BenderBrau

Storage in UK

Question is only for UK based FOLs here. Home Bargains used to have these storage boxes with 24 compartments for 2,49 (there were other sizes as well, but these were the biggest at 35x22x5 cm), which is way cheaper than similar products on Amazon and such. They aren't perfect of course, the plastic it's made of isn't of the best quality (probably, I'm not an expert) and the separators slide out very easily, but they have one big advantage - slightly rounded bottom which makes it super easy to take parts out of them an prevents smaller bits from being stuck in the corners.

I have 20 of these and I need more as I'm in the process of sorting and rearranging my collection, but I can't find them anymore in my local HBs. My question to you is, could you help me find an alternative?

@BenderBrau, I'm not sure what the HB storage boxes are like, but have you tried Really Useful brand boxes? That's what I mostly use. They come in a variety of sizes, are stackable and robust.

I'm aware of the brand, looked at their site, but it's not as cheap as I'd like it to be. Also the're mainly making bigger drawers and boxes, which I don't have space for. I'm looking for something like this

Have you tried B&M? They have a few types of screw sorter boxes that don't cost too much. 

1 hour ago, Peppermint_M said:

Have you tried B&M? They have a few types of screw sorter boxes that don't cost too much. 

I'll be sure to check. I was there recently, didn't see any sorting boxes but perhaps I missed an aisle, B&M's layout is a bloody mess

Just now, BenderBrau said:

B&M's layout is a bloody mess

Aye, they are most often in what appears to be DIY, but nowhere is consistent. 

They are a variety of sizes too, so you can go from small to actually rather large depending on needs. The boxes have clear lids and the kind I like to get have got yellow clips and slot deviders.

Have you tried Screwfix, B&Q, Wickes & Homebase? They all sell the kind of box you're looking for at pretty good prices.

Edited by grum64

37 minutes ago, Peppermint_M said:

They are a variety of sizes too, so you can go from small to actually rather large depending on needs. The boxes have clear lids and the kind I like to get have got yellow clips and slot deviders.

If you're talking about these, I was generally avoiding this type of boxes, they're unnecessarily heavy for Lego. I bought a set of three from Amazon a while ago and I regret that purchase.

Although I must admit, 4 quid for quite a big box is not too shabby. I hope I find it in my B&M, I may buy one to see if I like it better from the ones I have. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, grum64 said:

Have you tried Screwfix? They have a lot of the kind of box you're looking for. A quick search found this. 

That's a really nice box, haven't seen this one yet. Shame about fixed compartments, but the price is great for the size. Thank You!

I have quite a few of the Home Bargains boxes that you mentioned for Lego and other things. They do seem to run out of stock occasionally but get them in again after a few months.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:18 AM, BenderBrau said:

Question is only for UK based FOLs here. Home Bargains used to have these storage boxes with 24 compartments for 2,49 (there were other sizes as well, but these were the biggest at 35x22x5 cm), which is way cheaper than similar products on Amazon and such. They aren't perfect of course, the plastic it's made of isn't of the best quality (probably, I'm not an expert) and the separators slide out very easily, but they have one big advantage - slightly rounded bottom which makes it super easy to take parts out of them an prevents smaller bits from being stuck in the corners.

I have 20 of these and I need more as I'm in the process of sorting and rearranging my collection, but I can't find them anymore in my local HBs. My question to you is, could you help me find an alternative?

I use the same ones.  They don't always carry them but they are not discontinued.  I bought a few just recently.  Just keep checking back. 

I haven't seen the same ones anywhere else sadly, and the next best alternative that I have seen is 3 times the price.

3 hours ago, Giantorange said:

They don't always carry them but they are not discontinued

Well that's a relief. Finding ideal storing solution is truly problematic, right now I'm using four multi drawer cabinets (all different, to keep things interestng), few bigger drawers, lots of food containers, resealable bags, ice cream tubs and smaller Lego boxes - simply put it's a mess and I want to somehow mke sense of all of it, if that's even possible :sceptic:.