The ninja mask pieces and torsos along with the brick used for the Ultra Dragon's eye have leaked on Instagram if anyone was wondering. Everything is looking good so far.

54 minutes ago, NetherCreeper said:

That overlord figure sounds amazing! Then again, knowing Lego there is a good chance it's only in the largest set. The rest of this sounds great too. Can't wait to see the giant stone warrior!

It sounds like it’s would be in yha golden dragon. Since it’s going to be 4 armed we know it won’t be from the rebooted version. And it doesn’t really make sense to put it in the earth driller 

Hoods look nice on the outside, but I loved the full head turning the Ninjago Movie hoods allowed - it looks like these will limit head movement like the old hoods, unfortunately

3 minutes ago, KaiNinjaOfFire said:

I don't like that they're seemingly moving Nya back to the dark red. The gunmetal was a lot better, it made her far more distinguishable from the other ninja. 

I couldn't disagree more. Grey is an incredibly boring colour and I lamented its prevalence in her suits. This is much better. 

Also, yay, seven hundredth and seventy-seventh post!

Just now, Feng-huang0296 said:

I couldn't disagree more. Grey is an incredibly boring colour and I lamented its prevalence in her suits. This is much better. 

Also, yay, seven hundredth and seventy-seventh post!

Eh, the dark red makes her look too similar to Kai. (Just look at the skybound suits) With the grey it felt like they were making her more her own. And the blue and red don’t complement each other as well as the grey and blue imo. 

Weird that Zane's suit looks so much like Kai and Nya's in Season 8.

2 hours ago, ninjagoyax555 said:

is it some kind of reboot or something ? either way I am loving it soo far 

As far as we know, 2019 continues the story, so most likely not.

2 hours ago, ninjagoyax555 said:

is it some kind of reboot or something ? either way I am loving it soo far 

as far as we know so far, these sets are from a set of 4 specials that will come in between hunted and whatever the oni season will be called, which is being made to celebrate ninjago hitting 100 episodes. these are likely either totally unrelated to the story and are just throwbacks as part of celebrating that, or the story will involve flashbacks or time travel in some way.

I actually like the grey color scheme with blue accents on Nya for several reasons. For one, it generally feels more suitable for a water character. Gray is not the first color one normally associates with water, but seeing it with blue accents at least calls to mind stormy seas or big dark rain clouds, whereas red has almost nothing to do with water. It's obvious as what it is — a holdover from the early waves where the Ninjago trading cards, website, spinners, and even her phoenix insignia strongly implied she was a fire-aligned character like her brother Kai.

Even when her red costume does include blue, like her costumes from Possession and Day of the Departed, they wind up competing for dominance, with the red often overpowering the blue. (a somewhat confusing line in Possession where she says her suit is her "favorite color" makes me wonder if when the season was being written there were thoughts of blue, which had been clearly identified as her favorite color numerous times before, making up a bigger part of its color scheme).

Additionally, when her main colors are red and blue, they overlap a lot with Kai's and Jay's. Before Nya became a ninja, it was easy and common for written works to refer to the others as The Red Ninja, the Blue Ninja, the White Ninja, etc. But with red being the ONLY color constant to her Season 5, 6, and Day of the Departed costumes, during those seasons she could only be referred to as the Water Ninja, and even continuing to call Kai and Jay the Red Ninja and Blue Ninja became a potentially confusing prospect. "Look everybody! It's the Red Ninja!" "Which one?"

And none of this is to say I don't like all those other ninja designs she's had before adopting the gray. In particular, her Airjitzu form was gorgeous, but it also laid bare the problem with thinking of her as "the Other Red Ninja" or "the Maroon Ninja" — the Airjitzu suits, like NRG suits before them, were supposed to make the ninja look like their bodies had become a fountain of pure elemental energy. She ended up having to break the "black suit with colorful face, arms, and patterns" rule the other Airjitzu ninja had followed, because no shade of red could possibly make it look like she had been transfigured into water. Beautiful as it was, that design epitomized the way her less straightforward color alignment kept her out-of-place among the group.

