43757528711_44ba932445_b.jpg

REVIEW - 42080 - FOREST MACHINE

43668084772_0ee6c08d50_b.jpg

INTRODUCTION

This has to be the least appealing set of the second wave of 2018 sets, when it comes to aesthetics. Of course, this is a personal preference, but the use of two different shades of green just doesn't cut it (you get it?) for me. And the RRP (recommended retail price) of 129 euro doesn't help either. Basically, this is a rather expensive not so good looking set. So, why am I interested in it anyway?! Because it packs some pneumatic functions, and even a new pneumatic valve (two to be precise). After longer pneumatic cylinders, TLG again listened to certain Eurobricks members hehe and designed new elements to work with the Pneumatic V2 system. And judging by some visible gears here and there, this set probably packs more than meets the eye. Nuff said, let's start our engines and do some logging...sustainable of course!

42802598742_34ab81e0c5_o.png

If you see this icon, you can click the image on the left or right side of the image, to cycle through alternative images.

PICTURES
Pictures can be clicked to view hi-res versions. More pictures can be found in my Flickr album.

DISCLAIMER
This set has been provided by the CEE Team of TLG. It's not my goal to promote this set. It's my goal to give you an honest opinion about it. Therefore, the opinion in this review is my own and is in no way linked to TLG.

SET INFORMATION

Number: 42080
Title: Forest Machine
Theme: Technic
Released: 2018
Part Count: 1.003
Box Weight: 1,67 kg
Box Dimensions: 47,5 cm x 37,0 cm x 6,2 cm
Set Price (MSRP): £  / $ 149.99 / € 129,99
Price per Part: £  / $ 0.15 / € 0,13
Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX

The front shows the model, with quite an impressive logging apparatus. You don't want to get cought in the claws of this bad boy. It will turn you into minced meat in no-time. As I said before, I am not a big fan of the color scheme on this thing, but I am very interested to find out what this thing is packin'. The right side of the box is already showing some spoilers. Not only does it pack a battery box and a large motor, like the Rough Terrain Crane, but it also contains quite a few Pneumatic V2 elements, including two brand new valves. I can only say....whoop whoop :wink:

29644560008_23790706fb_b.jpg

BACKSIDE
Like the Volvo Zeux, the backside is divided in an upper and a lower section. The upper section, for the main model, tells us that this model has a Motorised Pneumatic Crane, Articulated Steering and the cabin with boom can rotate about 270 degrees. The bottom section shows the B-model, a Log Loader. At this point, I am somewhat indifferent about it. It utilizes the Pneumatic and Power Functions elements to have some functionality, but it seems to be more or less the same as the main model.

41707714100_7d53c4c559_b.jpg

CONTENTS OF THE BOX

The box contains:

• 1x Sealed pack with booklet and sticker sheet
  • 1x Bag with tires and large motor
  • 1x Bag with pneumatic hoses
  • 7x Numbered bag

BOOKLET AND STICKER SHEET
The sealed bag with booklet and sticker sheet.

42610970505_90ae891272_b.jpg

BOOKLET
A single booklet with instructions for the main model. 

29644559528_0d07678853_b.jpg

STICKER SHEET
The sticker sheet with various stickers.

29644559428_834213c30a_b.jpg

TIRES AND LARGE MOTOR
The bag containing eight balloon tires and the large motor.

41707712960_0b4b00fc2f.jpg

POWER FUNCTIONS ELEMENTS
As usual the battery box comes unbagged, while the large motor resides in its own bag within the bigger bag.

41707713770_dd233b5efa.jpg 41707712030_de809c7e40.jpg

PNEUMATIC HOSES
Pneumatic hoses, to go with the cylinders. How convenient.

29644559378_6fcbe93c84_b.jpg

BAGS
And of course, the numbered bags. Seven in total.

42610972345_4c3b2609ab_t.jpg 29644559028_a57fc38596_t.jpg 42610972185_ea3e5908e2_t.jpg 41707713520_39eaa94cd5_t.jpg 42610971895_984369cedc_t.jpg 41707713250_8349dc9ef4_t.jpg 42610971735_43b809302a_t.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS

This set does come with some interesting parts.

PNEUMATIC PARTS
First of all the new pneumatic valves. These are new molds and are an improvement over the older ones. We will see why later in this review. This set also contains two of the new V2 longer pneumatic cylinders and a small cylinder. I forgot to include the blue pump.

42610970695_816819d40e.jpg 43468649052_00cdc7a63f.jpg

TIRES
Eight balloon tires. No sure why I am highlighting these, because they are quite common. Only 41 sets have used these in the past :wink:

29644559298_4f0d2296dd_b.jpg

RIMS
These rims aren't very rare either, but in this color you will only find them in three sets. Flat silver if I am not mistaken.

29644558878_1c418d328c_b.jpg

BLADE AND SPIKES
Here are two odd-looking fellas. One of 'em is a Circular Saw Blade, found in lots of themes like Ninjago, Power Miners, etc and the other is a 2x2 Round Brick with Spikes. The round brick with spikes has been used before, but this is the only set which has them in Yellow.

42610970885_2f46c03ac6.jpg 41707711860_0436c600e9.jpg

PANELS
I almost missed these ones, but upon building the model, I suddenly realised that these panels might be new in green. And indeed they are.

28660852167_ffebded4df.jpg 28821294127_a4df5f167a.jpg

These small panels are new in Lime Green.

43757370471_9ebd6c74b6.jpg

PART LIST

The part list showing 1003 parts.

41707711540_1b858a84bd.jpg 41707712260_72d790ef8a.jpg

THE BUILD

The build starts with the front steering linkage.

43500944142_1e4868faeb_b.jpg

Here you can see the new valves attached to the back of the cabin. The main difference with the old ones is the axle going through the valve. This means that they can be operated using an axle (most likely with a gear attached). This gives us lots of opportunities for better pneumatic models. Like the old valve, it isn't very easy to switch. This must be due to the nature of the valve, but there is quite some resistance when you try to switch the valve.

28660852597_63228da146_b.jpg

The new valve also implements the slightly smaller ends, to make it easier to attach the hoses.

43500943872_390aff5f97_b.jpg

The battery box, motor and valve are neatly packed in the rear compartment of the vehicle. The rear is connected to the front using thew new large turntable.

43500943372_0ea8087bfe_b.jpg

Both rear axles have pendular suspension. Albeit a very basic implementation, but it's worth mentioning.

43500943592_a07c4c2759_b.jpg

At this stage the front and back of the vehicle are done. The rear can be opened and closed to easily replace the batteries in the box.

28660852307_1451802181_b.jpg

After building the crane, and some added details (two logs, a chainsaw, a small log and some sort of rest for the log) the model is finished! To be honest; I am not completely sure what to think of it. Still looks a bit messy to me, but maybe the functions can compensate for that.

42999192434_c88bb654c5_b.jpg

COMPLETED MODEL

Here you can see the completed model, with the added extra's. You can click on the image to see alternate versions of the boom position.

42802598742_34ab81e0c5_o.png

The picture below clearly shows how big the head on the crane is. It packs the grabbers/grinders and the saw blade. The weight is rather high, especially when you look at the size of the crane boom. It's not a real problem for the crane itself, but it does tend to get top heavy and it can easily tip over the vehicle over when moved to the side.

42999192564_450085574e_b.jpg

These semi-new macaroni parts sure are popular. They come in every Technic set, don't they?! I do love 'em btw, so keep 'em coming.

43668000792_a5787f1a92_b.jpg

And one final image from the rear. It is interesting, and to some even useful, that TLG included two new green panels (not counting the lime panels) and green parts, but I think this vehicle would have looked better with a dark bluish grey chassis, and more lime green parts for the rear compartment.  

43668000552_eb7977d69b_b.jpg

FUNCTIONS AND FEATURES

Below are two videos demonstrating the functions. Both videos are basically the same (take 1 and take 2), but I figured I might as well include the both, so you will see the grabbers work at least once :wink:

I have said this before in previous reviews, but to me, Pneumatic models often are proofs of concept, instead of actual working models. Admittedly, the big cylinders work like a charm. These have enough power to do the heavy lifting. But the small cylinder simply doesn't have enough power to operate simple functions. As you can see in the video, I sometimes have to help the grabbers near the saw blade to contract. Besides that, it takes a long time before they open and close. They are not very responsive.

