TheLordOfBricks

Avalonian Windmill

Another FB with no story, I am super rushed with the Summer Joust, so I have no time to write a story, anyways, I will have another build up tomorrow hopefully... :) I'll start with my storyline when Book III is realeased. :)

Wefyrf Valley Wheat-Windmill

This is my second Summer Joust entry, part of the team collaboration category, this is the second part of a four part collab, between Hildigrim Took, Mountain Hobbit, Jako Of Nerogue's and I. Hildigrim's the Wheat Farmer's house, mine is the Windmill where the wheat is processed, Jako's is the bakery where the wheat is made into goods, and Jake's is the market where the goods are sold in the wheat of Wefyrf. As I said, I have been building this over the past two months and I am pretty happy with the end result. :) The end size is 51 x 76 half irregular base. I tried as best I could to match their other styles.

To my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ be the Glory! :D

Edited by TheLordOfBricks

23 minutes ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

To my Lord and Savioiur Jesus Christ be the Glory! :D

Amen!

Fantastic looking build! Terrain is nicely slopped and the texturing on the windmill is awesome!

Wow! I love the organic and natural look to the landscape!! The houses are really great looking with the old, worn down feeling!

I'm pretty sure we have the exact same sheep design! I might have stolen it from you over on Flickr, but I'm not sure...

I love the terrain, and I love the shaping of the windmill tower, especially the roof! I have a couple of minor nitpicks of what is otherwise an excellent build: first, the window of the windmill tower has the wooden section stopping rather abruptly, rather than continuing up to the roof line or a horizontal beam, which is odd; and second, the chimney of the other building looks strange ending below the roof edge like that (at least I assume the pearl silver bowl and dish apparatus is a chimney?) rather than continuing up above the roof like a typical chimney. That being said, I am especially taken with the way you joined the different roof sections together with the inverted half-barrel, and the cart is quite nice, too!

Your style goes well in Avalonia, as it reminds me of @The Maestro and @ZlatanXVIGustaf (whose own styles evoke others like DC and LD...).

Nice scene.  I really like the texturing of the windmill especially the roofs.  The landscaping is great I like the way it looks especially with the plates being layered.  The goats or sheep look cool too.  

Very nice build.  I love the dark blue color for the roof on builds, and you did a great job here.  The dark red on the shed is also very nice.  The whole hill must take a lot of bricks, but it really looks good.  I love the goats.  They look fantastic!  The haywagon and fence are great, too.  I am not a huge fan of the super-detailed rundown looking walls, as I think they can start too look too cartoony, but that's just preference, and I think you did a great job with that here.  The only part that I'm not super excited about are the blades on the windmill.  They seem too open to me, maybe a little too short as well.  Thanks for sharing, and keep up the awesome work!

Fantastic build! You really nailed the DC look. The shape of the tower is very nice, especially the tower. All the different tools you made are very neat aswell. As I said on Flickr though, the holes in the tower could use some covering behind.

Very cool creation, and a fantastic addition to Avalonia! Love the landscaping, animals, and dark blue roof. The windmill fans themselves look small compared to the windmill tower, though, but I guess that's because the other building is in the way.

Very nice build, great textures and colors especially on the landscaping!  I really like the little garden and the shed off to the right - and the fences are a great touch too!  The size of the buildings kind of dwarfs the windmill blades, and I'm wondering how much wind it'll really catch with all that stone right behind it.  But the sheep are super cute! :thumbup: 

Lovely scene you built there!

Giving the buildings different roof colours is a good idea, the landscape slopes nicely and adding the little garden livens up the scene.

Love the water basin for the sheep! (and the sheep look great themselves too)

Great scene, everything is pleasant to the eye, really liking the sheep(i think) :look:

On 7/28/2018 at 9:11 PM, LM71Blackbird said:

Amen!

Fantastic looking build! Terrain is nicely slopped and the texturing on the windmill is awesome!

Thanks! :)

On 7/29/2018 at 2:33 AM, de Gothia said:

Wow! I love the organic and natural look to the landscape!! The houses are really great looking with the old, worn down feeling!

Thank you! Cleanly run-down is my favorite to build. :)

On 7/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, Mythical said:

Awesome! Love the shed and the way the terrain seems to roll.

Thanks! :)

On 7/29/2018 at 1:26 PM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I'm pretty sure we have the exact same sheep design! I might have stolen it from you over on Flickr, but I'm not sure...

