Captain Nemo

71043 Hogwarts™ Castle

On 7/26/2018 at 6:41 PM, x105Black said:

Meh.

For what it is, it's great.  It's hard to make microscale look good.  The outside of this set does look good for the scale.  The inside suffers from the choice.  The sheer number of tiny characters is impressive, and the differences between them all is nice to see, but the designs are overall a bit weak due to the limitations of the scale.

I do like the 4 included minifigures, I think it was a very interesting choice to include the founders here.  None of them are too impressive, however, as far as parts go.  I'm not going to go out of my way to get any of them.

So, overall it's a disappointment because of the scale chosen, but I can understand that many who do not care about scale will still be excited about the set.  Personally, it's an easy pass, and it lets me spend more on the system / minifigure scale sets.

I actually like microscale, and I like microfigures because of it (far better than brick built microfigures), but now is the time for something that would have made a lot of people not complain - microfig hair.  That would have gone a long way to make this look much better.

On 7/28/2018 at 11:51 AM, Otherworld said:

I'm one of those who got really disappointed upon hearing it would be microscale. But it has grown on me so much, I will save for it, mod it (specially the stairs) and hopefully I'll be able to add some lighting. 

The problem is that we're not all millionaires.  I would love this set, but I've got a mortgage and kids in college, so I will likely miss out on this, but I can't imagine if they did minifigure scale.

Keep the scale in mind when you go from micro to mini - the microfigures are roughly half the height of minifigures, and they are half the width.  In the depth dimension they are equal (which just actually means microfigures are actually better scale models of people).  But if you're doing scale, you need to count 3 dimensions.  If a minifigure is twice the height, that's 2^3 = 8 times larger scale.  EIGHT TIMES!  If they made a commensurate minifigure scale set, it would take up 4 times as much floor space (who has that?), be twice as tall, be really cool, and cost north $US3000.

Asked on the Facebook page of the Malaysian Lego Certified Stores about pre-orders, and was told to 'stay tuned for any updates'. I hope there will be, because I'm out of the country on release day and won't be able to get to a store until the 3rd day.

Just saw this and wow it looks great...

I am not a fan of HP, or micro building sets. However, this looks really interesting to me simply for the architecture build.  I probably won't buy it immediately, but leaning towards 85% chance of picking one up later on.

Probably going to try modding the set a bit - i'd like to extend it if possible, but feel that would cost too much. Feel it needs layers.

On 7/26/2018 at 5:14 PM, Huigberts Builds said:

Neville is already included in this D2C. It's the student with the big teeth.

Did not recongise him.

I want this set but trying to figure out how to display it. Anyone have any ideas?

even my wife, who thinks we already have to many LEGO sets but doesn't complain if i buy more, said: wow, we are you getting it?

but, like person before me said - how to display it? I must keep everything in closed displays as dust problem is huge where I live, so looking for cheap solutions

What kind of shelf is big enough to put this massive thing on?  Wife and I have plans to get it but I am reluctant to purchase til I can determine option to display it. 

On 8/19/2018 at 5:29 PM, Bbafett said:

What kind of shelf is big enough to put this massive thing on?  Wife and I have plans to get it but I am reluctant to purchase til I can determine option to display it. 

I got a sideboard with almost the exact depth. 

Edited by LegoSims20

13 minutes ago, Bbafett said:

You have a link?

This is the exact one I bought.

http://www.dunelm.com/product/lisbon-sideboard-1000090006?searchRedirect=true&searchTerm=lisbon sideboard

It is a perfect size and has good storage underneath. It was the only retailer I could find that had something in the right dimensions. 

Edited by LegoSims20

I must agree about the space to display this thing, it’s the boathouse that does it I reckon. It’s sticking over the edge of where I’ve got it, it doesn’t look too bad but it is a little annoying