Sven J

MOC: Just a humble 0-8-0T... (Flensburger Kreisbahn No. 1 in 1:22.5 scale)

Hi Sven,

It may be only a “humble” 0-8-0T, but you still lavish it with a huge amount of thought and detail. The planning and design that goes into your models is in a league far in excess of anything I’ve seen elsewhere. I know the large scale you have selected helps, but even so the quality of your models speaks volumes for your patience, skill and attention to detail.

2 hours ago, Hod Carrier said:

I know the large scale you have selected helps, but even so the quality of your models speaks volumes for your patience, skill and attention to detail.

I totally agree Hod Carrier ...the research for details is not a granted business by the scale, only the patience and the maximum effort can make real such a beauty! :classic:

21 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Slightly off-topic, but do you know that there's an excellent new book about the Schleswiger Kreisbahn? Highly recommended!

Have it :classic: - was a birthday present from my parents; they do live up there.

All the best
Thorsten 

Thank you for your appreciation, Bricked1980 and Hod Carrier!

Of course the term "humble" refers to the prototype being a small, unspectacular workhorse, not a flashy express train locomotive. I have a soft spot for these "underdogs"... :wink:

And as you said, @LEGO Train 12 Volts, there's really research to be done. A locomotive MOC typically takes me 4-8 months from project start to the finished model. About one month is needed to find and analyse sources, diagrams, photos etc.; then the collected information has to be transformed into the MOC design, always starting with those sub-assemblies which I expect to be the most difficult ones.

As it might be interesting for other builders, here's an example: Close examination and measurement of the few photos and the only drawing I could get of this loco led to the conclusion that the boiler had to be 54 mm in diameter. Well, that was easy regarding the height - 17 plates. But the width was difficult - 7 studs (56 mm) would have resulted in an odd-looking oval shape. It then took me at least a week before I could come up with the following solution (well, maybe just because I was a bit dim-witted):

640x404.jpg

If anyone has a better solution (one without all those "plates with door rails"), please show it - I'd be glad to use it!

Edited by Tenderlok

3 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

If anyone has a better solution (one without all those "plates with door rails"), please show it - I'd be glad to use it!

You might want to use jumper plates to substitute top and bottom "plates with door rails". But I like existing setup, it looks sturdy.

Another option is to play around in a similar fashion I did here:

38043500215_003d147407_z.jpg

Edited by zux
added picture

3 hours ago, zux said:

But I like existing setup, it looks sturdy.

It's indeed quite sturdy, the upside-down mounted "plates with door rails" clutch to the Technic bricks very firmly.
As for your suggestion: I already tried jumper plates (and actually used them in a few places where oddnumbers of studs had to be covered, for the plates with rails only come in 2 and 8 studs length), but in fact I didn't like this solution. The jumper plates form a smooth, flat surface on the side of the boiler, which looked too angular for me.
Of course, it's something different for your ingenious solution: As the total diameter is much larger, that flat surface doesn't strike the eye. I seems like a great design for a tank car in large scale! Thanks!

This is a beautiful model the dark green works well ... I personally think the only other color that would have done it justice would have been royal blue.   

I love the rods ... How difficult was it to design these? (also have you designed parts before?)

How did you like the shapeways ... Ive heard mixed results in the scale train world just wanted your experience.

Great work, beautifull locomotive, I'm still finding nice details after seeing the pictures a second time, well done "master builder" ;)

Thank you very much, Yann FOURE, Roadmonkeytj and rahziel! :classic:

@Roadmonkeytj: Well, it might look good in blue, but dark green was the actual colour of the real engine. :wink:
The rods weren't too hard to do, though in fact these were my first 3D designs. First I googled for the exact dimensions of a Technic pin hole, then played around with Tinkercad for one afternoon/evening, and the basic design was ready. As for Shapeways, first thing to say is that I had the rods printed in "professional plastic", as it was announced to be strong, and it is available in grey. Delivery was very quick, five or six days after the order had been placed, even though the package came from the Netherlands. The fitting accuracy of the parts was good, only two or three pin holes had to be sanded a little bit. BUT: Colour consistency of the "professional plastic" is... ehm... how should I express it... moderate... Especially the long side rods can be nearly white at one end and almost black at the other (well, that's a bit exaggerated, but you know what I mean). I ordered three sets of rods in total, then chose the best pieces. Honestly, the colour consistency, and also the match with LEGO's own light grey, is MUCH better with zephyr1934's rods and valve gear elements, which I'll continue to use for models that don't require as delicate parts as this loco does.

