Erik Leppen

Opinions on instructions: coloring of internal parts

I am creating digital instructions for a MOC. Now, many parts in the model aren't visible on the end result (structural stuff and SNOT work). So, it doesn't matter which colors those internal parts have. So I wonder, what color would I give these parts in the instructions (and parts lists)?

To give an idea of the type of builds that happen inside my model (The exterior colors are tan, brown, white and pink):

face_snot.png

Internal parts would be signified to tell builders that these can be "any color". So the first question is: would you care whether instructions told you which parts are internal? Or would you use the signified color anyway, even when you know you can swap it for another? Would you be bothered?

One obvious option is to pick a color that's not in the model (say, yellow), and show all internal parts in that color. It will be obvious from photos that the model doesn't use yellow, so all yellow parts have to be internal. However, this makes a complex internal build into one large yellow blob, which would be hard to decipher. Also, not all parts exist in yellow (such as the balljoint plates), so those parts would still have to be in a different color. Also, my model uses

• 1x1 bricks with stud on 1 side
  • 1x1 bricks with studs on 2 opposite sides
  • 1x1 bricks with studs on 2 adjacent sides
  • 1x1 bricks with studs on all sides

I think it'd be better if those were different colors. So I'd be tempted to "color code" the various snot 1x1 bricks, so that it's easier to see which is which.

That sort of leads to the idea of "color coding" all internal parts. I pick some random (but existing) color for each part type, and all internal parts of that type are that color (e.g. all 1x1 Technic bricks are lime). The big advantage is that the color coding makes it immediately clear where parts go in each step, making instructions easier. However, it looks messy. Also, unaware builders might think they need to buy lime 1x1 Technic bricks, even though they could just as well use any other color. Also, Rebrickable has no "any color" option, so lime 1x1 Technic bricks might end up on someone's parts wishlist if they were to "part out" the model.

I could go for some kind of middle ground and color-code most parts in gray or other neutral colors, with some special or similar parts such as snot 1x1 bricks in various other colors.

But I wonder what others think of these considerations.

When I do MOCs that will be for sale, I do all internal bricks and plates in Red Yellow and Blue unless one of the colors for the exterior is one of those. I will usually swap in Green as a back up. I then just color them in layers so that its easy to see the construction when building just like TLG does it. If there are specialized parts I will put them in the cheapest color available at the time of building (usually LBG for SNOT and joint parts). Then I just have a note to the builder as the first page calling out any alternate builds I have included and part substitutions that may be used including a note that the Red/Blue/Yellow parts are all internal. I supply the parts list as well for my builds and I leave them as Red/Blue/Yellow for that as well.

My reasoning for those colors specifically is, that besides black and white, those 3 colors are the longest produced LEGO colors. They are likely to be cheap and available in plates and bricks and can be purchased easily if someone doesn't ave a bunch of parts already on hand. 

Edited by supertruper1988

47 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Also, Rebrickable has no "any color" option, so lime 1x1 Technic bricks might end up on someone's parts wishlist if they were to "part out" the model.

That "any color" option is a good idea! Bring this issue to Nathan Thom's attention over at Rebrickable. He just might do something like that.

Thanks for raising this question. This is something I was wondering myself for quite some time. My idea was to use some odd colour for all internal parts intentionally making then wrong/unavailable on Rebrickable. I was thinking of purple to be a good candidate.

However now that you mention I wonder if you are making instructions based on LDD or LDraw model? I've seen instruction of LDraw based model have an option to highlight parts used in current step. This would mean you don't need colour coding the internal parts.

16 minutes ago, zux said:

This would mean you don't need colour coding the internal parts.

Colour coding is still useful to know what part you need (the little list on top of the step isn’t always readable, especially in certain colours).

If a part can be in any color, I usually choose the cheapest color on bricklink (while maintaining some sort of logic and color coding). This makes it easy for builders to buy parts (all cheapest colors are already selected, no need to do extra work).