WesternOutlaw

LEGO Health Care in Tabletown Revisited

Hi all,

I was really excited to see LEGO release a new hospital (City Hospital 60204) as part of the 2018 line-up.  Wow!  After all these years, we have a beautiful new, state of the art, 3-floor medical facility for Tabletown.  There may have been one or two produced in the last few years that I lost track of (including the LEGO Friends Heartlake Hospital 41318) but I must admit that I'm not a big Friends fan unless you're talking about the 1994-2004 television series.  LEGO Helicopter Rescue (4429) released in 2012 is also one that I missed.

Several years ago (2009 to be more precise), I shared an article about the LEGO state of healthcare here on Eurobricks.  Now that we have a new hospital nine years later, I thought I'd share the article again with some unbroken links to the medical facilities that spanned LEGO's history.  Here it is for your reading pleasure: 

LEGO Health Care in Tabletown

Over the past year, there’s been much discussion in the United States over “Universal Health Care”.  Should the United States adopt the European and Canadian models for delivering healthcare to its uninsured and under insured citizens?  If adapted, will the Universal Health Care option create a shortage of health care professionals causing long lines for needed medical care, and will the Federal Government deny expensive medical procedures for older citizens?  What is the price of a socialized health care option?  These are just a few of the questions being addressed in the Unites States over health care reform. 

The problem of universal health care goes far beyond the United Sates, and the need for better health care delivery is certainly one of the numerous concerns.  Shortages of doctors, nurses, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, and medical technicians and are not only felt in developed cities, as well as third world countries, but also in your LEGO Tabletown.  Since the late 70s during the development of LEGO towns and cities, medical care for minifigs has been lacking.  One of the first comprehensive medical centers in Tabletown was erected in 1976 under the generic name of Hospital 555.  While the brick-and-mortar structure provided demanding jobs for its four health care professionals, gaps in services were quickly an issue through the hospital’s lack of needed diagnostic equipment.  In addition, single patient rooms were not available resulting in patient privacy issues and a decrease in patient satisfaction.  While the hospital did provide emergency medical treatment through an ambulance and rear building emergency room, employee morale was questionable as observed through minifigs always having their hands in their pockets.

41834371480_25e22a95ce_o.jpgLEGO 555 by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

A few years passed in Tabletown as minifigs watched the population boom and Government continued to utilize their limited budget on fire and police stations.  Health care remained an issue and minifigs tried to stay well knowing that Hospital 555 was hardly a “patient centered care” facility.  Some minifigs even stated that they’d “rather die than go to Hospital 555”.  It wasn’t until 1980 that a Board Certified Family Practice physician would be enticed to move to Tabletown to provide services at a small Paramedic Unit located on 6364 Main Street.  Unfortunately, the doctor’s 4-stud wide vehicle was hardly equipped to provide emergency medical care, and through house calls with an antiquated walkie-talkie in hand, the doctor rarely had time to treat established patients waiting far beyond 30 days for a primary care visit.  New patients often waited in excess of 90 days.  Tabletown minifigs demanded quality LEGO health care to be delivered in a new facility!

43594992812_4937214eec_o.jpgLEGO 6364 by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

In 1987, Tabletown would get its first full-service Emergency Treatment Center (ETC), 6380, with two full-time physicians and one registered nurse.  The new facility served as a “state-of-the-art” trauma center and quickly restored the smiles of Tabletown minifigs.  Contributable to a highly innovative and “patient-centered” hospital design with sun-lit rooms, patient satisfaction was at an “all-time high”. The new hospital even offered its patients a beverage while they waited for their scheduled doctor’s appointment, through a volunteer program.  Hospital 555 was a “thing of the past” and quickly converted into a mental health institution while the new ETC continued to flourish.  ETCs’ patients were highly satisfied with their medical care, and those that left with a frown or complaining of depression, were quickly sent to Hospital 555 via of a 4-stud wide paramedic convertible.

