Sign in to follow this  
Freezingvettes99

Northern Pacific SD70ACe "what if" Render

My father grew up in the upper midwest of the US and has always been a huge Northern Pacific fan so I decided to do a SD70ACe in Northern Pacific. Unfortunately, in this specific paint scheme, using Lego bricks it is impossible for this to work out due to the limited amount of bricks available in these colors so a render will have to do. I hope you enjoy!

41862824850_a676e54206_c.jpgNP SD70ACe Render 1 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

42769080185_52bbdbddbb_c.jpgNP SD70ACe Render 2 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

Edited by Freezingvettes99

Freezingvettes99,

That is a very nice rendition of an EMD SD70ACe in the late Northern Pacific Railway's passenger scheme. My one observation from comparing the colors you used to those in pictures would be that the NPR colors look closer to a Earth Green - White - Sand Green (Dark Green - White - Sand Green), which incidentally may actually make it easier to build using the existing color - brick combinations. Bright Green (Bright green) as you used on the lower half would indeed be very difficult to produce.

Or, as I found while digging about, there are other options that you could also consider. These include the late NPR freight scheme which would be really easy to do. Someone already has a nice rendition that I found that you could reference: Northern Pacific Railway - EMD SD70ACe - Late Freight scheme

Or if you want something along the lines of a Union Pacific Railway Heritage unit. (They are highly stylistic unlike the Norfolk Southern Railway's Heritage units.) It uses the same color combination that you used with your model: Burlington Northern Santa Fe - EMD SD70ACe - Mock Heritage scheme: NPR

Of note, most railroads ditched the fancy paint schemes when they ceased passenger service. Plus the bulky hood units are a artisan's canvas nightmare. (Warbonnets do not look very good on them. Cowl units yes, hood units no.) So for example, an NPR of today would most likely be the black and yellow. 

3D LEGO

Edited by 3D LEGO
Minor edit.

Realistic or not, I think it looks awesome!  But isn't that the point?  Take some creative license and make what YOU WANT!  BTW, a BNSF heritage fleet would be amazing!

On 7/27/2018 at 4:20 PM, 3D LEGO said:

Freezingvettes99,

That is a very nice rendition of an EMD SD70ACe in the late Northern Pacific Railway's passenger scheme. My one observation from comparing the colors you used to those in pictures would be that the NPR colors look closer to a Earth Green - White - Sand Green (Dark Green - White - Sand Green), which incidentally may actually make it easier to build using the existing color - brick combinations. Bright Green (Bright green) as you used on the lower half would indeed be very difficult to produce.

Or, as I found while digging about, there are other options that you could also consider. These include the late NPR freight scheme which would be really easy to do. Someone already has a nice rendition that I found that you could reference: Northern Pacific Railway - EMD SD70ACe - Late Freight scheme

Or if you want something along the lines of a Union Pacific Railway Heritage unit. (They are highly stylistic unlike the Norfolk Southern Railway's Heritage units.) It uses the same color combination that you used with your model: Burlington Northern Santa Fe - EMD SD70ACe - Mock Heritage scheme: NPR

Of note, most railroads ditched the fancy paint schemes when they ceased passenger service. Plus the bulky hood units are a artisan's canvas nightmare. (Warbonnets do not look very good on them. Cowl units yes, hood units no.) So for example, an NPR of today would most likely be the black and yellow. 

3D LEGO

Something like this:

43651094802_8d0f99650b_c.jpgNP SD70ACe Freight Scheme #2 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

43697955301_45d3d0ae91_c.jpgNP SD70ACe Freight Scheme Render 1 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

The green scheme looks fantastic, great job doing a NS style heritage unit for the NP. I really like what you did in that first version. There are probably enough different parts in dark green and sand green to build it, but you would need to change the design (e.g., the turn table bases used as fans do not exist in dark green, but you could use technic disks, or BBB train wheels, or ... and I don't think there are grill tiles in sand green).

Actually the NP passenger scheme is one of the few that did not change much between 1940 and 1970 (there were small changes like how they were lettered, and a few variants of the white stripe on the locomotives and observation cars). I spent way too much time researching it for this project. If ever a NP heritage unit were made, I bet it would be the green scheme (e.g., when ATSF revived the warbonnet they used the historic passenger scheme... so I suppose there are already a few BNSF heritage units out there, grin).

I also love the NP freight scheme. The "pine tree" nose was the longest lasting scheme on the freight cab units, but I don't think it was ever applied to road switchers, or if it was, it did not last long. The F-units were actually originally envisioned strictly for freight use by EMD as an alternative to the E's that were lower traction but higher speeds (the middle axle on the E-units was unpowered). NP and GN found that the F's were far better suited for their mountain grades and used them for passenger as well as freight (as did many other railroads). It was not until the third common version of the F-unit (F7) that the road switcher was introduced (GP-7). By which point NP had a fleet of freight FT's and F3's, as well as passenger F3's. Originally the NP road switchers had a curved line between the red and black, e.g., as I modeled in this GP-9. I think it was simplified in the late 1960's to be more straight on the ends (as you have modeled). That probably makes more sense for an SD70 in the freight scheme. You could probably get the red stripe up the nose too.

Freezingvettes99,

Wow, that was fast. :laugh: Yeah. Now all it needs are some decals and it is ready to roll.

Just out of curiosity, how does your original design look with the Bright Green swapped for Sand Green?

3D LEGO

13 hours ago, 3D LEGO said:

Freezingvettes99,

Wow, that was fast. :laugh: Yeah. Now all it needs are some decals and it is ready to roll.

Just out of curiosity, how does your original design look with the Bright Green swapped for Sand Green?

3D LEGO

Here is the original design with Sand Green Instead of Light Green. I actually think I like this better and I also believe the Sand Green would look a little better in person. With the new Statue of Liberty Architecture set quite a number of pieces are now available that were not previously in Sand Green, I haven't checked yet for sure.

41955318320_939aff490c_c.jpgNP SD70ACe Sand Green Lower Render 1 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

41955321740_22cec5a656_c.jpgNP SD70ACe Sand Green Lower Render 2 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

Freezingvettes99,

They booth look good, though I agree with you on the Sand Green version. It gives it a better forest green and haze feel to it. The other reminds me more rolling hills of grass. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not what I think of when I picture Northern Pacific Railway. All that said, these are great renditions. I hope you are able to build at least one of them.

Speaking of building: two for the price of one! I say build both. That way you can haul freight all day long with out a care. And just in case the press shows up, do a quick engine swap to put your best face forward. You know, good old public relations. (Who pays attention to the second locomotive anyway? For all we care it could be fuchsia.)

3D LEGO

PS: If you do, I suspect zephyr1934 may come looking for some loner power the next time the F units give out on grade.

Edited by 3D LEGO

Here is a Heritage SD70ACe in Frisco livery! I have always been partial to Frisco. This one would be easy to find parts for! I might as well just keep going and do the whole fleet of BN Heritage units huh?

28848338937_da05de0097_c.jpgFrisco SD70ACe Render 1 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr

43068348784_ef818637b9_c.jpgFrisco SD70ACe Render 2 by freezingvettes99, on Flickr