Sign in to follow this  
JDL1967

Hot weather and building lego

In a lot of parts in the world, is is hot. Here in the south of the Netherlands, we had 38°C in tge shade. I have some ideas for new builds, but my lego/hobby room feels like a sauna. How do you all go along with your lego hobby? I look for cooling in the swimmingpool. I cant get myself to build anything. Still, here in my own and in lots of other FB groups i see one build afther another. Maybe some have airco or colder wheater to build with lego. It would be nice to hear how other members here will handle that. 

Build LEGO early in the morning or later at night I would say ;)

And... maybe time for lots of these?

lego-ice-cubes-600x400.jpg

Google lego ice cube molds ... Several vendors sell them .... As to your original question.   Most of my lego is semi transportable .... So if im working with particular colors I drag the organiser to the living room lol ... Unfortunately you have to be able to pick up the "mess" unless you have an understanding partner, are single,or have no young children.  I also make several trips back to the lego room lol.  But lucky for me the partner in crime likes legos (kinda got her hooked)

Yesterday is was 47° C here, but that's normal for this time of year so thankfully we have efficient and cold air conditioning.  When we lived without that luxury (but in more reasonable "hot" seasons, not summer in PHX) the best we could do was ensure we had airflow.  Fans definitely helped, and on particularly hot days I would sometimes do a makeshift evaporative cooler - basically just drape some damp cheesecloth over the front or rear grill of the fan to drop the temperature a few degrees.  Didn't really cool things off that much, but it made it more bearable.

22 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Another option might be to try building without clothes on. 

but be careful not to get anything pinched between bricks, you thought stepping on a lego brick was painful

A thousand fans shall be your friends, and if you cannot make way for that many, then perhaps an open window may help...

I've personally found that even one fan makes a big change - I've mainly been sorting the add-on to my collection and setting up the new layout of my room these past few weeks,
but I feel like a fan should come in handy once I get to building again as well. Wear as little as you can stand and you should be set.
I also live in The Netherlands so I can relate to those recent days that seem too hot for even those solutions, though. So I try to keep going and hope things will cool off a little, soon...

An open window only makes sense from late evening to the morning - at any other time you are just letting the heat in.

I can only support the suggestion of fans though: get that air moving! Other than that, if possibly: do a siesta (i.e. sleep during noon hours). Also try to get as much stuff as possible done during the cooler morning hours.

Have some cold drinks and air con on. And I agree fans definitely help.

The only thing you should be building right now are Lego boats... So you can take them in the pool with you. :wink:

maxresdefault.jpg