41834371430_df0fca72b6_o.jpgLEGO 6380 by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

Though ETC was an efficient and effective medical facility, funding continued to diminish as more fire and police stations were constructed.  In addition, uninsured minifigs from new LEGO themes created a strain on available resources and the building quickly deteriorated.  The concept of a “World City” did not exactly include universal or “World Health Care” as the cost of such a program would be astronomical.  Years passed before discussion to even fund another hospital or medical center began.

High atop a hill far from the “hustle and bustle” of Tabletown, a new hospital (7892) would break ground.  It took over 20 years to construct with new permit requirements and “red tape”, and the design did not even come close to being as good as ETC.  With just two full-time physicians and an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), the hospital served as a meager attempt to provide health care to the ever increasing population of Tabletown.  Even its location was a poor decision, although it did offer a “Flight for Life” helicopter transport. 

41834371570_e2d1196d05_o.jpgLEGO 7892 by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

So, where has the debate over “Universal Health Care” left the minifigs of Tabletown?

LEGO health care remains an unsolved issue in Tabletown.  How will its Government pay for the necessary medical services for its minifigs without raising taxes?  Is socialized medicine, similar to the European and Canadian models more effective than a private system?  Will minifigs continue to pursue careers in health care under a socialized system where government contracts cap pricing/revenue?  Will waits and delays for needed services increase under another government-ran program? Is there any hope for a new LEGO modular hospital?   These are just a few of the many unresolved questions in the debate for Universal Health Care.  Until then, elected Tabletown politicians can always devote more resources to fire and police stations.

New for 2018, LEGO City Hospital 60204:

43594992662_2e676fe5f1_o.jpgLEGO 60204 by Western Outlaw, on Flickr

Hilarious! Just hilarious how you describe the history of the LEGO hospitals ;) You have a lot of imagination WesternOutlaw!

B.t.w. I just did a modular hospital that I'm finishing off with details (mainly interior design, waiting on parts for incubators etc ;)).

Thanks much Jopie.  For a minute there, I didn't think anyone was interested in Tabletown health care.  Appreciate the comment and look forward to seeing your modular hospital.

On 7/26/2018 at 1:33 PM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

6384 and 6380 are my lego healt care buildings and I think that there is more attention to police departments, and fire.

So I'm happy to see a new hospital in town! :wink:

Me too, our minifigs need healthcare as well.

On 7/26/2018 at 10:21 AM, fordtruckin said:

This is a great read and you have a gift with words. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the nice feedback FT - appreciate it.

On 7/26/2018 at 6:14 AM, Bricked1980 said:

Great reading this :thumbup:  6380 was one of my first ever large Lego sets when I was a kid. A true classic.

I had old 555 but never 6380.  Always admired this set.  Thanks.

It's great to see such an awesome fun article. It had been a long time since we last see such masterpieces from you. The Classic 6380 and the newest 60204 are certainly the best in my books. Glad to see you around, buddy. :sweet: 

6 hours ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Just one question: does the helicopter carry human organs?

In the picture I see a container box

Perhaps; could be some medical supplies as well.

:laugh:. Great read. Thank you.

As a kid I was happy to get 6380 and surprised it took ages before something decent like that appeared again.

14 hours ago, Man with a hat said:

:laugh:. Great read. Thank you.

As a kid I was happy to get 6380 and surprised it took ages before something decent like that appeared again.

Thanks 'Man with a hat'. Lucky to have received 6380 back in the day.

Funny and interesting read! 

But no love for the 4429?  It's not exactly a full hospital but it's like a precursor and a nice complement (literally and architecture-wise) to the 60204!

On 8/2/2018 at 12:47 PM, wooootles said:

Funny and interesting read! 

But no love for the 4429?  It's not exactly a full hospital but it's like a precursor and a nice complement (literally and architecture-wise) to the 60204!

Thanks Wooootles. Appreciate the feedback. I sometimes think that many posts can be image rich and quality poor with quick digital design and MOC bumps. It's what turns me away from these forums. For me, it's always a pleasure for someone to read your article and take time to comment.