1 hour ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Then what about Pythor? The purple wasn't in the classic sets that much. Also even if that was the case I feel like this wave overused them. They could have easily put lizaru,Acidicus, or that snake villain in the sets. All would still fit the color scheme. 

I just wish they hadn't overused them so much

The Serpentine vehicles did use purple, and besides that his role in the plot of that season is much more significant. Lizaru and Acidicus would have been nice but would have required yet another long unused mold to be reintroduced (the spikier Venomari head mold). Believe me, I wish there was a little more variety as well (at least enough so that the Ultra Dragon set had some different figs than the Storm Fighter, Blade Cycle, and snowmobile), but ultimately I can understand why the figs we got were chosen.

Also the banner for the 2012 set was in green with green scales too. So yeah. I'm pretty fine with how the snake minifigs are, I still wish that the skeletons are a tad bit better. Like having a better armor in the least. 

Edited by JJ Tong (zfogshooterz)

7 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Then what about Pythor? The purple wasn't in the classic sets that much. Also even if that was the case I feel like this wave overused them. They could have easily put lizaru,Acidicus, or that snake villain in the sets. All would still fit the color scheme. 

I just wish they hadn't overused them so much

The choice to use Pythor is easy to explain: he’s simply the most popular Serpentine of them all, plus one of the best Ninjago villains ever.

On 2/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm not desiring any form of realism from the theme, just a look that can be more easily pigeonholed into a particular preexisting subgenre.

And, come on, that's not a bad thing to desire. :def_shrug:

I think part of the issue here is that you are being unreasonably particular about what kind of "look" can belong to a "particular preexisting subgenre", and about that being preferable to the long history of hybrid-genre storytelling that can't be so easily "pigeonholed".

I mean, in Star Wars, Han Solo dresses like a cowboy, Obi-Wan dresses like a monk, and Lando dresses like a disco dancer, even when flying highly advanced spaceships. In Doctor Who, even the Doctor's most bizarre outfits from over the decades don't typically look particularly high tech or futuristic. But that doesn't diminish either series' qualifications as a staple of science fiction storytelling.

So I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to act as though LEGO themes ought to be designed entirely in line with a far stricter sci-fi or historical fantasy rulebook.

20 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Purple was a pretty major part of the color scheme of the Serpentine-related builds/vehicles. Since there are no enemy vehicles in the Legacy sets, the minifigures and shrines have to pick up the slack when it comes to establishing that 2012 Serpentine aesthetic.

There's also the matter of most of the Legacy villains being redesigns of fairly memorable familiar characters from the show. Acidicus hasn't had too big a role in the show, to the point that I don't remember if he was ever even mentioned or credited by name.

Couple all that with Pythor being more or less Season One's "main villain", and the likely cost incentive of Pythor's head mold having been in use more recently than other major villains', and he's a natural choice to appear in the Legacy sets.

2 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I think part of the issue here is that you are being unreasonably particular about what kind of "look" can belong to a "particular preexisting subgenre", and about that being preferable to the long history of hybrid-genre storytelling that can't be so easily "pigeonholed".

I mean, in Star Wars, Han Solo dresses like a cowboy, Obi-Wan dresses like a monk, and Lando dresses like a disco dancer, even when flying highly advanced spaceships. In Doctor Who, even the Doctor's most bizarre outfits from over the decades don't typically look particularly high tech or futuristic. But that doesn't diminish either series' qualifications as a staple of science fiction storytelling.

So I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to act as though LEGO themes ought to be designed entirely in line with a far stricter sci-fi or historical fantasy rulebook.

Well, I for one find those cited examples (Star Wars and Doctor Who) to be as incoherently specific as Ninjago is, so those are some pretty apt comparisons. 

I am really not feeling the new suit designs overall. I like Nya’s suit a lot and Cole’s suit is pretty cool too; but the rest don’t grab me. Lloyd’s lack of a mask/cowl piece is kinda disappointing. As someone who jumped into Ninjago with TLNM sets, the suit designs as a whole haven’t grabbed me since. I do like the new Zane head, though. I will probably get that figure and put that head on my TLNM Zane.

6 minutes ago, Henry Bricklider said:

I am really not feeling the new suit designs overall. I like Nya’s suit a lot and Cole’s suit is pretty cool too; but the rest don’t grab me. Lloyd’s lack of a mask/cowl piece is kinda disappointing. As someone who jumped into Ninjago with TLNM sets, the suit designs as a whole haven’t grabbed me since. I do like the new Zane head, though. I will probably get that figure and put that head on my TLNM Zane.

