Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

[COR ML] Mesabi Landing Gamma School

After setting up his mining company near Mesabi Landing, Cecil Fernsby moved on to a project that he had long planned, but was so far unable to realise. In his opinion, his idea was pure genius - the Corrington authorities refused to finance it so far though. All he wanted to do was set up a new kind of school, how hard could it be? The concept of his "Gamma School" was built on three basic points:

1. First, better funding for teachers, to attract bright graduates.
  2. Two, increased facilities for children, especially playing fields.
  3. Three, if any child misbehaves three times, they are blasted into the oean, with the parents provided with a lovely fruit basket, by way of consolation or celebration, depending on the child. Discipline is key!

Cecil Fernsby - often called "Lord Buckethead" for his love of a particular headdress - was completely oblivious as to why nobody was supporting this revolutionary system. Until now...

It was not before long that Lord Buckethead wrote yet another letter to the local authorities, explaining his idea once again. This time though, it ended up in the hands of Lady Agnes Mesabi - who was enthusiastic about it! The WTC would fund the first Gamma School, and actively promote its concept in the future.

The first students were taken in not a long time ago, and by now the school was buzzing with the energy of young people eager to learn, and childs laughter on the playground.

Spoiler

Fgh7eAv.jpg

The secondary class - older students, already beyond the basics - were sitting in class taking notes from the blackboard. Todays topic was the Juniper War, and the heroic deeds of Count Mesabi in those days.

5M8WCTZ.jpg

So1cmbI.jpg.tjsGDTZ.jpg

This was on the first floor of the Gamma School, together with a lounge for group studies. A piano was necessary for musical classes: chanties from all over the Brick Seas were of course part of the curriculum!

wjoieMp.jpg

APeB4hY.jpg

Later that day, they would have more practical subjects.

Work in the garden was an important part of school life, where currently pumpkins, potatoes, onions and turnips were grown...

azwMFAV.jpg

tDoNjQj.jpg

... while the expertise in all kinds of weapons always had practical lessons as well. Handling a cannon is essential knowledge!

VhsGftz.jpg

The vegetables harvested in the school garden were of course prepared, cooked and eaten by the teachers and students. The basement had a big kitchen, to teach basic and advanced cooking skills as early on as possible. Today, a vegetable stock had to be prepared in advance by one of the teachers:

hL2pZA4.jpg.eaSYWPO.jpg

1qPHUgM.jpg

Meanwhile the first class, not yet required to wear the school uniforms, were on the big playground outside:

xXlU9ks.jpg.Z523Ttr.jpg

zBh7gU6.jpg

Every now and then a student was unable to keep up with the standards set up by Lord Buckethead. Rules had to be upheld though, and using the giant cannon on the roof shot such troublemakers far into the open sea. In this particular case, a mother seemed to be quite happy about it, leaving the Gamma School with a basket full of fine fruit:

loF7Yr6.jpg

====================================================================================

Licensed as large education for @Lord Buckethead in Mesabi Landing.

This build is the prize for winning "Best Build" in my Merrynight Mystery Minichallenge. The inspiration came from the real life counterpart to LBs nickname, in particular his take on schooling, which originally states this:

Instead of Theresa May's commitment to bring back grammar schools, Buckethead would build "gamma" schools founded on three principles: "One, better funding for teachers, to attract bright graduates. Two, increased facilities for children, especially playing fields. Three, if any child misbehaves three times, they are blasted into deep space, with the parents provided with a lovely fruit basket, by way of consolation or celebration, depending on the child. Discipline is key".

You will find the three principles included in the build and its story - with the slight change that unruly kids are shot into the ocean, not deep space. :pir-grin:

While the idea came up pretty fast, the build itself took what felt forever. LB agreed to lift the original deadline (April) in exchange for a large property (instead of medium), and I will of course pay him the DB the property would have earned him in the meantime (i.e. the income equivalent to May, June and July). I am just happy this is finally finished - and I will not hand out this kind of reward again. Lesson learned! :look:

A series of wideshots and birdeye views from the different levels:

Spoiler

wTmg4dv.jpg

RlQOnPW.jpg

VP9bX1v.jpg

EZXqy0h.jpg

QGCDbWh.jpg

All levels can be taken apart for easy access to every part of the interior. The man building can also be opened up:

VKX6TPj.jpg

Other than the long delay, I am very happy with how it all turned out. I consider this one of my best builds so far, and I hope people enjoy it for what it is: a mildly pirate-themed, not so serious interpretation of school. The concept fits Mesabi Landing perfectly in my opinion, and I plan to use the teachers, students and the general idea again in the future.

As always, C&C are appreciated.

Edited by Drunknok

Your creations just keep getting better and better!  This is really nice, with the details like the tools in the shed and markings on the blackboard.  Great job making it open too!

Great details, probably one of the most detailed schools we have seen yet! The interior especially is great but one of the biggest highlights for me is the use of the turntable piece over the door way - it looks really good. Great job!

On 7/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

This is great Drunknok! The three floors are nicely detailed and I like that cannon on the roof!

Thank you. The big cannon is actually from a TLBM set - the colours fit Corrington, and it was just the right amount of "insane" for this build. :pir-grin:

On 7/30/2018 at 6:10 PM, Kai NRG said:

Your creations just keep getting better and better!  This is really nice, with the details like the tools in the shed and markings on the blackboard.  Great job making it open too!

Thanks, glad you like it.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:26 PM, Ayrlego said:

Great details, probably one of the most detailed schools we have seen yet! The interior especially is great but one of the biggest highlights for me is the use of the turntable piece over the door way - it looks really good. Great job!

Thank you. I have used the turntable pieces for decoration before - easy to use, still looking good.

I missed this build when you published it, but this is great! It's incredible how many details you included in a 32x32 (plus garden) build. The best touch is the blackboard with white lines, but also kitchen and garden are remarkable!

I don't know why, I'm not elated by the idea of Corries learning how to use a cannon since childwood, but probably it's only because I'm a narrow-minded Oleander! :look:

Fantastic build, @Drunknok! You really outdid yourself with this one. The blackboard with the writing is an excellent design that I'll have to copy. The amount of detail is great, and surprising for such a small build. And the cannon perfectly fits my opinion about Mesabi Landing. Great Job, and keep up the Excellent Work!