The valves are very hard to operate. You really need to apply a lot of force to the 12T gear, which makes you wonder whether the axle isn't breaking. I love the new design, but operating them by gear/axle doesn't feel safe or comfortable. I'd rather use the lever.

The pump is located in the rear of the vehicle. When it's turned on, that part of the vehicle tends to move a lot. You can see it shaking a lot. This is caused by the lack of weight, but the suspension doesn't help either.

The crane is rather heavy, so when you rotate it, the vehicle is bound to tip over. This is partially caused by the suspension and partially because the head of the machine is too heavy.

All in all I am afraid that the functions don't compensate for the overall look of the machine. I really appreciate what TLG has tried to do with this set/model, but the execution is not that succesful. A full blown Forest Machine might have been a better choice, because the appearance and functionality of this model doesn't justify the price of the set.

B-MODEL

42840460955_796d3814b1_b.jpg

The alternate model isn't very exciting, an eight wheeled vehicle with a pneumatic crane. At a glance I had to look twice to see it's a different vehicle. It looks poorly executed and the placement of the battery box is rather awkward. It's not the worst B-model *cough* 42082 *cough*, but I do think it could have been better, if the designer hadn't focus on a vehicle with eight wheels and a crane.

SUMMARY

Before building this model I was hoping that the functions would compensate for the poor exterior of the model. Unfortunately, they don't. There are simply too much negative aspects to make me enthusiastic about this set. I would think twice, or thrice, before forking out 129 euro for a couple of new panels and some Pneumatic parts. Even at a decent discount I think it's better to order these Pneumatic parts via S&H or Bricklink.

PROS

• New pneumatic valves
  • Decent selection of other pneumatic parts
  • Three panels in new colors

CONS

• Doesn't look good, especially two different green colors
  • Small pneumatic cylinder doesn't have enough power
  • Valves are hard to operate
  • Vehicle tends to tip over
  • Rear sections shakes a lot when pump is turned on
  • Suspension makes it wobbly/instable
  • Price

SCORE

How do I rate this set?

6 DESIGN
16056649378_cd53c51c69_m.jpg
Color scheme and overall design is so so.

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE
15624316853_d44ef20b33_m.jpg 
Kind of okay, but there is much fiddling going on.

7 FEATURES
There are enough features, but they don't work very well.

6 PLAYABILITY
Functions should work better to improve playability.

7 PARTS
If you are into Pneumatic models (or MOCs), this is a nice parts pack.

6 VALUE FOR MONEY
At 13 cents a piece, this set is rather expensive.

6,5 MEDIOCRE MACHINE

Thanks you for reading this review. All pictures can be found here.

Man, this might be the first pneumatic set i won't buy since my dark ages. :sceptic:

How about the new valves? Do they allow easier proportional control than the old ones?

Just now, schraubedrin said:

Man, this might be the first pneumatic set i won't buy since my dark ages. :sceptic:

How about the new valves? Do they allow easier proportional control than the old ones?

Hmmm that's a good question. To be honest, I haven't really tried. It's very hard to be precise, with the resistance. I will need to test with the levers.

A lot of people don't like this set, but I really do. The 2 shades of green aren't bad, and the functions are pretty cool.

And, to add to the ruggedness, the whole rear shakes when the pump is on! Gives the illusion of a seriously OP engine.

Just now, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

And, to add to the ruggedness, the whole rear shakes when the pump is on! Gives the illusion of a seriously OP engine.

Or an engine about to explode. *huh*

This set really feels like a missed opportunity, and the B model, if implemented better, would have been a far better set. Also, the PF really adds nothing, and the colors are horrendous.

This could be only set I buy this year, mostly because of some parts I still don't have, and of cours, because of new pneumatics valves. I also like that green color parts. Pitty, that they didn't put black 5x7 frame in this set, but grey one.