Edited by Tenderlok

7 hours ago, Tenderlok said:

Thank you very much, Yann FOURE, Roadmonkeytj and rahziel! :classic:

@Roadmonkeytj: Well, it might look good in blue, but dark green was the actual colour of the real engine. :wink:
The rods weren't too hard to do, though in fact these were my first 3D designs. First I googled for the exact dimensions of a Technic pin hole, then played around with Tinkercad for one afternoon/evening, and the basic design was ready. As for Shapeways, first thing to say is that I had the rods printed in "professional plastic", as it was announced to be strong, and it is available in grey. Delivery was very quick, five or six days after the order had been placed, even though the package came from the Netherlands. The fitting accuracy of the parts was good, only two or three pin holes had to be sanded a little bit. BUT: Colour consistency of the "professional plastic" is... ehm... how should I express it... moderate... Especially the long side rods can be nearly white at one end and almost black at the other (well, that's a bit exaggerated, but you know what I mean). I ordered three sets of rods in total, then chose the best pieces. Honestly, the colour consistency, and also the match with LEGO's own light grey, is MUCH better with zephyr1934's rods and valve gear elements, which I'll continue to use for models that don't require as delicate parts as this loco does.

This is good info to use ... I am attempting to procure a set of rods from him currently lol.

I know talk of scale modelers that say the orientation matters ... You get more detail across then lengthwise of the filliment plastic.  Also that you can dictate if your model gets printed alone or with others.  It is odd to me that the color would be so different across such a little span.  One day I may use them then again one day I may just break down and buy a printer lol 

2 hours ago, Roadmonkeytj said:

I know talk of scale modelers that say the orientation matters ...

Oh yes, I forgot that. The side that is facing downwards during the printing process is much smoother than the opposite one.

Dear all,

Finally I found a comparison picture of the sister locomotive, No. 2, which I should be able to show without getting into trouble (works photo AEG, 1926).
The lamp holder on the smokebox was later removed, and the sanding equipment altered. My model shows the No. 1 locomotive after these modifications (both carried out in the 1930s), thus it differs slightly from the photo.

800x346.jpg

Best regards,
Sven

Edited by Tenderlok

Cette loco est magique!!!! elle est très bien réalisée. Pouvez vous me faire passer les fichier pour LDD?

Hi yannick,

First of all, thank you for your appreciation!

Unfortunately, my knowledge of the French language is very poor; so please let us continue this conversation in English.
If I understand it correctly, you are not able to receive personal messages until you have reached ten posts. So you'll have to let me know your email address or (better choice :wink:) commit yourself here on EB a bit before I can send you the file.

Dear LEGO train lovers,

finally, here’s a video of my 0-8-0T on track. It is made in the style of old newsreel films; the title translates as
"Flensburger Kreisbahnen present: Test run of steam locomotive No. 1 after the major overhaul in 1935“.
Be sure to turn on your speakers! :wink:

A longer video, with the smoke generator in action and an LGB train behind the locomotive, will follow as soon as I have finished equipping all my passenger waggons with battery-powered interior and tail lights.

Thanks for stopping by again!
Sven

Edited by Tenderlok
typo

This is a really lovely locomotive you built there!  And the valve & piston rod action in that video is smooth as silk (and the tune accompanying the video was rather lovely as well)! 

I must say, though, that I think this is the first time I've seen someone running a LEGO train on standard model train tracks, although I have thought about using G-Scale track as a stand-in for Russian 5' or Pennsylvania Trolley 5'2" broad gauge tracks....

I'm guessing the wheel spacing for the G-Scale track has to be 1-2 studs wider than standard LEGO train track, right?  All in all, I gotta say, "Das ist einfach toll!" (It's just awesome!)

That's one incredible model! It looks even more period-correct in black-and-white film. Nice selection of music too. The beginning sounds vaguely Wagnerian, what is it?

Thank you very much, @LEGO Train 12 Volts, @Laura Takayama and @Pdaitabird! :classic:

11 hours ago, Laura Takayama said:

I'm guessing the wheel spacing for the G-Scale track has to be 1-2 studs wider than standard LEGO train track, right?

It's 1 stud wider - the wheels are mounted on 7L axles. The locomotive frame, however, is 4 studs wide like on many "normal" LEGO engines.

11 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Nice selection of music too. The beginning sounds vaguely Wagnerian, what is it?

It's a shortened version of a piece called "Kjöbenhavns Jernbane-Damp-Galop" ("Copenhagen's Railway-Steam-Galop") by Danish composer H. C. Lumbye, edited from a 78 rpm gramophone record. A particularly funny modern performance of the whole piece is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8-itpIIZdA

Dear Sven

you literally make us turn our heads (please take a straight track next time :head_back:), wonderful video! I love the atmosphere, we wait for the wagons..

grussen

Sergio

Dear Sergio,

thank you very much for your kind words!

16 hours ago, monai said:

please take a straight track next time

Sorry if I made you dizzy... Well, buy me a nice 12-room apartment where I can lay 25 m of straight track, and it’s a deal… :laugh:

All the best,
Sven

Edited by Tenderlok

Great video, nostalgic ffel to it, suitable for this beautiful train. cannot wait to see the follow up!

On 9/5/2018 at 2:16 PM, Tenderlok said:

Dear LEGO train lovers,

finally, here’s a video of my 0-8-0T on track.

Even though I know that MOC is lego, seeing it run I do not believe it is lego. You have transcended the lego-time barrier. (I still love the title of this thread too, "Just a humble 0-8-0T", ha!) As I said before, an amazing build.