Sign in to follow this  
Keymonus

[OL - Era II - Challenge II - Cat A] Juracàn's fishing point

île D'Or, August 618, somewhere outside Fatu Hiva

"Why are we here, monsieur Rimbaud?" Asked Marcel Laurent, one of the members of the little group. "I mean... not on the island but here, in this fishery." Marcel, a physician arrived in Astrapi only a couple of years before, was one of the members of the little group. He had spent most of his career in the navy, travelling around the world... nobody  was really surprised when he asked joining the expedition.

"We have at least two good reasons, mon ami." Answered Tristan Rimaud, leader of the team. "First, I was said Juracàn's tribe was one of the last that  arrived in Fatu Hiva, so we can obtain some fresh news. Second, and even more important... don't you like smoked fish?".

Meanwhile, in precarious balance on a wooden pole, a native was fishing with his spear and an Halosian was -well...- trying something similar. Soldiers watched them with interest.

29764102148_164e97bfa6_b.jpg

"Welcome to my fishing point, my lords. The humble Jurancàn wishes he could satisfy you. Are you interested in buying some smoked fish, or maybe you need a barrel of salted cod? We have just found a giant whelk, trust me, a delicacy as you never tasted. We also have crabs and, under the palm, a bucket of wonderful lobsters, I've just caught them myself, I can show them you if you are interested."

Finally the flood of words stopped, with great relief of the others.

"Thank you, cacique, you are too polite with these men" Replied Tristan, using one of the habitual formulas so appreciated by the natives. "My warriors and I are beginning a journey, so we'll buy both smoked and salted fish, and for this reason we also ask you the courtesy of some pieces of information."

42730180885_6ee90b7ab7_b.jpg

"Juracàn would be pleased to be useful, my lords. Are you leaving the island? Juracàn knows all the reefs and sandbanks of the western coast."

"I'm sorry you misunderstood, great cacique. We are not leaving the island. I'm going straight into the jungle to hunt whoever is attacking natives and colonists."

Here they are. Juracàn seemed a brave man, but most natives were litterally frightened, and was impossible to obtain anything more than a superstitious stutter.

"The jungle, my lords? No, no, avoid the jungle! Bad ghosts live there! Live there and kill! They have always hated the men coming from sea, both my people and yours, but now their thirst of human blood increased! Nobody is safe far from the town!"

42917183774_18ffab5173_b.jpg

Not very encouraging, but still better then a useless sobbing.

"I do not fear bad ghosts, cachique. I will hunt them with my brave warriors, and free both my people and yours from their menace!"

Brave warriors... strange definition for his volounteers, an half of which was in jail only a week before: tough and resolute men, but not the ones you imagine on a white horse!

"Don't go, my lord, don't go please! Once the forest ghost were not so evil... sometimes they took seamen's life with snake bites or accidents, but not many more than our benign sea gods. But five summers ago something happened: shadows left the jungle and slaughtered brave warriors during the night, and many saw monsters and apparitions. Things went worse and worse, and we decided to leave our fathers' land. Don't go into the jungle, sir, or they will curse you! Somethimes the ones who saw bad ghosts became ill: they had seizures and shivers, and red stains appeared on their skins! Some of them died, and the hands of others became black and contracted..."

"Le pain maudit!" -the cursed bread- exclaimed Marcel Laurent. 

"What are you talking about, my friend?"

"All the symptoms are loudly saying ergotism! I've seen this disease when I was a young country doctor in Northern Oleon. Somethimes rye develops strange brown horns, and who eats rye bread becomes ill and sometimes sees or ears strange things. It would also explain the sudden maddness of our soldier... some ergot in the water and a masked attacker would completely frighten anybody!"

"But, since the natives do not cultivate... Juracàn, great cacique, there aren't bad ghosts in the forest, but evil men who killed and poisoned your people! Somebody Who is trying to put fear in our hearts! I swear that I'll find them and I will kill them to avenge your warriors and our soldiers."

43633404191_b9b336dc15_b.jpg

"Monsieurs, cacique, sorry to interrupt you." Whispered a soldier. "We are not alone."

42730135535_fb2bcc5048_b.jpg

Some more photos

Salted fish

42917210064_04f3695c79_b.jpg

Smoked fish

42730185975_50f130b63e_b.jpg

The "wonderful lobsters"

28746391617_f3346aa699_b.jpg

An overall view

42730200225_e6b8a0efed_b.jpg

Edited by Keymonus

What a great plot! And the build is also great. So many things happening in such a small moc! Great job and eagerly awaiting for the culmination of your story! 

Thank you all for your feedback! The build ready at least a week ago, but I was too busy for the writing... part 2 will follow soon!

@Ross Fisher Thank you! Studying medical biotechnology is useful to describe a mass poisoning! :tongue: I also considered Belladonna but then I decided that storywise having survivors was a little better!

@Professor Thaum Thank you! I took inspiration from a famous photo with pole fishers in Sri Lanka.

@Bregir As already told you, I’m sorry my build is quite similar to yours, I built it before seeing yours but the theme and some building solutions are the same! Probably it’s because smoked fish is a classic Fatuhivan delicacy... :grin:

Edited by Keymonus

Fantastic story and a great build to go with it. I like the attention to detail you've paid on the sand and water - making the levels uneven - it really lifts the scene. The camp fire and smoke are really well done as well. Overall a very strong entry, well done!

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:04 AM, meepinater said:

love it! this is great... good job!

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:16 PM, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic story and a great build to go with it. I like the attention to detail you've paid on the sand and water - making the levels uneven - it really lifts the scene. The camp fire and smoke are really well done as well. Overall a very strong entry, well done!

Thank you! :classic: