Sign in to follow this  
KevinyWu

Fortress of St. Jocosa

The walls around the Church of St. Jocosa have protected it for hundreds of years against enemies. Located in the mountains of Avalonia, the church is currently being guarded by the soldiers of Eryos.

28731564477_9c80261b29_b.jpg

43571293362_6ef54c3d4b_b.jpg

29748792808_6ce321fcec_c.jpg

This was built for the 48x48 castle category in the 2018 Summer Joust. It was really fun to try to fit an entire castle on a confined space. I got the idea of creating a fortified church from Tim Goddard's creation, Abbey of St. Rumaire.

Edited by KevinyWu

Very nice, Kevin! I like the textured stonework of the walls, and you did a great job of integrating the walls into the rock below. All of the wedge plates and curves that make up the path look really good, too. I'm not as big of a fan of the church, but I am struggling to put my finger on why. It might be because it is so narrow, which of course was dictated by the contest footprint. It might also be the roof of the steeple, which is a bit rough to my eye compared with the rest. That being said, I really like what I see here, especially the angled walls, the completed interiors, and the rocks of the mountain. But especially that path!

Excellent rock-work and pathway Kevin! - I know how complicated those can be (and usually are :grin: :laugh:)  Great job on the church and walls as well, and it's awesome that you managed to fit in so many interiors, even with such a small space! 

Superb castle there. Loving the rock work and textures. The path is something I have been trying to get right for a while, yours looks great mine a little to shallow. 

The steeple is a little off putting I think because of the different arch heights and the roofs not being quite aligned. 

Top stuff keep building. 

Fantastic angle on the keep of this castle!  Great blend with the tan of the church too, and I really like the dark red roof of the spire! :thumbup: 

9 hours ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

Very nice, Kevin! I like the textured stonework of the walls, and you did a great job of integrating the walls into the rock below. All of the wedge plates and curves that make up the path look really good, too. I'm not as big of a fan of the church, but I am struggling to put my finger on why. It might be because it is so narrow, which of course was dictated by the contest footprint. It might also be the roof of the steeple, which is a bit rough to my eye compared with the rest. That being said, I really like what I see here, especially the angled walls, the completed interiors, and the rocks of the mountain. But especially that path!

Thanks HQ! I have to agree with everything you had to say about the church, especially the height. I wanted it to be the tallest structure in the castle, but that just made it disproportionately tall :wacko:.

7 hours ago, LM71Blackbird said:

Beautiful! Landscape work is awesome and the castle itself... Stunning! Keep up the great work!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Garmadon said:

Excellent rock-work and pathway Kevin! - I know how complicated those can be (and usually are :grin: :laugh:)  Great job on the church and walls as well, and it's awesome that you managed to fit in so many interiors, even with such a small space! 

Yep, 9 rooms in total! They all have a 2x4 hole so that a ladder can pass all the way through the tower to allow minifigures to go through, so it waas hard to fit any amount of detail in them.

2 hours ago, cablefoxley said:

Superb castle there. Loving the rock work and textures. The path is something I have been trying to get right for a while, yours looks great mine a little to shallow. 

The steeple is a little off putting I think because of the different arch heights and the roofs not being quite aligned. 

Top stuff keep building. 

I was quite proud of how the path turned out, thanks. Now that you mention it, the steeple does look weird from an angle where you can see two adjacent windows with different arch heights...

21 minutes ago, Kai NRG said:

Fantastic angle on the keep of this castle!  Great blend with the tan of the church too, and I really like the dark red roof of the spire! :thumbup: 

Thanks, I wanted the tan and dark red to break up the continuous light bluish gray (with the help of olive green).

A very nice castle for sure! Combininig tan and l bley is an audacious decision, but I think you've pulled it off quite well! Though I'm not completely sold on the texture (especially on the church's roof - which has amazing colours, by the way), probably because you have combined so many different kinds of it, this is completely compensated by cool details like the angled sections :thumbup: 

Also, do I spot a dragon's den amidst the rockwork?