Can 99.9% guarantee Lloyd has a hood piece in a set 

43 minutes ago, Cyclone_37 said:

Can 99.9% guarantee Lloyd has a hood piece in a set 

I was really judging these simply based on the images we’ve seen. You’re right, there will most likely be a hood piece for Lloyd. It is just weird seeing the other five ninja with hood pieces and Lloyd not being presented with one.

On 2/24/2019 at 6:23 PM, Lyichir said:

The Serpentine vehicles did use purple, and besides that his role in the plot of that season is much more significant. Lizaru and Acidicus would have been nice but would have required yet another long unused mold to be reintroduced (the spikier Venomari head mold). Believe me, I wish there was a little more variety as well (at least enough so that the Ultra Dragon set had some different figs than the Storm Fighter, Blade Cycle, and snowmobile), but ultimately I can understand why the figs we got were chosen

Purple was like an accent color at most, and like the only reintroduced head mold was Spitta, which could have easily been recolored for the hypnobrai. There's also that snake villain head mold, which is so overused but still...

Also can I ask why Ninjago replaced the old bamboo hats with new ones? They don't really save plastic and seem to maybe use more.

1 hour ago, Henry Bricklider said:

I am really not feeling the new suit designs overall. I like Nya’s suit a lot and Cole’s suit is pretty cool too; but the rest don’t grab me. Lloyd’s lack of a mask/cowl piece is kinda disappointing.

I can nearly 100% guarantee you that he has a mask, they probably left it off for display.. (I can't be 100 percent sure because despite people talking so much about these "leaks" if you can call them that I've yet to see any pictures.

3 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, I for one find those cited examples (Star Wars and Doctor Who) to be as incoherently specific as Ninjago is, so those are some pretty apt comparisons. 

And why is your subjective opinion the only right one? I mean Ninjago's look is pretty consistent. It can't be 100% as the ninja must face new foes but c'mon...

Just now, Thedarkmaster2 said:

And why is your subjective opinion the only right one?

Subjective opinions are never right nor wrong. They're just one's insignificant feelings about something. :def_shrug:

Just now, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Purple was like an accent color at most, and like the only reintroduced head mold was Spitta, which could have easily been recolored for the hypnobrai. There's also that snake villain head mold, which is so overused but still...

Also can I ask why Ninjago replaced the old bamboo hats with new ones? They don't really save plastic and seem to maybe use more.

They could have had Hypnobrai, but again I think they stuck to just one tribe so that they'd make more sense as a cohesive "faction" even for newer fans who might be less familiar with all the distinct Serpentine tribes.

And the old bamboo hats haven't been "replaced" since they still appear on Sensei Wu. I imagine they only used the new ones on the Stone Warriors for variety's sake—this is their second reappearance (after Day of the Departed) so they probably felt like trying something new with the designs, much like they did with the other character designs in the Legacy sets.

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

And the old bamboo hats haven't been "replaced" since they still appear on Sensei Wu. I imagine they only used the new ones on the Stone Warriors for variety's sake—this is their second reappearance (after Day of the Departed) so they probably felt like trying something new with the designs, much like they did with the other character designs in the Legacy sets.

Thanks for the clarification, I was just confused why they were used/ created since a similar piece already exists.

I’m very curious to see what the  villains  will look like for the summer sets. The general consensus  seems to be an ice based, but I’m not sure if that’s due to statements from the showrunners (I haven’t been active on Twitter in years) or just assumptions from the leaked set names.

I took another look at the leaked photos of the white wolf/fox earlier today; while I was initially assuming it to be some sort of mount/animal, now I’m wondering if it’s a transformed character. The eyes are very expressive, and something about the markings seem similar to the elemental symbols on the new ninja outfits. 

1 hour ago, panagliamp said:

One of the new villans for season 11 named:Pyro Lasher.Intresting...It remind's me some sort of fire!

Interesting; I wonder if he (or she) uses a flame whip. It would be cool to see a team of antagonists that mirror the ninja’s elements.

There's apparently a fire vs ice theme, and there are Ice Samurai and Pyro Snakes. Maybe two villain groups are fighting each other?