Well I love this set overall (no surprise there!). Yeah the colour choices are.....questionable, but the design is fairly clean, it doesnt have the Swiss cheese effect of 42082 as pointed out by sariel in the comments of his 42082 video review post on Eurobricks. Of course I would say that it mimics the way real life machines work better than any other summer set this year, because it does, which is what I like about it most, but I also find it fun to play with as the motorised functions work with decent speed (42082 take note) and the controls aren't directly connect to the function being operated (42081 take note!) and are fairly responsive. I also found the build to be excellent. Very quickly you are building the front pendular steered axle, the swiftly on to the next interesting bit and so on. There's never a moment where you feel like you're endlessly just joining pins and connectors as it's relatively low piece count is used very efficiently. Your not building, or paying for parts just for the sake of building/paying for parts. The build really reminded me of the old school approach of having a more skeletal frame, as opposed to the condensed mess of asymetrical uglyness as seen in the base of 42082. For all the weird colour choices 42080 has, at least you know what's what. The chassis is clearly regular green and most of the parts used there are that colour, so it looks nice and clean. Looking on the inside of 42082, it's an ugly mess, what is chassis, what is gearbox, what colour is it even supposed to be, and is so much convolution really necessary? So if you feel 42082 has too many parts for what it does, if you feel it could have been done with far less, then 42080 is the kind of design and build you're after. I can't argue that 42082 isn't good value, it's fantastic value for money, IF you are looking to expand your collection. However if you have a fair amount of Technic already, well it's still fantastic value who am I kidding! However I would argue that 42080 is not too bad value either. I've always said that price per piece is a terrible measure of value. Is 2000 connector pegs for £50 100 times better value than 20 buggy motors for £50? 42080 has 2 large cyclinders, 1 small cylinder, several pneumatic t pieces and connectors, the new improved valves, pneumatic hoses, 2 large turntables, L motor, pneumatic motor pump, studded beams in white (lord knows how our old 8480s could do with some new beams!), lots of those new technic macaroni pieces (or whatever they are called) in pearl dark grey, 8 wheels in pearl dark grey and panels in colours that are either hard to find or new to this set. Ide take that over a set with twice the number of parts but only half the good stuff any day. 

I think the macaroni pieces are a bit overdone here, and I get the feeling the designer (Alfred Pedersen?) just went nuts with them. Plus they're in a colour found nowhere else in the set. Maybe a few more parts in dark metallic grey would balance them out a bit.

Very nice review as usually :thumbup: (they all are) but what is this machine supposed to be? feller buncher or a harvester? :wacko: the feller head looks to be a mix of both, Feller buncher normaly uses arms to grab around the tree, and a harvester has rotating wheels mounted different, but either way its a very cool looking model 

I really like your point of view @allanp, both on this set and the crane 42082. You raise very good points about this set feeling a bit more "old school". For 1000 parts, it seems to be rather functional and has the right complexity, mixing pneumatics and mechanics, and a nifty steering system as a bonus. Thanks for sharing your view :)

3 hours ago, GoldVillage said:

Very nice review as usually :thumbup: (they all are) but what is this machine supposed to be? feller buncher or a harvester? :wacko: the feller head looks to be a mix of both, Feller buncher normaly uses arms to grab around the tree, and a harvester has rotating wheels mounted different, but either way its a very cool looking model 

It's definitely a fusion of those two machines, with some original design (the cab placement for example) thrown in. The sheer innovation and boldness of 42080 are certainly points in its favour.

Edited by Maaboo35

Thanks for your effort making these detailed reviews, Jim. Got around to order this and the forklift today, there shall be building!

That's thumbs up for you, Jim, taking so much work for such a ... B-model. :grin:

Pro:

• At first glance: Yeah - it's got pneumatics!

Con:

• The overall look - the side-view of the A-model's front cabin is really awkward
  • the colors (THE COLORS!) red, orange, yellow, light green, green, azure, blue, white, light grey, dark grey, black - and everything can be seen in the final model! *huh*:sick:
  • the playability: you named all the technical problems, but besides that the cart isn't really able to cut the wood at all!
  • pneumatics! (see above) Wouldn't have actuators and motors been a better choice for accurate handling?
  • the price tag for all that!  :hmpf_bad:

I really wonder what the concept behind this vehicle is. :look:

I wonder how a set like this gets past TLG's product quality and validation tests?   There appear to be a number of issues with the functions which could well be disappointing for many LEGO customers and builders.  

I just completed the 42080 Forester yesterday and I have  few observations.

I am not sure why so many people are so annoyed by the two colors of green. I think that the two-tone color scheme really adds to the looks of the overall model. I believe a single color would look rather boring.

I enjoyed the build experience, there was a number of very interesting subassemblies along the way.