Edited by TitusV

Very nice work!  I like the juxtaposition of the tan and dark red church against the grey and olive castle walls.  I also like the texture of the castle walls--nice color choice, and enough detail without being too busy.  I agree about the proportions with most of the comments above--something looks odd (and I know it's because of the 48x48 constraint), but the funny thing is, that to me, it looks more like the proportions of the old classic castle sets.  Pretty cool.  The tree growing on the side of the rocks and wall is also a nice touch.  Well done!

On 7/26/2018 at 9:44 AM, TitusV said:

A very nice castle for sure! Combininig tan and l bley is an audacious decision, but I think you've pulled it off quite well! Though I'm not completely sold on the texture (especially on the church's roof - which has amazing colours, by the way), probably because you have combined so many different kinds of it, this is completely compensated by cool details like the angled sections :thumbup: 

Also, do I spot a dragon's den amidst the rockwork?

That is indeed a dragons den! Or maybe some other creature's nest, who knows?

11 hours ago, Grover said:

Very nice work!  I like the juxtaposition of the tan and dark red church against the grey and olive castle walls.  I also like the texture of the castle walls--nice color choice, and enough detail without being too busy.  I agree about the proportions with most of the comments above--something looks odd (and I know it's because of the 48x48 constraint), but the funny thing is, that to me, it looks more like the proportions of the old classic castle sets.  Pretty cool.  The tree growing on the side of the rocks and wall is also a nice touch.  Well done!

It kinda does resemble some classic castles! Maybe its because of the raised baseplates in some of those sets?

9 hours ago, Andrew Spader said:

Insanely cool! I love the way you did the Cross

All credit for the cross design goes to Simon NH on flickr, he used it on a church he did a while ago. I just stole it directly! :tongue:

Great work on this, you've really progressed since the first castle you shared here!  I love that you squeezed so many interiors into this, they really breath a lot of life into an already impressive build.

As others have said, I think your chapel roof could use a little more refinement, particularly on the tower.  Also regarding the tower, is that supposed to house a bell?  I think some of the stained glass in there would have been better suited to go where the lion heads are on the front and rear facades of the chapel itself, so that the images and the stories they tell can be viewed by the people inside the chapel.  

All in all, very well done, and congrats on the feature on the Brothers Brick!

20 hours ago, The Stad said:

Great work on this, you've really progressed since the first castle you shared here!  I love that you squeezed so many interiors into this, they really breath a lot of life into an already impressive build.

As others have said, I think your chapel roof could use a little more refinement, particularly on the tower.  Also regarding the tower, is that supposed to house a bell?  I think some of the stained glass in there would have been better suited to go where the lion heads are on the front and rear facades of the chapel itself, so that the images and the stories they tell can be viewed by the people inside the chapel.  

All in all, very well done, and congrats on the feature on the Brothers Brick!

Thanks, I think I've learned a lot since last year just by looking at everyone's MOCs. As for the tower, I actually envisioned it to be a small room, maybe an attic. I really wanted to fit the lion heads somewhere (I got them from a bunch of old Knight's Kingdom sets at a thrift store and have never used them before), and I just thought it would look more balanced to put them where they are instead of on the tower. Being featured on the Brothers Brick has been a dream of mine, so thanks for that!

16 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Great moc, especially the church. 

Glad to hear you like it!

Great looking gatehouse! Nice angle on that one! I like the colourscheme with LBG and tan! 

Go Avalonia!=)

Very unique build composition with the relatively small base, yet plenty of terrain height. I like it :thumbup: The rockwork, vegetation, and winding path all come together beautifully :wub:
You made very good use of what space you had for the castle, and angled gatehouse is quite striking. I agree that the church looks a little odd overall, though the various individual techniques are all excellent.
And all the interiors you fit in are lovely! Great little benches in the chapel, cute beds, plenty of weapons and supplies, and even a small kitchen :classic: