution would be to integrate Mindstorms, but that's not feasible for a retail set. It will even be challenge to add the functionality, even for the avid Mindstorms builder. There's simply not enough room in the chassis to place all the motors and sensors. All things considered, I am very happy with these manual functions, and the way they operate, even with Linear Actuators.

Not sure whether this is considered a Pro or a Con, but it is worth mentioning that this set doesn't have numbered bags. Both previous Volvo models didn't have numbered bags either. Makes you think that Volvo has something to do with this. For those of you wondering...the MACK did have numbered bags :wink: 

PROS

• Unique vehicle
  • Cool design and color scheme
  • Another chance to get the big bucket (and big Claas tires)
  • Manual functions work properly

CONS

• Lots of stickers
  • No intricate gearbox. Functions are directly connected to the LA's.
  • Oddly placed drone (is this even a Con?!)

SCORE
How do I rate this set?

9 DESIGN
16218294336_cc3a1c982b_m.jpg
I know this is highly subjective, but I love the looks of this vehicle.

8 BUILDING EXPERIENCE
16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg 
Enjoyed the build, but there is no intricate gearbox.

8 FEATURES
Enough features to keep it interesting. 

8 PLAYABILITY
For manually operated LA driven functions, they are surprisingly responsive. 

8 PARTS
Depends on your needs, but another chance to get the big bucket, in case you missed the Volvo L350F.

8 VALUE FOR MONEY
Price per part is not particularly low, but you do get a big bucket and four Claas tires. 

8,2 I'M LOVING IT

FINAL WORDS
One last thing to mention is this page at the end of the instruction manual. It contains some of the prototype (I presume) vehicles which have been created during the design process.

28661908197_2507d97f2f_b.jpg

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

Great review and the usually gorgeous pictures, thank you! Can't wait to have this set, besides 42079 this is my other favorite from the 2HY lineup (obviously for different reasons).

First if all very nice review with lot of great pictures. Thank you for posting site with other prototypes.

My guess is that "counter weight" is a part containing computers that control vehicle and batteries - why else you need cooling system with enormous fans... :wink:

... So it could be multifunctional part of loader.

On 7/31/2018 at 4:24 PM, Jim said:

It contains some of the prototype (I presume) vehicles which have been created during the design process.

And showing parts in colours never released in sets, like yellow Porsche wheel arches ;)

Thank you for the review! 

This is now the only one I’m interested in this year maybe cause I don’t have the bucket or any large LA’s yet. This set looks real nice, I think Volvo is doing great things for LEGO technic with no need to mention colour vomit here. They obviously have a say in the final product! Love those other concept pics too!

EDIT sorry for the large lettering not sure how to change it from my phone wasn’t meant to be different size.

Edited by MangaNOID

Thanks for the review, Jim.

I like the style of the set, and I like the idea behind it. It's cool to see some futuristic Technic sets, like this one or the B-Model of the 42063. Looking at the crazy prototypes seen in the booklet, they could easily do plenty of futuristic vehicles in the future. Speaking of which, the tracked... thing in the bottom right hand corner reminds me of the set 8996.

But from a technical and mechanical standpoint, it's a tad disappointing. It would have been nice to have suspensions, and some more complex features (like a gearbox, or a system to extend the counterweight and raise the chassis at the same time, either with liftarms or by linking the two features with gears); something to make the set more interesting for this price. I think it should be relatively easy to make a smaller version of the set, with, perhaps, more features. Smaller wheels, a smaller bucket, MLAs, that could work. Not saying that I would or could do it, though. :laugh:

As mentioned in my video review posted on July 26th.
The bags are not numbered. Really a mess when all bags are opened :)

5 minutes ago, myHeadz said:

Yeah, but it's only 1167 parts. Doing it with 42070 was an a.r.s.e. :cry_sad:

52 minutes ago, Leewan said:

But from a technical and mechanical standpoint, it's a tad disappointing. It would have been nice to have suspensions, and some more complex features (like a gearbox, or a system to extend the counterweight and raise the chassis at the same time, either with liftarms or by linking the two features with gears); something to make the set more interesting for this price. I think it should be relatively easy to make a smaller version of the set, with, perhaps, more features. Smaller wheels, a smaller bucket, MLAs, that could work. Not saying that I would or could do it, though. :laugh:

That is absolutely true. The functions are rudimentary.

11 minutes ago, myHeadz said:

No problem. Most people will buy it as a parts pack anyway!

11 minutes ago, myHeadz said:

It don't think it's that bad. The part count is relatively low. I have had worse.

3 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

You can't go wrong with black and yellow. I even like the orange as it's used on actual Volvo machinery.

Agreed. At first I had to get used to it, but I quit like it (the orange details).

Good review. I mentioned in my reply for the crane about the colour mess of the chassis. This is much better. I posted earlier about this set that it should include some mindstorms so it could be "autonomous" and carry out a few tasks.

H

12 hours ago, M_longer said:

And showing parts in colours never released in sets, like yellow Porsche wheel arches ;)

You know, in this case it was bad to show the prototypes. The excavators in particular would be way better set. This set feels like a real missed opportunity, both in terms of new colors, and functions. It seems rather empty for such a large set.

Also, why does Lego continue to do non numbered bags for some Technic sets? Why use color barf to make things easier to build, and then use non numbered bags to make things harder?

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

Also, why does Lego continue to do non numbered bags for some Technic sets? Why use color barf to make things easier to build, and then use non numbered bags to make things harder?

I suspect Volvo has a say in this.

@Jim, it is just two things that lately grossed my mind;

- can you link images of rear axle build here (I have trouble with flicker on my mobile phone)

- should here be chance instead of change?

PROS

•  Unique vehicle
  • Cool design and color scheme
  • Another change to get the big bucket (and big Claas tires)
  • Manual functions work properly.

Chance of course. Missed that.

Have you tried the Flickr app? Or just browsing? Try both. Should not be a problem. If it fails I can link later, if I have any.

1 minute ago, Jim said:

Chance of course. Missed that.

Have you tried the Flickr app? Or just browsing? Try both. Should not be a problem. If it fails I can link later, if I have any.

Just browsing, because 4gb ram and 16gb drive have their limitations :wink: so I try to use less Apps as possible. 

That is very nice that you have pinned your review :thumbup:

On 8/1/2018 at 9:02 AM, ShowsOn said:

Wonder if anyone will use parts from 42080 to convert 42081 to powered pneumatic.

You'd still have to get another large cylinder and valve. The Volvo has 3 LA functions so you would need 3 cylinders + 3 valves to carry out the task. The 42080 only has two of each.

11 hours ago, I_Igor said:

can you link images of rear axle build here (I have trouble with flicker on my mobile phone)

I have changed the permissions. Albums were private. That probably caused the issue.