I think my favorite costume of hers was definitely her Hands of Time one, which introduced Titanium Metallic to her color scheme (though it could arguably be seen as a callback to her original Samurai X armor) and returned to her distinctive motifs from her past designs the shape of her shirt collar. She still had some Dark Red in that costume, but only for subtle accents that didn't in any way compete for attention with the Dark Azur. And later, it made me quite happy when material for the LEGO Ninjago Movie called her the Silver Ninja (even if it was a bit ironic that this name corresponded to a suit in the LEGO color named Titanium Metallic, considering previously Zane had worn a suit using a lot of the LEGO color Silver Metallic and been called the Titanium Ninja).

I wonder if the gray was unpopular and it's being ditched for good, if the red's being brought back due to the whole wave being a sort of throwback to before she became the Water Ninja, or if the red's being brought back so people don't get confused about her colors as Samurai X not matching her colors as a ninja. I guess it'll be some time before we know for sure.

3 hours ago, mrfang2 said:

as far as we know so far, these sets are from a set of 4 specials that will come in between hunted and whatever the oni season will be called, which is being made to celebrate ninjago hitting 100 episodes. these are likely either totally unrelated to the story and are just throwbacks as part of celebrating that, or the story will involve flashbacks or time travel in some way.

Actually you are wrong. Tommy Andreasen confirmed that the 4 Episode special will be the last installment in the Oni storyline. Season 10 will be completely irrelevant and it will most likely feature the time twins or a new villain.

The new designs look decent, perhaps a little simplistic, but I do like how they seem to combine design elements from the DX and rebooted suits.

I'm not really a fan of Nya's colours going back to dark red since it's not one that is associated with water. Hopefully it's just for this one wave, since I'm pretty sure that these sets will have no relevance to the current story, and they switch back to gunmetal for subsequent releases. 

8 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I actually like the grey color scheme with blue accents on Nya for several reasons. For one, it generally feels more suitable for a water character. Gray is not the first color one normally associates with water, but seeing it with blue accents at least calls to mind stormy seas or big dark rain clouds, whereas red has almost nothing to do with water. It's obvious as what it is — a holdover from the early waves where the Ninjago trading cards, website, spinners, and even her phoenix insignia strongly implied she was a fire-aligned character like her brother Kai.

Even when her red costume does include blue, like her costumes from Possession and Day of the Departed, they wind up competing for dominance, with the red often overpowering the blue. (a somewhat confusing line in Possession where she says her suit is her "favorite color" makes me wonder if when the season was being written there were thoughts of blue, which had been clearly identified as her favorite color numerous times before, making up a bigger part of its color scheme).

Additionally, when her main colors are red and blue, they overlap a lot with Kai's and Jay's. Before Nya became a ninja, it was easy and common for written works to refer to the others as The Red Ninja, the Blue Ninja, the White Ninja, etc. But with red being the ONLY color constant to her Season 5, 6, and Day of the Departed costumes, during those seasons she could only be referred to as the Water Ninja, and even continuing to call Kai and Jay the Red Ninja and Blue Ninja became a potentially confusing prospect. "Look everybody! It's the Red Ninja!" "Which one?"

I think my favorite costume of hers was definitely her Hands of Time one, which introduced Titanium Metallic to her color scheme (though it could arguably be seen as a callback to her original Samurai X armor) and returned to her distinctive motifs from her past designs the shape of her shirt collar. She still had some Dark Red in that costume, but only for subtle accents that didn't in any way compete for attention with the Dark Azur. And later, it made me quite happy when material for the LEGO Ninjago Movie called her the Silver Ninja (even if it was a bit ironic that this name corresponded to a suit in the LEGO color named Titanium Metallic, considering previously Zane had worn a suit using a lot of the LEGO color Silver Metallic and been called the Titanium Ninja).

I agree with all of this, especially grey drawing parallels to a stormy sea and how the gunmetal grey and azure blue was a nice combination. I'd have personally used that moving forward rather than reverting back to crimson.

9 hours ago, GarmaFan said:

Weird that Zane's suit looks so much like Kai and Nya's in Season 8.

