Captain Nemo

71043 Hogwarts™ Castle

are the 1x1 round plates that make up the pumpkin leaves new? they have little indentations around the edge, and I don't think I've seen that before, though I don't pay a whole lot of attention to new pieces.  

1 hour ago, LegoDog0126 said:

are the 1x1 round plates that make up the pumpkin leaves new? they have little indentations around the edge, and I don't think I've seen that before, though I don't pay a whole lot of attention to new pieces.  

No but they are fairly new. New 'flower' like piece as opposed to the 'bracelet upper' piece.

Wow. This set is incredible (except sticker-count :sceptic:).

These details, this great look of the exterior, the piece usage in the interior, the founders as minifigs,...:cry_happy:

And the price.... We get a Licensed D2C Set with 6020 pieces for 399,99€ (it's maybe this price because of the small parts). It looks like some guys from TLG had a really great day.:sweet:

8 hours ago, aukevin said:

When is the early VIP?

August 15th, I think.

Edited by Praetorian_Guard

5 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

Even if they made an add-on in the future, what would it be called? The Rest of Hogwarts ™ Castle? :laugh:

Something like the following perhaps?

'Battle For Hogwarts Castle'

• Would include figures for Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Hermione Granger, Lord Voldemort, with a buildable display stand
  • New Microfigures would include Neville Longbottom, Professor Sprout, Sirius Black, "Mad-Eye" Moody and a variant for Dumbledore
  • Instead of Dementors would include microfigure 'Death Eaters' renamed as 'Followers of Voldemort'
  • Would feature a Buckbeak figure which could be ridden by a Microfigure
  • Includes Astronomy Tower, Quidditch training grounds, Greenhouse, Courtyard and Quidditch Pitch
  • Rooms included are Slytherin Common Room (Located underneath), Ravenclaw Common Room (Situated in a tower) and Hufflepuff Common Room (Built under the Greenhouse)
  • Owlery would be included in a similar way to Hagrids hut, as a non-enterable structure

Certain aspects of the design would be altered and certain rooms would appear where they would'nt normally be - given that others were included in the other set. The main focus would be to provide a sense of completition in regards to what was included in the other set while presenting the idea that you could have more fun if you collected both sets. Figures would be designed to complement the other set while the set would also stand on its own to an extent with the focus being on the 'Final Battle' from the movies - though no damage to the castle would be visible.

This is what I expected... essentially an architecture Hogwarts.  I think that it is quite pretty for an architecture set.  I really like the founder minifigs.  Personally, I don't like the interiors at all, and don't like the microfigs.  As I am not interested in the architecture sets, and this set doesn't have enough of the pieces that I like, I think that I will avoid purchase.  I am also not fond of the excess stickers and lack of playability due to the scale.  My only interest in this would be as an investment for sale at a later date.  I think I'd rather buy another Big Ben for parts I can use in MOCs, however.

Like @Grover had said, I like this set very much as an exterior model, much like I would with a set from the Architecture theme; but, as for its nanofigure compatible interior, while I may not care for it (as it just looks incredibly awkward), I do appreciate all the detailed effort the set designers had put into it. :classic:

As for the four exclusive minifigures, I do kinda like that one of the Ravenclaw Founder, especially for both her Earth Blue gown and tiara crowned head print. 

14 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

it's obvious they didn't bother with exact proportions and number of towers; real shame there

Not sure where you’re getting that from, comparing the parts of the castle this represents to the studio model, the proportions and number of towers are absolutely correct. The only flaws I can think of are that the main tower may be too tall, and the boat house not far enough down. The latter is understandable though.

also there seems to be printed Windows here and there, not sure if they’re new though.

I am curious about Hogwarts architect statue, can't see it on any picture, any ideas guys? BTW, I love the idea of having the Hogwarts founders figures.

22 minutes ago, Whovastron said:

Not sure where you’re getting that from, comparing the parts of the castle this represents to the studio model, the proportions and number of towers are absolutely correct. The only flaws I can think of are that the main tower may be too tall, and the boat house not far enough down. The latter is understandable though.

By the number of towers I meant the lack of the Astronomy tower and the rest, just didn't want to repeat exact words that everyone has already said.

But the Grand Staircase tower is visibly too thin, the three small towers on top of it are way too big, the middle tower's too short, that small "hut" adjacent to the Great Hall is too thin. The right side of the build is spot on, though.

I didn't mean to be critical, the proportions aren't exact, but they're pretty close. It's just evident the designers were bound by the size of cone pieces and they didn't try to work around them to aquire better shapes in the few places I mentioned. Which is fine, I would've done that myself (if I had the capability to design such a castle, which I don't :tongue:)

Didn't realise at first glance that this was micro scale. That's the only thing that puts me off the set. It looks like a fantastic model but would have preferred a minifig scale set.

14 hours ago, Scarilian said:

New Microfigures would include Neville

Neville is already included in this D2C. It's the student with the big teeth.

3 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Didn't realise at first glance that this was micro scale. That's the only thing that puts me off the set. It looks like a fantastic model but would have preferred a minifig scale set.

