I like back of the masks, but does it mean there can't be shoulder pads under them?

I'm not a fan of new Kai. There literally aren't any details.

Erk. Okay, that settles it; when these new figs come out I am replacing their hoods with more recent, movie-style versions. 

Honestly, what is Lego thinking . .

Kai's alright. He has the golden dragon print, so that's fine with me. Though it is a bit sparse . . . 

26 minutes ago, Feng-huang0296 said:

Erk. Okay, that settles it; when these new figs come out I am replacing their hoods with more recent, movie-style versions. 

Honestly, what is Lego thinking . .

Kai's alright. He has the golden dragon print, so that's fine with me. Though it is a bit sparse . . . 

Honestly? This is probably a direct response to the initial backlash Sons of Garmadon got when they used the movie hoods and designs (something I never understood; the movie hoods are amazing) and an attempt to harken back to "classic" Ninjago, which is what this wave is all about. Now that people have gotten over the movie designs and have grown to like them, then Lego just now implements these classic-esque hoods with more limited head articulation, etc. 

1 hour ago, legozebra said:

Honestly? This is probably a direct response to the initial backlash Sons of Garmadon got when they used the movie hoods and designs (something I never understood; the movie hoods are amazing) and an attempt to harken back to "classic" Ninjago, which is what this wave is all about. Now that people have gotten over the movie designs and have grown to like them, then Lego just now implements these classic-esque hoods with more limited head articulation, etc. 

Did people really care that much about the hoods, the designs is a constant complaint I've seen but I've never seen anything about the hoods. 

1 hour ago, KaiNinjaOfFire said:

Did people really care that much about the hoods, the designs is a constant complaint I've seen but I've never seen anything about the hoods. 

I heard a lot of complaints when the movie first was coming out, so that was what Lego could have been responding to. Never understood it - the movie hoods are the best we've gotten in my opinion, especially for poseability and head movement. This just feels like a step back.

3 hours ago, legozebra said:

I heard a lot of complaints when the movie first was coming out, so that was what Lego could have been responding to. Never understood it - the movie hoods are the best we've gotten in my opinion, especially for poseability and head movement. This just feels like a step back.

More like two steps back. It's one thing to abandon the two-part assembly style, which I really liked and wanted to see more parts that followed that system. But those big (and pointless) ribbons at the back that make it impossible for shoulder armour to be used? (With the possible exception of quivers for Zane?) That just completely ruins it for me. Bring back the movie masks!

21 minutes ago, Boogly22238 said:

What? What was wrong with those hoods? I liked the simplicity above the split assembly and how they were more versatile.

From what I've seen:

• Taking the bottom half off is hard.
  • Just not liking the way it looks. Not ninja-like enough.
  • Connotation with the movie and redesigns.

6 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

• Just not liking the way it looks. Not ninja-like enough.

I never got this complaint, to me the sleekness of the mask looked more ninja-like than the bulky hoods introduced in 2015. It's just different strokes for different folks I guess!:shrug_oh_well:

I'm not totally opposed to the new hoods. While they do seem to hinder posability much more than the movie hoods, I do like the aesthetic of the long hanging ribbon.

It's worth pointing out that change for change's sake is actually a legitimate approach for new designs, and in fact is a big part of why we ever get new costumes in the first place. New costumes are one of the quickest ways to establish that sets are in fact new and different from the ones kids might already have. The movie hoods have been in use for three consecutive waves now, each with its own twist on the color scheme and color layout. By comparison, the previous hoods introduced in Possession had been in use for four waves before being replaced. While obviously there's room to debate whether this new design was the best option, a change of some sort was probably due eventually.

The movie hoods had some drawbacks as well. The main one is simply that it added an extra step to removing the hoods or swapping them for hair. I imagine that might have had a big impact on kids' play with the figures, since having to remove the entire head just to unmask a character "interrupts" storytelling to a much greater extent than simply swapping normal headgear.

Finally, keep in mind that the lack of movie hoods in this wave doesn't necessarily mean they're gone for good. The Possession hoods and Rebooted masks were used alternately for the ninja for several years (sometimes even within the same wave), and even the classic 2011 ninja wrap has reappeared for characters like Ash and Lil' Nelson.

The new hoods are still cool. Just the longer ribbons are my issue.

Personal preference I guess.

Cole and Nya have leaked, don't know if these are the main suits but they look good.

22 hours ago, Boogly22238 said:

The new hoods are still cool. Just the longer ribbons are my issue.

Personal preference I guess.

Cole and Nya have leaked, don't know if these are the main suits but they look good.

They are main suits.

Dang, I'm surprised so many people satisfied by it. I like seeing Garmadon look similar to way he used to in the show's prime, but.. he is literally 2012 Garmadon with a new face print. I guess after the movie, looking as much like the old days is good enough.

Eh, I'm not gonna complain. This is supposed to be a throwback wave, it makes sense that they'd be accurate to Ninjago's past, 

Also, am I the only one who's hoping Pythor and that new Lasha aren't the only Serpentine?

10 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

2019 Garmadon leaked....it might be from the spinners or it might come in a actual set 

I think someone reliable said that he comes in the spinner dual pack. 

There are sneak peaks of new Lloyd. He is going to leak today.

4 hours ago, Cyclone_37 said:

I like that the Garmadon is very faithful to the original, a big change really wasn’t necessary for him in this wave 

I'm not saying he should have six arms, but it kinda feels like they went backwards from the Sons of Garmadon design.

And why do some things look like new versions of old things (Garmadon, Pythor, Wu, Samurai Nya), but some things look completely new (new Ninja suits, completely new Overlord)?

Edited by GarmaFan

33 minutes ago, GarmaFan said:

I'm not saying he should have six arms, but it kinda feels like they went backwards from the Sons of Garmadon design.

And why do some things look like new versions of old things (Garmadon, Pythor, Wu, Samurai Nya), but some things look completely new (new Ninja suits, completely new Overlord)?

I totally agree. I get referencing the past, but all of these feel like a step back from current Ninjago, which reimagines characters and situations with a modern design standpoint, not just 2012 all over again. I do appreciate the idea of a legacy-esque wave, though, and the opportunity to get rehashed new designs is a huge opportunity.

The designs for Pythor and Garmadon will be explained in due time but I agree it’s very confilcting with what is established right now in the timeline, and am I the only one who likes Kai’s new suit

2 hours ago, Sr1847 said:

The designs for Pythor and Garmadon will be explained in due time but I agree it’s very confilcting with what is established right now in the timeline, and am I the only one who likes Kai’s new suit

The photo of the leaked one is a little crappy but the fig itself looks like it'll look better IRL. The suits look to be pretty on point to me—sort of an evolution of the ninja's classic DX dragon suits.

3 minutes ago, obsidianheart said:

Samukai leak looks like a render. Is it actually a figure coming out?

Eh. I still hav the one from 2011, and other than the feet it looks unchanged. Definitely not a priority for me.