A couple of things i liked was the steering, which was very unique, the only thing lacking here would be a little bit of friction as the steering was rather loose.

The cabin rotation is very nice it could use a little friction as well.

The routing of the pneumatic tubing was very easy and effective.

The actuation of the pneumatic cylinders for the main boom is very good, I really like the new pneumatic valves as they help to get the speed good for raising, lowering and stop/holding the boom.

My favorite part of the model is also my least favorite part. The grabber was really a very interesting build, it shows such promise.  However the small pneumatic cylinder just does not heave enough power to activate the mechanism properly, in fact at least half the time it refuses to open or close. The small cylinder is fine for things like a couple of pieces required for a bucket, but not enough power for all the parts in the grabber assembly. I believe a little bigger cylinder or maybe two (2) of the small cylinders in parallel would have made the grabber work properly.

Overall I really like the set, mainly because I enjoyed the build experience as for play value, I think it is lacking in the looseness in the steering and cabin rotation and most importantly the function (or non-function) of the grabber assembly.

Andy D

Andy, mate. You forgot the best part: the saw! Oh. Right. :hmpf_bad:

Anyhoo, I think the cutting action so nonexistent here could be possible with something a little more accurate for this type of machine; namely this part. Actual harvesters have such a blade that flicks laterally and slices the log. TLG could have used a gear action that does the same thing using the aforementioned part instead of the Ninjago/System saw.

Funny to hear that people are having an issue with the small cylinder. Sariel's video makes it look so smooth! :sceptic:

I can’t complain about this set at all.    I got mine with the five finger discount.  So maybe I’ll return again to the store where I got it at and treat myself to another one.   

So wait your admitting on the World Wide Web, you stole it, hmm whatever floats your boat, and you are going to lift another one, wow sounds like fun. 

1 hour ago, phil9546 said:

I can’t complain about this set at all.    I got mine with the five finger discount.  So maybe I’ll return again to the store where I got it at and treat myself to another one.   

Anyway I thank you for the great review, as always Jim. I do like this set but not as it is, I plan on getting it and modding the hell out of it, probably change its total look and do the functions slightly different. It does seem a tad overpriced but not so much I avoid it. I do like getting the pneumatics and large motor included, I don't care so much for having to buy another PF set just to make it work, which would have a medium motor anyway. Looking forward to getting this set but I am in no hurry, I'm sure it will be around for a little while, maybe pick it up on double VIP points deal. 

Edited by Johnny1360

6 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Andy, mate. You forgot the best part: the saw! Oh. Right. :hmpf_bad:

Anyhoo, I think the cutting action so nonexistent here could be possible with something a little more accurate for this type of machine; namely this part. Actual harvesters have such a blade that flicks laterally and slices the log. TLG could have used a gear action that does the same thing using the aforementioned part instead of the Ninjago/System saw.

Funny to hear that people are having an issue with the small cylinder. Sariel's video makes it look so smooth! :sceptic:

The large saw blade being just a decoration and not working doesn't bother me any more than a non- functioning minifig scale chain saw, just decorations which are OK with me.

As for Sariel's luck with the cylinder, well, some people are just lucky.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I've just learned that this should have been labeled a Feller Buncher instead.

For those who may find the names confusing, here's a distinction: 

A harvester is more complicated than a feller-buncher because it does more tasks. This single machine is doing work previously done by three machines: feller-buncher, delimber, and slasher. And it’s doing all of it in the woods, which is one of the main reasons that many foresters and landowners prefer this technology – the tops and limbs stay in place, cushioning the forest floor, and the landing can be considerably smaller because it doesn’t need to accommodate so much equipment.

A proper Forest Harvester should have the attachment head of the Ponsse Scorpion, with delimbing rollers and a small saw. What this set has is instead grapple arms and a circular saw blade, the kinds of things that would appear in a Feller Buncher.

Kết quả hình ảnh cho feller buncher

So this 42080 is a Ponsse Scorpion body with a Feller Buncher attachment, and is called a Forest Machine (or still called a Forest Harvester in some countries). What a jumbled mess, and what a misnomer.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Fun fact: the secondary clamps on the buncher head are called accumulators. They hold already-felled trunks while the machine cuts down more trees (hence "feller-buncher"). Would've been cool to see something like that on 42080, given that we get two trunks.