I love the terrain, and I love the shaping of the windmill tower, especially the roof! I have a couple of minor nitpicks of what is otherwise an excellent build: first, the window of the windmill tower has the wooden section stopping rather abruptly, rather than continuing up to the roof line or a horizontal beam, which is odd; and second, the chimney of the other building looks strange ending below the roof edge like that (at least I assume the pearl silver bowl and dish apparatus is a chimney?) rather than continuing up above the roof like a typical chimney. That being said, I am especially taken with the way you joined the different roof sections together with the inverted half-barrel, and the cart is quite nice, too!

Your style goes well in Avalonia, as it reminds me of @The Maestro and @ZlatanXVIGustaf (whose own styles evoke others like DC and LD...).

Thanks Henjin! The sheep I created from a combination of designs between Brick to the Past's and Mark of Falworth's most recent large display. :) Thanks for the critiques, as for the window wooden timbers, yeah, it looks weird, but it also looked weird to continue it to the top, and I was running out of pieces, because I am working on something that requires a lot of red. brown tiles... I see what you mean about the chimney, I guess it would have been good to continue it. ;) Thanks again! :)

On 7/29/2018 at 8:29 PM, zoth33 said:

Nice scene.  I really like the texturing of the windmill especially the roofs.  The landscaping is great I like the way it looks especially with the plates being layered.  The goats or sheep look cool too.  

Thank you! :)

On 7/29/2018 at 10:40 PM, Grover said:

Very nice build.  I love the dark blue color for the roof on builds, and you did a great job here.  The dark red on the shed is also very nice.  The whole hill must take a lot of bricks, but it really looks good.  I love the goats.  They look fantastic!  The haywagon and fence are great, too.  I am not a huge fan of the super-detailed rundown looking walls, as I think they can start too look too cartoony, but that's just preference, and I think you did a great job with that here.  The only part that I'm not super excited about are the blades on the windmill.  They seem too open to me, maybe a little too short as well.  Thanks for sharing, and keep up the awesome work!

Thanks Grover! Yeah, what you see is mostly bricks with the hill, as I have very few plates, which are all used near the edge to get a good looking edge. :) Yeah, the windmill isn't my favorite, the stonework does kinda look cartoony, and the blades are too small, and the pics really didn't capture the stonework...

On 7/30/2018 at 1:00 AM, ZlatanXVIGustaf said:

Fantastic build! You really nailed the DC look. The shape of the tower is very nice, especially the tower. All the different tools you made are very neat aswell. As I said on Flickr though, the holes in the tower could use some covering behind.

Thank you Zlatan! Thank you for noticing the tools, super fun to make. ;) Yeah, the tower holes I am kinda bummed about.

On 7/30/2018 at 9:52 AM, KevinyWu said:

Very cool creation, and a fantastic addition to Avalonia! Love the landscaping, animals, and dark blue roof. The windmill fans themselves look small compared to the windmill tower, though, but I guess that's because the other building is in the way.

Thanks Kevin! Yeah, windmill blades are too small, ran out of the necessary pieces for the blades.

On 7/30/2018 at 11:15 AM, Kai NRG said:

Very nice build, great textures and colors especially on the landscaping!  I really like the little garden and the shed off to the right - and the fences are a great touch too!  The size of the buildings kind of dwarfs the windmill blades, and I'm wondering how much wind it'll really catch with all that stone right behind it.  But the sheep are super cute! :thumbup: 

Thanks Kai! The garden was very fun, and a good slap together in at the end. :) Yep, windmill blades are too small. ;P

On 7/31/2018 at 11:41 AM, Puvel said:

Lovely scene you built there!

Giving the buildings different roof colours is a good idea, the landscape slopes nicely and adding the little garden livens up the scene.

Love the water basin for the sheep! (and the sheep look great themselves too)

Thanks!

On 8/1/2018 at 2:31 PM, Niku said:

Great scene, everything is pleasant to the eye, really liking the sheep(i think) :look:

Thank you! Yep, sheep. :)

It's superb, the cobblestone path leading to the garden is awesome. The sheep are lovely, defo will end up borrowing them. 

I love this build. The angled walls are one of the best features here. To me they give it a warm and whimsical feel which is perfect for a fantasy world. The stone tower behind the cottage also has great texture to break up its vertical lines.  I also liked the sheep so much I created a goat character for my GoH family based on seeing this. Thanks!