Edited by GarmaFan

I've ranted about the ninja's symbols before, and I'll will do it again. For reference:

On 12/4/2017 at 11:31 PM, Exetrius said:

In my opinion, both the animalistic symbols and the character-like symbols of (for example) the Zukin suits look much better than the movie symbols. The character-like symbols all feature at least one horizontal and one vertical stroke, and are approximately of the same 'visual weight'. All of them are in gold (Zane is an exception to the rule). Compare that to the inconsistent mess that is the movie symbols: some only have straight strokes, others are mostly round, one is triangular, some look significantly more complex than others and there are no less than three different colours!

In short: I hope the original signature symbols will be coming back after SoG. 

On 12/18/2018 at 9:49 PM, Exetrius said:

In the past I have expressed my dissatisfaction with the insignias that the ninja got in TLNM and then in the SoG wave as well. Hence, I feel obliged to celebrate the return of their pseudo-kanji insignias (and I genuinely do!).

So we're almost at the 4th generation of ninja insignias. In the past they alternated between the animalistic and the elemental symbols, sometimes using both simultaneously. But then the movie came out, which rebooted the elemental symbols and ditched the animalistic ones. And then the legacy wave used the pre-movie elemental symbols again, which I thought would therefore remain for a while, but apparently not? Time will tell...

Anyway, I think the upcoming pseudo-kanji characters much more consistent on the whole: comparable complexity (number of strokes), consistent shapes of strokes, and relatively consistent "visual weight". It's as if they have read my quote above (one can dream...)! :grin: On the other hand, now almost every ninja will have their insignia in a different colour, on top of the already very colourful bandanas, but that can be more easily changed in the waves to come. 

Those shoulder pads seem to have a symbol on them as well, I wonder what that's about. 

18 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

There's apparently a fire vs ice theme, and there are Ice Samurai and Pyro Snakes. Maybe two villain groups are fighting each other?

More snakes? Someone on Ninijago team surely does love snakes! I mean 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2019 had a ton of snakes.

The summer wave sounds interesting, but I'm still hoping for another Ninjago City Expansion.

6 hours ago, benderisgreat said:

More snakes? Someone on Ninijago team surely does love snakes! I mean 2012, 2015, 2017 and 2019 had a ton of snakes.

To be fair they've been different each time, The Serpentine, the cultists, and The Vermillion (Love Machia)

9 hours ago, legozebra said:

Ninjago is once again among the top 5 bestselling themes, as per the annual 2018 results report: https://www.lego.com/en-us/aboutus/news-room/2019/february/annual-results-2018/

Doesn't look like it's going anywhere anytime soon!

I bet you people will still say it's going to be cancelled

7 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Hard to tell until we get pictures

On 2/26/2019 at 8:02 AM, Thedarkmaster2 said:

Thanks for the clarification, I was just confused why they were used/ created since a similar piece already exists.

The new hat design was created for The LEGO Ninjago Movie. If I had to guess, it was just to offer more variety, since a lot of figures in the movie sets (civilians and major characters like Wu and Garmadon alike) wear one hat or the other, and it would feel extremely repetitive if that many characters had to share just ONE hat design.

7 hours ago, Exetrius said:

I've ranted about the ninja's symbols before, and I'll will do it again. For reference:

So we're almost at the 4th generation of ninja insignias. In the past they alternated between the animalistic and the elemental symbols, sometimes using both simultaneously. But then the movie came out, which rebooted the elemental symbols and ditched the animalistic ones. And then the legacy wave used the pre-movie elemental symbols again, which I thought would therefore remain for a while, but apparently not? Time will tell...

Anyway, I think the upcoming pseudo-kanji characters much more consistent on the whole: comparable complexity (number of strokes), consistent shapes of strokes, and relatively consistent "visual weight". It's as if they have read my quote above (one can dream...)! :grin: On the other hand, now almost every ninja will have their insignia in a different colour, on top of the already very colourful bandanas, but that can be more easily changed in the waves to come.

Since you didn't mention it in your post, I should point out that the new symbols on the ninja's hoods are just the first letter of each of their names in the cipher-based Ninjagon language introduced in The LEGO Ninjago Movie (specifically the "King" font from this sheet). So on a conceptual level it's definitely a step up in consistency than their hoods from the movie, which sometimes used the first letter/letters of their name, sometimes the first letter of their element, and sometimes something else entirely.

I’ve heard that the next wave will be villain fighting villain fighting the ninja. The story will be super interesting if this is the case. I wonder how Zane and Kai will play into the story if there is a ice vs. fire theme. There’s this rumour that Zane will become an Ice Emperor, will Kai become a Fire King?

5 hours ago, Thedarkmaster2 said:

I bet you people will still say it's going to be cancelled

It hurts how true this is...