BrickbyBrickTechnic

[WIP] Rough terrain crane [Finished though delayed]

Hey everyone,

After reading some of the comments in the 42082 topic, and now that I was not sure what to build (and don't like the 42082 very much), I decided to attempt my own rough terrain crane to see if I could bring in more functionality at around 1/2 the pieces. The model will still be quite big, though the amount of function I can get working needs to be maximized in order to call this project a success. Here's what I want to include:

• Steering with 3 modes
  • Pendular axles
  • Drivetrain with piston engine
  • Outriggers (extending with PF, lowering manual)
  • Superstructure rotation
  • 2 winches (1 primary, 1 secondary, you know the drill)
  • Boom lifting
  • 2 stage extending (I hope)

Of course, a concept is nothing without progress. So here's some, an outrigger box, an axle, and a chassis sketch with the 3 steering modes.

20180728_16220420180728_16221720180729_092829

Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thank you for reading!

BbBT

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

Great to see a project underway! Lots of talk and no building from some quarters!! :head_back:

I know 42009's outriggers were hated, but i did like the 2-stage functionality... if you squeezed that in too?!! 

Great start, and it looks far better than my sorry attempt at the same kind of vehicle.

How much of it is going to be PF-driven?

Steering will cause you a headache, you need to use lift arm 3 X 3 l shape because there is 3 studs between axle and steering rod...

Steering will cause you a headache, you need to use lift arm 3 X 3 l shape because there is 3 studs between axle and steering rod...

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

Great to see a project underway! Lots of talk and no building from some quarters!! :head_back:

I know 42009's outriggers were hated, but i did like the 2-stage functionality... if you squeezed that in too?!! 

Thanks so much! I'm not sure about the 2-stage functionality... I don't have any of those red 8t gears from 42009 or 16L axles... have you seen any other solutions?

1 hour ago, suffocation said:

Great start, and it looks far better than my sorry attempt at the same kind of vehicle.

How much of it is going to be PF-driven?

Thanks! Your crane looks pretty good, I'd say. There will be 6 power functions (that's the goal, at least).

1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Very interesting! Nice job with the variable steering links.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

You're right, though for now I will hold off on changing it just in case that whole region changes. Everything is conceptual right now.

What colour are you planning to use for this thing? I'd suggest blue, considering there's a wide variety of panels. You could even do two-tone.

Hi! Good luck in building! You started an achievement! It will be interesting to compare with the 42082 :thumbup:

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

You're right, though for now I will hold off on changing it just in case that whole region changes. Everything is conceptual right now.

OK :thumbup:

I know how good your past models have been, I have high hopes for this one! I wouldn't doubt that you will have a more functional model than 42082 while still being comparable to the look. 

Im definitely following this one!! 

2 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

What colour are you planning to use for this thing

I noticed its mainly black and grey so far... you need some orange and green in there! Its the modern way!! :sick:

(only joking, i'm not the biggest fan of some of the colours in 42082, but understand reasons behind it... and its only a minor thing!!)

2 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

have you seen any other solutions

not really, sorry.. just thought a little nod towards the much derided 42009 would be nice! And i am a fan of that particular function, it was the best bit of the build for me by far..

46 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Have you seen sariels idea for 2 stage outriggers? It does not use either of the parts you do not have. 

https://goo.gl/images/fF7cp6

Oh my god, thank you! That is something I can work with. I can't guarantee motorization of this due to the steering system taking up so much room, but I'll try! As well...

3 hours ago, aminnich said:

I know how good your past models have been, I have high hopes for this one! I wouldn't doubt that you will have a more functional model than 42082 while still being comparable to the look. 

...thank you so much! I'm glad you are interested and believe in the project.

4 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hi! Good luck in building! You started an achievement! It will be interesting to compare with the 42082 :thumbup:

Thanks! That's the part I'm anxious about :grin:

5 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

What colour are you planning to use for this thing? I'd suggest blue, considering there's a wide variety of panels. You could even do two-tone.

The current plan is... red. I don't have blue and I recently used up my white & orange (you'll see where tomorrow, in fact).

Seeing @Sariel's review confirmed my thoughts on 42082. I saw it in true action for the first time, and I believe the only impressive fctor about it is the size. 

So with that, I tell you that this update brings good news. All the mechanism (and by that I mean 3 steering modes, suspension, drivetrain, and 1st stage outriggers) are successfully integrated into the chassis. Therefore, this project is not doomed to fail anymore.

I tried for a whole day to implement the second stage somehow, but the concept which amminich provided me work when you have a lot of space. This was no the case for the model. Here are pictures:

*Note that the chassis hasn't been reinforced yet. Its part count sits at around 600-800 pieces, so it will not go over 1750 as it probably does in 42082.

20180801_08231420180801_08225720180801_08230920180801_082300

That's all for now. Stay tuned for the start of the superstructure!

Can you please show us your solution of 3 mode steering?

Thanks

6 hours ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Sure, I'll post some pictures with the next update.

Thanks

Are the shock absorbers mounted to a fixed point or to a pivot on the axle? if you keep them mounted to a fixed point they'll always be under tension and you'll get very little travel. I'd also recommend switching to yellow shocks, otherwise the model is likely to careen to one side whenever negotiating a curve.

1 hour ago, BrickbyBrickTechnic said:

Potentially. I'll see what happens when I have some superstructure done and make changes as needed.

Great! Keep following your challenge!:thumbup:

Time for an important update: the gearbox in the superstructure as well as a layout of the crane is now finished. 

I used 3 interesting things in here:

1. Use of both a multidirectional and a regular gearbox. The multidirectional box is for the winches, and the regular box for slewing, crane extending & lifting, and outriggers.
  2. A 2-speed multidirectional gearbox with the new 20z clutches, so the winches have more speed going down and more torque going up.
  3. A custom actuator using a gear rack and worm gear.

Pictures:

20180803_09420320180803_09425920180803_09423420180803_094240

That's it. Stay tuned for more in 5-ish days!

@I_Igor , sorry, I forgot your pictures. I'll upload them as soon as I can.

No problem, I envy you on 20 tooth gears with clutch...I need one for my Fastrac, but no one here has it in offer jet, so I redesign Unimog instead...

17 hours ago, I_Igor said:

No problem, I envy you on 20 tooth gears with clutch...I need one for my Fastrac, but no one here has it in offer jet, so I redesign Unimog instead...

Great. Those clutch gears are really useful so far.