As far as we know, 2019 continues the story, so most likely not.

sounds good it just the ninja suits are different from the ones from s1 and s2 

17 hours ago, Rookie875 said:

The ninja mask pieces and torsos along with the brick used for the Ultra Dragon's eye have leaked on Instagram if anyone was wondering. Everything is looking good so far.

Where did you find the ultra dragon's eyes? I haven't seen them anywhere.

I am so confused with Nya's main colour at this point. Is she really grey/gunmetal, dark red, dark azure? :look: 

The masks look cool. As for the suit, I can see some inspiration from the DX suits.

Wow, theses new suits are something. I was just used to the two piece face masks too. But, I’m pretto excited to see what the sea have in store and the Overlord figure. I figure the story my center around either time travel or reminiscing about the past. Idk if time travel was ever confirmed, but it would give a reason for the new suits. I also hope they have a new armor piece, but that’s just me. 

I completely agree with what’s been said concerning Nya’s suit. Being a more water-like color, I agree that gunmetal should’ve been used over dark red. Additionally, I am sad to see that the lacquered silver from Nya’s movie suit hasn’t returned yet. The silver and azure had a lot of pop when paired with the more muted gunmetal.

That said, dark red and dark azure make for a fantastic color scheme, so I am still content. And I believe, as Jason said, that this color change may only be present in this wave. Time will tell.

I miss Nya's suit being gunmetal - I never liked the clashing azure and maroon (especially of her Possession suit), and I was really hoping the shift to gunmetal gray with azure accents would be permanent, because that just looks really cool. There's a chance this only applies for this "retro" wave and in the future, she'll be back to gunmetal, but we will see. I personally would be ok with a mix of everything like her Hands of Time suit, mainly gunmetal but with accents of maroon and azure.

34 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

Why is Nya a ninja? Aren't these sets based on the first 3 years of Ninjago? Shouldn't she have her Samurai X or original outfit?

Maybe they're not just remakes, but some kind of re-imagining to fit into the current story, considering they also have their new faces? Overlord didn't have a ghost tail and four arms in Season 2 either.

But I really don't know how (if at all) all of it fits into the four-episode special..

• Kruncha, Nuckal and the Skulkin are back
  • Pythor, with the Serpentine, who are villains again apparently
  • The Overlord is back with the Stone Army 
  • Lloyd regains the Golden Power 
  • Dead Ultra Dragon returns to life

..and Oni, who are nowhere to be seen in this wave.

1 hour ago, Takanuinuva said:

Why is Nya a ninja? Aren't these sets based on the first 3 years of Ninjago? Shouldn't she have her Samurai X or original outfit? 

The subjects of the sets (Ultra Dragon, Samurai Mech, Earth Driller, etc) are from past story arcs but all of the minifigures that I've seen are new designs that don't closely resemble previous ones. It's hard to tell at this point whether there might be any new story arc tying in with some or all of them. Time travel's been done a couple times already so I don't think the writers would go that route, but there are also other ways stuff that's already happened in the story or been written out of the story can be revisited but in a more flexible way than a straight-up flashback:

• A story that involves a character having to enter another character's dreams/mind/memories to solve a problem.
  • A story where a reality-warping villain goes on a rampage and reality has to be restored to normal (the Cloud Kingdom introduced in Season 5 is one potential avenue for this)
  • A story where characters are forced to enter some kind of virtual world or video game based on their past adventures ("Enter the Digiverse" dabbled in the first aspect of this story framing but not the second)
  • A story with one or more characters sharing stories about things that happened before, but the way things happen in the stories is full of inaccuracies (either out of forgetfulness, or exaggerating things based on how things felt to them or how they prefer to imagine things happened rather than how they actually happened, or because they actually only know small parts of the story and everything else is filled in by hearsay and guesswork). Often these types of stories have the people who actually lived them provide either ongoing or after-the-fact commentary on how much the people/person telling the story got wrong. This can also come in the form of characters watching an inaccurate movie or heavily staged documentary about themselves.
  • And probably a lot more formats I can't even think of right now.
Edited by Aanchir