Nicely composed village setting. The jumble of buildings with a house and small shed near the mill works very smoothly. And you made good use of the two tudor portions - they add some nice contrast to all of the other stone walls :thumbup:
Beautiful landscaping as well! Such a significant slope makes the terrain way more interesting than a typical flat base would have.

And the little garden area has some lovely details with the clever cobblestone design, low stone wall, and fun plants :wub:

A pity you couldn't write a story, because if it would have been as good as the build...

@The Maestro knows what I'm going to say first: maybe a bit too much texture here, but that's just nitpicking :wink: I really love to see more tudored sections, even when they seem to be in disrepair :thumbup: a small remark about the tower's window though: it feels very bad to have these vertical 'beams' next to it dropping dead before reaching the roof...

Aside from that, some great landscaping, and especially liking the vegetable garden!

Perfectly executed DC-style technique with the structures, but what I think makes this MOC really work, is the few-bricks-tall hill you set them on.  That and the camera angle really balance out the build I think.

Nice shape of the buildings and great overall color use!
The goats are also top notch :classic:

You've pretty much nailed the presentation with the good photo and not overdone editing.
A couple of minor comments however: To me the vignetting has a fairly substantial concentric banding to it, maybe it is caused by stepwise conversion or something
else damaging the gradient? Smooth gradients are sensitive to banding sometimes in my experience...
I also think that the visible gaps in the tower top should be avoided, if nothing else by some careful darkening of the visible light in post-processing.

On 8/4/2018 at 6:47 PM, cablefoxley said:

It's superb, the cobblestone path leading to the garden is awesome. The sheep are lovely, defo will end up borrowing them. 

Thanks! Much appreciated! 

On 8/7/2018 at 2:14 PM, soccerkid6 said:

Nicely composed village setting. The jumble of buildings with a house and small shed near the mill works very smoothly. And you made good use of the two tudor portions - they add some nice contrast to all of the other stone walls :thumbup:
Beautiful landscaping as well! Such a significant slope makes the terrain way more interesting than a typical flat base would have.

And the little garden area has some lovely details with the clever cobblestone design, low stone wall, and fun plants :wub:

Thanks SK! The garden was actually just a thrown together space where I didn't have enough green! Glad it turned out well. :) 

On 8/17/2018 at 4:21 PM, TitusV said:

A pity you couldn't write a story, because if it would have been as good as the build...

@The Maestro knows what I'm going to say first: maybe a bit too much texture here, but that's just nitpicking :wink: I really love to see more tudored sections, even when they seem to be in disrepair :thumbup: a small remark about the tower's window though: it feels very bad to have these vertical 'beams' next to it dropping dead before reaching the roof...

Aside from that, some great landscaping, and especially liking the vegetable garden!

Thanks Titus! Yeah, I can see what you're saying, there is a lot of texture and it may be a little too much... Glad you like the tudor, and I know about the vertical beams, I was running out of pieces, because I was also building Goblin Town at the time and I was using most of brown tiles for scaffolding... Thanks again!

On 8/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, mrcp6d said:

Perfectly executed DC-style technique with the structures, but what I think makes this MOC really work, is the few-bricks-tall hill you set them on.  That and the camera angle really balance out the build I think.

Thank you! :)

On 8/18/2018 at 3:05 PM, Gideon said:

Nice shape of the buildings and great overall color use!
The goats are also top notch :classic:

You've pretty much nailed the presentation with the good photo and not overdone editing.
A couple of minor comments however: To me the vignetting has a fairly substantial concentric banding to it, maybe it is caused by stepwise conversion or something
else damaging the gradient? Smooth gradients are sensitive to banding sometimes in my experience...
I also think that the visible gaps in the tower top should be avoided, if nothing else by some careful darkening of the visible light in post-processing.

Thanks! Yeah, I am not actually very pleased with the pic, as the gradient I used got choppy as you said... I think from now on I will do a one color background if I don't just fade the lines of the white posterboards I use... Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, TheLordOfBricks said:

I think from now on I will do a one color background if I don't just fade the lines of the white posterboards I use

A curved background saves that post-processing entirely, I use a cheap roller blind from Ikea :classic:
25026490626_bed400f4d6.jpg

45 minutes ago, Gideon said:

A curved background saves that post-processing entirely, I use a cheap roller blind from Ikea :classic:
25026490626_bed400f4d6.jpg

Ahhh, nice! Thanks for the tip! Might have to consider that!