Here is the second small building I built for the Guilds of Historica display at Brickworld. Like my first house, it was placed on Kevin’s island.

I have been wanting to use bright light orange for a thatched roof for some time, and finally got around to doing so with this model.

2-2.jpg

2-2-1.jpg

Few pictures of the whole GoH display at Brickworld:
1-4.jpg

5-3.jpg

2-4.jpg

3-4.jpg

More pictures of the cottage are available on Brickbuilt.

Thanks for looking, and as always, your feedback is appreciated :classic: 

Such a sweet cottage, but why have I never even heard of this lovely colour? :drool: Only remark on the roof could be that the toothplates look a bit regular to me, maybe these could be more randomised?

Also, a very sweet window design, mind if I'd borrow it one day?

Yeah, that color works really well for roof. I have a total of twelve pieces of that color. :grin:

I like this cottage so much better than the house you posted a few days ago! The roof is great, the walls are great, the windows are great, and best of all is the little porch railing. I am rather inclined to side with Titus that the teeth are a bit too regular, but it does not look bad. Maybe a few more of the 1x2 curved slopes on the edge would help break up the regularity, too. Great work!

I like the roof!  It's hard to create a believable thatched roof with plates and tiles, but you managed to do so.  I tried over and over trying to get it right, and couldn't (which is why I went with technic), but you've done a great job.  Amusingly, I think my favorite part is the chimney top.  Great use of the panels!  I think you are the master of tiny details, such as the windowsills here.  Great job!

That colour was made for this purpose! Lovely colour and great roof! I like how many details the walls have, yet it seem so clean! Great work my friend!

On 7/24/2018 at 5:16 PM, TitusV said:

Such a sweet cottage, but why have I never even heard of this lovely colour? :drool: Only remark on the roof could be that the toothplates look a bit regular to me, maybe these could be more randomised?

Also, a very sweet window design, mind if I'd borrow it one day?

Thanks Titus! I tried to keep the tooth plates fairly random, but must not have succeeded :laugh:
And you can always borrow my techniques :wink:

On 7/25/2018 at 8:22 AM, KevinyWu said:

Yeah, that color works really well for roof. I have a total of twelve pieces of that color. :grin:

Thanks Kevin! We found the tooth plates on the PaB wall, and so have many more of those than we need :laugh: Then we were able to pick out some nice plates and tiles from some bricks our local LUG has.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:49 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

I like this cottage so much better than the house you posted a few days ago! The roof is great, the walls are great, the windows are great, and best of all is the little porch railing. I am rather inclined to side with Titus that the teeth are a bit too regular, but it does not look bad. Maybe a few more of the 1x2 curved slopes on the edge would help break up the regularity, too. Great work!

Thanks HQ!

On 7/26/2018 at 10:53 PM, Grover said:

I like the roof!  It's hard to create a believable thatched roof with plates and tiles, but you managed to do so.  I tried over and over trying to get it right, and couldn't (which is why I went with technic), but you've done a great job.  Amusingly, I think my favorite part is the chimney top.  Great use of the panels!  I think you are the master of tiny details, such as the windowsills here.  Great job!

Thank you Grover! Various texture things like thatch roofs, rockwork, usually just take a lot of practice

On 7/28/2018 at 4:06 PM, de Gothia said:

That colour was made for this purpose! Lovely colour and great roof! I like how many details the walls have, yet it seem so clean! Great work my friend!

Thanks dG, it certainly is a good color for thatch!

Very nice color to use for thatched roofs!
That whole GoH display was awesome btw, seeing such a good turnout of GoH builds at Brickworld was probably what gave me hope of a rekindling of the game :classic: 

A fine little house! Since everyone seems to be weighing in on the roof, I think it would have been good to add more of the tooth pieces along the eaves and also to have layered them on the face of the roof, so the surface kind of stepped up the further up it went.  Then a gain, that might have been a bit texture-heavy.