If you still remember the Mitsubishi Pajero that I posted about 6 months ago, you will know that there is another 4x4 MOC with similar drivetrain which I haven’t published yet.

Well, the model was actually finished long ago, but the video was long overdue for some reasons.

Now, finally, presenting my latest MOC: Dual-Driveshaft Pickup.

41812685280_b8a06d8fc9_b.jpg

Dimensions: 350 mm (L) x 150 mm (W) x 165 mm (H)

Weight: 1237 g

Parts count: 1660 pcs

41812687530_12e2aefcca_b.jpg

Outdoor test video (4K):

The main feature of this MOC is obviously the driveshaft, so how does it work?

Instead of presenting photos and explaining with lines of words, this time I made a short video to tell you all about it.

This is my first time doing voiceover, as we don’t speak English in China at all, please bear with me for my accent and grammar:  :sad:

I’m not sure if I made myself clear enough in this video, so feel free to leave a comment.

more photos:

42903353774_e6b4da666f_b.jpg

29751115268_927d10c8c0_b.jpg

41812693600_8d17805573_b.jpg

42903357624_8c9e9de1da_b.jpg

42903351124_4ecca52d98_b.jpg

42717202275_6b75d34c22_b.jpg

29751116558_2889fa85eb_b.jpg

Lastly, I’ve already created building instructions, it will be available very soon.

Hope you like it and stay tuned!

Amazing model - especially love the shapes, the live axles and the double driveshaft.

And your English is excellent.

I wish I could speak English so fluently as you...

As for the model you've done a great job again - the combination of technical ingenuity with prominent look. Well done!

I absolutely love this model and the design is very clean and elegant.  

I have traveled to China multiple times over the last 2 years for work and do understand your reasoning. However, your English is excellent and comparative to native speakers. 

very nice drive shaft. I was going to post a question about limiting differential skip a little while ago but this seems to answer it. 

I have a lot of skip off 2x XL motors from the 20t to differential. so this is possibly perfect.

thanks for sharing.

I've done an 3 axle 3 drive shaft and they all have connections to their own XL motor mount which they coupled. .but I kept on blowing out the U-joints and I lost 3 of them on the second run.  :( .. Excellent use of colors.. Black light weight  body, light gray blue light weight frame with DGB color is the heaviest in weight and weight = strength supporting the important areas.. Great job!! 

Wow! This is absolutely incredible! I have never seen dual-driveshaft car before! I will be happy to build it!

Kevin Your English is excellent as for the accent, you should do radio work as its clear and precise.

A well engineered drive train, certainly on my build list.

It looks bulky as pickup should be. Really good job :thumbup:

Good shaping, reminds Toyota (You have label) Tacuma (but no label for this). 

Driveshaft is really unic, also good technical design.

Bold truck! Almost like Tundra. Genious transmission than should handle even Buwizz power! 

Thanks for ideas.

Little advise: reconnect cardan shafts pairs like on the picture for a little bit smoother run. I also prefer servo motor on the axle at my last models for less bump and backlash steering...

As for the wheels: do you have larger wheels? Check LEGO 68 mm wheels or may be RC4WD 68 mm tires will be good here, except fact that  they are little bit narrow for such bold truck.

jWK7w8wkVhk.jpg

Edited by rm8

2 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

Nifty idea, looks solid. Does the lack of CV joints prevent the suspension from actually working?

In fact suspension works pretty well, it can keep all four wheels on the ground for most of the time, even on some rough terrains.

2 hours ago, rm8 said:

Bold truck! Almost like Tundra. Genious transmission than should handle even Buwizz power! 

Thanks for ideas.

Little advise: reconnect cardan shafts pairs like on the picture for a little bit smoother run. I also prefer servo motor on the axle at my last models for less bump and backlash steering...

As for the wheels: do you have larger wheels? Check LEGO 68 mm wheels or may be RC4WD 68 mm tires will be good here, except fact that  they are little bit narrow for such bold truck.

I haven’t tried high torque output yet, but I think it should have a better performance than single driveshaft at least. 

You are correct about the u-joints, I always forgot about that  :snicker:

I also hate the backlash of steering for this setup, after struggling for a while I still chose this solution simply because it has a better profile look. I mean it looks cleaner from the side.

As for the wheels, both axles have really great suspension travels, the front wheels nearly touches the body when cornering with the shock compressed, so larger wheels might be problematic for off-road drive.

Kevin you did a fantastic job on this truck!! Great video’s and the best explanation how it all works. Thanks for making plans for sure on my build list! BTW your forklift is the best I ever built and is still on one of my collection shelves.

Very well designed video and a good video.

One suggestion. You can use the dual driveshaft drive to power left and right wheels indpendently. This way the model can still steer well, but there are no drawbacks of an open differential.

5 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

Very well designed video and a good video.

One suggestion. You can use the dual driveshaft drive to power left and right wheels indpendently. This way the model can still steer well, but there are no drawbacks of an open differential.

Thanks. There are too many examples of independently driven left and right wheels, so I thought I should try something different. Besides this is also an experimental MOC, diff locks will be added in future MOCs.

20 hours ago, KevinMoo said:

Thanks. There are too many examples of independently driven left and right wheels, so I thought I should try something different. Besides this is also an experimental MOC, diff locks will be added in future MOCs.

But I see one design flaw with your set up. At high suspension flex angles, your system will experience desync of the axles.

9 hours ago, Zerobricks said:

But I see one design flaw with your set up. At high suspension flex angles, your system will experience desync of the axles.

This is the whole drivetrain. Could you be more specific about the desync? I'm aware of the incorrectly oriented u-joints, that's a mistake I always make.

42783024805_4f995e3cf9_b.jpg

24 minutes ago, KevinMoo said:

This is the whole drivetrain. Could you be more specific about the desync? I'm aware of the incorrectly oriented u-joints, that's a mistake I always make.

It's same sitation as the actuators used to lift the 42082, which get desynced at higher angles. Imagine one of your axle flexes 90 degrees. One of the driveshafts will gain +90 degrees and other one will lose 90 degrees. This will cause one of them to carry much higher load and othe other one can even oppose it. You can try it by fixing U joints to the frame and to the axle and trying to flex the axle.