If it was the same section of hogwartz but minifig scale it would probably be like 10 feet wide and $4000

56 minutes ago, chezzymann said:

If it was the same section of hogwartz but minifig scale it would probably be like 10 feet wide and $4000

Yes you're right. But what a set that would be. :laugh:

The set looks good, but I feel that Lego could have achieved the same, if not a greater, effect if they released several sets to add on with the great hall. Over time, you could create the whole castle... and at minifigure scale! 

Again, the set looks good and I would get it for the dark green, the tan... and the 4 original wizards that started the houses. 

The nanofigures looks exceptional, however. The printing on them is extraordinarily detailed for their size... Lego did an excellent job on them. 

Overall, I would get this set, but I might make extensive modifications to it so that it is minifigure scale. 

That seems like a good idea: modding it to make it (somewhat) minifigure scale.   The nanofigures are about 1/3 as tall as a minifig and 1/2 as wide, right?

Meh.

For what it is, it's great.  It's hard to make microscale look good.  The outside of this set does look good for the scale.  The inside suffers from the choice.  The sheer number of tiny characters is impressive, and the differences between them all is nice to see, but the designs are overall a bit weak due to the limitations of the scale.

I do like the 4 included minifigures, I think it was a very interesting choice to include the founders here.  None of them are too impressive, however, as far as parts go.  I'm not going to go out of my way to get any of them.

So, overall it's a disappointment because of the scale chosen, but I can understand that many who do not care about scale will still be excited about the set.  Personally, it's an easy pass, and it lets me spend more on the system / minifigure scale sets.

Edited by x105Black

Now that I think about it, it's weird that they've got the main Philosopher's Stone challenge rooms, but no mention of Fluffy! 

17 hours ago, x105Black said:

Meh.

For what it is, it's great.  It's hard to make microscale look good.  The outside of this set does look good for the scale.  The inside suffers from the choice.  The sheer number of tiny characters is impressive, and the differences between them all is nice to see, but the designs are overall a bit weak due to the limitations of the scale.

I do like the 4 included minifigures, I think it was a very interesting choice to include the founders here.  None of them are too impressive, however, as far as parts go.  I'm not going to go out of my way to get any of them.

So, overall it's a disappointment because of the scale chosen, but I can understand that many who do not care about scale will still be excited about the set.  Personally, it's an easy pass, and it lets me spend more on the system / minifigure scale sets.

look at the Whomping Willow set and how it connects to the Great hall.

this is not the standard of quality Lego has set for UCS style sets. I mean the yard in front of the great hall is laughable! As well as the tiny walls or "Great tower".

Don't get me wrong, love the system scale sets, but whenever they make something in minifigscale, it's way too cramped and exterior suffers heavily from it. They will probably release another clocktower etc. at some point anyway, if you're happy with that that's fine.

But some people would like a decent yard, or the bridge - which you could never ever make in a set in system scale. This is the best you'll get in a system scale set:

4867-1.jpg?201103240404

the UCS set is 400€ - 100€ less than the Star Wars Death Star, but it includes more pieces (6.000), many of them are even very big. That's incredibly cheap compared to other sets. Not even considering this is an expensive license

2 hours ago, Kim-Kwang-Seok said:

look at the Whomping Willow set and how it connects to the Great hall.

this is not the standard of quality Lego has set for UCS style sets. I mean the yard in front of the great hall is laughable! As well as the tiny walls or "Great tower".

Don't get me wrong, love the system scale sets, but whenever they make something in minifigscale, it's way too cramped and exterior suffers heavily from it. They will probably release another clocktower etc. at some point anyway, if you're happy with that that's fine.

But some people would like a decent yard, or the bridge - which you could never ever make in a set in system scale. This is the best you'll get in a system scale set:

the UCS set is 400€ - 100€ less than the Star Wars Death Star, but it includes more pieces (6.000), many of them are even very big. That's incredibly cheap compared to other sets. Not even considering this is an expensive license

I absolutely agree that the system scale sets are not up to par with D2C sets, but they are also the only way to complete the castle in that scale.  But definitely, a D2C Expert level Hogwarts would have been amazing, and would still if they could do it.

On 7/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, chezzymann said:

On 7/26/2018 at 1:54 PM, Bricked1980 said:

Yes you're right. But what a set that would be. :laugh:

This brings me back to 2013 with the pages of debate on the feasibility of a Minas Tirith D2C. It's a shame LOTR doesn't have the fanbase of HP, otherwise that might be able to come back too.

So I just got back from my LEGO store in Los Angeles- I asked the worker if it was possible to pre order the D2C Hogwarts and he said yes! And then put me on a list- where I paid $40- and he said to bring back the receipt so I could get it Aug 15th- I was already #6 in the list and he asked how I found out LEGO was doing this because they’ve never done this before- and I said online- and he said that LEGO hasn’t said anything publicly so people don’t get angry, I guess they just wanted it to spread via word of mouth. So if you want the set I’d suggest do this immediately because he said they don’t have room for many and that it will be sold out everywhere. 

I'm one of those who got really disappointed upon hearing it would be microscale. But it has grown on me so much, I will save for it, mod it (specially the stairs) and hopefully I'll be able to add some lighting.